Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v SA 3rd & final Test Lords

Comments

• Options
    282-7.
  • Options
    SA lead by 300.
  • Options
    306-7....SA lead is 300...stopped for tea now.....may have a cuppa myself.
  • Options
    We won't be able to chase more than 350 so hopefully get them out quickly after tea. Exciting way to end the series - 2/3 batsman need to step up and prove themselves. Strauss to get a ton!
  • Options
    lead is 316 now.
  • Options
    Talking on radio 5 live earlier and they were saying KP may never play for England again.
  • Options
    game over
  • Options
    335-7.
  • Options
    Lead is 330 now.
  • Options
    336-8.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    340-8.
  • Options
    350-9.
  • Options
    351....all out.
  • Options
    346 needed to win.....a very tall order.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    5-1, Cook 3 lbw Philander.
  • Options
    6-2, Strauss 1 lbw Philander.
  • Options
    This is what he's doing to our boys in white: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/philander
  • Options
    Awful 'leave' by Strauss......schoolboy stuff.....we're in the doo doo now...big time.....be lucky to get a draw!
  • Options

Awful 'leave' by Strauss......schoolboy stuff.....we're in the doo doo now...big time.....be lucky to get a draw!

Could be the end of the road for Strauss, he is really struggling against the better bowling attacks.

He is 35 years old now, would it be better to hand over to Cook now so he gets the winter tours under his belt before the Aussies arrive next year?

Might be an idea to push Trott up to open (even though his form is not great) and bring someone like Compton into the middle-order.

Bottom line is that we need to bring our next generation of batsmen through now, so Bairstow, Taylor and Compton should all be touring this winter.
  • Options
    agree that Strauss doesn't have long left, and there isn't really another opener around. Trott is an option and so is Bell, as him and Cook are opening in one dayers they could get a partnership going in tests aswell. I much prefer a left hand right hand combination. Think it works well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

agree that Strauss doesn't have long left, and there isn't really another opener around. Trott is an option and so is Bell, as him and Cook are opening in one dayers they could get a partnership going in tests aswell. I much prefer a left hand right hand combination. Think it works well

True, but don't see Bell opening in Tests.

The problem is that that now with KP gone - probably for good - that England have a real dilemma with Strauss.

If Strauss stays on as player/captain then he has to then stay for the 2013 home Ashes series and then also the following Ashes tour of Australia.

This is because it would be very unfair on Cook to dump him into the job right before an Ashes series, home or away, so they need to make the call on Strauss now.

Ironically, the loss of KP might make Strauss decide to hang around because he will feel that it would be too much for two top-class batsmen to leave the side at the same time.

In this game England only have themselves to blame, they had the Saffers 100-5 and let them score 306, should have shot them out for less than 200 and failed to do it because Finn and Broad bowled poorly in the first innings.

Finn took wickets, but two were very streaky, and actually bowled much, much better in the second dig.
  • Options
    I agree about letting two players leave, if Bairstow can step up then that would be a big boost. I also completely agree that its now or not for a few years in terms of the captaincy. Cook needs some experience before the Ashes, although he does captain the one day team and is very experienced so it wouldn't be the end of the world. I hope players like Taylor and Bairstow get given time cos I think they are both top notch
  • Options
    Broad just doesn't look dangerous to me anymore, I wouldn't even mind facing him.
  • Options

Broad just doesn't look dangerous to me anymore, I wouldn't even mind facing him.

Don't know what's going on with Broad, the bloke is bowling 79mph floaters rather than the 88mph+ nasty stuff that we know he can bowl.

Personally, would like to see Chris Tremlett come back into the side, he is a top-class bowler and all the Aussies out here couldn't believe he had not been in our side for years when he came in for the 3rd Ashes Test in Perth in 2011 and just blew them away.

My preferred side would be; Strauss, Cook, Trott, Bell, Bairstow, Prior, Broad, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson, Finn.

I think we need five bowlers against the better sides and Prior can easily bat as a number six, in India this winter you'd need five bowlers and would probably have Monty in for Tremlett.
  • Options
    Yer I think Tremlett and Onions are both good bowlers. That team looks good but maybe a little weak in the middle/late order. Broad is too inconsistent to be a number 7. If he was a Philander I would be happy to have him at 7. But suppose that bowling attack would chop some runs off the chasing total.
  • Options

Yer I think Tremlett and Onions are both good bowlers. That team looks good but maybe a little weak in the middle/late order. Broad is too inconsistent to be a number 7. If he was a Philander I would be happy to have him at 7. But suppose that bowling attack would chop some runs off the chasing total.

I know what you mean but when you look at the Saffers batting this summer, we have never really looked like running through them, have we? Their extra fast bowler (Kallis) has been critical for them as they have always had a fresh quick bowler to keep us under pressure.

Broad needs to be re-invented as an all-rounder - anyone who scores 160 in a Test Match can obviously bat a bit - in the Flintoff mould, although not quite as good with the bat.

In addition, you can certainly argue that our bowling is our strength right now with top-class bowlers like Tremlett, Onions and Bresnan not even in the side, so we should maximise our bowling given the fact that our batting stocks are not as strong.
  • Options
    Onions got 9 wickets out for only 67 runs in one innings the other day. He must be close to getting into the side now.
  • Options
    yer true, I see the point about Kallis but he is a class batsman and I don't actually think he has been that threatening with the ball. Their three quicks have all been dangerous though which England haven't had, none of the bowlers have really had great test series, just flashes of brilliance. I think it's worth a shot, Trott certainly isn't a 5th bowler.
  • Options

Onions got 9 wickets out for only 67 runs in one innings the other day. He must be close to getting into the side now.

Bit bloody late now!
  • Options
    I think the management do not want to weaken the batting and Finn, Tremlett, Onions and Anderson are all useless batsman really. Anderson won't get dropped and Finn was chosen over Onions for the third test, which I was happy about. I can't see them dropping Broad for Tremlett/Onions. If Broad was out, they would pick Bresnan because of his batting. They should probably take the risk and play 5 batsman.