Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bury Post-Match Views

Comments

• Could be a very valuable point in the end.

Back four played well, midfield so-so and the front two didn't quite work - felt a bit sorry for Clarke as he took the brunt of the crowd's frustrations, but Kermogant wasn't much better.

Haynes' pace brought a whole new threat and it will be interesting to see if he gets a start on Saturday.

Credit to Bury - they came to play and deserved a point.
  • Did we really have 21 shots ? Didn't seem like that. Clarke had his chance and failed, green was poor. Felt a lot like stevenage away where powell messed with the team and it really, really didn't work. Time, in the words of alan pardew, to start picking our best team. This is the run in and we hot away with that tonight.
  • Disjointed performance where we couldn't keep possession long enough to stamp authority on the match. Wiggins and Solly are awesome. Poor performances tonight from too many players. Green, Hollands, Jackson and even Morrison had a wobble. Clarke gets himself into the right positions but his first touch and awareness are I'm very sorry to say 100% league one. Impressed with Haynes. BWP has to return on Saturday and we need to get our scoring back on track. Great strike from Stephens who needs match fitness now but must remain in the team. No real damage done tonight but not inspiring and I don't buy those stats. We were lucky to get that goal tonight.
  • That Leon Clarke looks a find.
  • We should have had this wrapped up early on when we were in full control at start - with Stephens spraying the ball around
    Clarke's ball control very poor reminds me of Akpo Sodje. looked much better with Haynes - Green needs to up his game and Jackson was quiet. Solly was immense and he an Wiggins offered most going forward
  • BWP and Haynes on Saturday?A bit of a different approach up front
  • 21 shots???....I must've missed half of them then!, awful game, I thought we were second best to most things, they were a pretty tidy side.

Clarke was awful, Haynes good when he came on, nice to have Dale back

MOM Wiggins, he was a class above everyone else out there
  • Both of us played terrible bar one bit of quality by Stephens. Did he used to play for them ?
  • Thought Clarke started well, lots of good movement. Then he changed his boots and he got progressively worse. Surprised that Haynes didn't start as seemed a more natural replacement for BWP.

I'm going to write to the football league show and complain that Bury didn't let us play : = ) Credit to them, defended well, took a good goal and nearly held on. OK the keeper wasted time but no more than Hamer did when we were one up and the Shakers never reverted to kicking our players.

less said about our performance the better. Just never clicked but what a fantastic goal. Taylor's miss was a classic too.

Had a bet on Stephens for last goal so happy enough even if Bookies couldn't tell us the odds!

MK and Wendies couldn't take advantage so good night for Hudds and Sheff U.
  • Both of us played terrible bar one bit of quality by Stephens. Did he used to play for them ?
    no it was rochdale we got him from who we play saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• A very bright start and our full backs were utterly superb the entire game. Felt Hamer could have done so much better to prevent Bury's goal. Something about him I just don't like, but he's who we have between the sticks right now so I'll support him. Thought we just played in first gear and even towards the end we didn't seem to play with the urgency you want to see. Felt Haynes changed things and he caused panic in the Bury defence. Stephens along with Wiggins was a class above most tonight. They will fit into the Championship very easily. Hopefully with us!!

Fatty Belford was a real time-waster but took the abuse well. Gave as good as he got. And what was their no.7 doing before getting subbed? Felt D'Urso was as crap as ever.

Still we got a point, still unbeaten at home and ten points clear of third. Mustn't grumble!!
  • Anybody who thinks that have was 2 points dropped didn't see the same game as me.
    Despite the extremely questionable stats we never really looked liked scoring after a good spell
    In the first 15 minutes.
    Green and Clarke was very poor and Hamer just opened his arms and let the goal go though . Not convinced with him at all.
    Without a doubt a point gained .
  • Clarke was a bit hit and miss, Put himself about but first touch let him down at times. Wiggins MoM very good tonight, fecking cold and I must mention that it was fecking c
  • Green is a funny one.
  • Swear we got Stephens from Oldham?
  • Swear we got Stephens from Oldham?

We did
  • edited January 2012
    ten points out of the last four games is excellent; just a shame considering that twelve was well within our grasp (on paper). Oh well. Onwards and upwards.
  • stephens played for bury in his youth. nobody stood out today but quality got us a point. onwards
  • stephens played for bury in his youth. nobody stood out today but quality got us a point. onwards
    Wrong. Wiggins
  • CP hasnt got much wrong this season but Clarke for BWP is a black mark. Clarke was poor. Haynes more of a threat in his cameo. Not buying the stats. I didnt see 21 shots. Keeper made perhaps 2 saves.

Looked really pedestrian throughout. Tonight showed how important BWP is. Missed his intelligent running off the ball all night.

My main concern is the fact that Hollands looks half the player he is alongside Stephens. They are our best two CMs and I hope they can learn to bring the best out of each other.

Cant comment on Bury goal as I'd pissed off to the bar.

Didnt loose so not a disaster, but we need to find that spark again as the freeflowing football has been missing for a few weeks now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stephens did play for Bury, Oldham signed him from them.
  • Still 10 points clear with 18 matches to go
  • In the Player Marks, somebody gave Clarke only 3 out of 10.

That suggests that Clarke wasn't only utterly hopeless, but that his movement was non-existant and he wasn't interested.

Is that the truth - or incredibly harsh marking?
  • Have to say Dale got Powell and the others out of a big hole tonight.

If we aren't going to play BWP then it has to be Haynes, far far too one dimensional with Clarke and Kermorgant, we made Bury look solid for an hour which they were anything but when we finally decided to have a go.

Well done Dale, must have been a strange but momentous and joyful few months for him and well done to Wiggins, PL class no doubt.

Everyone is still learning, including the other nine players who had a bit of a day off today, along with our manager.
  • Let's remember that bwp has still got a knee condition and the occasional rest should be beneficial. We have to give clarke the odd game to prove himself,especially after scoring a few in the kent cup, it made sense to me.
  • In the Player Marks, somebody gave Clarke only 3 out of 10.

That suggests that Clarke wasn't only utterly hopeless, but that his movement was non-existant and he wasn't interested.

Is that the truth - or incredibly harsh marking?
    Looked busy, if he put the early(ish) 1 on 1 away it might well have been a very different night. He wasn't disinterested, just not altogether that good the way we played him.

The thing is we aren't playing to his strengths, he is not a Hayes or a Kermorgant, he is a bit of a poacher, not a ball into feet man.

Think it was a poor decision to start the two big fellas up top tonight and Haynes proved that in his very industrious 20 mins.

• Missed BWP and I'm not his number one fan. Hollands way off the pace and SCP way too slow to make changes. Why is 70 mins so important? Minor blip but we need a good win Saturday and back on track.
  • Thanks, ISaw ........ that puts things in perspective for Clarke.
  • Poor team performance with solly, wiggins, and Stephens goal the only exceptions
    Poor vocal support tonight especially 2nd half when it was needed,
  • You can't win them all and when you don't win just got to make sure you don't lose, below par performance without doubt but keeper made two quality saves from Clarke and Yann in the first half and again from Green in the second. Taylor missed a sitter second half, it was just one of those games. COYR