Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Leyton Orient Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    One of their players was to get sent off wasn't he, except the ref booked the wrong player .. Shocking officiating throughout the game, but good performance.

You know what, I thought that. I was certain the fella who'd committed the foul trotted off and another bloke stepped forward to take the booking. Thought I must've imagined it though.

• Options
    BigRedEvil
    7:02PM
    Scrappy game, 2nd half was nervy but we saw it through.

Thought Cook and Hamer had good games.

2 more wins and we'll be there, am I right in thinking if Wednesday lose their next 2 and we win the next two we will be promoted. YES
  • Options
    One of the most inept refereeing performances I have ever seen. He was pathetic.
    Yep, can't wait to (hopefully) leave these joke officials behind next season. Should have been 3 up by 15 mins with Cort's goal and BWP's pen that wasn't.
    Definitely a handball, to be honest I don't know why he wasn't booked, as for the penalty claim, clear as day!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I was reminded today of something the Lord Curbs said many years ago. The gist of it was 'Charlton fans are spoiled. They watch Barcelona v Inter in the Champions League on Sky on Wednesday night, then they come to the Valley on Saturday, see a cracking game and moan about the quality'. And he was talking about when we were in the Premiership!

I keep thinking while watching Charlton in recent weeks, ''this isn't great football''. Then I stop and ask myself what I'm comparing it against. No, it isn't great alongside the skills we will see on MOTD tonight. But then I look at the div one table and realise it must be pretty great for the level we're at, cos we've been top for last six months...

Pleased for Waggy today. He never stopped and is the sort of player who will always pop up with a goal, regardless of whether he's playing particularly well or not (and how valuable is that?) Cook was good. Cort was solid. N'G made an impact. In other words,fresh faces coming in and reinvigorating the team - exactly what you want at this point of the season.

After today, perhaps we can forget worrying about blowing it and go back to fretting about the new signings we will need in the championship!
  • Options
    A solid if unspectacular performance but that doesn't matter, we got the 3 points. Another 11 points guarantees promotion ( probably 10 given wednesdays goal diff) but in truth we should only need another 7 or 8. Not celebrating quite yet but if huddersfield beat massive next week and we win we are getting very close.
  • Options
    Good first half, poor second. But every win's a step closer.

2 good goals. Not taken with Cook as much as some. Great cross for the goal but didn't seem like a team player for much of the game. Taking too many people on and losing it. Would much rather JJ.

Hamer, Solly and Waggy played well and Stephens did well defensively. Not sure what casued our second half performance but it wasn't pretty to watch. We don't seem to like playing 2 good halves, ut at least we stay solid and keep going, as illustrated by the late goal.

Nearly there!
  • Options
    Well done to the team, but the ref was dreadful. We've had some poor referees this season, but this was the worst by far. Lovely cross from Cook for N'Guessan's goal.
  • Options
    Great opening 20 minutes. We then sat back a bit and gave Orient a chance to get back into but they just didn't want to know. They were more interested in pushing, pulling and tackling from behind; I never realised Leyton was that far north. Very surprised they finished with 11 on the pitch, thought at one point one of them would see a red.

Two goals, a clean sheet, three points, guaranteed play off spot (not that we want it) and another game whittled off the fixture list. Well happy.
  • Options
    The referee was being assessed today, the guys seemed to be extremely busy in the first half but just laughing in the second. My nerves are still shot but thankfully they're also anaesthetised with gin, I can't remember when I last felt that edgy before a game but I thank the gods that we've got a rubbish goalkeeper. Nice touch at the end from Yannn who went over to Waggy and lifted him up in the air. The squad seemed really pleased for him. Looking forward to Oldham now.
  • Options
    Not happy at all. Got kicked out of the pool due to first thunderstorms we have had in over a week above our hotel in Orlando. Well happy with the result although a little nervy reading the match thread. Proper lashing down now, might as well crack open a beer to celebrate the win!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solid result with Lisbie and spring on the the opposing team and the worst ref in recent memory, more than happy.
  • Options
    Hamer made an outstanding save first half today and other then one poor kick out was good all day.

Agree with IA, we may not have been Inter or Barca but we were more than good enough.
  • Options
    Yann does jump into/back into players as he leaps for the ball but this ref was not allowing him any leeway at all and when he was fouled he got sod all. I was impressed that Yann managed to hold his temper. Some of his passing was very impressive today. I thought Waggy was awesome in the 2nd half as the O's fought back. His defensive positioning was excellent. For some reason Stephens just didn't cut it today. I was hoping Pritchard would come on but nope. Also thought Lisbie played well with Mooney shite once again.
  • Options
    Our friend mr boyeson the ref from last week gave Sheffield utd an 80th minute penalty.not sure what to make of that.why was he allowed to ref at all after his abysmal performance at Huddersfield?
    And the ref we had today came from Yorkshire as well. Is this allowed?
  • Options
    For what it's worth my first reaction to the alleged handball was that the ref was right, or at least had a point. Cort's hand was definitely raised, I could not swear as to whether the ball came off his forehead or his arm (I sit behind and to the left of the goal.)
  • Options
    First 25 minutes was back to early season Charlton.
    The handball goal/non-goal seemed to kill the atmosphere on & off the field.
    Great save by Hamer from Spring, & looked like some good defending from him & Wiggins later in the first half (but couldnt really see from the NL).
    Orient adopted the bullying approach that Hudders also had last week & yet again the ref didn't seem to want to stop them. Yann just seemed to take kick after kick & yet get decisions against him. At some points the ref gave a decision & then looked confused.
    Waggy finished well from a well organised free kick. Wish he had gone at their left back a bit more though, as he couldn't have looked more uncomfortable in that position if he tried.
    Another solid game from Solly. Think Morrison may be the next of our centre backs to take a break though, as he has started to look a little jaded in the past few weeks.
    Thought Cook looked ok for his first game. A similar role to JJ with a good left foot, but never really someone you'd expect to run at defenders with pace. Great cross for the 2nd goal after having to work hard to win the ball back after a poor pass into him from Wiggins. If JJ can come back soon, maybe him inside with Hollands & Cook out left would work.
    BWP looked up for it the first half, but then faded. A good substitution from SCP with N'Guessan replacing him. I thought we had a good bench as well (with options to change things with different options).
    Not the best performance, but by no means the worse.
    Another win.
    7 points to go. . .
  • Options
    Good first half, poor second, but easily deserved the win, Orient were poor.

That was definitely a penalty for BWP.
  • Options
    the ref was shit

apart from that we won comfortably, i couldnt see anything wrong with corts goal, it wernt a pen, we scored a great 1st goal from a very quick and intelligent pass early and quickly from Yann to rhoys for waggs really good goal,

we shouldve scored when BWP hit it at rabchucka, and then cook shouldve drilled it in on the rebound (only thing he did wrong all game)

The tanacity and delivery for DNG to power the ball home was prem class

Hamer made a great save 1poor pass

Stephens and Hollands dont work for me to much of a gap between them

100 5 happy and 100 % convinced that it was a comfortable win ,
  • Options
    I bet the rest of the league are pleased we play against 12 men every week - i thought last weeks ref was a joke, but today's takes the biscuit !! On day we will get a "homer" at the Valley and we'll murder someone !!

Once we had scored I felt fairly comfortable & thought the lads did enough to be 3-0 up at half time (which, by rights, we would have been). Was never really worried that L'oriemt would score & couldn't beleive how a dirty team they have become...........just hope they continue & kick Rhodes into touch on tues night !!!

Solly (again) was my MOTM & is becoming my POTS. Waggy also did well & Hamer made a cracking save 1st half to keep us at 1-0. Cook was ok & great delivery for the 2nd goal, but still prefer JJ there - N'guessrn did well when he came on. BWP looked all at seas 2nd half, but probbaly just thought that he'd never get anything from the ref or his team mates today.

Still convinced we will get promoted at Carlisle !!!
  • Options

Still convinced we will get promoted at Carlisle !!!
    Nailed on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Posting before reading as usual (sorry Chirpy:-) ).

Not a classic by any stretch of the imagination but we got the job done. A quick free kick and the ever alert Waggy on the spot for a tap in which nevertheless had to be made. The second goal was a nice bit of interplay between Wiggins and Cook, Cook supplying a peach of a cross for N' Guessan to bury.

Until then there was that nagging doubt that Orient would equalise given that Hamer was forced into making two excellent saves that I can recall. Three points were paramount so both loan players have justified their signings through today's game alone. As we know N'Guessan settled the nerves against Yeovil with his goal.

Workmanlike rather than spectacular performances all round today. I strongly felt Kermorgant in particular was poorly treated by the ref during the match yet by the end 4 or 5 Orient players were booked and none of ours. Strange that the facts appear to contradict the impression.

Hard to pick a man of the match as they all turned up without doing anything outstanding although Waggy's sheer industry plus being Johnny on the spot for the first goal probably shades it for me from Hamer.

Strange atmosphere in the crowd. Very quiet at times, probably through a combination of an unspectacular match and sheer apprehension. At least there was no hostility towards a team who all put a shift in and got the three points we so desperately needed.
  • Options
    Clean sheet, 3 points and a deserved win.

Really needed that 2nd goal to calm the nerves,wasn't it quiet at times,strange atmosphere in the crowd.And as mentioned poor ref.

Hamer made a fantastic save and had a poor kick but kept a clean sheet.
  • Options
    I know Hamer had one dodgy one today but when he pulls off some of his intended passes they look brilliant. Counted two today and that one against Yeovil to Wiggins I will remember for a long time. He will get better and if we get there, will be our Champs keeper.
  • Options
    Told my old man in December for the first time in years I was enjoying watching Charlton again. Well I'm not know but that's to be expected at this time of the season. Hamer's save in the first half from Spring was top drawer. What the bloody hell has happened to central midfield, we are so deep we are calling teams on to us. Morrison looks shit scared, come on son at the start of the season I thought you were Pony, then I thought you were Bobby Moore. Believe in yourself but more important belive in Hamer.
    Solly you are the Bollocks,Cook dont make me look a dick but last time around you were shit, today mustard, Cort your 6 foot 4 Solly heads it better grow some balls, but apart from that good game.Waggy PROPER CHARLTON
  • Options
    Sitting in the north lower the disallowed goal was clearly a bullet header which I presumed the ref ruled out for a push hence the signal with his hand. If it was a handball then Cort would have been booked.

Wasn't able to concentrate fully as had my two-year-old daughter with me for the first time but thought the Os were very poor. Was nervous until the 2nd goal went in though as one is never enough.

Still feel the centre-mid combo is not right and could be our one issue over the next few games
  • Options
    dont think it was for the header but the flick on
  • Options
    Orient are a shithouse, roughhouse team who deserved nothing from the game, even though we were there for the taking for the middle hour of the game.
    The tempo was brilliant for 20 mins. Then we got nervous and lost the middle of the park for periods, though Orient did little with their possession.
    Results are everything now, but I don't see why we need to play with such nervousness when we are in the lead. Overall a deserved win. Just.
  • Options
    couldnt make it due to work, just wanted to ask to the people there how Kermogrant looked today after missing last week through illness did he look 100% or does it look more serious?
  • Options
    Posting before reading as usual (sorry Chirpy:-) ).

...I strongly felt Kermorgant in particular was poorly treated by the ref during the match yet by the end 4 or 5 Orient players were booked and none of ours. Strange that the facts appear to contradict the impression...
    Orient still have to play Huddersfield and Sheffield Utd. Those yellow cards could come back and bite us on the bum, if they have anyone suspended as a result.

That said, their team looked so poor today, Slade could do a lot worse than drop all 11 of them in future matches.
  • Options
    So, a good win and a break from the negative numpties on here, at least for another week. :-)

Oldham tickets booked. Getting Carlisle on Monday. COYR!!
    Nerves jangling. We made a very poor side look good for long periods when we dropped the pace. Central midfield very weak and outplayed by Matt Spring, that says it all. Cook was poor. Solly majestic and Hamer starting to look assured.
    Once again the lack of inspiration from SCP worried me a bit. The season hung in the balance at 1-0, nails have all gone. Couldn't stand another season in this crappy division.
    My mistake. They are still on here.
    LOL!