Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• The Young Pope. Watched the first episode. Two hours. Way too long. Lavish production but Jude Law's Pope comes across as an utter Chunt. I guess that's the point. Will give it episode 2 but not hopeful.

I saw some clips of this on Gogglebox. Looks very weird
  • buckshee said:

Anyone watch Goliath on Amazon with Billy Bob Thornton?

Just finished it last night and really enjoyed it.

Watched the first episode, enjoyed it. Billy bob is always compelling to watch.
    Watched the first 3 episodes yesterday, really enjoying it so far.
  • Planet Earth II

THREE MINUTE KLAXON!!!!
  • I'be watched a few episodes of Designated Survivor with Keifer Sutherland. It's a kind of mix of 24 and The West Wing. If you liked those two shows you will probably like it.
  • Planet Earth II

THREE MINUTE KLAXON!!!!

Breathtaking
  • Planet Earth II

THREE MINUTE KLAXON!!!!

Just watched this I would have to use every superlative in the dictionary to say how brilliant I thought it was.
  • The camerawork is so incredible I almost don't believe it's possible.
    Visually stunning.
    Attenborough is a genius in engaging the audience.

What an amazing place
  • Amazing prog, the snakes chasing the iguana's was fantastic. Lemurs and Sloths great too. Wonderful programme.
  • Planet Earth II

THREE MINUTE KLAXON!!!!

Just watched this I would have to use every superlative in the dictionary to say how brilliant I thought it was.
    Yeah but the BBC's a waste of money, blah, blah, blah... ;-)

Just stunning from start to finish.
  • Best programme on TV by an absolute mile. Incredible.
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

Just finished it. Enjoyed it. Not too predictable, but not too way out either. Billy Bob is quality.
  • Poldark finale.

Demelza - I'm disappointed in you.
  • Finished Black Mirror series 3 on Netflix, best one was San Junipero. Really thought provoking, little emotional.

Started watching The Crown, not normally something I would watch but after seeing only positive things given it a go. Pleasantly surprised.
  • I came home from the pub and thought I was watching Planet Earth but it turned out to be Empire of the Sun's outrageous stage show on Jools.

Will make sure to watch the real thing tonight.

But as an aside, while music is always a personal thing I do find I am enjoying a lot of the current series of Later.
  • Poldark finale.

Once a scullery maid....

• Watched the first three Goliath episodes as well, very good, really enjoying it.
  • Poldark finale.

I've struggled so hard with this.
    Let me put my cards on the table - the BBC dramatisation of Poldark in the 70's was the best historical drama they have ever done imo (and they set the bar high).
    I have had the box set of DVD's for years and dig them out periodically to watch all over again.
    So, a new production was always going to be a hard act to follow for me.

What I think Debbie Horsfield has done is write a version of Poldark for the modern age.
    And judged on it's merits she has succeeded.
    And yet...

The acting is good, but this version just seems to lack a true sense of the period and for me it loses something.
    At a basic level it sometimes seems like a bunch of post modern pretty things in fancy dress.
    At it's worst we had Demelza reacting to Ross's indiscretion with Elizabeth with a defiant feminist diatribe that would have any self respecting woman nodding approval.
    But it is supposed to be the fucking 18th century
    Angharad Rees's Demelza in the 70's managed to convey her superficial defiance with the knowledge of her vulnerability and the hopelessness of her position without Ross.
    Similarly the 70's Elizabeth oozed a sense of class and entitlement that the current actress doesn't seem to "get".
    There are numerous other examples.
    But hey, my wife loves it. :smile:
  • edited November 2016

buckshee said:

Just finished it. Enjoyed it. Not too predictable, but not too way out either. Billy Bob is quality.
    Also just finished this. Quite under played by billy bob. Very John Grisham in style but worth a watch if you enjoy court room conspiracies.
  • Poldark finale.

I've struggled so hard with this.
    Let me put my cards on the table - the BBC dramatisation of Poldark in the 70's was the best historical drama they have ever done imo (and they set the bar high).
    I have had the box set of DVD's for years and dig them out periodically to watch all over again.
    So, a new production was always going to be a hard act to follow for me.

What I think Debbie Horsfield has done is write a version of Poldark for the modern age.
    And judged on it's merits she has succeeded.
    And yet...

The acting is good, but this version just seems to lack a true sense of the period and for me it loses something.
    At a basic level it sometimes seems like a bunch of post modern pretty things in fancy dress.
    At it's worst we had Demelza reacting to Ross's indiscretion with Elizabeth with a defiant feminist diatribe that would have any self respecting woman nodding approval.
    But it is supposed to be the fucking 18th century
    Angharad Rees's Demelza in the 70's managed to convey her superficial defiance with the knowledge of her vulnerability and the hopelessness of her position without Ross.
    Similarly the 70's Elizabeth oozed a sense of class and entitlement that the current actress doesn't seem to "get".
    There are numerous other examples.
    But hey, my wife loves it. :smile:
    No one could play Elizabeth in a more wooden manner than Heida Reed. Not sure I have seen a worse performance in a BBC drama
  • Just caught the first episode of Luke Cage. Stylishly done, entertaining, just a shame I couldn't pick up some of the dialogue.
  • Sponsored links:

• This was briefly mentioned on a podcast I listen too, anyone watched it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NpcxhECnM
  • Glovepup said:

This was briefly mentioned on a podcast I listen too, anyone watched it?

Yes. Enjoyed it. If you like Scandi-noire you'll enjoy this. Not as good at the Killing or the Bridge but most things aren't. One of the better things I watched last year.

• I'm really hooked on the Scandi Nordic noir dramas.
    The killing, The Bridge, Trapped and Borgen,
    that when i watch The level , Paranoid or the Missing ?

I have the sub titles on and the sound turned down.
  • edited November 2016

Glovepup said:

This was briefly mentioned on a podcast I listen too, anyone watched it?

Yes. Enjoyed it. If you like Scandi-noire you'll enjoy this. Not as good at the Killing or the Bridge but most things aren't. One of the better things I watched last year.

Seconded. Actually the weather is a major star, and I don't say that to demean the actors, the lead guy is very good. Good to watch in winter, with the lights low, and candles glowing, Scandi style.

By contrast I watched Deep Water, currently running in BBC4's Saturday night crime slot where you usually find these Scandis. It's set in Sydney, more specifically Bondi, lead role a female detective with some "past". In other words, Aussie noir, except you can't really do "noir" against a backdrop of sunshine and gorgeous beaches. It's OK while we wait for the serious players to return after Christmas, both the Bridge and Spiral are due.

• We've just started watching Timeless on our new Kodi. It's a bit short on intellectual content but the stories are well conceived and it hits the spot for a twelve year old and his Dad that has the same mental age.
  • Shooter starts on Netflix this week.
    Should be really Good
  • Braquo as good as ever on Fox. French cop drama like Spiral.
  • The Missing.
    Best thing on TV
  • Where eagles dare is always on TCM lol
  • Enjoying Designated Surviror