Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Anyone watching Sandman? Wondering whether to give it a go.
    Finished it last night.
    I enjoyed it but it’s like anything of that genre, it’s no way near as good as the book.
    Some great cameos, a little dark but all in all a decent watch.

I’ll watch the next series for sure.
    I'm 8 episodes in. Generally very good with a few false notes (not a fan of Matthew the raven for example). I read the books years ago and although not a graphic novel person, I thought they were outstanding. Shame they are so expensive. 
  • Options
    I've just finished Better Call Saul, think it was brilliant, the finale especially.

This will be divisive but I personally enjoyed it more than Breaking Bad.
    I'm still trying to recover from the complete shiteness that was Breaking Bad. So much so that it's holding me back from starting Better Call Saul as I can't shake the feeling that it's going to be just as cack.
  • Options
    I've just finished Better Call Saul, think it was brilliant, the finale especially.

I'm still trying to recover from the complete shiteness that was Breaking Bad. So much so that it's holding me back from starting Better Call Saul as I can't shake the feeling that it's going to be just as cack.

Burn the heretic!
  • Options

Burn the heretic!
    :D

Fully appreciate that I'm an outlier in that regard but it just didn't do anything for me. Should have finished a season earlier.
  • Options

I agree. It's such a good character study, especially when the characters are so good. Looking forward to/dreading watching the finale over lunch today.
  • Options
    The first couple of series of Breeders were good. It tailed off a bit once kids in it started getting older.

Agree with this but also think the 3rd series had some great episodes. The acting from the mum in the road trip episode is absolutely superb - though not at all funny.
  • Options

Christ I didn't think BB was cack haha, just enjoyed BCS more. Was definitely a lot more consistent in quality IMO with similar highs as well.
  • Options

Burn the heretic!
    :D

Fully appreciate that I'm an outlier in that regard but it just didn't do anything for me. Should have finished a season earlier.
    I think you should be banned from this forum for saying BB is shit. I do completely agree thought that it should have ended after S4. Whilst I stille enjoyed S5, it had nothing on the two seasons before it. 
  • Options

Christ I didn't think BB was cack haha, just enjoyed BCS more. Was definitely a lot more consistent in quality IMO with similar highs as well.
    I think the second half of this season of BCS has been pretty crap. Not seen the finale yet though!
  • Options

I think the second half of this season of BCS has been pretty crap. Not seen the finale yet though!
    Not seen finale either but I think its been superb. Not as action-packed as the first half but so many brilliant little details and the acting from Rhea Seahorn in particular has been sensational. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:

Not seen finale either but I think its been superb. Not as action-packed as the first half but so many brilliant little details and the acting from Rhea Seahorn in particular has been sensational. 
    Guess it’s what you like, you’re right about the action, probably why I’ve not enjoyed it much. Only liked 1 of the previous 4 episodes. Overall it’s still been a class show. Seahorn is a cracking actress. 
  • Options
    Finished it last night.
    I enjoyed it but it’s like anything of that genre, it’s no way near as good as the book.

If you are a Neil Gaiman fan and it ever comes back, would highly recommend the stage version of Ocean at the end of the lane. Saw it last year and it was absolutely amazing. Superb representation of the book.
    My niece saw it & said exactly that.
    I’m hoping I can see it in the future 🙏🏻
  • Options
    Finished it last night.

If you are a Neil Gaiman fan and it ever comes back, would highly recommend the stage version of Ocean at the end of the lane. Saw it last year and it was absolutely amazing. Superb representation of the book.
    Superb … saw it twice 
  • Options
    Two bonus Sandman episodes on Netflix!
    Wooooohooooooo 😎
  • Options
    Jints said:

Guess it’s what you like, you’re right about the action, probably why I’ve not enjoyed it much. Only liked 1 of the previous 4 episodes. Overall it’s still been a class show. Seahorn is a cracking actress. 
    Her acting in Waterworks on the bus was brilliant. The final half season was definitely slower, but I loved it overall, especially the finale.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Marriage was awful! Wife hated it as well.
    The 1st episode was awful, but I'm a fan of Nicola Walker & like Sean Bean.
    So I watched the 2nd episode, it was just as awful.
    It's inexplicably, bizarrely, bad.
    It's so bad I've got to watch the rest of the series, to see if it is indeed the worst programme ever (not including all the wife's reality TV shite). 
    So glad that others feel the same way about 'Marriage' as I do. Nicola Walker is a great actress but the poorly written, inconsistent, unbelievable role she is playing is a travesty. Sean Bean seems poorly cast in a similarly poorly written character too. As a 56 year old married man of 12 + 22 years, I am struggling to relate to almost any of the interactions between the main characters with the exception of the opening 'jacket potato' scene which accurately portrayed fall-outs that come from nowhere. One minute 'Emma's' happy, affectionate and engaging and the next, for no obvious reason, is distant, introvert and elusive. It's just odd. I feel like I want to meet Nicola in the street and praise her efforts whilst sympathising with her for such an impossible role.

The daughter is single minded and a bit of a free spirit but is controlled by a stiff, bullying toff boyfriend - that doesn't seem to fit or work either.

I haven't yet 'Googled' the writer (Stefan) but would wager that he is young and is not writing from having a 'lived experience' of the experiences within a long marriage that this has focused on so far. All I keep thinking/saying to Mrs M is 'that's not what would have happened' or 'they'd have said this or that at this point' to the extent that it's pissing her off! Maybe that's Stefan's hidden objective here!?

I'm 1.5 episodes in and, like others have said, am trying to see this through in the faint hope that it's, actually, brilliantly written and that all of my 'struggles' with the characters, narrative and plot lines will all fall into place, making this a classic. I'm not placing any bets on that. As it stands, I genuinely am amazed that this passed the 'test' audiences and made it on to BBC.
  • Options
    Just Googled Stefan Golaszewski *(the writer and director of 'Marriage') and whilst I was right saying that he must be young and not having 'lived' a long marriage, I'm surprised to see that he also wrote the 3 series of 'Mum' which I only stumbled across fairly recently and, actually, really enjoyed. It's all very odd and, like this script, highly inconsistent.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Carter said:
    You know what, I was going to revisit and add motherland, agree about the Christmas special too. Diane Morgan not only looks like she could ride you so hard you won't walk without a limp for a fortnight she gets the best lines in that 
    I know a few people up here who know her. She's from Farnworth (same as Peter Kay) and went to school with a couple of the blokes I ride with regularly. Suffice it to say, she's not doing much in the way of acting in Motherland... 😁
    She's actually the polar opposite of the character she plays in Motherland in real life.
    My brother was at E15 with her and they were a couple for two years. She was quiet in company, but very funny. I liked her a lot..
    Di and me in Greenwich Park before she hit the big time.

....isn't that Bradley Cooper?
  • Options
    Just watched the 7th episode of the Arsenal doc on Amazon. The Saka moment with the little kid is brilliant.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    meldrew66 said:
    Just Googled Stefan Golaszewski *(the writer and director of 'Marriage') and whilst I was right saying that he must be young and not having 'lived' a long marriage, I'm surprised to see that he also wrote the 3 series of 'Mum' which I only stumbled across fairly recently and, actually, really enjoyed. It's all very odd and, like this script, highly inconsistent.
    Yes Mum was very good so I had high hopes for Marriage and was so disappointed with it. Makes you wonder why two such actors agreed to be in it although I expect Sean Bean wanted to change from all that Yorkshire Tea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a Marvel fan, I was interested in the latest disney plus show She-Hulk -  no spoilers here-ish (not sure if that is even required to say) to say I was disappointed is an understatement. I don't think slagging off men for 30 minutes, making the protagonist be flawless, already superior in every way to the "wise mentor", brushing off obvious plot holes, and all around insulting the core demographic that has made marvel what it is, is a wise move.

It was in the trailer so I don't think this counts as a spoiler, but for example, the way a male legacy character was discussed was incredibly sexist, irrelevant to the plot, and overall un-funny. I don't know what it is about Marvel that they think because women were sexualised and objectified in the past, means that to redress the balance they need to do it with the male characters in this era - it's pathetic, lazy and just makes you realise that they just don't get it at all. 

I won't be back for episode two because the writers have made it extremely clear this series was not for me. (i'll catch the daredevil return in a clip on youtube or something)
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    On the nose there @Manic_mania, glad it wasn't just me

Especially with regards to the legacy character... I dont like to be that type of person, but all I could think of was: "Wow, imagine if the roles were reversed the other way here" - Was not okay.

I'll probably watch the rest of the episodes... But already this has been by far the worst of the Disney+ releases - Fully expect RDJ and Chris Evans to be recalled for Secret Wars (2025), as a rescue mission for Marvel at the moment
  • Options
    On the nose there @Manic_mania, glad it wasn't just me

Especially with regards to the legacy character... I dont like to be that type of person, but all I could think of was: "Wow, imagine if the roles were reversed the other way here" - Was not okay.

I'll probably watch the rest of the episodes... But already this has been by far the worst of the Disney+ releases - Fully expect RDJ and Chris Evans to be recalled for Secret Wars (2025), as a rescue mission for Marvel at the moment
    What annoys me more is they touched on things from the comics that the films have never touched (which I think they could have before)

SPOILERSSSSSSSS for the comics

like Tony's alcoholism, and just made a joke out of it and brushed it off. I was annoyed at iron man 3 for that very reason because that could and should have been the through thread of that film. It was almost an insult to the comic fans that they even referenced it for THIS - it's like the writers are doing it purposely to alienate people.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Well, watched all 4 episodes of ‘Marriage’. I was right. It’s total garbage! Christ knows how it got to BBC. I can only think that it was on the back of the writer/producer/director, Stefan Golaszewski’s, past success of ‘Mum’. I just hope any youngsters watching that don’t believe that what they saw is even vaguely representative of how couples are in a long marriage.
  • Options
    I’m a big Marvel fan, but I too was left numb by the first episode of She-Hulk. I will go back for Ep 2, just to see if this episode was a one off misfire or to witness a complete ill thought through production. I hope it is the former, as these characters will be showing on the big screen in due course and the story interlinks likely important, so hate the idea of suffering a series for completeness. 

Am 4/6 on Ms. Marvel and enjoying that more, but not stellar either. Latest Thor movie felt the same. Hoping Black Panther 2, Ant-Man and the Marvels can re-ignite the earlier phases’ quality levels.
  • Options
    I’m a big Marvel fan, but I too was left numb by the first episode of She-Hulk. I will go back for Ep 2, just to see if this episode was a one off misfire or to witness a complete ill thought through production. I hope it is the former, as these characters will be showing on the big screen in due course and the story interlinks likely important, so hate the idea of suffering a series for completeness. 

Am 4/6 on Ms. Marvel and enjoying that more, but not stellar either. Latest Thor movie felt the same. Hoping Black Panther 2, Ant-Man and the Marvels can re-ignite the earlier phases’ quality levels.
    I read something the other day, saying that the first episode of She-Hulk may have been that way (Already flawless etc.) because she was the one telling the recap and what had happened up until the present day, so was going to be a bit biased and skip a lot of shit.

I hope that's the case, as will give Ep2 a go, but still going to be cautious towards it.

Still not forgiven the legacy character bullshit though
  • Options

I read something the other day, saying that the first episode of She-Hulk may have been that way (Already flawless etc.) because she was the one telling the recap and what had happened up until the present day, so was going to be a bit biased and skip a lot of shit.

I hope that's the case, as will give Ep2 a go, but still going to be cautious towards it.

Still not forgiven the legacy character bullshit though
    Agreed on latter point, unnecessary b@llsh@t and needless script writing…
  • Options
    Sundays sorted for us all, Towie is back...
  • Options
    Marvel movies and TV shows have been very poor for some time now. Their incessant need to crowbar various political and social agendas into the shows at the expense of storylines and entertainment has become tiresome. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Well, watched all 4 episodes of ‘Marriage’. I was right. It’s total garbage! Christ knows how it got to BBC. I can only think that it was on the back of the writer/producer/director, Stefan Golaszewski’s, past success of ‘Mum’. I just hope any youngsters watching that don’t believe that what they saw is even vaguely representative of how couples are in a long marriage.
    And what was that ‘theme music’ all about? Had to keep watching to the end in case there was some point to it but sadly not. Perhaps they are building things up for a second series  :#