Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympics - Athletics

Comments

• Andrew Osagie runs a pb to qualify for 8oom in 2nd place.

COME ON !¬!!!!

I initially misread that as runs a pub...and I'm thinking that's pretty dedicated, he runs a pub, trains for athletics, gets to the final of the 800m...oh he runs a pb not a pub....

Where's the phone number for the opticians...
  • Just got back from tonight's athletics - extremely impressed with the organisation getting in and out of the park . So easy . Women's 100 mtrs hurdles was superb and the highlight of the night was Osagie qualifying for the 800 mtrs final . The crowd really did get him there ( it's a cliche that i dont normaly
    buy into but it's was true tonight ).
    Biggest downer on the night was the high jump . The stadium commentary was really poor and nobody in the stadium realised we had won a bronze until he started running around the track with a union jack even then nothing was said or displayed on the screen . It really put a downer on what was such a fantastic day.
    I will post some pictures later this week .
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7e-wUEJFeE

This is the same Russian who won the High Jump today, not quite at his best.
  • I was at school with Andrew Osagie. Absolutely chuffed for him.
  • Our women's hammer thrower is suprisingly attractive
  • Just listening to 800m women's heat and I'm sure yer Geordie fella said ''Bishop of Canada made a late surge''?
  • I take it Mo Farah got through his 5,000 metres heat ok?
  • Did Attar actually qualify for the 800m at the Games or was she given a place due to the significance of her participation ?
  • he came 3rd. it was faster than he wanted it to be.
  • but he has qualified yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• yh finished 3rd so qualified
  • edited August 2012

but he has qualified yes.

They mentioned him jumping off Richmond bridge again and he gave another lovely interview. Top bloke.

Is it the adrenalin that means these athletes never hesitate ''um'' or ''err'' during interviews?

• but he has qualified yes.

Sorry I was talking about Sarah Attar, the Saudi 800m runner who finished over 40 seconds behind the winner of her heat. Surely she can't have posted a qualifying time to make it into the Olympics ?
  • edited August 2012
    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) extended a special invitation to Attar (and Shaherkani) after it pressed Saudi Arabia to end its ban on female participation.

Some conservative Saudis had criticised their countrywomen's participation in London after Saudi Arabia broke with its practice of sending male-only teams to the world's biggest sports event.

• The IOC didn't complain when East Germany sent male only teams for years, albeit half of them did complete in the womens events,
  • The International Olympic Committee (IOC) extended a special invitation to Attar (and Shaherkani) after it pressed Saudi Arabia to end its ban on female participation.

Some conservative Saudis had criticised their countrywomen's participation in London after Saudi Arabia broke with its practice of sending male-only teams to the world's biggest sports event.

Yep that's what I thought, understandable really. Cheers FM.
  • Yelena Isinbayeva getting a lot of stick for her comments and righty so!

Isinbayeva has told Russian TV that the people of Britain are not interested in the Olympic Games, saying: "If you leave the premises of the Olympic village, you get an impression that nothing is happening.

"Many people do not understand what the Olympic Games are and whether they are held in their city. There is no feeling of jubilation there," she said. "Every Russian will know that the [Winter] Olympic Games are held in Sochi [in 2014]. The show will be sold out," Isinbayeva said.
  • Doesn't she post on here?
  • Lawrence Clarke through to 110 hurdles final ! Good man !!!
  • A few pictures i took last night.

Robbie Grabarz's Bronze winning jump last night.

• Sponsored links:

• Robert Harting Discus Gold Medallist

• edited August 2012
  • Great 4th place in the 110 hurdles final for our Lawrence ! Bring on Rio ! ( not Ferdinand)
  • great pics, thanks for sharing.

well done Lawrence!
  • Super photos Beds, esp the Grabarz one - perfect timing. Did they let you in with a big lens. A friend of mine went to the football the other day but was disappointed to find out that they were't letting big cameras into Wembley.
  • edited August 2012
    Stig said:

Super photos Beds, esp the Grabarz one - perfect timing. Did they let you in with a big lens. A friend of mine went to the football the other day but was disappointed to find out that they were't letting big cameras into Wembley.

Thanks Stig.
    No big lens - just a fantastic zoom on the canon SX40 .( you can see how far back i was by the last photo) I saw plenty of people taking cameras in with long lenses and they didn't seem to be to bothered. In fact the staff couldn't do enough for people coming in , it was a joy to see.