Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Football League "without Charlton Athletic" Show

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Well they surpassed themselves this week, you can usually blink and miss the "coverage" of our game but that was a masterclass in a lack of respect for a team that is 5 points clear at the top. It's going to take some ignoring next week if we happen to beat the mighty unbeaten "except the other week in the cup oh and the play offs" Uddersfield. Just imagine Claridges smug face if that happens. 

Comments

• Options
    Except we're playing on the Monday, so there will definitely be no coverage!
  • Options
    Except we're playing on the Monday, so there will definitely be no coverage!
    its just not on, shit show
  • Options
    dont bother with it, you can see our goal(s) on SSN much before then.
  • Options
    44 mins for those who want to fast forward the Huddersfield fawning
  • Options
    Don't worry we will just go quietly about our campaign, that is one shitter of a 'show' anyway, let them, in the words of Afka, fawn over udders field we will just bob quietly along to the league title! Claridge that that plum mannish can go jump, know nothing mugs!
  • Options
    If we were to break a football league unbeaten record punters on here would expect the BBC to clear their schedules and run a series of introspectives with the Dimblebeys. 
  • Options
    I haven't watched it but like Mortimerican says Huddersfield's achievement is massive. Ignoring the fact that they've lost games in other competitions they are the first team to go 43 league games unbeaten in the Football League since it's inception 123
     years ago. The program is called the Football League Show after all, they are, kind of expected to cover it!

From what I read our game was horrible, and we have been top of the league for more than nine weeks, and we've been five points clear for two. It's hardly news is it?
  • Options
    It is a great achievement but they lost a game in the League competition IMO  -to Peterborough - otherwise they would be in the Championship.
  • Options
    But they are not unbeaten in the league they lost the playoff that was a league fixture to compare them to the great forest team or now they are even comparing them to that goonershite lot the invincibles

Is nothing short of ridiculous,
  • Options
    Think we'll beat them 3-0 next game btw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite happy for them to get all the attention right up to the time we win the title. Worse yesterday was Five Live. I swear they gave out updates to every othrr game except ours!
  • Options
    Just watched the "show", I think they have given up on us.
    5 points clear, most points in all 4 leagues, best away record in all 4 leagues, most goals scored, leagues leading scorer and playing some entertaining football week in week out.
    Even if udders beat us next week and regardless of what the other teams do Saturday we will still be top and with at least  a 2 point buffer.
    We didn't even get mentioned in the tables round up at the end.
  • Options
    As a result of the show I feckin love Huddersfield now and think Charlton Athletic are lucky to be where they are.
  • Options
    Don't worry lads we will be the main attraction on motd soon.... ! ;)
  • Options
    Think we'll beat them 3-0 next game btw
    I'm going for a 5-0 stuffing, I'm hoping the lads are really up for this one, 3-0 by half time.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I have no problem with the attention they got last night.  They broke a long standing record and that is worthy of a decent length report.  For me what has taken the shine off this achievement is the the FLS and other sources have been banging on about their unbeaten run for weeks, so for a neutral what should have been big news has become predictable and humdrum.  That said, I'm sure their fans are still happy about it to the point where they just can't get enough reports to watch/read.  Good luck to them; after all, here's where hanging on to that run is really going to get tough.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the attention they got last night.  They broke a long standing record and that is worthy of a decent length report.  For me what has taken the shine off this achievement is the the FLS and others sources have been banging on about their unbeaten run for weeks, so for a neutral what should have been big news has become predictable and humdrum.  That said, I'm sure their fans are still happy about it to the point where they just can't get enough reports to watch/read.  Good luck to them; after all, here's where hanging on to that run is really going to get tough.
    Maybe they'll beat us Monday week, but I suspect that the fixtures might just have been kind to them by us being their 44th game!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Body
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2011
    From the hopeless Emma, to Millwall loving Steve Claridge - the Football League continually disrespects the club and does not give fair coverage. After we win 4-0 or score 5 goals against Preston, I sometimes tune in to see how they avoid finding anything positive to say. They harp on about anything negative, any positive result is played down and is often attributed to the weaknesses in the opposition, (mistakes they made, chances not taken etc), frequent negative predictions about the future,  any positive statement from Steve Claridge, almost physically causes him pain and he ends up putting his head down and mumbling. That is if they mention the club at all or give more than the minimum amount of time of 30 seconds highlights.

Manish Bhasin appears to be pretty neutral compared and Leroy Resenior is more constructive in his general comments. It is Steve Claridge and the people who put the production content together who irritate.

• Options
    It is a great achievement but they lost a game in the League competition IMO  -to Peterborough - otherwise they would be in the Championship.
    But they are not unbeaten in the league they lost the playoff that was a league fixture to compare them to the great forest team or now they are even comparing them to that goonershite lot the invincibles

Is nothing short of ridiculous,
    It is a good point from Muttley and North London Addick - why doesn't
    the play off game against Peterborough not count ? It must be a league
    game as it promoted Peterborough into the championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not a league game as there are no points at stake. It is a knock out competition for the winner to gain promotion.

Interestingly the fact that Huddersfield finished third and didn't get promoted is the main factor in them achieving this as had they been promoted they would almost certainly have lost a game in the Championship by now, and without the playoffs they would have gone up in third place.

Let's not take this away from them though. The Playoffs are relatively new, and they do not form part of the 'normal' league season. I really can't see why so many have to keep knocking them. they have failed to be beaten in a league game with points at stake for 43 games. Why do you all have to try to take that away from them? If we were in the same position I would be telling everyone I know, and complete strangers in the street. It's a fantastic achievement!
  • Options

It's not a league game as there are no points at stake. It is a knock out competition for the winner to gain promotion.

Interestingly the fact that Huddersfield finished third and didn't get promoted is the main factor in them achieving this as had they been promoted they would almost certainly have lost a game in the Championship by now, and without the playoffs they would have gone up in third place.

Let's not take this away from them though. The Playoffs are relatively new, and they do not form part of the 'normal' league season. I really can't see why so many have to keep knocking them. they have failed to be beaten in a league game with points at stake for 43 games. Why do you all have to try to take that away from them? If we were in the same position I would be telling everyone I know, and complete strangers in the street. It's a fantastic achievement!
    I think Muttley mentions the run are a great achievement (even if they are effectively x2 unbeaten runs). No one would dispute that.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/huddersfield-town/records

Statto supports your view about unbeaten league games run.

Arsenal supporters may have something to say about the record though as would
    Nottingham Forest supporters. Even if you designate the league play off game against Peterborough as a league 'cup' game and allow the run, the
    loss means that the Huddersfield's record must come under Arsenal and
    Nottingham Forest achievements. You have to apply the footnote that they lost the play off final and that it is a record for league one.

It is an interesting point about the quirk of losing the play off final contributed to the unbeaten regular league fixture run.

• Options
    Can you imagine the reaction on here if we had broken that record and hadnt had that sort of coverage?

Our coverage on the show is no worse than 95% of the other league clubs.

Dont like it? Dont watch it.
  • Options
    Indeed vff. It's also a major factor in most unbeaten runs being in the top flight. I would assume this is true of most established leagues around the world. The whole idea of the league structure is that if you are too good for a division you are shunted up to a tougher one.

It's also interesting to note that they managed to lose 9 of their opening 21 games before losing none of the last 25. If they had either had their 9 defeats distributed more evenly or been as average in the second half of the season they wouldn't have been undefeated since December. Also if their first half of the season had been better more like the second half they could well have finished second and gone up.

In fact, the more I look at it their 9 defeats in 21 at the start of last season makes them look positively average compared to our 1 defeat in 18 this season. They also had 11 points after 21 games than we have after 18.
  • Options
    Not got a problem with the coverage. We are not getting much coverage and that is good. It takes the pressure off us. What we need to do is beat them next week and take advantage of flying under the radar.
  • Options
    Only excuse I can think of for the BBC last night is that if they big us up as well (don't think they mentioned at all who Udders next game is) they are effectively advertising the Sky game ? Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The play offs are ax league fixture , the winner of 3 more league games goes up, you play 2 of the remaining 4 league teams

They are not unbeaten in the league they lost

Just like we took chelseas unbeaten home record

But if you listen to Jose or chelski fans it never happend
  • Options

I have no problem with Huddersfield, a good club, with a proud history, decent fans, and now a good record.

The thing about the show is that 90% of the time from our games you just get the goals, stripped down to the thinnest of essential coverage. we don't even get the team bus decamp, and as for a managers interview...forget it.

I am not so paranoid regarding any non-coverage....I put the whole thing down to the old London Underground map, where South East London doesn't exist, and all the out of towner media types think Charlton is somewhere in Carolina USA! In fact they also think anywhere 'saaaf ov ver rivver' is like a heart of darkness hinterland, where if they find themselves stranded they have to escape back to the beauty of Camden and Kilburn asap!

We have only barely been a fashionable club, and only then when media types can pin shallow cliches to us, as in 'All Charlton fans were calling for Curbs head, now look at them'.

Our finest hours have always been when we drive a coach and horses through their pre-conceptions as in Anti Racism, or winning promotion at Shitehurst, or the first two manager thing, and of course the battle for, and return to, The Valley!

Let the media types fester in West London, or now (snigger) in Salford, as far as I'm concerned they can leave us alone to shape our own image with the skill and imagination we have shown in the past.

• Options
    I managed not to blink so saw our coverage!

How wonderful that Huddersfield were given 10 minutes or so. It will make it so much sweeter when Claridge has to say something about us when we beat Huddersfield next week.

Anyway the football league show also featured from the Championship Sam, Shelvey, Bailey, Hudson, Richardson, many of whom contributed positively to their teams performances, not forgetting Mc Carthy, Gray, Varney Racon and Wright who also play in the Championship.

10 players, just lacking a keeper!

Which, if any, would you swap for what we have now?

• Options
    I came on today to put a thread up about this.  Glad I am not the only 1 to notice!!

Dont get me wrong, the record that Huddersfield has acheived is a remarkable feat but we are 5 points clear ffs!!

All it was last night was Huddersfield, Huddersfield, Huddersfield, Charlton won, great result for Mk Dons, Huddersfield, Huddersfield, Huddersfield!!

The football league Show's coverage, or lack of, us as a team that is 5 points clear at the top of the league is truely laughable.