Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympics - Athletics

Comments

• edited August 2012

And this is what our wonderful government has planned for our future sports stars...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/aug/06/school-playing-field-sale-gove?CMP=twt_gu

A poor bronze medal for this government compared to the last. Ten times more sold off.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202881/200-playing-fields-sold-Labour-How-justified-ahead-Olympics-ask-critics.html
  • Great run from Kirani James.

Surprised its not been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure that's the first time a non-american has run under 44 secs for the 400
  • I notice the BBCs 'athletics medal table' hasn't made a reappearance !!
  • I am probably going to regret this but, picture?
  • edited August 2012

And this is what our wonderful government has planned for our future sports stars...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/aug/06/school-playing-field-sale-gove?CMP=twt_gu

A poor bronze medal for this government compared to the last. Ten times more sold off.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202881/200-playing-fields-sold-Labour-How-justified-ahead-Olympics-ask-critics.html
    Which goes to prove the are all politicians arse holes.

• And this is what our wonderful government has planned for our future sports stars...

Which goes to prove the are all politicians arse holes.

Amen to that Beds, though it would seem fair to apportion some kudos to the Blair regime for whatever part they have played in this magnificent Olympic games and what promises to be a superb Paralympics.
  • JT said:

It's Duffy from Please Sir/Fenn Street Gang !
  • JT said:

It's Duffy from Please Sir/Fenn Street Gang !
    Brilliant spot! Hope he did the fake machine gun thing after winning.
  • That's the late and great Jocky Wilson!
  • Sponsored links:

• Why have a 9 lap track and not use the first lane?
  • The first lane deteriorates quicker than the rest because of the long distance races. Idowu is out of the triple jump, clearly not fit he cant take off at all
  • Not a massive fan of Idowu's "I'm my own man I do my own thing" attitude.

He profits greatly, both directly and indirectly, from being part of Team GB and his attitude has been poor. Not surprised he's out first round.
  • VERY disappointed in Idowu .

Can't see Team GB management allowing an athlete to " do his own thing" again in the future.
  • They didn't allow him this time either - he didnt show up to the training camp in Portugal, only showed up to the athletes village yesterday, refused to speak to any of the management (including his coach) and wouldn't be checked up by the team physio, thus meaning no one knew what state he was in.

Injury may explain his poor performance, doesn't explain his poor attitude.
  • if he has taken the place of another GB triple jumper then he should be banned/fined by our top bods.

Or do you only get to enter if you post a olympic qualifying distance at trials?
  • Apparently the only other athlete with the qualifying distance was injured, so he didn't deprive anyone else of a chance.

Disappointed for him, as he tends to get a medal in the big championships.

Goldie Sayers even more unlucky in the javelin - broke the British record three weeks ago and then injured her arm in the last rounds of the same competition and unable to throw properly in the qualifying round this morning as a result.
  • if he has taken the place of another GB triple jumper then he should be banned/fined by our top bods.

Or do you only get to enter if you post a olympic qualifying distance at trials?

The latter.

A contrast with Goldie Sayers in the spear chucking, she injured her arm in the trials, but kept everyone in the loop, worked hard and turned up for the qualifying heats this morning knowing that she shouldn't really be there but couldn't throw far enough to qualify for the main competition tonight where on form she stood a chance. Idowyu seems to have gone AWOL and refused to return calls and then turned up with a sick note claiming that anti-doping people knew where he was so it was ok.

Sayers looked gutted and was in tears at not qualifying, Idowyu is however taking the rest of the season off...

• Idowu just commented about not being in training camp etc

"I am not lottery funded. I have not been lottery funded for at least three years. I pay for my own medical, I pay for my own physio and I will pay for my own surgery," he said.

"There is no association between me and UKAA, if you can find a form that I have signed that says I received money from UKAA then hold me accountable but over the last three years I have been out there and won world titles, world silver medals, Olympic silver medals and I have done that out of my own pocket."
  • Fair enough - but was wrong with a phone call or something similar. The British team were expecting him at the training camp and he maintained a radio silence that was more than a little unprofessional and discourteous. Quite a few athletes were in this position and in the case of Paula Radcliffe she withdrew allowing a replacement to get drafted in. His attitude sucks.
  • Sponsored links:

• As they stated on BBC, it was ridiculous Van Commene (sp) stating no one knew where he was, as he had to advise his location for at least 2 hours each day for random drug testing purposes.
    And who released the news he was injured in the first place...
  • Phillips has been wrongly vilified in my opinion there are 2 sides to the story

But the girl who threw the javelin should not have been there really poor decision on hers and uk athletics
  • Surely in the whole country we had someone who can throw a javelin
  • MrOneLung said:

Idowu just commented about not being in training camp etc

"I am not lottery funded. I have not been lottery funded for at least three years. I pay for my own medical, I pay for my own physio and I will pay for my own surgery," he said.

"There is no association between me and UKAA, if you can find a form that I have signed that says I received money from UKAA then hold me accountable but over the last three years I have been out there and won world titles, world silver medals, Olympic silver medals and I have done that out of my own pocket."

A pocket which is lined with sponsors money based on him representing team GB.

If he feels he isn't associated with the national governing body, why is he representing them at an Olympic Games ?

• Phillips has been wrongly vilified in my opinion there are 2 sides to the story

I know track athletics are generally individual events but he set himself up as an outsider as far as Team GB is concerned. People like mavericks if they are successful, if they're not they just look selfish. I don't think he did himself any favours bigging it up in the torch either. As se9addick said:

"If he feels he isn't associated with the national governing body, why is he representing them at an Olympic Games ?"

I know track athletics are generally individual events but he set himself up as an outsider as far as Team GB is concerned. People like mavericks if they are successful, if they're not they just look selfish. I don't think he did himself any favours bigging it up in the torch either. As se9addick said:

"If he feels he isn't associated with the national governing body, why is he representing them at an Olympic Games ?"
    Idowu has "history" with Commesee or whatever his name is.

The issues are not as straightforward as one might think in that there is "right" and "wrong" on both sides.
  • So what was his excuse for not returning calls to his trainer then?
  • LenGlover said:

Phillips has been wrongly vilified in my opinion there are 2 sides to the story

Idowu has "history" with Commesee or whatever his name is.

The issues are not as straightforward as one might think in that there is "right" and "wrong" on both sides.
    I appreciate that Len, but van Commenee comes out of this a little better than Idowu. If Idowu had turned up and done the business then the way he has carried on would have been vindicated. As it is, he didn't.
  • Andrew Osagie runs a pb to qualify for 8oom in 2nd place.

COME ON !¬!!!!
  • You could see the noise of the crowd really lift him and help him there what a great response from him to the crowd