Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Chesterfield Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    goals online anywhere yet?
  • Options
    RainbowDash February 28 Quote

redsek said:

Can someone please tell me what game will see us promoted? Would just like to know. Thanks.

Im wondering that too

Someone else has suggested this link before.

We can only now finish 19th or higher.
    It is worth checking after each game.
    I don't think it takes account of teams playing each other though?

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D2/runin.html
    The only thing wrong with the 365 thingy is it doesn't take into account that the teams below us have to play each other. To finish 19th would be mathmatically impossible and even if we didn't pick up a single point from now, I couldn't see us dropping no lower than about 8th............................anyway, that's all irrelevant as there's only one position wer'e going to finish and that's the position we've held since september.
  • Options
    If you take a step back and look what SCP has achived so far in his mangerial career it is overwhelming, the back end of last season was exactly what he said a time to review who he had and what their abilities are and who he was keeping and who he was not

then to ship out those players and highlight his targets and get them, in the timescales that he did

Then to mould them and get them to the top of the league where they have been since September even when our top scorer went off the boil

and to culminate in beating Huddersfield both Sheffield clubs MK and steveange at the time when we normal take our foot off the gas

to hear Clive walker waxing lyrical about us last night and the fella on Sky

you wouldnt think that SCP had been in management for just over a year,

2 loses so far (both 1 nil deflections)

unbeaten at home still by March

12 wins away by March

+ 40 GD

75 points by March

resurecting players careers

Morrison
    Taylor
    Hamer
    Kermogant
    Solly

to name a few

he didnt just go out and get the best players from this league and above he has seriously looked at who will complement who in each postion

You could argue that
    Hollands and Stephens & Wigginswere peaking at the time we signed them and they were astute and important signings that where taken from under the noses of rivals and competitors

We will win this league and we will win it because Chris Powell is a bloody good manager and has a plan that he knows how to execute

I cant believe how far he has come in what 12-14 months

• Options
    BWP shouldn't claim a hatrick....he didn't touch Green's low cross, which was going across the face of the goal before the defender slid in. Just have two goals and get your first hat-trick another time.

It was men against boys last night but you do wonder why Chesterfield stood off Charlton so much. They hardly put a tackle in and it was one of the cleanest games I have ever seen. It was good to see that we didn't waste the room that Chesterfield afforded us and every player was superb.

Good that we were able to involve three subs and save the legs of important players. Also good to see Hughes training with the team before the game.
  • Options
  • Options
    W
    If you take a step back and look what SCP has achived so far in his mangerial career it is overwhelming, the back end of last season was exactly what he said a time to review who he had and what their abilities are and who he was keeping and who he was not

then to ship out those players and highlight his targets and get them, in the timescales that he did

Then to mould them and get them to the top of the league where they have been since September even when our top scorer went off the boil

and to culminate in beating Huddersfield both Sheffield clubs MK and steveange at the time when we normal take our foot off the gas

12 wins away by March

+ 40 GD

75 points by March

Morrison
    Taylor
    Hamer
    Kermogant
    Solly

to name a few

he didnt just go out and get the best players from this league and above he has seriously looked at who will complement who in each postion

You could argue that
    Hollands and Stephens & Wigginswere peaking at the time we signed them and they were astute and important signings that where taken from under the noses of rivals and competitors

We will win this league and we will win it because Chris Powell is a bloody good manager and has a plan that he knows how to execute

Wonderful post, NLA. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Wonderful post, NLA. Thank you.

Totally agree, great post, puts his fantastic achievements into perspective, Powells not NLA, obviously. ;o)
  • Options
    Quote from SCP

"Strikers win games but defences win championships - they win promotions."
    But if we have both I'm not complaining ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    And so do great managers - quote from Muttley.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Great feeling this morning. For the first time I detect even the most pessimistic supporters whose understandable caution has been marinated in years of dissapointment have finally realised ... IT AIN'T GONNA GO WRONG.

One aim. And we are very nearly there....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    'We came, we saw, we conquered' Julius Caesar Charlton Athletic Tuesday 28th February 2012! This was Stevenage at home on Saturday revisited except the opposition never got lucky this time. Have not read the above posts so my uninfluenced recollection of events is that we were in the ascendancy for the first half and Chesterfield put up strong resistance looking as if they might nick something on the break. This was finally broken with a brilliant piece of play by Solly and then Green who fired a deflected shot against the bar which BWP tapped over the line just before half time (cue SCP to rewrite the half time team talk). Second half my prematch '3-0 Demolition' prediction came true (except we scored 4)! Every man was on his game, all wanting the ball and sending a clear message to the FLS, Steve Clarridge, Wendies, Pigs,Udders ............we are your champions in waiting!!!! Whereas BWP could not convert on Saturday he could not miss last night. Great awareness to swivel and score a scuffed JJ effort early in the second half it was game over except JJ then tucked one away from 12 yards after excellent approach play and an on the plate pass from Solly. Then came the icing on the cake a first ever BWP hat trick when he slid the ball home from Green's second assist of the night. The away support was fantastic and whatever oohaa says to the contrary our 700? sounded like 7000 as they sung their hearts out and I was proud to say I was one of them. Despite not getting home until 2.50am (missed the night bus Doh!) it was worth every minute. COYR now smash Bournemouth and that 100 point barrier!
  • Options
    Quote from SCP

"Strikers win games but defences win championships - they win promotions."
    But if we have both I'm not complaining ;)
    Building on NLA's excellent post, I had just been thinking how well SCP did in getting the defence to hold firm during our "blip" when the strikers weren't scoring. If a "blip" means only drawing and winning 1-0, then I will suffer it now and again! Glad to be through it now with the strikers tearing all in front of them to shreds!

• Options
    Just seen Bradley's second goal. What a turn and finish.
  • Options
    Life is sweet for us Addicks at the moment. Got called out unexpectedly last night left at 1-0 by them time i arrived it was 4-0.....rock on BWP! Dare we dream of the Championship? ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2012

12 wins away by March

+ 40 GD

75 points by March

Morrison
    Taylor
    Hamer
    Kermogant
    Solly

to name a few

You could argue that

Quality post and 100% correct Sir!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Life is sweet for us Addicks at the moment. Got called out unexpectedly last night left at 1-0 by them time i arrived it was 4-0.....rock on BWP! Dare we dream of the Championship? ;-)
    With the first team back in action and on the strength of the last two performances, let alone what has gone before..........You better believe it!
  • Options
    Wish to claim a record, 4-0 win missed every goal, in the bar. From what I saw we played well
    Buying me beer so tough shit
    Er was Tavern with you? Might explain it...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    He was with us for a while but had to go as he had a tart booked back at the hotel.
  • Options
    That would explain why he had a cab booked outside the ground at 9.50 and his haste to get back. sounded like he had been at the bar with Les berry!
  • Options
    not read other posts. Just going to say for now that Solly was immense, a 10 from me. Definately a BWP hat-trick. Some workman on the M1 diversion duties needs sacking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not read other posts. Just going to say for now that Solly was immense, a 10 from me. Definately a BWP hat-trick. Some workman on the M1 diversion duties needs sacking.
    Did you see the barn fire twice as well Large?
  • Options
    Came off at junction 20, quick sprint down the A5 and back on at 18.

Sorted.
  • Options
    Home circa 1.15am and not had chance to read the posts...

but as Large states, Solly was outstanding as usual and definitley my MOM.

However, take nothing away from the whole team - everyone played their part in this victory . We were a class above the opposition and played some delightful football. Another away game where the cost of making the effort to travel was repaid in spades. Can't wait for Bournemouth !

One downside was no wine on the concourse so doom & gloom from Fanny . However, it appears that a G & T as a substitute works wonders !!

• Options
    wooooooohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOING UP UP UP!!!!!
  • Options
    Home around 2am, having done the M1 diversion shananigans just the once we (well, me really, as I was the driver) decided to go down the A14/M11 route so happy to avoid the M25 problems too !!

Great game & at one point thought we would be doing a "uddersfield" and scoring 6.............but as I posted on Saturday, we don't like to heap too much misery on our opponants so we decided 4 was enough. Solly emmense (again) but other "mention in dispatches" must go to Taylor. Morrow & Kermy !!

As for BWP...............hat trick all day long. Forget TV replays etc, He is a striker and was there to get the final touch. John Aldridge made a carrer of scoring dubious goals and his records still stand so why do we persist in trying to take goals away from BWP........... I make it 4 in 2 games, but some on here will only be happy if he is credited with just 1 !!!
  • Options
    there was me expecting a tough 0-0 and what happens ? .. a brilliant performance from a confident and skilfull side which is back to its' best after a (understandable) lull.
  • Options
    there was me expecting a tough 0-0 and what happens ? .. a brilliant performance from a confident and skilfull side which is back to its' best after a (understandable) lull.
    Oh ye of little faith!
  • Options
    Oh ye of little faith!</</b>blockquote>

I know D R.. I went from super optimist to dowdy pessimist for this game. I expected Chesterfield to be better than they were, however we didn't give them a sniff. I now expect us not to lose again for the rest of the season. I'm off to check the bookies on that one .. IF it's available It'll be a skinny price.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    really enjoyed it. great little stadium. good view and everything,no change to the programme from 2 weeks ago though

the whole team all played very well, maybe taylor was our weakest until the subs came on. bwp didn't really seem to celebrate any of his goals whereas jackson really enjoyed his. thought chesterfield might have been denied a penalty but as it was down the other end i might be wrong.

as you'd expect with a side pissing the league, the fans were in fine voice with decent repertoire, at the end singing all ex players songs was cool. our songs only failed when we tried to rubbish chesterfield off, which was only a few times anyway.

travelling up there was too easy, ended up poodling along for the last hour as we were way too early and had one of our coaches overtake us. paid the price coming home with diversions and roadworks everywhere but still made in in 3 hours.

overheard a couple of chesterfield conversations going back to the car - "they're a classy side" and "they're much better than wednesday who don't deserve to go up"
  • Options
    Agree, I thought the "Your support is ***ing ****" within 5 mins was a tad unnecessary. Probably just banter though.