Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Also just started season 3 of power. Not the best series you will ever see but highly entertaining if you like that American hood gangster stuff. Produced by 50 cent haha!

Going to give Gomorra a try next definitely.

I enjoyed season 1, it went downhill pretty fast after that, imo.

I also just finished The Man in the High Castle......

What a load of shite, the last 5 minutes left me wanting to throw my TV out the window.
    I gave up on TMITHC after about six episodes. Very well shot, etc., excellent premise, but for some reason it bored me.
    I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes, I think the idea is a good one, something just went really wrong.

• On Netflix, REQUIEM FOR THE AMERICAN DREAM with Noam Chomsky Is well worth watching.
    "In essense, Chomsky asks why America seemed to reach the zenith of its economic and civic vibrancy in the 1950s and ‘60s and then go into a decline that has left few except the top tenth of a percent of Americans truly fulfilled or satisfied. To answer the question, he constructs a narrative that entwines ideas and events, both harkening back to 1776. In that year, British moral philosopher Adam Smith published “The Wealth of Nations,” in which he argued that merchants and manufacturers dominate government in defense of their own interests regardless of how it affects the rest of society. In examining the government that resulted from the American Revolution, begun in the same year, Chomsky finds that even James Madison, whom he calls as a great a believer in democracy as anyone then, wanted U.S. society controlled by “the wealthy”—property owners might be a better term—which he thought was the most “responsible” element of the citizenry. Thus was launched a never-ending battle between those desiring more democracy from below against those seeking more elite control from above."
  • Not sure it has come out in the UK, but I am enjoying Preacher. Its based on the 90's comic, although it is set prior to the comic at this point (probably to save on budget). The Pilot episode jumps around a bit but was very enjoyable, but the rest of the series is alot slower. It has been renewed for a 2nd season in the US so it should get alot more interesting.
  • red_murph said:

Enjoying 'Bosch' on Amazon Prime (freebie) .. very good adaptations of the long running Michael Connelly LAPD detective novels ..

Just seen the first three episodes, decent so far. Was a big fan of the books.
    First season, the bad guy in it was so believable. Had me hooked.

Second season, good but following the first was going to be tough. Felt it dragged a little.
  • Kiely#1 said:

"The night of" with Riz Ahmed from Four Lions. Very tense stuff, one of the best things I've seen in some time.

This is great!
  • I watched the "I Am Not Your Guru" documentary on Netflix, thinking it would be an interesting look at the cult of self-help seminars. It was not that at all. But it was completely gripping.
  • Not sure it has come out in the UK, but I am enjoying Preacher. Its based on the 90's comic, although it is set prior to the comic at this point (probably to save on budget). The Pilot episode jumps around a bit but was very enjoyable, but the rest of the series is alot slower. It has been renewed for a 2nd season in the US so it should get alot more interesting.

It's on Amazon Prime Video.
  • Also just started season 3 of power. Not the best series you will ever see but highly entertaining if you like that American hood gangster stuff. Produced by 50 cent haha!

Going to give Gomorra a try next definitely.

I enjoyed season 1, it went downhill pretty fast after that, imo.

I also just finished The Man in the High Castle......

What a load of shite, the last 5 minutes left me wanting to throw my TV out the window.
    I gave up on TMITHC after about six episodes. Very well shot, etc., excellent premise, but for some reason it bored me.
    I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes, I think the idea is a good one, something just went really wrong.

Im gonna give the second series a go and see where they go with it. If it gets too 'supernatural' then i'll bin it off.
  • There's gonna be a 2nd season? How?

*****spoiler******

a different f****** dream?
  • Did anyone watch Saddam goes to Hollywood last night? flipping bizarre! I think a movie should be made of the making of the movie, which was never seen.
  • Sponsored links:

I've spent most of the first series trying to think where I knew the Irish vampire from. Eventually Googled and realised it's Woody from This is England. Kicked myself for not realising that.

So many Brit's getting parts in US dramas these days.

I've spent most of the first series trying to think where I knew the Irish vampire from. Eventually Googled and realised it's Woody from This is England. Kicked myself for not realising that.

Yeah I enjoy his character, would love to see a series just about him tbh.

Yeah I enjoy his character, would love to see a series just about him tbh.
    Or as he is otherwise known 'Eli Dingle' from Emmerdale :)
  • Giving The Live And The Dead a go again the night
  • Barely maintained interest throughout the first season of Wayward Pines.
    Wasn't going to bother with series 2, but so glad I did.
    Knocks series 1 into a cocked hat.
    I' m finding it rivetting and there are so many ways it could play out now.
    Great stuff
  • Barely maintained interest throughout the first season of Wayward Pines.
    Wasn't going to bother with series 2, but so glad I did.
    Knocks series 1 into a cocked hat.
    I' m finding it rivetting and there are so many ways it could play out now.
    Great stuff

We're enjoying it too.

• Have any of the Oz based Addicks watched any of the 'Kettering Incident' on Foxtel, with the delightful Elizabeth Debicki?

Sort of a Twin Peaks crossed with True Detective, solely shot in rural Tasmania, which in itself gives the series an other worldly feel.

Also one of those shows that just when you feel it is losing momentum, it will burst back into life with barely disguised relish.

Well worth a watch IMHO.
  • Scandi fans, I recommend "Occupied". It's Norwegian and depicts a Russian "invasion" of Norway, not with tanks as happened here in 1968, more subtle than that, but definitely one I am keeping away from the wife, it would give her nightmares. It's based on a Jo Nesbo "concept", and apparently the real life Russians are very pissed off with it. It's actually quite subtle and thoughtful, with the EU portrayed as being on the wrong side too. I'm up to episode 3 and racing through it.

By contrast I must say that I will struggle to finish "The Out-laws" the Belgian series, after enjoying it early on.
  • Scandi fans, I recommend "Occupied". It's Norwegian and depicts a Russian "invasion" of Norway, not with tanks as happened here in 1968, more subtle than that, but definitely one I am keeping away from the wife, it would give her nightmares. It's based on a Jo Nesbo "concept", and apparently the real life Russians are very pissed off with it. It's actually quite subtle and thoughtful, with the EU portrayed as being on the wrong side too. I'm up to episode 3 and racing through it.

By contrast I must say that I will struggle to finish "The Out-laws" the Belgian series, after enjoying it early on.

Haven't tried it yet, but a Czech friend of mine highly recommended it to me, although he is about 40 so not old enough to remember 1968.

On a Scandi-noir note, series 4 of the Bridge due to start filming in November. Can't wait for it to air.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just started Ray Donovan. Pretty good.
  • 500 Questions. What a load of shite.
  • Valley11 said:

Just started Ray Donovan. Pretty good.

Just added to my Amazon prime watchlist.
    And Vikings
    And Walking Dead.

We have just watched first four series (not seasons grr) of Homeland in the last month and enjoyed it, even if a not far fetched occasionally.
  • Just started "Stranger Things" and "The Night Of" - they are both great so far and would highly recommend.

v brief insight:

Night of - murder mystery

Stranger Things - think super 8 but with some horror thrown in.

• Watched the first six episodes of "The Night Of " - absolutely brilliant viewing.

• Valley11 said:

Brilliant series . You are in for a treat .
  • Really enjoyed 'The Last Kingdom' watched it all in a couple of days.
  • I watched the series about the OJ Simpson trial 'American Crime Story' earlier this month. Not exactly new but the best series I've watched this year. One of the few series that I've binge-watched. Highly recommended.

I've been watching 'American Crime' Season Two this week. Not as good as the similar titled series I just mentioned above but still worth watching.
  • Just started "Stranger Things" and "The Night Of" - they are both great so far and would highly recommend.

v brief insight:

Night of - murder mystery

Stranger Things - think super 8 but with some horror thrown in.

Watched the first of the night of, thought it was a bit slow. Strangely wanted to watch the second one. Will try to watch the rest as it was gripping, Howe watched while at my cousins' on his box, not sure what channel it was on.
  • Valley11 said:

Brilliant series . You are in for a treat .
    +1 for Ray Donovan. Little bit disappointed with the current season though.