Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Waggy v Green

Comments

• Options
    there you go I told you
    .. just getting started (again)
  • Options
    Repeat, regurgitate, same old same old, blah blah,blah.
  • Options
    and that's different to most of the threads on here because ....
  • Options
    Green all day long waggys enthusiasm and energy cannot be faulted but that don't win matches ability does and I don't think he has much
    That will explain the long unbeaten run with 8 wins out of 11 that we've had with Waggy in the team.

No, you're right we can't win matches with Waggy in the side.
  • Options
    Think we speculated in an earlier thread that if Waggy and Hayes started, their places may be under threat. Green started because he needs games and had Kermit started I would have thought that Hayes' place was under threat too. I suspect that Chrissy will keep Kermit as a sub and I'm not sure Green did enough given that Waggy's performance cannot be counted as he was playing out of position. Expect an unchanged side from Staurday, injuries permitting.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Seeing as we only played 5 first teamers against Brentford, who will be dropped tomorrow Hayes,Waggy or someone else?
  • Options
    Nobody else- Taylor, Stephens and JJ safe as houses.
  • Options
    Unchanged side saturday then we will get a fine. One change is required to fall into the paintpot rules
  • Options
    enlighten me - now I am confused!
  • Options
    The rules of the jpt state a team has to play at least 6 players who started the previous league game or who will start the next league game. it's utterly pathetic to be honest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hamer injured
  • Options
    edited October 2011

Yes, it makes sense now-  Powell obviously did it to minimise the number of first teamers he was going to play. I didn't really give it too much thought that he only played 5. No hang on -So he played 5 to allow him to pick 6 for Saturday!!! Seems a bit odd that he didn't put another Saturday player on and take them straight off. Waggy and Green are competing for same position so he would have to find 2 changes - can't be right. 

• Options
    Henry's message clarifies - so Sullivan is no1, Taylor no2, JJ no3, Stephens  no4, Hayes no5 and Green or Waggy no6.
  • Options
    Hamer injured
    Cheers Henry didnt realise.
  • Options
    Chrissy isn't stupid- that would have caught me out!
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2011
    Well Danny done nothing to convince me he's better than Wagstaff today. Left Solly exposed far too often by drifting into the centre and can't remember a single cross from him.
  • Options
    Having called for Greens inclusion I have to say on today's performance, I was wrong. Sorry Waggy.
  • Options
    Well Danny done nothing to convince me he's better than Wagstaff today. Left Solly exposed far too often by drifting into the centre and can't remember a single cross from him.

not so, he put one good cross in.  One.

Shouldn't write Green off after a disappointing display just as we shouldn't overlook what Waggy does for the team.

• Options
    At the end of the day, the whole team was lack lustre today. Lets make judgements after Christmas eh? They both have good qualities, it's just that most haven't seen Green's yet.
  • Options
    Agree Green didn't impress today but no doubt he can play much better.

Both are good players and after the last 2 games it's even clearer that there isn't as much between them as the hype over Green suggested.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BWP... Let's clone him

• Options
    I thought Green was very underwhelming today. I'd start with Wagstaff at Stevenage.
  • Options
    I think Waggy and Solly are a special combinaton.

So I am finding it hard to understand why Waggy didn't start today.

I'm sure Green is a good player at this level. But as far as I can see, there was no good reason for him to play instead of Waggy today.

I'm glad he's pushing Waggy for the shirt. We need more of that competition throighout the side. But Waggy had done nothing to lose the shirt  and Green had shown nothing to make a compelling reason for him to win it.

Puzzled...
  • Options
    I can understand the theory today , of Danny putting crosses in for Yann , unfortunately this did not happen often enough , Danny has struggled in my eyes since he signed for us in that 1st he was suspended and then ill , you can see the frustration in him with his play , i'm sure he will come good , we all have good days and bad days.
  • Options

Both probably have potential to improve and play at a higher level, but they're both also playing in League 1 for reason at the present stage in their career.

I've yet to see Green play in the flesh but from the game on Wednesday and the snippets of highlights he looks a typical winger - capable of the odd moment of worldy skill but also prone to drifting out of games and getting a bit frustrated and petulant.

Waggy on the other hand is an atypical winger because he works very hard and always does his bit for the team, even if he's not influencing things in attack. The flip side of that is he's less likely to produce the moment of magic that unlocks and tight defence. His finishing can be excellent, but in an attacking sense he's chance taker rather than a chance creator, generally speaking, which means the weakest part of his game is probably a winger's main job. It makes him a bit of an odd case. However, the fact he's good at the other things that many wingers neglect sets him apart from the crowd and he's come on a lot since his debut where he was a willing runner but a bit of headless chicken. All that means he can potentially forge a very good career for himself if he can continue to work at his game and hopefully add a trick and more consistent quality of cross.

Likewise, if Green takes a leaf from Waggy's book and works harder at the dirty work he can do well for himself too.

Personally, at this time I would favour the player with the better attitude which would seem to be Waggy. Anyone who has been watching Charlton since the early nineties will surely see parellels with the Robson vs Robinson debate and we all know who eventually won that battle.

That said, although Waggy has done little wrong this year we have laboured a little bit in breaking down defences at The Valley so I can understand why Powell felt it was worth trying Green's creativity over Waggy's endeavour but I think the last couple of games have shown that a few people got over excited at the Green signing and that Waggy has been a bit unfairly singled out as a weak link.

Both will surely play their part this year though, and in fact already have.

• Options
    after today I'm going back to Waggy
  • Options
    I can understand the theory today , of Danny putting crosses in for Yann ,
    I thought that as well - also makes more sense to make the change in a home game as Waggy offers us more defensively in the away fixtures

To be fair to Green he always looks to put a cross in but a lot of the game passed him by as it was pinged around in the air or down the left flank
  • Options
    This is what happens when you try to break up a good partnership on the flank.
  • Options
    I'm slightly concerned that the Waggy/Green paradox will soon become a way of judging SCP's managerial capability. Take today for instance, we have been debating whether Green should start since Colchester away (I think), he has started today and after a below average performance some are questioning why we changed a winning formula. One thing is for sure, we can't start Waggy one Saturday, have Green in for the next, and then return to Waggy for the one straight after (Stevenage). Green must have a run now. This is SCP's problem.
  • Options
    too many people going over board about Green before they had seen him play...now people watching him once and saying Waggy should come back in...it is clear to me they both have strengths and weaknesses and both will probably do well if given a run.