Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Leicester 2-1 (2012) Post-Match Views & Opinion

Comments

• Options
    Fine win. Saw the clear difference at this level tonight leics looked a very good side, but we beat them with 2 well taken goals, and a good battling team effort and some moments of class. Leics did not take their chances but showed they should be up near the top of this league if they do.
    But enough of them, great great result for us. We held on, this team still knows how to win games and we took the points. We also got a good taste of what we might face this season.
    Going home happy:-)
  • Options
    Yann at FT tonight

• Options
    I don't think I've felt this emotionally drained after a game in such a while. How good we're we in the first half ? And I a complete pessimist for thinking "they're going to score" throughout the second ? 23rd ranked team in England tonight, it's been a long wait, are we on our way back ?
  • Options

Cracking result, great start. Shows me the importance of keeping the defence intact. Chris Solly must not be allowed to go anywhere. 4 points absolutely top end of my expectation.

Those of us who rely on Player are going to have to get something done about the commentary though. I hate to have a go at Peter Finch, since he's a willing and hardworking amateur. But there should be a pro alongside him, and the BBC has plenty of them.And we pay good money for this.

When Pete Finch is not there the main commentator does do ok, However when Peter Finch is there they waffle on and on endlessly not giving us a clue what is happening on the pitch.

• Options
    As i'm in Akbuk in Turkey where player does not work, all I have is you Red and if you are not there on Saturday then my 5 minute page refreshes after wifi cutting out every 10 minutes just will not be the same. Great win tonight though. Onwards and upwards COYR
  • Options
    Loved that. Sat in the RoD with my post match celebratory drink. 100% chuffed.
  • Options
    Bodies put on the line tonight to dig out that win. Morro was awesome. We won't play many teams as slick as Leicester this season and I confidently predict they will be there right there at the end. Maybe I'm being unfair because Leicester were quality but Hollands looks far too ponderous in our midfield. Great result and roll on Saturday.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Cracking result, great start. Shows me the importance of keeping the defence intact. Chris Solly must not be allowed to go anywhere. 4 points absolutely top end of my expectation.

Those of us who rely on Player are going to have to get something done about the commentary though. I hate to have a go at Peter Finch, since he's a willing and hardworking amateur. But there should be a pro alongside him, and the BBC has plenty of them.And we pay good money for this.

When Pete Finch is not there the main commentator does do ok, However when Peter Finch is there they waffle on and on endlessly not giving us a clue what is happening on the pitch.

You really notice the difference when Bradley Allen is the summariser
  • Options
    Great picture
  • Options
    Cracking game, Leicester are a decent side with a lot of pace and King made the difference when he came on.

We were superb, maybe rode our luck slightly at times but we never gave up, back 5 were quality midfield worked their socks off, great to see Yann score but my MOM was BWP, he absolutely ran his b*ll*cks off tonight and some of his play and first touches were class.

Great start to the season against 2 teams who will be there or there abouts.

Roll on saturday....oh and an excellent signing introduced at HT just to cap the night!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Biggest cheer during the game was when Solly ran it up the right hand side to alleviate the pressure, and played it off the legs for a throw, tells you all you need to know. Glorious win, a real advert for championship football, felt like a cup final.
  • Options
    Need to get home and change these underpants. I shat myself big time. That 1 on 1. That header. Leicester looked quality imo. They have class all over the pitch but we have a spirit that will win us games like that throughout the season.

They were bloody class. Everyone of them. Special mention to bwp. He ran his ballacks off all night. Buzzing.
  • Options
    Forgot to say that BWP was outstanding.
  • Options
    My word!!!! 1st half was 1 of the best 45 minute displays I can remember seeing from a Charlton team in a very long time. Outstanding!! 2nd half they were always going to come at us hard. Although we defended very well I did think they would get an equaliser. Many more games like that this season and I may have a heart attack!! As nerve wracking as it was, MY GOD IT'S GOOD TO HAVE FOOTBALL BACK!!
  • Options

Forgot to say that BWP was outstanding.

I forgot to mention that too. BWP definitely man of the match today. Ran his socks off!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I don't think we'll come across too many better teams than Leicester this season....we did a very useful number on them.
    I was nervous at half time because we didn't want the half time whistle....we were more or less cruising and well in control whereas they desperately needed half time to draw breath and regroup.
    Was worried we wouldn't play at the same tempo in the second half and in fact we didn't but thankfully neither did they....knew they'd get one somewhere along the line and sure enough they did but we kept our shape and game plan and it was good enough to hold on....a couple of seasons back we'd have drawn that game or even lost it.
    Happy days at The Valley!
  • Options
    Been looking at the table, more than happy with that : ) !

As for Palace - hahahahahahahaha!
  • Options

Got to be pleased with four points from six, sounds positive, showed some kahunas to hold on and defend the win. Massive confidence booster for the team and good to see BWP off the mark. Nice one!

It's cajones.
  • Options
    sorry mate thats just bollox
  • Options

Been looking at the table, more than happy with that : ) !

As for Palace - hahahahahahahaha!

You wicked vindictive bastard!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    That second half was torture

Motm Bwp absolutely outstanding
  • Options
    Great game, lots of pace, very impressed with Leicester. Terrific resolve from us stand out players being Hamer, Morro, Yann and BWP. Pace of game and division may be too much for JJ and Stephens on that performance.

We have our Charlton back for sure. Crowd brilliant noise SCP red and white army went on for ages! Powell clapping the away fans and getting same response showed how lucky we are to have him - a true legend
  • Options
    Bwp and hamer looked like new players , bwp worked hard and hamer looked solid ! Unbelievable result, the amount of money spent on their squad reflects their team, IMO they are probably as good as a premier league team, buzzzzzzing !!! Well played lads!
  • Options
    The step up in class from Div 1 was obvious they loked classy at time and the pace of the game was amazing. We matched them almost everywhere but some partically Jackson looked out on their feet near the end. Thought Yann would have done a Adebayor and it seemed to take the whole team to stop him. Loved that. Again special mention to Hamer as his positioning like Saturday was so good it made his saves look easy.
  • Options
    First half we were in total control. Didn't look in any sort of bother at all.

King made a huge difference for Leicester and they looked a totally different side in the second half. Aided slightly by our instance on dropping off and defending 10 yards deeper.

Back five all played a part with Morrow looking particularly good. Thought Pritchard was our best midfielder, was absolutely everywhere and looked fresh and lively at the end.

BWP MOM for me. His work rate was unbelievable.

Only slight disappointment for me was Jackson's second half performance. Thought he got caught in possession a couple of times and on another day Lloyd Dyer would have scored when Jackson gifted him the ball.

Pleased to see Fuller on the pitch at HT. Important signing. If he can stay fit he will cause allsorts of problems at this level.
  • Options
    What a great night.

For a run of the mill league game (ie not crucial or derby impacting), I really don't think it gets much better than that.

The Valley has become a real chore for midweek games in the last few years, but the buzz has returned and it really come alive tonight.

I LOVE this current eleven. It will change and evolve over time, but I feel alligned to every man currently doing it for us at the moment. They are playing at their maximum at the moment and it is brilliant to watch.

Very impressed with Leicester, which makes the three points even more special. Great movement and interplay going forward which really had us on our guard, but at the back they really couldn't handle BWP and Yann. Bradley looked sharper tonight than I've ever seen him.

Good times. Enjoy it.
  • Options
    Knackered just from watching the game.

Cracking result and make no mistake Leicester are a very good team who will win a lot of games this year.

Their pace and passing was very good but first half we dealt with and created the better chances. We deservedly went in 2 - 0 from a very good BWP finish although Schmichael was out of position. Kermo seemed rather pleased with his goal for some reason but it was no more than our pressure warranted.

2nd half Pearson realised the long ball to exploit the pace of Vardy and Beckford wasn't actually getting them anywhere, changed the team and King started to run the show. We got a battering but we stood up to it. It took some fantastic and sometime desperate defending but Hamer did what he had to with out having too many crucial saves to make.

Morrison and Cort were always there. Wiggins was caught out for the goal when he let the ball go over his head but was otherwise good. Solly was Sollyesque.

We needed some extra legs as Stephens and Jackson were getting overrun. Thats when Fuller could have done a job but Cook was good and Kerker smart.

Pritchard and the non-stop BWP could have been MOTM but I'll give it to Morrison.

Great noise and great response from the team. Dug in and took the three points.

Third in the league and looking strong. And we still have Fuller and Haynes to come.
  • Options
    Great game. Leicester were a good side but very slow at the back. Vardy looked good every ball stuck to him.

BWp had a blinder he worked so hard.
    Jackson is too slow for this level needs to be moved inside. He was a liability at times.

Great atmo also
  • Options
    cs1986 said:

Jackson is too slow for this level needs to be moved inside. He was a liability at times.

Totally agree. I love the guy but he was leaving holes in our team that a bleedin' bus could drive through.

• Options
    I've just followed the match thread without knowing the result. I'm shaking now. That was intense. A great win. :-))))))))