Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v SA 3rd & final Test Lords

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    A couple of average contributions from a few more of our top order would have been nice !
  • Options
    Taylor made a decent score in second test yer and I am a big fan, but he didn't do well here.
  • Options
    only 3 things wrong with the side .. can't bowl, bat or catch .. to coin a phrase
  • Options

What a great afternoon. We never had a prayer tbh & a great effort to get that close.

If Pietersen had behaved who knows ?

Taylor scored 10 & 4. Average 7. We lost by 51 runs.

Bairstow replaced KP. Taylor would have played regardless.

Lost this match in the field. Dropping Amala and AB cost us about 80-100 runs.
  • Options
    Lost this match in the field. Dropping Amala and AB cost us about 80-100 runs.

Amla scored a further 119 runs and de Villiers another 27 odd runs, so nearly 150 extra runs.

SA deserved the win - they held more of the catches, bowled as a unit and someone scored runs when they needed them. Besides that they won more of the pressure points - they got wickets when they needed them and stopped England from building too many big partnerships.
  • Options
    they had the better players when it really mattered. Amla was outstanding, and players like Philander batted well late on. Philander bowled superbly. He was the most surprising player for me, didnt realise he was that good.
  • Options
    Outplayed and outfought. This is good for English cricket though as it will put real pressure on our top/middle order and the bowlers who far too often go too many sessions without individually stepping up to the mark.

All the best teams lose their no.1 status at some point, they then re-focus, make some vital team changes and come back stronger.

• Options
    What I reckon is wrong starts with the batting order,some are set in stone with the No6 position the only one that seems up for grabs.I know its very difficult to balance the previous rotating door selection policy and the no pressure we will just wait for you hopefully to find a bit of form.Also how much better did SA look with five bowlers?
    I am all for long term planning but it seems to be Cook nailed on as next Test Skipper with Broad coming on from the T20 to the One Day Skipper.Something I dont understand is why when Broad has looked a bit off colour he hasnt been rested when there is quality bowlers growing on trees at the moment? Is this because of the six batsmen policy they are desperate for runs from a bowler? Bresnan in my opinion was unlucky to be dropped,I would have gone with him instead of Broad and picked Finn.The point being when Broad seems only able at the moment to bowl at 70s odd mph there must be something wrong and its not like there is any shortage of quality to replace him until he he gets sorted.Not much really wrong, that dick KP hasnt helped and a couple of held catches it could have been so different.I think England will be back stronger and hungry for their no 1 status back.
  • Options
    One of the big problems England face is Strauss - he is past his best as a batsman and wouldn't be in the side if he wasn't Captain. But he is a great captain who has been integral to the side's success. Even so, Cook will take over before long and Bell will hopefully open with him.
  • Options

One of the big problems England face is Strauss - he is past his best as a batsman and wouldn't be in the side if he wasn't Captain. But he is a great captain who has been integral to the side's success. Even so, Cook will take over before long and Bell will hopefully open with him.

I agree, would like to see Cook and Bell open, Trott at three, but then who at 4,5,6. Taylor, Bairstow and Morgan maybe. Bopara probably used all his lives, many have suggested Compton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you have to bring Pietersen back personally. He still has a few years in him and if he has apologised that should be good enough. I like Bopara and don't think he should be too far away from the team.
  • Options
    I don't think you can bring him back though. Don't think many would forgive him and the dressing room would still be in a mess.
  • Options
    It's not really up to what we the general public/media think re this one.
    If the general feeling in the dressing room and England set up is that he's not welcome then that's most likely how it will remain, at least for the immediate future.....and quite possibly permanently.
  • Options
    A player who I would bring in now would be Alex Hales - bat him at #6 and give him some experience of Test cricket. By trade he's an opener so when Strauss finally shuffles off he can be promoted to open. Otherwise in a season or two England are going to have the dilemma of not only replacing a captain but also an opening bat. Alternatively Joe Root of Yorkshire could fill this role.
  • Options

I think you have to bring Pietersen back personally. He still has a few years in him and if he has apologised that should be good enough. I like Bopara and don't think he should be too far away from the team.

Who knows - the latest suggestion is that KP referred to Strauss with an Afrikaans expression that is less than complimentary. He's been left out of the ODI squad for the SA series and the T20 WC team but it may be that he's going to be considered for the Test squad this winter, that I presume will depend on how Strauss takes the apology and whether the rest of the team accept him back.

• Options
    The KP one is very, very tricky.

On one hand you do have to have team unity, but on the other the ECB has a wider responsibity to put the best possible team on the park and that, quite obviously, includes KP.

Without KP - especially with Strauss out of form - we look very vulnerable against good bowling, he is our most explosive batsman and actually intimidates the bowlers.

If he had played at Lords we might even have sneaked home, he has a great record there.

Moreover, is it really fair on a player like James Taylor to have him in the side when he is palpably not in the same class as KP? Puts the poor lad under huge pressure and can't be good for his development.

Ultimately, we have to bang heads together and get KP back into the side, we have a tough winter ahead and then back-to-back Ashes series against the Aussies.

The funniest thing is that Strauss and Pietersen might easily trade places in the team, with Strauss dropping out and KP coming back in.
  • Options
    What about Hildreth .. surely a better bet than Taylor the cyclist.