Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Football League "without Charlton Athletic" Show

Comments

• I thought it was a very good feature. No complaints whatsoever .
  • In all honesty what are they doing at our game when the game of the day was wednesday v hudders ,
    They prolly just wanted to stop our mingey whingey fans from crying for a bit .....................but that is impossible
  • Didn't take Clem to mention the 5 years ago they were in the premiership line. He also went so OTT with Huddersfield run on the podcast that Jordan Rhodes sounded embarrassed. No idea how he's involved in the game.

• Personally I find Clem quite agreeable.  He knows a lot more about most lower league clubs than the vast majority of journalists and he's enthusiastic.  
    I'm glad someone has said this.  I'd far rather have Clem, who seems to have a bit of spirit about him, than some dour ex-pro or ex-journo who's bored because they're used to seeing football at a higher level.
  • edited December 2011

To be fair, I've not really heard much of Kelner on the radio. I don't listen to Talksport, can't stand Fighting Talk and take my opinions of him from what he writes, rather than says, so I might not be best placed, I grant you.

I think he was spot on about the Football League Show, though. My objection isn't a lack of Charlton, but that, like huge amounts of BBC coverage these days, it thinks fans are thick - that they only 'really' enjoy football (and sport in general) if it's treated like a branch of light entertainment. It's populated with people trying to be "characters", and as such, the get nicknames - "Chappers", "Buncey", "Crofty" and "Clem" - all of them a bit Partridge-like for my taste, but each to their own.

Sport is entertaining in its own right - it doesn't need all the am-dram nonsense they add to it. You could have watched the Play Off final with the sound off in black and white, and it had more drama than a Sky Super Sunday offering featuring bells, whistles, graphics and a really bad, sterile game. If you're the featured game on the Football League Show, you get a fraction longer by way of highlights than everyone else, and a couple of minutes of Clemmitt doing gimmicky things. I don't want someone acting like David Brent, trying to be "wacky" - just a few extra highlights. But the big bosses at the BBC think that's what football fans want - they think Robbie Savage ballroom dancing is the future. They confuse football being entertaining and dramatic in its own right, with football being part of the light entertainment industry.

Clemmitt being a giggling pillock at pitchside is part of the same syndrome that gives us DJs as sports presenters, and I think it's a shame.

Each to their own, though! It's only an opinion. Top of the table at Christmas! What's to moan about, really?!

• I thought it was a very good feature. No complaints whatsoever .
    I agree with this. We got more time than we deserved after yesterday's game and the feature was good.
  • Yes, but they said we would be top of the tree at christmas, insinuating that we are fairies, not happy about this!
  • So much better in the days of Saint & Greavesie.

Not.
  • Yes, but they said we would be top of the tree at christmas, insinuating that we are fairies, not happy about this!
    I think the meant we are stars ;-)

• Not on over Christmas period at all, think it returns mid-January. Don't worry though, you'll still be able to get your football fix with Match of the Day!
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't like the football league show for the reason that i hate Claridge and his mindlessly boring comments. In a season i wonder how many times he has said 'In this division you need a goalscorer and they have/found one in.....'

On the website there are more highlights for each game which is better.

If the show does get axed i wonder if it will pave the way for another football league programme which may have more air time than what the BBC offer.

• The BBC are the worst Channel to have the show as they can't allow it to threaten their flagship MOTD. If this is the last season they have the rights it is a right result.
  • The BBC are the worst Channel to have the show as they can't allow it to threaten their flagship MOTD. If this is the last season they have the rights it is a right result.
    You are assuming that someone apart from a pay tv channel will pick it up, i.e. ITV and previously they have said they don't want it.
  • Personally, I'm happy that the BBC currently have the rights to broadcast the football league - I can't see any other broadcaster putting the goals up online for free, a couple of days after every single match.
  • edited March 2012
    I can't wait for tonight's programme. I hear they are doing a feature length special on Jordan Rhodes' record breaking feat of scoring in 600 consecutive league matches. They're interviewing everyone from the lollipop lady at his infants school to the bloke who swept up in the barbers last time he had a haircut.
  • Doesn't he play for that team that has never lost a game and has it's own referees ?
  • Heard a report on Radio 5 Live on the way back from the game. Anyone know who Huddersfield played??
  • they beat the league leaders, who are.............................???????
  • We will all know for sure if the programme is biased, as apart from Rhodes breaking a club record, the only other things of note during the game was an excellent save from Hamer and the sending off...........oh, as well as the tackle on Waggy in the first half, which at least should have been a yellow, which would have then led to their player getting sent off in the second half following his tackle on Russell.

If they don't mention that last bit then they are biased, pure & simple !
  • Sponsored links:

• It shows that Claridge knows sweet FA about football when he calls Wendys a big club, do your research they are MASSIVE.
  • Pitiful highlights. The programme must have some bar on criticising referees. Where was the bad tackle on Wagstaff midway first half ? If Kaye had been booked for that he would have been unlikely to clatter Russell second half, and he would have had to reign in his 'enforcer' role to legitimate tackles, Russell would then have not been put in a position to react.

Also, did you see the way that Kay, rolled around clutching his face, what a disgrace. Then a smug Simon Grayson interview afterwards.
    The restriction of league one highlights is terrible. If there were decent highlights available then we would not have to put up with the shallow, sound bites and 'analysis' in between.
  • Was in the pub watching this - last orders had been called so was getting so frustrated at waiting for the CAFC game. Expected SWFC to be on 1st as it was a featured game but why were SUFC on next. No sound was on but I'd like to think intro was "Meanwhile, at the top of the league..."
  • Was in the pub watching this - last orders had been called so was getting so frustrated at waiting for the CAFC game. Expected SWFC to be on 1st as it was a featured game but why were SUFC on next. No sound was on but I'd like to think intro was "Meanwhile, at the top of the league..."
    Because everyone apart from us think we've already clinched it. The interest is in the battle for the 2nd spot.
  • Just watched that leicester palace game. happy memories. muzzy izzets not messing about with them sideburns is he
  • I was quite annoyed that our disallowed goal wasn't shown as I wanted to see the handball. I've already accepted that any penalty shouts etc aren't going to be shown but not sure how they can justify not showing a disallowed goal on highlights.
    Because everyone apart from us think we've already clinched it. The interest is in the battle for the 2nd spot.
    This.
  • I'll be happy if we hardly feature on the programme until you see the players doing a lap of honour, and CP being sprayed with champagne. If we start getting top billing in L1 it'll be because we lost and were getting caught by both Sheffield clubs...
  • Great shot from "Chris Solly". Jeez how hard is it to get a player's name right when the number 25 is as clear as anything on his back?
  • Extended' highlights for the massive, not particularly extended. Lunchtime game and Yorkshire / Lancashire Derby. But really, any excuse really from the BBC League One team not to give Charlton their due. Not even second up. Great cross from Lee Cook for the second goal, and a good header from N'Guessian.

Would like to see the BWP penalty shout, disallowed goal and the Orient headed chance.

Sky Sports wants to strangle football in the lower leagues to make us all concentrate on premiership football and increase their advertising and subscription revenues.

What always really disappoints me, is the general restriction on Championship & lower league highlights by the Sky / Football League agreements. The BBC programme may be poor but they are generally dealing with time limits that means they can only show scanty material.