Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jubilee Weekend .... So what are you up to then?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    if you look closely you can just see her maj waving to me as i took this picture of the royal boat go past on the southbank... i had a great weekend!
    033.JPG 601.1K
  • Options
    Had a great day.

Had all the family round, proper Afternoon Tea party - posh sandwiches, homemade cakes, proper teapot, a little bit of fizz imported across the English Channel, and more Union Jacks than you'd find in the Mall.

Love ceremonial occasions and how wonderful London looks. Clearly not alone as milions lined the streets for successive days, and millions more were glued to the telly.

Long Live the Queen.
    Not Miserable
  • Options
    Made me feel really homesick watching it from afar....been away for 15 months and have already missed the Jubilee, Royal Wedding, The League Title and then the Olympics next month. Timing was never my strong point.
  • Options
    Made me feel really homesick watching it from afar....been away for 15 months and have already missed the Jubilee, Royal Wedding, The League Title and then the Olympics next month. Timing was never my strong point.
    I know exactly what you mean Dan mate...
  • Options
    I'm also fully expecting England to win the Euro's and for it to be the hottest summer (and winter) on record!
  • Options
    cheer up lads... you can take the people out of britain but you cant take britain out of its people! hope this helps your homesick ways? ;~)
  • Options
    cheer up lads... you can take the people out of britain but you cant take britain out of its people! hope this helps your homesick ways? ;~)
    I more than make up for it on my return bloodnut ; )
  • Options
    If I get too homesick I just think of the riots or not having to watch James Corden and feel much better!
  • Options
    The Jubilee Celebrations have been a fantastic spectacle and a remarkable tribute to a dignified and elegant Head Of State. The people of Britain can be truly proud of a great lady who has served her country with honour. I hope all my British friends have enjoyed the festivities. Its important for you all to celebrate your Britishness . I think Her Majesty has another decade in her. Be happy:))
  • Options
    Can't wait for her to reach the real landmark in I think it's 5 years time god willing and be the longest serving monarch in our history , when you consider the change in the world and in our own country in that time , to have one stable person to look upon as a person of consideration , virtue, trust And reliance is astonishing

You just got to love Elizabeth

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went round my parents afternoon tea after being in Scotland the weekend must say watching the concert and the highlights of the weekend last night made me very proud.

• Options
    she's got to beat 63 years 7 months and 2 days.

almost as long as Huddersfield unbeaten run.
  • Options
    Jeez, I don't know about cycling to Arras, you'll have a sore Arras after all that!
    I'm dreading sitting down on Wednesday lol

Hmm, Wednesday. I think I may well just sleep through and forget Wednesday even exists. 300 miles in 3 and a bit days was a bit of an effort. Cracking time though :-)

• Options
    The monarchy is steeped in history and that is British history. Many, many nations would give their right arm for that. We are privileged to have a thousand years and more of British history related to a monarchy and just to sweep that away for something else would be ludicrous and ridiculous. It would be like taking a very rare and valuable heirloom and throwing it on the fire. There would still be wars. People would still die. The monarchy can't be blamed for that. I agree, there is some pomposity but that's just the nature of it. I for one have felt very proud watching this from afar.
  • Options
    Watched the Gary Barlow documentary. I thought it could have been a bit cheesy but actually I really enjoyed it. The end product was excellent imho.

Watched River pageant on TV - wished I was there - fantastic. Not likely to see the like again in my life time.

Came down from Norfolk to Farnborough to my sister and brother in law for a Jubilee party - great time although it was 'king cold. Stayed over. Went round my mother and father in laws and watched the afternoon stuff today. The Mall looked superb.

Got home and watched the concert that I had recorded. I really enjoyed it even if the PA/Sound wasn't brilliant. Charles speak excellent and fireworks spectacular.

As AFKA said, London is brilliant backdrop.

I am not a particularly strong royalist but I have huge respect for The Queen who has hardly put a foot wrong and stands out head and shoulders above most elected heads of state. I was thinking about the recent trip to Ireland and the impact she had for reconciliation and good. One of, if not her finest hour.
  • Options
    The monarchy is steeped in history and that is British history. Many, many nations would give their right arm for that. We are privileged to have a thousand years and more of British history related to a monarchy and just to sweep that away for something else would be ludicrous and ridiculous. It would be like taking a very rare and valuable heirloom and throwing it on the fire. There would still be wars. People would still die. The monarchy can't be blamed for that. I agree, there is some pomposity but that's just the nature of it. I for one have felt very proud watching this from afar.
    Yes, but this thread is about what you are doing over the Jubilee weekend. ;)
  • Options
    Seriously heavy weekend. Very quiet in the office this morning.
  • Options
    As a younger man I used to advocate abolishing the royals, heads on spikes down the Mall etc but have watched almost all of the celebrations on the telly and have to admit to being totally blown away by it all...the boats on the Thames (despite the BBC commentary man telling us 'you really have to be here'), the service from St Pauls and the crowds flooding down the Mall were breathtaking and really did lead to a pride in being British. My nine year old daughter watched every second and really seems to have absorbed it as a really true moment of history.
    The only bit I missed was the concert but due to my current lack of employment status will take advantage of the I-player!
  • Options
    Went to the pageant and got a great spot between Vauxhall and Lambeth bridges with a really good view. Truly spectactular and wouldn't have missed it for anything a small piece of History I think. I am not particularly a Royalist but I have tremendous admiration for our Queen considering she has done a job for 60 years that was never in reality meant for her. On top of that as somebody interested in history I love the pageantry and tradition of these events it's a part of where we come from and what we stand for. A weekend to be proud to be British.
  • Options
    Back at my desk today, looking out the window over the Thames and disappointed not to see it full of boats! I've even had to take my bunting down :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Flat as a hat today. What a Great British weekend!
  • Options
    I was between Vauxhall & Lambeth bridges too, but about 20 rows back couldnt see a thing. People hanging off trees and all sorts.
  • Options
    JT We was just down from the MI6 building on the south back. My missus is like a ferret in a crowd we arrived at about 10.30 and by the time the pageant was about to start she had wormed our way to the front...amazing! She does this without upsetting anyone I don't know how, if it was me I would probably get a rigth hander!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    What it was like to be up in London i don't know , but it certainly made compelling tv watching , i lapped it up , we have a top drawer queen to be proud of , and i don't mean Elton John.

By the way was Cheryl Cole singing at the concert rubbish or what , the only dampener apart from the weather on the weekend.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    By the way was Cheryl Cole singing at the concert rubbish or what , the only dampener apart from the weather on the weekend.
    She can't sing full stop imho! Please don't be fooled just because she is a "judge" on Britains Got X-Factor. When she bangs on about the contestants vocals, she makes me feel physically sick! Saw her with her former "band" on TOTP2 the other day, she was the only one who never had a verse to sing. (Cheryl hits a nerve with me every time I see her I'm afraid) ; )

All that being said, I though the sound for the whole concert wasn't very good, but the accoustics of a round-about can't be much to work with.....
  • Options
    Seen and not heard
  • Options
    Whether you wish to hate or not, one thing can't be disputed, that for the majority of people this weekend brought people together, whatever their sex, gender, race, culture, age etc.

If you agree with the monarchy or not, it was good to see street parties being held all over the country with people of all backgrounds joining in, meeting neighbours & their communities, as well as hundreds of thousands up in London celebrating together.

Can't think of many other instances where this would happen with such a diverse range of people.
  • Options
    Can't think of many other instances where this would happen with such a diverse range of people.
    When Millwall took 40k to Wembley.........most of them had never met before in their lives :-)

• Options
    When Millwall took 40k to Wembley.........most of them had never met before in their lives :-)

Very good!