Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bury Post-Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Interesting comments in the press conference from their manager. Clearly doesn't see much difference between us and the chasing pack and implied their were a bit unlucky. Although we didn't play well we were well worth a draw.
  • Options
    You couldn't argue with him too much on yesterday's performance- but it was only one game.
  • Options
    Stephens and Hollands could turn into our Gerrard/Lampard conundrum. Hollands has to play a holding role with Stephens, but when Stephens had to drop back almost in line with the CBs to get the ball, we ended up far too deep in midfield IMO.
  • Options
    Let me enlighten you - we need height for set pieces - as Solly and Wiggins are key players- it would men leaving out Morrison or Taylor- thus exposing us more in the air as we don't have that many tall players in other positions.
    Sorry, Muttley - still puzzled.

Surely if we play 3 at the back, then we play 3 centrebacks?
    Then Solly and Wiggins become the wingbacks either side.

Standard 3-5-2 formation, of course ...... as practised at times by both Sheff Weds and Exeter in our recent games.
  • Options
    I do think there are two problems which are resulting in the lack of goals from our strikers, our midfield lacks pace and having Kermy in the side means that it is to easy to hit the ball long to him, his clever flicks are no good if midfielders cannot get to them or his strike partner does not read it properly. I know this will go against the grain but maybe Yann through no fault of his own, is the problem. I would like to see BWP and Haynes tried against Rochdale pace and guile. Maybe the defence and midfield may play more to feet then and therefore create more obvious goal-scoring chances for BWP
  • Options

frustrating 2nd half livened up by Haynes' introduction whose pace made a big difference.

thought it was going to be one of those nights until Stephen's thunderbolt.

wiggins was brilliant 2nd half as was solly.

i do worry that we're relying on Yann's flick ons a bit too much, primarily because no-one seems to read them, hence possession lost. we do play decent stuff but I think we need a bit more imagination going forward.

we missed BWP-goals or not.
    This. He was not in the first half, gave away and lost the ball a fair few times, and if I'm not mistaken he gave the ball away for their goal with an over elaborate cross field ball...but don't get me wrong was different class in the 2nd half, and has been for most of the season, lucky to have him
  • Options
    I do think there are two problems which are resulting in the lack of goals from our strikers, our midfield lacks pace and having Kermy in the side means that it is to easy to hit the ball long to him, his clever flicks are no good if midfielders cannot get to them or his strike partner does not read it properly. I know this will go against the grain but maybe Yann through no fault of his own, is the problem. I would like to see BWP and Haynes tried against Rochdale pace and guile. Maybe the defence and midfield may play more to feet then and therefore create more obvious goal-scoring chances for BWP
    We certainly look better when we play to feet
  • Options
    sometimes, snatching a draw like we did can act as an inspiration.

if we'd have lost that 0-1, crowd go home unhappy, lost our unbeaten home record, players and management pissed off.

however, you could see/hear by the reaction of the bench/crowd how much that goal meant and rather than feeling despondent, that goal should serve as an incentive to kick on.

you get games like that..it happens..it's gone.

CP will have seen enough to know where tweaks need to be made or players rested.

and Bury were no mugs..thought Sodje was outstanding and one turn of pace against Haynes to get a foot in surprised me.
  • Options
    sometimes, snatching a draw like we did can act as an inspiration.

if we'd have lost that 0-1, crowd go home unhappy, lost our unbeaten home record, players and management pissed off.

however, you could see/hear by the reaction of the bench/crowd how much that goal meant and rather than feeling despondent, that goal should serve as an incentive to kick on.

you get games like that..it happens..it's gone.

CP will have seen enough to know where tweaks need to be made or players rested.

and Bury were no mugs..thought Sodje was outstanding and one turn of pace against Haynes to get a foot in surprised me.</</b>blockquote>

Agree - he was a bit of a lump as well! Makes his brother Sam look like Solly
  • Options
    We certainly look better when we play to feet
    What Harry & Len say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely we play 3 centre backs- why - the whole point of playing 3 at the back against teams with little ambition is to counter the fact that they deploy extra resource in the defensive areas. So if you have full backs such as Solly and Wiggins who give you attacking options, you have to keep them in. But then you can be exposed at set pieces if you do that so you do need 2 centre backs too - so I was basically explaining why playing 3 at the back was a no goer. Seems fairly simple to me.

• Options
    According to Wiki, that was Efe Sodje's 500th league appearance, not bad pace for a 39 year old

It is interesting to note how well we played, and how we scored more goals when Hughes was in midfield, certainly Hollands was getting forward more then
  • Options
    We never play well in the training ground atmosphere and there was no real focus last night. Clarke needs more confidence to do well here as he had a poor game but I want him to do well. The lack of an effective striker is beginning to show when most recent goals are all coming from midfield. Haynes looked the business however and he should start on Saturday or bwp but not clarke, not yet anyway. It was in the final third that we proved ineffective; there were too many shots missing the target and too much losing the ball. I think if haynes or bwp start on saturday it will all come good
  • Options
    What Harry and Len and East Stand Mike say.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I posted my first ever match report up on my blog earlier (of this game). Constructive criticism welcomed, but I'm 15 so don't be too harsh please :)

"Charlton Athletic 1 Bury 1

On a freezing cold night in South London, a late Dale Stephens screamer rescued Charlton’s unbeaten home record against a resilient Bury side.

The former Bury man came to haunt his old club on his return from injury after Lenell John-Lewis had opened the scoring just before the interval. That goal was the first the Addicks had conceded in the league since the turn of the year, and came somewhat against the run of play, much to the frustration of the 13,000 shivering Charlton fans. On-loan forward Ryan Doble found John-Lewis with a well-weighted pass, before the striker duly blasted home to give the Shakers a first-half lead.

In the second half, clear-cut chances were few and far between. For all Charlton’s build-up play and balls into the box, they lacked the cutting edge in front of goal that rested striker Bradley Wright-Phillips has provided for much of the season. The prolific marksman had been replaced by recent signing Leon Clarke, who failed to connect with partner Yann Kermorgant, and in truth Chris Powell’s young side looked far more convincing when he was replaced on 73 minutes by the lively Danny Haynes.

But it was ex-Bury youngster Stephens who rescued the hosts in added time, as he sent Shaker’s keeper Cameron Belford’s clearance high into the top corner with a stunning drive. The forceful attempt evaded numerous players in the box before nestling in the roof of the net. His manager, Chris Powell, hailed the strike as his team’s “goal of the season”, but Stephens declared himself disappointed with the result, despite his blockbuster. “You have to beat the lesser teams, as people call them, but we were unfortunate not to get the win”, he stressed.

Third-placed Sheffield Wednesday were held at MK Dons, meaning the Addicks extended their impressive lead at the top to 10 points. While the reds look set for automatic promotion, Bury could find themselves with an unlikely chance to clinch a play-off spot, as the 10th placed Shakers find themselves just seven points adrift of Stevenage, who currently hold sixth spot. With the League One run-in getting under way, the fight for promotion to the Championship is hotting up.

WG."
  • Options
    Good debut Will. Concise and accurate.
  • Options
    I noticed the fans getting on Clarke's back today after he missed a couple of touches and passes. Funny how when BWP sulks around with his shoulders down moaning nobody says anything, because lets not forget.. he has a song! BWP rant over.
    tool
  • Options
    Not saying Green wasnt poor last night but he could easily have had an assist or two last night. Noticed at one point in the 2nd half he whipped in a great ball from the right yet no1 had bothered to charge into the box (funny how last week this won us a game). Powelly was proper praising Green for the ball as well.

At the end of the day, if one of our strikers had bothered to charge through, we would have 2 more points, Green would have had an assist, and everyone on the ratings thread would be giving him an extra 2 marks or so.

Think we are really missing BWP's goals alot at the moment. Over the last month, a result like this has looked liked coming.
    With Stephens back hopefully BWP will get more chances, because there is little link up play with Yann Kermit.

I get the feeling that Haynes could work quite well with either of them up top though.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2012
    This isn't a diss on Clarke but I never want to see him partnered with Kerms again.
    It doesn't work.
    Hamer kicks up to Yan, Yan wins it and flicks it on, Clarke is nowhere near the flick on.
    Kerms/Clarke/Hayes with Haynes/BWP. That's the recipe.
    This. (And Ken from Bexley mentions it)

If Chris Powell learns (shows) that Clarke is not a replacement for BWP and it is clear that Haynes is clearly the better option then it will turn out to be a positive result. Its good for BWP to be rested, and he may not be always available, so it is good to try different combinations, when we have the opportunity.

(In the old days there would be proper reserve matches to work these things out).

Haynes on from the beginning (If BWP is not playing) paired with KMG, Hayes or Clarke is a good as East Stand and Ken from Bexely point out, seems to be the main lesson of the evening. Haynes ahead on the subs bench, when BWP is playing.

Any opinions whether Haynes and BWP would play well together ?

• Options
    not long enough put some bloody effort in lad ffs

8=)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Will

Well-written and accurate report -- I like your style.
  • Options
    Nice one @Will
  • Options
    I think the defensive model has stuckk a bit because it has been working - and no doubt it will continue to work - but it should be abandoned for certain ngames.
    agreed in part. Powell is certainly a conservative when it comes to tactics and lineups. Our success relies more on a superb team ethic and workrate than any particular tactical innovations or special individual skill. As the season wears on and players get tired and little niggling injuries become an issue, it might well be the time to settle on an 'all-in' method of playing. That is to play the same way both home and away. This might mean a continuing shortage of goals but would ensure consistency and good results. I am happy to be bored silly by our team for the next four months so long as promotion is forthcoming. For entertainment I can watch the Premier League on sky
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Without reading the rest of the thread.

I feel its more of a point gained than two point's lost. We dominated the first 20 mins and then took our foot off the gas and let them back into it. The game then got scrappy and they nicked a goal. We had the possession in the 2nd half but didn't do enough with it. A draw was probably a fair result and a cracking goal earned it for us.

What a fecking goal by Stephens.

Clarke was awful.

Hamer looked like he could've done better with the goal but I'll have to see it again.

Green wasn't on his game.

Haynes made a real impact.

Wiggins and Solly were both excellent.

Other than that the rest of the team was average.
  • Options

BWP and Ecclestone all over again - not very well.
  • Options

Why on earth would you want to drop Kermorgant anyway?

• Options

Might work, 2 forward players who are good at playing the ball on the floor and quick enough to get on the end of a one-two. At the moment BWP isnt benefiting from Kermits continuous flick on style
  • Options
    Nice one@Will.

We have some good young writing talent on Charlton Life with you, AlexAnder and Stubley Addick.
  • Options
    Highlights now up on CAFCPlayer
  • Options
    I think a few people have gone off on some major tangents here. No major surgery needed, just need to add some pace going forward. Talk of altering the defense - utter madness. Snap out of it.