Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bury Post-Match Views

Comments

• I noticed the fans getting on Clarke's back today after he missed a couple of touches and passes. Funny how when BWP sulks around with his shoulders down moaning nobody says anything, because lets not forget.. he has a song! BWP rant over.
    Stupidest post I've read in ages
  • I don't think it was as bad as it seemed. A couple of the Mr Reliables in the team had off nights - first poorish games I have seen Morrison, Hollands and Jackson have. If we had been leading 1-0 at half time, our seccond half display would have looked fine, but Bury nicked a goal from nowhere and worked hard to keep their lead. I couldnt stop thinking that BWP would have scored one or two with all the half chances that were knocking about. However, it was not to be - there will be other games like this where the first goal is all important
  • Cheers, NS Steve.
  • Flat, team, crowd, performance all very flat
  • How rude young barnsey , I wish I could've gone believe me being daddy day and night care after a 14 hr day I would've loved the footie
  • Flat, team, crowd, performance all very flat
    how was the beer?
    :o)

• Clarke certainly did not make the best of impressions but it is hardly his fault so many others fell below there usual standard. I think most of us expected a reaction to the Sheffield games at Exeter but the team managed to put in another shift on that occasion. They fell short tonight - but it is 4 wins out of 5 and 1 goal conceded in the League in January. Everybody else has dropped points with Sheff W apparently fortunate to get a point at MKD tonight and Huddersfield lucky to get a draw at Tranmere at the Weekend.
  • edited January 2012
    their smurf of a keeper was giving the '1-0' sign to us in the covered end on about 90 mins... then in about the third minute of extra time stephens SMASHED in the equalizer... happy days and warmed me right up celebrating the goal :-)

proper winter tuesday night game that!

HUP THE HADDOCK AND CHIPS!!!
  • Well, pretty much as most have said, poor performance (told you we're in our blip). Thought our entire midfield were off the pace tonight and surprised Stephens stayed on for the entire match (so bloody glad he did though).

Kermogant was his usual handful but with less effect tonight, probably due to not having BWP alongside him, Centre-backs were okay and both full-backs were immense.

Unlike some here, I won't be too harsh on Clarke as it's his first start for us, but yet to convince me.

The player I was most disappointed with was Green. His touch and movement were awful tonight. Maybe time to give Waggy another chance?

Thought their keeper was amusing and did no more than hamer does when we're winning so no real complaints from me, More annoyed with that pr*ck D'Urso. He never took control of the situation.

Most comical moment was their No7 (Worrall), Collapsed in a heap, limped off, came back on, took 2 step onto the pitch and sat down again. Again, this whole time wasting malarky wasn't dealt with by the ref, who should have just played on instead of allowing it to eat into the clock.

13,000...........Very poor attendance all things considering (although the game probably justified their absence in their eyes).

On the positives, We extend our lead to 10 points and I found a tenner on my way there. Win win. :-)
  • edited January 2012
    Poor performance, saved a point through great strike for the goal from Stephens (and came close not long before). Had a lot of the ball but needed to play with more energy at times.

Got the feeling as Clarke was signed first Powell gave him a start before Haynes. Clarke wasn't a 3/10 but he didn't have a good game. Not sure why the subs came on so late, Haynes is surely BWP's real competition and better suited to play next to Kermorgant.

Still not sure about Green Stephens Hollands Jackson being our best midfield 4. Maybe they're the best individuals and maybe just need games, but something doesn't feel right to me. Lacks pace for one which shows even more starting the two big strikers.

Green frustrating yet again for me, not been impressed much by him most of the season. You can see bits of quality from him but makes the wrong decisions and doesn't seem to read things well. That's not to say Wagstaff is the answer but Green's got a lot to do before he's the classy Championship player he's been hyped up as.

Stephens also made mistakes at times but first start back and won us a point.

Wiggins our main threat all night, seems to find space to run with the ball when it doesn't look to be there.

Got to improve on that but I'm sure we will. Powell will expect better and has plenty of options if players aren't performing or need a rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sat v Rochdael drop Green and put Waggy in. Drop Clarke and put Haynes in.
  • Thought we played well first twenty minutes with there keeper making a couple of good saves. After that thought we were dire until about 15 mins from the end. Can't believe the stats all be it Green skied a fair few. Thought Haynes looked lively when he came on. Didn't think Clarke was as bad as everyone is making out, he made the keeper make 2 or 3 good saves, On another day he gets two and everyone sings his praises. I do admit he is no BWP or even Haynes by the look of it but think he is more mobile than Hayes. Green poor, Hollands non existent, Stephens not match sharp but what a goal!!! Wiggins class as usual probably MOM. Overall frustrating evening but hey Ho can't win them all and 10 points clear!
    Agree!
    Think BWP will be back in personally............
  • Interesting match. Hamer made an uncharacteristic shot-stopping error but other than that Bury never really looked like scoring despite some clever play. We passed well enough at times but we didn't really look like carving them open enough but we deserved the equaliser. I did that thing I always do where as soon as Solly steps up to hit a ball in a dangerous area I'm already celebrating in another world before he hits it, so after his chance went wide I would have felt very hard done by if we hadn't got a goal. I've said most of my thoughts on our lot in the player marks thread, but Clarke was particularly awful. There was a point where Wiggy broke forward (again) and Clarke was nearest him. Everyone expected Clarke to go to him, but he just didn't, and in the end Kermorgant had to sprint over from near Green just to give Wiggy sometime to pass to. That sums up Clarke's contribution to the match today. Haynes however won it in the air, was lively, and gave them hell with his pace. Clearly should have started. Not sure what Clarke has to offer us but he hasn't played enough for me to do anything other than bow to Powell's judgment. He does scare me with how late he makes his changes though. He clearly sees it too as he makes the change, but always far too late. Don't understand it.

But anyway, I think the best part about today was Bury. Miserably cold January cold Tuesday night, up against the league leaders and they played excellent passing football. Some of their players milked 'knocks' towards the end but that's normal. They came at us and they certainly weren't the cloggers we were told they were. Full respect to them for that performance. They did look a bit weak in front of goal and they need a decent goalscorer but they have every right to be in this league and I hope they stay in it. I also loved their keeper. Fat little fella in short sleeves, took all the 'Fatty what's the score?' pelters, clapped the North Stand immediately after the whistle went and then as he came to the tunnel and the song was ringing out clapped the stand again and rightly got a round of applause. I was expecting some spoiling tactics from Bury but all in all they gave us a brilliant game today on a night that almost demanded to be drab and uninspiring. Cheers!
  • Had enough of the play and plenty enough chances to have won that game by half time,just one of those days. Absolute quality strike from Stephens,a real peach of a shot.
    Just before the 90 was up,an old boy walked down the stairs of the NWQ where i was sat,shouting and swearing at the players and saying"stick them all on the transfer list,sell the f#####g lot of them"...........You do have to wonder at some of our 'fans' dont you? Still,the silly old git missed Dales goal!
  • It was a bit of hit and hope tonight, Bury were okay and scored from their only shot on target it felt like, from my angle it looked like it went through Hamers hands but I was sitting in the east.

Just had a feeling it would be one of them bad midweek freezing cold nights at The Valley, crap atmosphere little away support and the team tonight were sloppy despite dominating the game. Was disappointed with under 14k tbh as we are top of the league.

Wiggy and Solly were good tonight, apart from that Kerms, JJ, Hollands had off nights, Stephens didn't do much till he scored a blinder. On Clarke I thought he started okay did a few good things then a few simple mistakes and thought it wouldn't be long before people got on his back but second half he was pretty poor he's had a few chances now but not really impressed. Haynes little cameo he looked okay he has got pace which will make an impact from the bench but he reminds me of Ecclestone and all the other pacy wingers we've had in the past tbh not sure if him starting up front would be that useful as there's most likely a reason no-one has played him there in the past. Hayes will be thinking what has to do to get a look in right now.

Not too disheartened though 10 clear, we won't win any game and tonight will hopefully wake everyone up from any complacency which might be creeping in.
  • edited February 2012
    I consult for stats company Opta Sports Ltd and provide details on Charlton games, where required (supplements my main job). This is my stats report:-

63.9% Possession 36.1%
    19 Goal Attempts 4
    7 On Target 2
    12 Off Target 2
    0 Hit Woodwork 0
    7 Corners 3
    1 Offsides 2
    11 Fouls 8

The Bury goal keeper made 4 saves (Clarke shot, Kermogant header, Morrison shot, Green shot , with 2 blocked on target shots (poetic licence given!) and one goal.
  • I will be there sat mate no doubt
  • I consult for stats company Opta Sports Ltd and provide details on Charlton games, where required (supplements my main job). This is my stats report:-

63.9% Possession 36.1%
    19 Goal Attempts 4
    7 On Target 2
    12 Off Target 2
    0 Hit Woodwork 0
    7 Corners 3
    1 Offsides 2
    11 Fouls 8

The Bury goal keeper made 4 saves (Clarke shot, Kermogant header, Morrison shot, Green shot , with 2 blocked on target shots (poetic licence given!) and one goal.
    I thought Solly's shot hit the post ?

And how do you work out the possession to such accuracy ?

• Sponsored links:

• Sollys shot hit their players arm. Thought it should've been a pen..............
  • Sollys shot hit their players arm. Thought it should've been a pen..............
    me too tango.
  • Bad night all round..............first get stuck in traffic on the A2, then hit roadworks around Charlton cemetry and didn't park up until 7.30pm & thus just got in by kick-off (usual programme seller also not there & had to traipse the whole lenght of the East Stand to get one)............finally got to my seat as the teams were coming out to find no BWP & Clarke in his place !!!!!! Bad move by SCP - if you are going to "rest" your top-scorer who is short & quick then don't repalce him with a big lump who is tall & slow !! I'm not going to diss Clarke at this stage & will give a few more games to prove himself - but don't think he is good enough & certainly not Championship levcel.

Thought it was going to be one of those games - we had countless opportunities but nothing really fell right. Clarke had a couple of shots in the first half but faded as the game went on...... not sure where the criticism of Green comes from - he put in 2 or 3 great crosses 2nd half & had a great shot which the kepper punched away, which is probably more than Waggy could muster if he took his place. Kermy again worked & worked and has a great touch for a big lad. Wiggins was my MOTM - oozed class & his run in the 1st half when he went round half their team was worth the entrance fee itself..............no, sorry - that has to go to Stephen's goal !!!!

In the end its 1 more point into the pot - 10 clear now.

• Want to see Green hug the touch line and stretch teams through using full width of pitch. Guess he always tucks in for protection of defence, but with a bit more time and space he would murder teams. Stephens has the ability to feed him. Midfield had little options tonight - harsh to be too critical of them. Hamer will be disappointed with their goal. Great feeling of relief when Dale belted that goal in!
  • I could be wrong, but thought Solly's shot was blocked and on target (hit Bury's players arm?). Two stopwatches, possession time divided into total game time (watches stopped out of play / breaks in play). Not 100% accurate due to human error, but not too bad.
  • Very happy with the point. After a decent, if low key, spell in the first 15 or 20 minutes when their goalie pulled off a couple of saves, Bury grew into the game and generally passed it better than us in midfield, albeit with little end product. The first goal was, as ever, always going to be important and too many of our players had an off day. Apart from Wigggins, none of our lot were capable of dribbling past their players and taking them out of the game.

Plus points were taking something out of the game, getting 90 minutes into Stephens, his stupendous strike ( reminiscent of Bobby Charlton ), maintaining the unbeaten home record and still ending up 10 points clear after such a poor performance. Hayes looked lively when he came on but I'd expect BWP to be back on Saturday.

Fair play to Bury, who were very neat and tidy throughout - you can see why they have won 6 away from home. Ditto their fans. I was talking to one of them afterwards who is staying in a Premier Inn and getting back up at the crack of dawn to head back up north tomorrow morning. We were sharing our adulation of Dean Keily and he was reminding me of Deano's last minute penalty save at Watford, which clinched Bury's second successive promotion.

On a different note, I hope the weather doesn't get too parky later this week - Thursday is predicted to be several degrees below. They were covering the pitch tonight, so hopefully there will be no risk to the game against the Dale on Saturday.

• Posting without reading.

Started well and it was a shame we didn't convert one of the chances created in the first 20-25 minutes that we more or less dominated other than one shot by John-Lewis (I think) that went narrowly wide. The midfield, especially Stephens, then went missing and to a long term Charlton watcher it was obvious a Bury goal was "coming" and sure enough it did.

Second half we huffed and puffed but produced little on target although Solly's shot looked as though it was handled by a defender and was going in. Stephens came back from his AWOL period to equalise with a candidate for goal of the season although Waggy's volley (originally given to him) was marginally better I think.

In summary a bad day at the office as too many players (main culprits Clarke most of the time, Stephens and Green half of the time) were not really "at it."

We would have lost tonight's match in all the other post Curbs seasons so a point keeps us at +8 re 2 points a game and we move forward.

I think any complacency will have been removed tonight so perhaps not a bad thing.
  • should have played haynes and not clarke, error by CP there but a point isnt too bad. We've not looked like a top of the table team going forward this last month
  • Mate.. When I saw on the updates that it was 1-1 I was screaming ... Bloody marvelous... and to get a result when we were playing with no real cutting edge is great...

The team is emulating Powells style.. TIGHT AT THE BACK... and for that we are struggling up front ... the results of late have relied on that bit of quality that our team possesses.. IE Jackson (x2) and Dale tonight ,as well as Yann laying of the ball and harrowing the keeper for the Exeter goal..

The work rate is there, and we womnt play well every game ..

But we traditionally have bounced back with a result after a disappointing performance..

this break could be the catalyst for BWP to start firing again and Im sure Yann is itching to get on the score sheet again...

So onwards and upwards...

Also our standards are very high at the moment, we tend to win all the time, so not a disaster by any means ....

the draw feels like a win and the boys wont want to leave it that late ever again I would imagine..
  • Thought Kerm was having an off night until Haynes came on and started to run onto his knock ons. Clarke must become 5th choice asap. Kerm, BWP, Haynes, Hayes, Clarke is my order