Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympics - Athletics

Comments

• edited August 2012
  • Amazing - fancy getting myself one of them ;-)
  • 2-1 for the world record to go in the 200m looks good.
  • Beds did not need long lens on this one.

• Superb photos.
  • women high jumpers... who wouldn't!!
  • Great photos Beds - lifetime memories
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there a prize for the hurdler who knocks down the most hurdles? I thought the aim of hurdling was to jump over the hurdles whilst running as fast as you can? in showjumping you get points deducted for knocking over jumps, in hurdles you can knock as many over as you like as long as you run faster you still win. our fella came 4th without knocking any over. he should have got a medal for that :-)

I understand that knocking some down may hinder them in some way but i still think its silly.
  • I read that Suzi and thought " Don't be daft ". But actually the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Why not introduce time penalties for hurdles knocked over? Or they could simply make it another event?
  • well if they're not going to jump the hurdles, they should just enter the 100m!
  • SA 4 x 4 have been reinstated.
  • Got a sneaky feeling that the World Record could be broken tonight in the 200M
  • Got a sneaky feeling that the World Record could be broken tonight in the 200M

PP was offering 2/1 today.
  • edited August 2012
    I think same as the 100m - olympic record to be broken, but not the world record.
  • Just seen a South African bloke running in the womens 800 metres. ????????
  • Is there a prize for the hurdler who knocks down the most hurdles? I thought the aim of hurdling was to jump over the hurdles whilst running as fast as you can? in showjumping you get points deducted for knocking over jumps, in hurdles you can knock as many over as you like as long as you run faster you still win. our fella came 4th without knocking any over. he should have got a medal for that :-)

I understand that knocking some down may hinder them in some way but i still think its silly.

I've always thought that suzi but never mentioned it in case everyone else shot me down in flames.

Don't remember Colin Jackson knocking many down when he competed....

• edited August 2012
    Exactly Fanny.
    I do appreciate though that this is up there with my question as to why batsmen in Cricket don't get a run each when they erm get runs (they both run so give em something each?) So in my head when I watch cricket, they get 1/2 each at least on their total. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• What a freaking run by Rudisha.
  • American runner Manteo Mitchell has revealed he ran the last 200m of the Olympic men's 4x400m relay heats with a broken left leg.

Mitchell began the race for the United States, who went through to Friday's final as the second fastest team despite Mitchell's injury.

"As soon as I took the first step past the 200m mark, I felt it break." Manteo told the USA Track and Field website.

"I didn't want to let the three guys or the team down, so I just ran on it."

Mitchell still managed to finish the opening lap in 46.1 seconds as the US team, also featuring Joshua Mance, Tony McQuay and Bryshon Nellum, went on to set a qualifying time of two minutes, 58.87 seconds.

"It hurt so bad," the 25-year-old added. "I'm pretty amazed that I still split [close to] 45 seconds on a broken leg."

USA Track and Field chief executive Max Siegel said: "Manteo has become an inspiration and a hero for his team-mates.

"Without his courage and determination to finish, Team USA would not be at the starting line in the final. The team has rallied around him and we are all looking forward the final days of competition."

The US men's team are the defending champions and have won every 4x400m Olympic title that they have contested.
  • well done Rudisha and big well done to Andrew Osagie too!!
  • Peter Norman is my new hero. Always wondered what the Aussie silver medalist in 68 thought when Smith and Carlos made their protest and now I know.

• Peter Norman is my new hero. Always wondered what the Aussie silver medalist in 68 thought when Smith and Carlos made their protest and now I know.

If you get the chance you must see the film Salute. It's Fantastic

http://youtu.be/KAHsYmaodkA
  • edited August 2012
    Looked like some child racing next to Bolt then
  • Cheers Beds, had never heard of the film before. Will check it out on Amazon
  • It's so annoying that Bolt slows down on the line. It prevented the paying public of witnessing an Olympic record tonight.
  • edited August 2012
    PL54 said:

Looked like some child racing next to Bolt then

Good grief, that child got Bronze
  • poor taste there doing the interviews during the national anthem, poor kid got yanked over