Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bury Post-Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Very disjointed performance. The two full backs were the best players for us and I was surprised at how John-Lewis ran our centre backs. The change when Haynes came on was noticeable. He gave us pace and attacked their defence, putting them on the back foot and was involved for the goal. Jacko was very quiet after half time although in the first half he set up Clarke for what should have been a goal.
    We got out of gaol tonight but that's what Champions do. Now lets hope the team roll over the Rochdale cowboys on Saturday.
    ps the goal came so late that the league one table on this link shows that we lost 1-0. These people who leave early.......
    http://www.football.co.uk/league_tables/league_one/index.shtml

• Options
    I was disappointed BWP was rested I felt this was a ideal opportunity for him to find his scoring touch again. I also felt the teams confidence without him in the team wasn't as good. I said to the lads after 10 mins when somehow Hollands and Taylor managed to get in each others way from 4 yards out with a free header on offering it wasn't going to be our night for a big lad Taylor doesn't attack the ball in the air enough and his second half effort echoed that, it was crying out to be met with power not dollied over the bar. I didn't feel we started badly but after Clarke's miss the confidence ebbed away. Bury's goal was poor I would give my son a bollocking if he had let that in and he's 10 and a goalkeeper.Everything you tell a keeper to do and he didn't do any of them get your body behind the bloody ball son.

Finally shite crowd, said to fatrob before the game that NLA'S ONE AIM should be to get his lazy fat arse down the valley occasionally.
  • Options
    Happy with a point In the end, superstitious boy and never like ya coming out first in the second half, one of those nights you have a few times a season

Clarke started well but we have a few morons that got on his bak and he went backwards

Green was his usual self bye bye in the summer, Beckham wannabe without the workrate

Anyone who moans about BWP needs to have a word with themselves

Like to see the goal again sort of goal that many keepers would have done better with and he flapped again tonight but then again I don't rate him and never will

All in all a decent point and we actually played some nice stuff in parts so no wrist slitting but let's get BWP back
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Oggy, I gave Clarke a 4 and think that was right.

If it's your full debut you have to show the crowd your ready to die for the cause.

Bloody hell, at least put a shift in.

I think what we saw is what a lot if fans at other clubs have seen before from him.

Has an awful first touch....gawd, really awful.

Can now see why Paolo wanted to slap him!

• Options
    Home record protected but other than that not much to shout about. Wiggins was different class.
  • Options
    People questioned why Clarke had been at so many clubs and came to the conclusion that he was a disruption wherever he went. I think what we have seen so far is that that's way from the mark it's just that hes no good. Its not that he didn't put in the effort tonigh ( he did ) its just that he's pony.
    You have to feel sorry for Hayes because he never looked as bad Clake does.
  • Options
    Could not understand why he didn't start Haynes and when he came on he made me question it more, Clarke and Green were poor, and Hollands was a no show, Rhoys Wiggins just oozed class, they deserved nothing from that game, but that's what happens when we don't put our shots away or on target, point gained, still got the home record now on to Rochdale
  • Options
    There keeper was 4 ft 6 so why was no one standing on him from corners.? Looked shaky throughout.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    A few of our players touches tonight were terrible. Even Wiggy was guilty of a heavy touch. Felt Green was a bit lazy at times and didn't take on their left back enough. Yann lacked service but had one good header saved and Clarke should have done better with the 1 on 1. What I found frustrating was our momentum kept breaking down quite a lot when we were surging forward and too many balls would invariably be passed behind and the play would slow down allowing Bury to get players behind the ball. Solly and Wiggins were immense though and how Sollys shot wasn't given for a corner I will never know. Stunning goal from Stephens at the death and some shocking timewasting from their players falling down like dominoes in the last 10 mins. Loved it when Hamer ran up to their number 7 and pushed him off the pitch! Overall we deserved a point.
  • Options
    And about making substitutes... think they need to come earlier, I know Powell is learning but in my opinion this keeps happening, if we had Haynes on for a good half an hour and perhaps Hayes getting a look I think we could have got another couple of points tonight.

Don't be afraid to push the button and mix things up a bit when it patently isn't working.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a great performance so glad to get a point in the end. Thought Haynes made a difference so must have a chance of starting on Saturday particularly if BWP isn't fit. Solly & Wiggins class as always.
  • Options
    And about making substitutes... think they need to come earlier, I know Powell is learning but in my opinion this keeps happening, if we had Haynes on for a good half an hour and perhaps Hayes getting a look I think we could have got another couple of points tonight.

Don't be afraid to push the button and mix things up a bit when it patently isn't working.
    It was crying out for Haynes at HT.
  • Options
    More than anything, Clarke tonight showed us where we would be without BWP. He might not have scored since November but he runs the channels, pulls defenders away, takes a lot of the focus off Yann and the players coming forward from the midfield. Clarke doesn't do any of those things so I've no idea why we played him as if he was going to.
  • Options
    We may have had 21 shots but sadly most of them would only have mattered in rugby.

Full backs excellent. Toss up between them for MotM. Clarke's first touch was simply dreadful and we looked a million times better when he was eventually subbed for Haynes. Green was not at the races today.
  • Options
    Very poor performance... Highlights:
    Haynes looked very lively, Chris Solly is fucking quality, Kermit wins everything once again, Wiggy is another class... Messi-esque runs, walked past players at will.

Missed Pritchard's energy in midfield big time and clarke was useless. Green very poor and Hollands quiet all game
    The only thing I can add to this is do not take anything from those stats, do not represent the true game at all.

I'd also like to add that the attendance tonight was pathetic. What happened to the other 4000 fans that would've been there on a Saturday? If you had work commitments or any other justifiable reason, fair enough, but for those who didn't want to go because it was 'too cold', be ashamed.

• Options
    Have to say I couldn't believe he didn't start, just don't think you can have two immobile lads up front, especially when you have two wide players who are more about cutting in and crossing than bombing on. All very static without a BWP or Haynes or a Wagstaff out wide... no wonder Wiggins ends up playing LB LWB LM LW.
  • Options
    There keeper was 4 ft 6 so why was no one standing on him from corners.? Looked shaky throughout.
    Green whipped on a couple of decent near post corners and we had no one near the front post
    Anyone get a good view of Solly's shot which hit post or was it hanf ball
  • Options
    that was just his width. He was only 2 ft tall.

• Options
    How we didn't score from a corner, their defender kicked it out the keeper's hands in the first half then the second the ball was all over the place and then a huge fluffed header from Taylor... we do look dangerous from set pieces now!
  • Options
    made me laugh our fans throwing a wobblie about his timewasting same as Hamer against both Sheffield clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hamer got booked though right?
  • Options
    Cold
  • Options
    eventually after 80 mins, he started timewasting after 10 mins. Another 20 mins and then their keeper would have been booked.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Oggy, I gave Clarke a 4 and think that was right.

If it's your full debut you have to show the crowd your ready to die for the cause.

Bloody hell, at least put a shift in.

I think what we saw is what a lot if fans at other clubs have seen before from him.

Has an awful first touch....gawd, really awful.

Can now see why Paolo wanted to slap him!

Falcs, it wasn't the 4 that several marked him, but a 3 .... which was why I wanted peoples' views on his performance. So thanks for your summary.

I was at Exeter, and when he came on as sub I got the impression he was scared to be out there! He looked frightened on the ball at first. But a few good touches and one quality control turn in the box and square ball laid on a very decent chance that someone lashed wide.

So there is ability there ...... but he looks very much a confidence player to me.

• Options
    Yes, EKA, a couple of superb crosses went across the face of the Bury goal without a red shirt up to bury (pardon the pun) them. And far too many attempts on goal went sky-high tonight which made the 'get out of jail' equaliser even more joyous to watch. Relief all round with CP having plenty to think about before Rochdale turn up. To be fair to Bury, they did not come and park the bus, and apart from their time-wasting antics at the end were good value.
  • Options
    Clem I don't think you have to worry about Hollands and Stephens working well together, they managed pretty well in the first 15 games or so! I think the main problem is that since Stephens got injured we had no choice but to have 2 defensive minded players in the middle - whether it was Hollands/Hughes, Hollands/Russell or Hollands/Pritchard. When Dale got injuired we brought Kermit into the side and managed to bypass the midfield a lot by playing balls up to him. Now we have Stephens back we need to try and keep the ball on the floor otherwise Hollands finds himself doing a lot of defending and Stephens at times today looked lost (fair enough he isn't match fit)

Also, personally I don't think we miss BWP as much as everyone makes out, give Haynes a run in the side. They are pretty much like for like....But in Powell we trust.
  • Options
    started well Oggy, but after he missed his chance looked void of confidence.
  • Options
    I noticed the fans getting on Clarke's back today after he missed a couple of touches and passes. Funny how when BWP sulks around with his shoulders down moaning nobody says anything, because lets not forget.. he has a song! BWP rant over.
  • Options
    Knew it was going to be 'one of those games' before the game started and when their keeper pulled off a couple of good saves in the first half that confirmed it.

Play was sloppy in the first half even though we had a few chances.

Bury looked organised and we struggled because i don't think we put enough energy in, too many 5/6 out of 10 performances.

Green infuriates me. He goes in late on the opposition getting himself a stupid yellow but then when it comes to challenging a legitimate 50/50 or just making his presence felt by jumping he is no where to be seen.

Wiggins was top quality again today. Thought Hamer could have done better with their goal, but maybe i'm being harsh.

Positive is we took a point, good confident boost for Stephens coming back and good to see how Haynes can change a game.

Agree what someone said about the shots on goal stat doesn't tell the story. Some of the shooting was woeful tonight. Hope we put it right against Rochdale on Saturday....we really need a good team performance and convincing win soon.
  • Options
    As Fiiiiiish says, it had "one of those games" written all over it from midway through the first half.

But this team is different. That's why we're going up.