Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Waggy v Green

Comments

• Options

Part of the fascination with Green is that we are probably all waiting to see him play "properly", from the off, 100% fit. Could be one of our best players but nobody really knows yet.

You have to look at the opposition as well. Green may be better suited to certain games where early crosses may expose oppositions' weaknesses.

What is certain is that we have a much stonger bench now whether Green/Waggy is there.

Can't wait for Greeny to start personally but the Wagster has done nothing wrong. 

• Options
    In time I think Green will be in the starting line up every week from what I have seen of him, overall I think he has more to offer that wagstaff but still think wagstaff is decent enough to always make the 16.

Green looks like more what you want from your right winger...even considering waggys goals and contribution, Green is more of an attacking threat.
  • Options
    It seems to me that many people decided who they wanted in the starting 11 before the season even started.
    There's obviously not much chance of changing their mind so Wagstaff may as well move to another club in the transfer window. Then the majority will be happy.

• Options
    haven't read all this thread and i could be repeating what's been said but to me they both offer something different. Wagstaff offers real pace and i think the team will lack that without him although i can see that he'd be the answer as an impact sub in the second half. Green is a great crosser and will use the ball well but you have to have players who will create space for others by dragging defenders out of position and taking them on which Wagstaff does. It's a real conundrum and i think Powell will start waggy saturday but there's no doubt that an opportunity will open up for Green soon.
  • Options
    It seems to me that many people decided who they wanted in the starting 11 before the season even started. 
    There's obviously not much chance of changing their mind so Wagstaff may as well move to another club in the transfer window. Then the majority will be happy.

I certainly didn't, I didn't know any of em.... 
  • Options
    There is a bit of truth in what all of you are saying. Luckily we have people that we pay to make these decisions for us, although perhaps I should say that it basically depends upon whether we are at home or away and upon who we are playing. Tactical decisions will probably win or lose us promotion this season. 
  • Options
    I think Green will start in an away game against 'lesser' opposition. Putting him in from the start in a game like this weekend's would not be a sensible move. Waggy should start with Green on the bench but give him 30 minutes or so at the end to show what he can do.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    What a strange debate.

It certainly shows the fans who when at a game follow the ball, and those who have a fuller appreciation of how the game is actually played - and what a manager may require from an individual player as part of the team unit, as each player must perform to his manager's instructions.

Ten out of ten starts for Waggy indicates to me that Powell thinks he is doing the job for the team.

• Options

I know this will get me slagged. I have a real thing about Wagstaff, basically, I think he is pretty hopeless. Occasional glimpses of brilliance and some good goals don't make a footballer. He runs with the ball fast - end of. He never beats a man, and cannot cross a ball.

All the time he wears the shirt I will cheer and encourage, but I think its all in vain. For me ( and this is the ultimate insult ) I think Lloyd Sam was better, and I thought he was crap !!

This is my opinion. I believe that he is not in SCP's long term plans. Once he is out I think he will stay out. Maybe a good impact sub.

"I have a real thing about Wagstaff" - so you've made your mind up about him, and no amount of evidence to the contrary will change your mind? That's a pretty blinkered viewpoint. I was critical of him in the past, but he's improving all the time.

Cannot cross? Assist for the BWP goal the other week. Cannot head it? Scored from a header away at Luton last season. These may be few and far between, but for people to say he 'never' does either are simply wrong.

And it's rather apt that you mention Lloyd Sam. He also came in for some ridiculous criticism as well. He was definitely better than Waggy at the time we had him, but I'm not so sure he is now.

Anyhow, it's a nice dilemma to have. Both Green and Waggy would walk into a lot of teams in the division.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Another thing ....... to think we have the quality of proven players like Green, Alonso and Kermorgant etc to come in as soon as required, backed up by evergreens like Euell and Hughes desperate for a game.

Good position for Powell to be in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good position for Powell to be in. has created for himself

;-)
  • Options
    Good position for Powell to be in. has created for himself

;-)
    This. He maybe a little green tactically, which will improve with experience, but you absolutely cannot fault the vision he has for the club.
  • Options
    With both being either knackered/drop in form or not match fit I guess its a bit 50/50, however I think its likely that waggers will start as we are away and Green may not be fully fit, to come on at half time if waggers aint up to it

• Options

Waggy is quite simply the most unappreciated player in our squad.

Okay Danny Green played well last year but maybe hes not shown as much as Powell wants him to be showing this season.

Waggys workrate is incredible and the partnership he has with Solly would not be the same with any other player.

As it goes though, whoever Powell plays I'm sure it will be for the best.

In Powell we trust.

• Options
    Do we need to change our away form?  Can our home form improve?  In tighter matches at home, Green may just have the edge for his offensive precision.

Either way I'm a big fan of Waggy.  Hopefully by training with Green he'll know when to look up and when to cross, rather than trying to play the game full-pelt at times. 
  • Options
    Just going to trust CP on this one. He see's them everyday in training, we don't. If Waggy is tired or has lost form, then the change to Green should be made. No point in having strength in depth and not using it.
    In some of the tough away games, it may pay to go to a 4 5 1 with Hughes in midfield. Then it may be beneficial to play Green with either Hayes or Kermogant as the lone front man.
  • Options

As`poor as we have been in this half, Green needs to start saturday he is simply just a better player than wagstaff even though wag is playing out of position.

• Options
    Green needs to start saturday, tonight he was our only creative spark and looked assured on the ball, if they hadnt kept hacking him out he may well have scored.
  • Options
    But Green's crossing was poor and that's meant to be his best attribute. Corners poor too.
  • Options
    I'm not Wagstaff's biggest fan (as one regular lifer will know from tonight) but Green and himself were both average. One flash of talent each but not much apart from that, although both worked hard.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    But Green's crossing was poor and that's meant to be his best attribute. Corners poor too.

But he did go past the defenders which more the wagstaff does.
  • Options
    Neither did enough tonight to cement their place so my guess is Waggy will keep it as he can at least say he was playing out of position.
  • Options
    I thought Green was good tonight. The kind of game a winger plays means that some of what he does will come off and some won't. There's no winger who puts the ball on the striker's head every time he hits it. The important thing was he showed forward impetus, spark and a desire to get the ball forward.
  • Options
    I thought green was junk for the major part of this evening with a few flashes of brilliance and waggy is waggy definitley not a striker , had a nice dig at the end but too many runs into dead ends/oppo players , he'll never score ten league goals in a season again
    Both looked frustrated in last nights game
    I'd chose green cos he's a flair player with natural ability, like myself and I'd rather the more gung ho approach than the he helps solly out defensively waggy who is beginning to offer less and less per game as the season goes on but by know means a clear cut case in SCP we trust
    One aim
  • Options
    I posted the following in the post-match threat last night but probably more suited here:

Well, at least we know know he's going to give someone else a start on saturday, my guess will be Green.

The
    reason I know this is: The competition rules state that at least 6
    players in the starting line up must have started the previous league
    game OR the next league game.

Taylor, Jackson, Stephens, Wagstaff
    & Hayes were the 5 from saturdays game, Which means at least one
    other who started last night farce game must start on saturday.

The
    only one I can see is Green. Def not Doc, Alonso or Hughes. Although
    Evina is looking good, So is Rhoys so can't see him being dropped. The
    only other change I thought might happen at the weekend is Kermit for
    Hayes, but as Kermit came on as a sub, this rules him out (although he
    could still start). Hamer to retain his shirt as well.

Call me sherlock. ;-)

• Options

Once.  One nutmeg and then he was fouled.

He also ran onto a good pass from Hayes and won a free kick on the edge of the D which he wasted.

Green will play a lot better but no way did he put in anything more than a poor to OK performance last night.

Halo and Horns with Green and Waggy
  • Options

Once.  One nutmeg and then he was fouled.

He also ran onto a good pass from Hayes and won a free kick on the edge of the D which he wasted.

Green will play a lot better but no way did he put in anything more than a poor to OK performance last night.

Halo and Horns with Green and Waggy
    How was the freekick wasted? It was on target and the keeper made (his only one of the half I think) a save.
  • Options

They were both average at best last night.

What's the point of this thread ?

It's been done to death. Move on.

• Options
    hang on ... it's just getting good
  • Options
    Green all day long waggys enthusiasm and energy cannot be faulted but that don't win matches ability does and I don't think he has much