Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Jints said:

ilovelucy said:

Hmmmm, any more tips for lighter stuff, more like that recent languid British comedy gem, "The Detectorists", or the wry "W1A"?

If you've got on demand - Scrotal Recall is good. I also loved Broad City on Comedy Central but it won't be to everyone's taste.

(One episode of) "Broad City" was irritating, so gave up - thought we'd like it as we did say, "Girls", but not clever or funny imo. Watched the "Scrotal Recall" trailer, passably amusing. Will get it off "the high seas";)
  • edited August 2015

Wet Hot American Summer on Netflix - starring some big A-List names (Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Kristen Wiig and loads of others) is really very, very funny. A comedy based on US summer camps in the 80s (and of the original film) and totally ripping the genre to pieces.

At the risk of sounding like Riv on an RIP thread - A listers?

I have heard of Cooper. When I look down the cast list, I see Amy Poehler who I know from being one of the three people in Europe who watched Parks & Recreation. This also made me realise that I should have known Paul Rudd too, but A listers, GWE? Really? :smile:
  • Latest series of Veep is quality.

i been watching series 1 to 3 on my ipad on the train the last few weeks and I agree, it's quality

i been watching series 1 to 3 on my ipad on the train the last few weeks and I agree, it's quality

Not as good as The a Thick of It......but v funny nonetheless.
  • Anyone watching Witnesses, the French police thriller on Channel 5. Absolutely compulsive viewing imo.

Yes, we're fans of that one, bb.

Just caught up with this, absolutely fantastic. Channel 4 tho :)
  • Yep true detective season 2 was 90% nonsense

Didn't feel like there was any sense of closure and the last episode actually really disappointed me. The actors did a good job and their characters were fine in themselves but the whole storyline was too ambiguous. The dialogue didn't get any better either. Well slurred.

First series was tons better.
  • True detective.
    Series two worth watching? Loved the first, not started the second yet, wondering if I should bother...
  • Wet Hot American Summer on Netflix - starring some big A-List names (Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Kristen Wiig and loads of others) is really very, very funny. A comedy based on US summer camps in the 80s (and of the original film) and totally ripping the genre to pieces.

At the risk of sounding like Riv on an RIP thread - A listers?

I have heard of Cooper. When I look down the cast list, I see Amy Poehler who I know from being one of the three people in Europe who watched Parks & Recreation. This also made me realise that I should have known Paul Rudd too, but A listers, GWE? Really? :smile:
    I actually held back on Amy Poehler! Rudd is now starring in Marvel's Ant Man. OK perhaps not true A-listers, maybe B++ listers?!
  • Is anyone watching Football League Tonight on Channel 5 Saturday nights at 9pm? I'm hearing good things
  • cabbles said:

Is anyone watching Football League Tonight on Channel 5 Saturday nights at 9pm? I'm hearing good things

I'd turn your hearing aid off if I were you, cabbles.

• Sponsored links:

• True detective.
    Series two worth watching? Loved the first, not started the second yet, wondering if I should bother...

Definately
  • Thanks Beds, was going to watch it anyway at first after such a great first series but it seems like 90% of reviews for series two are negative (or at least more bad points than good points) perhaps that comes from automatically comparing one to the other and it just doesn't quite measure up.
  • Nah, it's not very good. The plot was so ambiguous and loose and the main suspects nobody could care or know about.

Turns out if you lost concentration for a second or misunderstood something in amongst the unitelligable drawl you wouldn't have a clue how the protagonists got to where they did.

Don't take my word for it though. It wasn't awful I probably need to watch it again but I don't really want to
  • Anyone watching Witnesses, the French police thriller on Channel 5. Absolutely compulsive viewing imo.

Have you watched Spiral? How does it compare, if so?

• Seeing as many people are talking about True Detective... I just finished all four seasons of a similar (but older) show 'The Killing' and totally loved it. It's hands down one of the best shows I've ever watched. Highly recommended. As for True Detective, I actually watched a bit of season one last year but the death scenes were too graphic for me and I stopped at the beginning of episode two...

Prague, you alerted me last year to Spiral, for which I will forever be in your debt. Nothing beats Spiral (although Braguo runs it close), but this is truely excellent. Not sure if it is a series. It is a 6 parter, but has potential to be a series runner, if they wanted to do so.
  • Watched True Detective and no idea what I saw...kept watching it though..couldn't work out if I was going deaf or if they actually weren't making any sense.. Watched Aquarius and thought it was OK, will watch again...currently watching Ray Donovan...really liked the first two series but feel that this one has gone off a bit...will keep watching though as it's easy viewing (and has made me want to buy a Merc CLS550, so I can channel my 'inner Ray')..
  • The latest Ray Donovan has become a little stale

Still great actors and some good acting but it may have run out of pace.
  • Watched True Detective and no idea what I saw...kept watching it though..couldn't work out if I was going deaf or if they actually weren't making any sense.. Watched Aquarius and thought it was OK, will watch again...currently watching Ray Donovan...really liked the first two series but feel that this one has gone off a bit...will keep watching though as it's easy viewing (and has made me want to buy a Merc CLS550, so I can channel my 'inner Ray')..

I'm glad its not only me who struggled with True Detective 2. Way too many characters and to say the plot was muddy was an understatement.

Vince Vaughn was hopeless as a mafia boss, just couldn't take him seriously at all.

Massive let down after the brilliant first season.

Looking foward to season 2 of Fargo.

Also went back to Sons of Anarchy. Binned it after the ridiculous Irish series. Halfway through season 6 and thankfully it has picked up again.

Prague, you alerted me last year to Spiral, for which I will forever be in your debt. Nothing beats Spiral (although Braguo runs it close), but this is truely excellent. Not sure if it is a series. It is a 6 parter, but has potential to be a series runner, if they wanted to do so.
    Just caught up with this. SHG also rates Witnesses (its C4 he says), so will try it tonight.

Anyway what is Braguo, where is it from?

• Sponsored links:

• sorry it is braquo a rogue French detective. truly excellent. yes channel 4
  • TelMc32 said:

Aquarius - anyone watching?

Recording it...don't say a word yet!! :wink:
    Ok! Post back when you've seen.
    Watched the first episode last night. Not a bad attempt at adding fiction into some factual events. Duchovny as the establishment man, trying to tap into it all through the young cop (Shafe) is good to watch too. Good soundtrack too. Will see how the next few episodes go.

Armando Iannucci, the British fellow behind "Thick of it" (Malcolm Tucker as our midfield enforcer, anyone?!), is writer/director of "Veep".
  • For those who prefer their TV fare to be lighter, less dark, or frenetic, I highly recommend a couple of recent U.S. series that may have been missed, "Transparent" (featuring Jeffrey Tambor, remember Larry Sanders?), and "Togetherness".
  • Looking forward to 'cradle to the grave' tomorrow... Even if it is about Danny Baker!
  • I have only a few episodes left to go on Banshee. It has gone straight into my top 10 shows of all time. Ridiculous story but fantastic action, brilliantly shot and some hilarious dark humour.
  • I'm ridiculously late to the party (I'm one of those who prefers to finish a series completely before starting another!) but just started Boardwalk Empire & I'm already hooked... as if anything involving Martin Scorsese, Steve Buscemi, Terence Winter etc would be anything but quality!

Cheers @colthe3rd - I've heard some good things about Banshee - even saw on Instagram that Tony Watt was watching it recently!
  • I've seen the first episode of Mr Robot ( it's nothing to do with Robots) and it was superb. It has had rave reviews in The US but I'm not sure if it's been picked up by a British TV company yet.
  • edited September 2015
    Not a huge comic-book guy but both Daredevil and Gotham were great. Looking forward to season 2 of both on Netflix, especially the latter.
  • Finished off Banshee, can't recommend it enough. Looking forward to the final season coming up.
    Jaddick said:

Not a huge comic-book guy but both Daredevil and Gotham were great. Looking forward to season 2 of both on Netflix, especially the latter.

Daredevil was excellent, the second season is currently being made. Jessica Jones is going to be shown this year on Netflix as is Luke Cage next year. Iron Fist is also going to be made and we'll also see all 4 team up in the Defenders TV show at some point. Looking forward to all of them.

Sorry but Gotham was terrible though.