Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Waggy v Green

Comments

• Options

Once green is fully fit there really isn't an arguement, but until that point, Waggy to start.

• Options

Green to start - Waggy on the bench and swap then after 70/75 mins or when Green is knackered if before.

Green has so much quality in his crossing that its criminal to leave him on the bench whilst we watch Waggy dither this way & that before passing the ball back to Solly ! 

Waggy shouldn't be in the team for his defensive duties,or that he runs around alot, or that he is a good egg - if he can't deliver a cross then play a man who can !!!

Sorry mate but defensive duties are a must in this league, for every player. Leave your fullbacks exposed and unprotected? No thanks.
    This is running on the assumption that Green cant defend? Learning basic defending and tracking your man is a lot easier to teach than crossing a peach of a ball or deliverying a dangerous free kick. Call me old school but I like a winger to be a winger
  • Options

Green to start - Waggy on the bench and swap then after 70/75 mins or when Green is knackered if before.

Green has so much quality in his crossing that its criminal to leave him on the bench whilst we watch Waggy dither this way & that before passing the ball back to Solly ! 

Waggy shouldn't be in the team for his defensive duties,or that he runs around alot, or that he is a good egg - if he can't deliver a cross then play a man who can !!!

Sorry mate but defensive duties are a must in this league, for every player. Leave your fullbacks exposed and unprotected? No thanks.
    This is running on the assumption that Green cant defend? Learning basic defending and tracking your man is a lot easier to teach than crossing a peach of a ball or deliverying a dangerous free kick. Call me old school but I like a winger to be a winger
    This
  • Options

People miss the amount that Waggy adds to team and particularly to Solly.  It'd be a risk for such a massive away match, particularly when Green demonstrated his value as an impact sub.

At the moment, I have to agree with McLovin, above. Green's time will come, sooner or later.

Anyway, debate is largely irrelevant, because Powell will make the change when he feels the time is right.Then we'll have the answer.

• Options

Waggys work rate is unquestionable.  Greens crosses semms to be better.

For what it's worth I think Sollys performance seems to suffer if he's playing behind Green instead of Waggy.  Our problem over the last few seasons has been conceding too many goals.  Keep it tight at the back, play Waggy, keep Green for times we need to chase a game, Like at Franchise FC.

Start Waggy at Sheffield, green on the bench.

• Options
    Wagstaff has one bad 45 (allegedley, I wasn't there) & the knives are out despite being an important part of our succesful start. Admittedley his crossing or ability to beat a man isn't the best but then we have a striker whos natural instinct 2 yards from goal is to try & control the ball rather than hit it first time & yet most seem to want him in the team. Waggys speed stretches the opponents defence & even if he does pass back to Solly I thought this year it was about keeping possession & with 2 defenders coming across to cover waggy a pass back & a quick pass inside by Solly can take advantage of the space. I would definately keep Green on the bench & use him as the impact sub. Wagstaff is versatile enough to move positions if neccessary & can run all day long so until his form dips on a regular basis keep him in. 
  • Options
    No knives out, just a discussion. Green is the better of 2 good players & should now start.  
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Put Green's crossing ability on Wagstaff and we'll have a bloody decent player!!
    No issue with his work rate but if Wagstaff could use his pace to beat his man rather than running into him or back tracking then we'd have a bloody decent player. 

Green does all of the things Waggy doesnt seem to be able to so seems like a no brainer, Waggy will only ever be Lloyd Sam at best, he just hasnt moved forward over the past couple of years 
  • Options

Put Green's crossing ability on Wagstaff and we'll have a bloody decent player!!
    If Wagstaff could use his pace to beat his man rather than running into him or back tracking then we'd have a bloody decent player. Green does all this and cross the ball and likes a pot shot, seems like a no brainer, Waggy will only ever be Lloyd Sam at best, he just hasnt moved forward over the past couple of years 
    Waggy does beat his man fairly often. Unfortunately he then decides to backtrack too often. If instead he put a cross in, particularly of the quality that we know Green can deliver, then nobody would be having this debate.

At the end of the day, it comes down to whether you think the attacking ability of Green outweighs the overall contribution of Waggy. Given the teams position and Waggys goals so far this season, I prefer Scott Wagstaff, with Green on the bench as an impact sub.
  • Options

I find it a touch amusing that people prefer Waggy, yet possibly haven't seen much of Green to be able to judge.

I admit I'm not an expert on Green, but have been watching him closely, since covered end junior pointed him out to me a couple of seasons ago.

It's a no brainer for me. Green is the better player and should start. If he doesn't perform then Waggy should come back in.

Once again. not a criticism of Waggy who has done well.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

No issue with his work rate but if Wagstaff could use his pace to beat his man rather than running into him or back tracking then we'd have a bloody decent player. 

Green does all of the things Waggy doesnt seem to be able to so seems like a no brainer, Waggy will only ever be Lloyd Sam at best, he just hasnt moved forward over the past couple of years 

I have to disagree with you there.

Lloyd Sam scored far less goals than Waggy, left his full back more exposed than Waggy and invariably blew up after about an hour.

As for not moving forward over the last couple of years that weedy little boy Pardew almost destroyed from day 1 has now filled out to be an effective John Robinson type player who is now systematically targeted by opposition defenders as exemplified by the "penalty foul" on him against Chesterfield.

Solly has done well and I like him but the over the top plaudits some are giving him are because of Waggy's hard work and support but people are blind to Waggy's good points and home in on the bad like they did with Lisbie, Kishishev and Leaburn before him.

I wasn't at the game last night so cannot expressly comment on his performance but Kevin Nolan says BWP headed narrowly wide from a Waggy cross. Secondly he took a lot of knocks against Chesterfield and may not have been fully recovered just 3 days later which could have hindered him.

• Options
    edited September 2011

I find it a touch amusing that people prefer Waggy, yet possibly haven't seen much of Green to be able to judge.

I admit I'm not an expert on Green, but have been watching him closely, since covered end junior pointed him out to me a couple of seasons ago.

It's a no brainer for me. Green is the better player and should start. If he doesn't perform then Waggy should come back in.

Green did a good job as an impact sub. He isn't fully fit probably so better for Waggy to tire the defenders. We also know Solly plays well with Waggy.
  • Options

On one hand I'd say that my Waggy preference is based on not having seen enough of Danny yet and Waggy performing well.  Funnily enough though I think that the preference for Green is largely based on people who are - as you admit yourself - not an expert on Green.  The manager is, and I've no doubt that we'll see him deployed soon and in games that suit him.  Whatever, I cannot imagine that there'll be many team with such great options wide on the right.

• Options
    If we drop Waggy for Green after 1 bad half then the same needs to apply in reverse.  When Green is innefective then he comes off and doesnt start the next game
    He's had about four bad first halfs .. and quite a few bad second halfs too
  • Options
    A few have said Waggy should try and take his man on more often. However, if he then loses the ball people moan at that. You can't have it both ways. I'd much rather we kept possession, even if that does mean going backwards (although clearly not everyone thinks this way given some of the booing against Exeter). It's not as if he never beats his man, he's just playing a percentage game - that most of the time the defender will come out on top.

And to say he hasn't improved over the last couple of years is laughable. He is a far more effective player than 2 years ago.
  • Options
    Greeny for me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a little bit of squad rotation, if the reports are true and there were some tired legs out there lastnight it has to be done. We know Waggy can come off the bench and make an impact - 70 minutes for Danny on Saturday, Kermy to be given a chance to pressure Hayes - Cameos only count for some much. Hollands needs time to recuperate, we might even see a change in formation.
  • Options
    Agree with dabos, far better than doing a Kyel Reid/Lee Martin and end up losing the ball.

Waggy shouldn't be underestimated, if we get back to the Champ and eventually Prem I could still see him playing a part for us. Like Solly he's an intelligent player who keeps learning and working hard at his game. Again like Solly it's not so obvious when compared to more "exciting" players.

He's not a dribbler or a crosser but a wide player doesn't have to be one of those types. He offers a goal threat, gets a few assists, keeps possession, helps out his full back. Not only that he can offer all that over the full 90 minutes. Can't complain that he pulls out of challenges either, far better than most wingers we've had over recent years.

Two years ago people wanted Waggy in the team because Sam was said to be lazy, unfit, pulled out of tackles and didn't score goals. Now we have a player who offers that they moan he can't cross and won't take on defenders.

Not convinced myself that just because Green is clearly a much better crosser that it means he's levels above Wagstaff. I know Green was ill against Preston but that game showed what he can be like on a bad day - looking for the killer ball almost every time which lead to him giving the ball away far too often.

I really don't think there's as much between the two as is often suggested. It's just Green's strengths are far more obvious and he offers exactly what Wagstaff doesn't. Just as Wagstaff appeared to back when Sam was first choice.
  • Options

Waggy has earned his place and deserves to keep it - so I'd start him at Bramwall Lane. Despite his two below par performances he had a great game at Spotlands.

Green is certainly pushing for a start and his cameo last night can only have enhanced his chances. He will definetly get plenty of time on the pitch for us this season and will make a difference in games.

My guess is that SCP will be telling Waggy that he's had an excellent start to the season, he'll start on Saturday, but he needs to up his game to keep his place. He will then go to Green and say more of the same and you'll be one of the first names on my team sheet.

Now watch Green start and Waggy not even on the bench :-)

• Options
    Scoham I have never disagreed with your excellent posts, so I won't start now. You have convinced me to keep a more open mind.
  • Options
    Tend to agree with Scoham that it's not quite as straightforward as some are saying. Waggy offers a good understanding with Solly and a good work ethic. He also offers a very good return in goals. He is not a typical winger in that he doesn't have great crossing ability but makes up for that deficiency with the abilities I mentioned above. Green does have a magical delivery and would be useful at set pieces but don't expect the same level of rappore with Solly or the prodigious work rate. Good problem for CP to have but not a clear cut choice IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure about Green's long throw though - seems to have more altitude than distance.

'The Green Howitzer'

• Options
    CP needs to sort out the shape and defensive line, before we can risk Green as he doesn't track back like Waggy.
  • Options
    both
  • Options
    So far this season, we've seen Waggy as the tight team player tracking, covering and moving well on and off the ball.
    He's one of those players that helps tie a team together.

Green has that bit more flair and that trademark cross - but in the relatively little we've seen of him so far, hasn't shown quite the same tight team work as Waggy. That may soon come, of course.

Obviously (had to say that), they are different players, and they each bring different qualities to the team;
    It's not a straight comparison.
  • Options
    We've been crying out for a good crosser for years and now we have one think he should be on the bench?

If he can carry on putting quality balls into the box then for me there is only one option. If we are to be promoted and stay up we are going to need the game changing quality that Green seemingly can deliver (especially as previously said in a tight game).

Waggy for all his industry doesn't seem to have that in his locker even though he scores a few... but maybe Green will do this also?

Also, as frustrating as Sam was I can't remember many calls for Wagstaff to replace him from around where I sit.

• Options
     We are saying Waggy can't cross. The ball he put in for BWP was top class. It was a fast ball through to him from Yann and Waggy put it in without taking a touch whilst he was off balance. He also had a man on him. I thought it was a perfect cross! Yes he can't cross  as well as Green but he covers his full back a lot more. In this league (as said above), it's vital that every man can help out defensively. I also think his attitude is better.

I think he is our most underrated player along with Hayes.

Waggy has to be starting games until Green is FULLY fit and until his performance drops completely. 
  • Options
    What is this 'Danny Green doesn't defend' meme come from?
  • Options
    What is this 'Danny Green doesn't defend' meme come from?
    Presumably the same as where 'Wagstaff doesn't cross.'
  • Options
    Shaping up to be a nice little battle for the shirt.

Waggy has had a solid start to the season, though sounded to be below par in the first 45 last night. Solid is exactly what he is; no thrills but a tremendous workrate and one of those players that i think is always much more valued by those in the game than those sitting in the stands.

Green however was one of our big signings, and showed last night with his cameo that he has the attacking quality to be a potential game changer, a real valuable commodity.

Personally, i see Waggy starting up at Sheff U as i don't believe Green to be at full fitness yet and the energy and defensive cover Waggy usually provides will be more valued from the start in a tough away outing,

How do you see it ?
    Pretty much the same as you and Scoham.

Don't understand why some seem to refuse to see Waggy's strengths or Green weaknesses.  All players, especially at this level have them.

What's great is that we have the option of either or even both.
  • Options
    Green. Waggy as a great sub