Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited September 2022
    JWADDICK said:
    TEL said:
    The Rings of Power

Not a big Lord of the rings fan myself, but I have to say this series has started quite well.  I found the films very dark and a bit monotonous if I'm honest. 

Anyway apart from the Hobbits being more Leprechaun like and headed by an unconvincing Lenny Henry, the rest I actually enjoyed. Let's see how it goes after a few more episodes. 

It's on Paramount btw. 
    Really? I'm buggered if I can see it and I refuse to give more money to those robbing cnts at Amazon.
    It's on Paramount...*****my mistake, my Prime and Paramount are merged so, my aplologies it's actually on Prime.*****

im subscribed to both Prime and Paramount

However, it might be delayed broadcast in the UK. 

• Options
    Started welcome to Wrexham.
    Pretty good so far
  • Options
    I watched Power of the Ring on Amazon late last night. Didn’t say anything about Paramount to me? 

Found the first episode really engaging and the landscapes and filming were cinematic quality. Will watch Ep 2 later. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    The Rings of Power

Not a big Lord of the rings fan myself, but I have to say this series has started quite well.  I found the films very dark and a bit monotonous if I'm honest. 

Anyway apart from the Hobbits being more Leprechaun like and headed by an unconvincing Lenny Henry, the rest I actually enjoyed. Let's see how it goes after a few more episodes. 

It's on Paramount btw. 
    You can definitely see why it was so expensive, the production values and VFX are top notch but plot wise etc it's a bit slow to get going and apart from Galadriel none of the characters seem very engaging.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    TEL said:
    The Rings of Power

It's on Paramount btw. 
    You can definitely see why it was so expensive, the production values and VFX are top notch but plot wise etc it's a bit slow to get going and apart from Galadriel none of the characters seem very engaging.
    Have read Tolkien’s saga more than once and I think the pace is in keeping with the creator’s style tbf. 8 hours + for what many others would cover in 4-5. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    TEL said:
    The Rings of Power

It's on Paramount btw. 
    Just watched episode 2.... 

I've got to say I'm enjoying it so far. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    TEL said:
    The Rings of Power

It's on Paramount btw. 
    Have read Tolkien’s saga more than once and I think the pace is in keeping with the creator’s style tbf. 8 hours + for what many others would cover in 4-5. 
    Very true, I am a Tolkien fan and I get that. But what works in text might not work as well in television format in fairness, if I'm reading it then it's because I have time to read, if I'm watching it on TV I don't have the descriptions and prose to enjoy so I would prefer just a little more action.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I'm way behind on this, but we started watching Sex Education on Netflix.  We're a couple.of episodes into S2 at the moment

It's so good.  Really funny.

The headmaster and son are so well cast too, had to Google if they were really related.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    thenewbie said:
    TEL said:
    The Rings of Power

It's on Paramount btw. 
    Just watched episode 2.... 

I've got to say I'm enjoying it so far. 
    Yup, agreed
  • Options
    Ridley is pretty good. Mind you, wife fell asleep as too slow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched Power of the Ring on Amazon late last night. Didn’t say anything about Paramount to me? 

Found the first episode really engaging and the landscapes and filming were cinematic quality. Will watch Ep 2 later. 
    Thought Episode 2 was really good. The dwarves’ series entry and pace/threat picking up were really positive. Who on Earth came down from the skies, Sauron, Saruman, Gandalf? Or a new character…?
  • Options

Thought Episode 2 was really good. The dwarves’ series entry and pace/threat picking up were really positive. Who on Earth came down from the skies, Sauron, Saruman, Gandalf? Or a new character…?
    If we're going by Tolkien's own timeline it can't be Gandalf or Saruman (yet) though I suspect they might fudge it by having it be him just under one of his other names instead.

It could be Sauron or one of the "Blue Wizards" who haven't otherwise been mentioned but I am not sure yet.

I am more positive after two episodes than just the first one so I am definitely interested in seeing where it goes
  • Options
    I'm liking Ridley a lot but keep expecting Adrian Dunbar to mention 'bent coppers'. Thought episode one of The Suspect was very good too. 
  • Options
    watched the first two episodes of series 2 of the Capture on BBC1 last night
    Thought was pretty decent
  • Options
    First episodes of both Till Death Us Do Part and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin on That's TV last night.

Not quite sure they count as new TV series, though!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

If we're going by Tolkien's own timeline it can't be Gandalf or Saruman (yet) though I suspect they might fudge it by having it be him just under one of his other names instead.

It could be Sauron or one of the "Blue Wizards" who haven't otherwise been mentioned but I am not sure yet.

I am more positive after two episodes than just the first one so I am definitely interested in seeing where it goes
    Think it will be one of the 'Blue Wizards' as there is very very little information on them in Tolkien's books so they have artistic license to make them how they like and they came to Middle Earth earlier than Saruman, Gandalf and Radagast, who only come in the 3rd age, after the plot of this show will cover. They might in the end then try and explain why they are absent in the 3rd age LOTR/Hobbit era.

Few of my mates think it is Sauron in a guise as he is a shapeshifter so it could be a ploy by him, but I can't see the show introducing Sauron, the main evil of the story line, to the audience in that fashion.

Think the first 2 eps were good overall, a little slow paced though for 2 hours of viewing. Hated the Hobbits frankly, wish they'd been left out altogether.
  • Options
    Has anybody watched Midnight Mass on netflix? Same cast as the Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, but different writers.

I've only watched one episode but it was a pretty good start.
  • Options
    Stupid question - I’ve never read any of the Lord of the Rings books or watched any of the films, but am intrigued by Rings of Power. Is it going to be completely pointless me watching without any knowledge of the previous material? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Stupid question - I’ve never read any of the Lord of the Rings books or watched any of the films, but am intrigued by Rings of Power. Is it going to be completely pointless me watching without any knowledge of the previous material? 
    Wouldn't have said you'd need prior knowledge to be honest. There is a bit of opening exposition that gives some background. Loads of characters on it which might get a little confusing. 

Not having prior knowledge might be a good thing given the number of Tolkien diehards getting horribly bent out of shape because of the haircuts and skin colour of some characters.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    se9addick said:
    Yeah you should absolutely watch all 3 Hobbit films at least twice before you give this series a go.

Sorry I'm messing with you, its not really necessary 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    It shouldn't be - one of my mates watched it and was a bit confused because of their being lots of new characters, but GOT was confusing for many for that reason as well.

At the end of the day Prime would want it to be accessible for everyone, even completely new fans, so you shouldn't need prior knowledge of anything. If you've seen LOTR that will help a little as some of the elves in that are in this.
  • Options
    Cool, cheers chaps 
  • Options
    Has anybody watched True Story on Netflix.
    Binged it Saturday thought it was very good.
    Kevin Hart and Wesley Snipes.
  • Options
    " Inventing Anna" on Netflix anyone ? 

Thought it wasn't my cup of tea at first but gradually drawn into it as the episodes progressed.

Different & seemingly a totally fictional scenario but it is based on a true story.

Anna is played superbly by Julia Garner who was Ruth in the  Ozark series. 
  • Options
    " Inventing Anna" on Netflix anyone ? 

Thought it wasn't my cup of tea at first but gradually drawn into it as the episodes progressed.

Different & seemingly a totally fictional scenario but it is based on a true story.

Anna is played superbly by Julia Garner who was Ruth in the  Ozark series. 
    I gave up on it - disliked all of the characters. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Ladhood series 3 episode 1 on iplayer, brilliant 
  • Options
    First episodes of both Till Death Us Do Part and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin on That's TV last night.

Not quite sure they count as new TV series, though!
    Can bet your bottom dollar that @AFKABartram won't have seen them!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    First episode of Rings of Power is very good... Wont bother with episode two tonight but Amazon have done well so far.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Not a daft question at all. Watch without reading by all means. But the book is magnificent and well worth the effort.
  • Options
    3rd series of ladhood was consumed by me earlier and it was again fantastic. Liam Williams is as sharp as they come as a writer