Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Waggy v Green

Comments

• Options
    why are we worrying about having a winger who can defend?, let other teams worry about us and Green - I suspect the opposing full back won't be attacking quite so much with Green playing anyway
  • Options
    Both good. But sticky with Wagstaff for now. Played well most of the time, some people have just been waiting for an excuse to drop him.
    Bet Green wouldnt have scored that Volley a few weeks back
  • Options

Onr thing is for sure, both have important parts to play for the rest of the season. The question nobody on here can answer is how fit is green. The fact he hasnt even been making the bench as recently as last saturday makes me suspect not very. If SCP thinks he can only last hour then that's the answer - for now!

• Options

I like Waggy but I'm afraid that Green is/will be the Beckham of League 1. His crossing and dead ball ability is 2nd to none.

Waggy will end up being a good impact player coming from the bench.

• Options
    What makes you think that?
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Tend to agree with Scoham that it's not quite as straightforward as some are saying. Waggy offers a good understanding with Solly and a good work ethic. He also offers a very good return in goals. He is not a typical winger in that he doesn't have great crossing ability but makes up for that deficiency with the abilities I mentioned above. Green does have a magical delivery and would be useful at set pieces but don't expect the same level of rappore with Solly or the prodigious work rate. Good problem for CP to have but not a clear cut choice IMHO.

Pretty much my view, the partnership and understanding with Solly are very important in my view. But at MK Dons we were told that Green is taking a while to get over the virus.  I'd want to see more of Green before deciding, how do we know that, he too won't turn out to be frustrating and inconsistent? What if he's got one of these nasty little debilitating viruses that keep coming back? I'm very wary of alienating Waggy at this stage, so I'd keep him in the starting line up and bring Green as a sub. Green will get fitter and then decisions will become easier to make
  • Options
    What makes you think that?
    Because it was a very easy one to miss.
    Waggy was the right person, right place, right time.

Anyway, I rate them both, just think some are a bit unfair on waggy. They'l both play there part this season.
  • Options
    Imho a winger/wide man should beat the player, be nippy and be able to put a good ball in. To say a winger dosen't need to be able to do this is crazy. Waggy dosen't do this enough for me. Can't fault his effort, he runs for 90mins puts tackles in, helps Solly out etc but he hasn't got the final ball 90% of times that our forwards are looking for. For me Green should start with a view to bringing Waggy on as an impact sub.
  • Options
    Imho a winger/wide man should beat the player, be nippy and be able to put a good ball in. To say a winger dosen't need to be able to do this is crazy. Waggy dosen't do this enough for me. Can't fault his effort, he runs for 90mins puts tackles in, helps Solly out etc but he hasn't got the final ball 90% of times that our forwards are looking for. For me Green should start with a view to bringing Waggy on as an impact sub.
    But that makes no sense.

Why bring Waggy on as an impact sub if he can't cross or beat his man or put a good ball in?

Truth is Waggy does do those things AND he scores goals AND he creates goals AND he defends.

Green will start soon enough and we'll see more crosses into the box and Green can take a good free kick.  But well also see Solly under more pressure IMO.

Take away the penalties he took and Green's goal scoring record is about the same waggy's last season.

Two good players, two different styles, like them both but can't understand how we've gone unbeaten for 10 league games during which Waggy has played a vital part but needs to be outed at the first opportunity doesn't make sense.
  • Options

For the right wing berth it may have to come down simply to who's in form, unless a fully-fit Green turns out to be a notch up on Waggyy, or Waggy becomes more consistent across & during games.  It's good to have options.

I'd also like to see one of them be able to switch wings when required.  Jacko is never going to skin a full back, and in any case might be a better option in the centre when (say) Stephens tires or switches off in games, which he seems prone to.  This, plus the option for Waggy to play off a striker, means it needn't be either/or all the time, and that's what SCP should be saying to them (+ the other midfielders & forwards).  It's great to have real choices & depth for the first time in eons, and we may have to get used to a bit of rotation

• Sponsored links:

• Options

For the right wing berth it may have to come down simply to who's in form, unless a fully-fit Green turns out to be a notch up on Waggyy, or Waggy becomes more consistent across & during games.  It's good to have options.

I'd also like to see one of them be able to switch wings when required.  Jacko is never going to skin a full back, and in any case might be a better option in the centre when (say) Stephens tires or switches off in games, which he seems prone to.  This, plus the option for Waggy to play off a striker, means it needn't be either/or all the time, and that's what SCP should be saying to them (+ the other midfielders & forwards).  It's great to have real choices & depth for the first time in eons, and we may have to get used to a bit of rotation

good points
  • Options
    Green had a virus.

The rest of us have scarlet fever.

Now where did I put my coat ......?
  • Options
    Waggy still starts for me, I also see Green as more of an impact player for the moment as proven in the last game.
  • Options
    It varies every game with these two.

Both have contrasting styles and Powell will pick the more appropriate player dependant on the opposition, venue and tactics.
  • Options
    Henry

Waggy very rarely beats his man, Isn't quick and dosen't put too many good crosses in. He isn't strong on the ball either. He does pop up with the odd goal or two (Hence impact sub suggestion?) plus he would cause trouble as the opp defenders would be tiring.
    Makes perfect sense..
  • Options
    Waggy isn't quick?  Really

If as you say he is so limited how will he make an impact and how did he score all those goals last season and this.

"Odd goal or two" is just laughable.  Compare his goals from open play with Green's last season.
  • Options
    No he isn't quick.
    As I said if he came on with 15-20mins to go with the opp tiring he would make an impact. Perhaps even playing off the front man?
    Why is the odd one or two goals laughable?
  • Options
    Why is the odd one or two goals laughable?
    10 goals, no pens and mainly from midfield, last season is a bit more than the "odd goal or two" but just goes to prove what I was saying.

Waggy's pluses are dismissed and his negatives highlighted.  Green got 13 goals last team but 6 were penalties.
  • Options
    @agim saying waggy isnt quick is like saying Doherty could catch Usain Bolt
  • Options
    I don't think he is stand out quick. Especially running with the ball. Not saying his a bad playing but Im saying I would prefer green to start which is what this thread is about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think he is stand out quick. Especially running with the ball. Not saying his a bad playing but Im saying I would prefer green to start which is what this thread is about?
    It is indeed but to dismiss Waggy's goals and pace is somewhat biased. Still, you're entitled to your opinion.
  • Options

Green can defend, and a LOT better than Waggy.

At MK Green challanged for TWO... YES TWO! headers, smashing wagstaffs record of 1 header in how many seasons?

At the end of the day, the wagstaff love-in has to stop. He scores a few and grew up with Cafc, yep, very good. But Green is wasted on our bench and what it comes down to is that Green was handed Waggys No.7 for a reason.

Maybe I'm being harsh on waggy, but he can only play at the valley. Which is no good. We can't have that. Green won't bottle it at away grounds and will give us a goal or assist if we need it. Coming of the bench to do that is a tall order. START HIM!

• Options

I know this will get me slagged. I have a real thing about Wagstaff, basically, I think he is pretty hopeless. Occasional glimpses of brilliance and some good goals don't make a footballer. He runs with the ball fast - end of. He never beats a man, and cannot cross a ball.

All the time he wears the shirt I will cheer and encourage, but I think its all in vain. For me ( and this is the ultimate insult ) I think Lloyd Sam was better, and I thought he was crap !!

This is my opinion. I believe that he is not in SCP's long term plans. Once he is out I think he will stay out. Maybe a good impact sub.

• Options
    This is what I mean.  Wagstaff has only headed the ball once.   How ridiculous a statement is that?

Green is a good player.  If he gets the nod to start I really hope he does well but we don't need to rubbish other good players to justify that decision or make up silly "facts" about lack of speed or no headers.

Silly conversation now so I'm out
  • Options
    It's not a silly fact its my opinion.
  • Options
    @agim saying waggy isnt quick is like saying Doherty could catch Usain Bolt

Even if Bolt was asleep I'd doubt it
  • Options
    Think Waggy has come in for some very unnecessary stick here. 

For starters he is pacey and he is a threat which is why full backs love to chop him down. His work rate is fantastic and his goals are well taken. On a counter attack he is very dangerous and the ball he put in for the third against Chesterfield was brilliant showing he does have the ability to put a ball in, ok it may not be his ultimate strength but he has more to his game than crossing. Also as others have said his link with Solly is first class which is undoubtedly a massive boost to both players.

We have been unbeaten in the league with him in the team and to replace him with Green due to a bad half of football would be a poor decision in my opinion. Don't get me wrong i think we have a brilliant player in Green and i am looking forward to seeing more of him in a Charlton shirt. However for him to replace Waggy for one of our biggest games of the season after a decent cross at MK Don's would be short sighted.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Same team for Sheffield as for MK, unless BWP is injured. Then Kermit in. All those saying drop Waggy cos he had one mediocre game should take a long look at themselves. I see Green who cannot be totally match fit as a 60th minute sub for Waggy if he (Waggy) has another bad game.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm deliberatley staying out out of this 'argument' ..... 

Its got to be Waggy all day long :-0
  • Options
    If we went on the basis of dropping a player after one bad half, we'd have barely fielded the same 11 twice this season. As a team they've been exceptional even if one or two individually had relatively poor games/halves. Wagstaff can't be dropped outright yet, but Green will be pushing him all the way.