Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Leicester 2-1 (2012) Post-Match Views & Opinion

Comments

• Options

Superb result and team effort , they put their bodies on the line and left every ounce of energy on the pitch
    I'm loving Hamer coming to claim /punch etc near the end to tidy up their aerial threats
    Bwp and Yann quality but for me the crowd were the Men Ladies of the Match , don't think we've had a League match atmosphere like that for donkeys years , the place was buzzing and it was how I dream of it being all the time ... Brilliant brilliant
    I'd have bitten your hand off for 2 points from these two fixtures so 4 is a miracle and as said above its a team of 11 playing to their maximum only worry is the depth in squad imo isn't there but will cross that bridge if we have to
    Hope the substitutes satisfied all, well the result was brilliant !
    Was there really 3 and 4 mins worth of injury time in that match? And I presume Morro had a cut for him to be ooofed off the pitch for that scary last corner..
    4% top 6 ..... 41% 7th-12th .....51% 13th-21st and 4% relegation

Was it you see above ha ha
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    My highlights

- Pritchard pass for BWP goal then making the short run which took attention from keeper
    - Yann the Mans goal
    - Wiggo mugging Beckford who nearly ended up in our dugout
    - Hamer getting the catching or punching decisions right
    - Solly running half the pitch in the last minute and playing it of Konchs legs
    - Pritchard covering more of the pitch than Paddy Powell
    - Morrison playing it out of defence
    - Cort winning every header he went for
    - BWP running all night (is he still going
    - the crowd well done every one of us we can get fortress valley back
    Finally for those not there I cannot over emphasise what a great game it was and what a great team we have you should all be so proud of Chris and the boys!
    COYRs
  • Options

If ooh aah is the person I think he is (he was pointed out some years ago) he certainly enjoyed it jumping up and down to chrissy powells red n white army like he had just won Olympic gold in his team GB Top.

Yep that was me lol
    I got a sore throat now
  • Options
    I disliked BWP for a lot of last season, even when he was scoring he was quite often not putting a proper shift in, right man right time a lot of the time in my opinion.

Tonight, had he have not scored he still would have been my man of the match. An absolute hunger to win the ball, and proves what he can play like every week if he puts his mind to it.

When Yann scored I lost it, I screamed so loud I have officially lost my voice. To me him scoring was going to be the pinnacle of my season (especially because my dad is a Leicester fan and was sitting next to me so it's my biggest game of the season)

Because of my family ties I follow Leicester strongly and I can assure you if we can beat them, we can beat the best of them. Leicester is the best Championship team on paper last season.

I heard people shouting and moaning that Hamer wasn't distributing the ball quick enough or that we weren't pressing enough. To them I say, when you are sitting in your seat and aren't covering 12km in a game, you can whine all you want, try being that knackered against fitter opposition, slowing down the play is vital.... We did it right, and we got 3 points.

Absolutely buzzing tonight.
  • Options
    Just a side note. I think the fact that, as it stands, only 1 team has won their opening 2 championship games shows what a tough, even league this is going to be!!
  • Options
    Doesn't anyone think that Stevens was caught ball watching for their goal?

BWP MOM all day.

Captain on the wing? I think the whole stadium knew where that FK was going.
    I would rather see him further infield.
  • Options
    Leicester made the mistake of playing 4-4-2 against us - First half we looked quality going forwards - our delivery from corners is something to savour and defensively we were sound where as Leicester's cbs looked a bit slow movement wise. 2nd half they rectified the formation and because we were leading and always back ourselves defensively we let them come onto us a bit. The could have got a draw but the lads held out which shows their character.

As for Leicester, the don't have our qulaity in the final third and defence looks powerful but suspect against pace. They are a physically strong, direct competeive team though and I think they are well equiped to put the lesser sides to bed and will be up there in the end so makes the result all the better for us.
  • Options
    Sounds like I missed a good one.

I'll take it though for 3 points.
  • Options
    First half waste happiest I've been with Ourperformance for a long time. Really could have gone in three up. However, knew that Leicester wold come out all guns blazing second half. I actually enjoyed watching them play. There close and short passing was excellent and seeing the touch of their players close up was good to watch. But...we have commitment, attitude and team spirit in abundance...and it showed. To a man all players were outstanding in their endeavour and work rate.
    My man of the match as Morrison. Added two bits of great skill to his usual steel.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

My highlights

- Pritchard pass for BWP goal then making the short run which took attention from keeper
    - Yann the Mans goal
    - Wiggo mugging Beckford who nearly ended up in our dugout
    - Hamer getting the catching or punching decisions right
    - Solly running half the pitch in the last minute and playing it of Konchs legs
    - Pritchard covering more of the pitch than Paddy Powell
    - Morrison playing it out of defence
    - Cort winning every header he went for
    - BWP running all night (is he still going
    - the crowd well done every one of us we can get fortress valley back
    Finally for those not there I cannot over emphasise what a great game it was and what a great team we have you should all be so proud of Chris and the boys!
    COYRs

Morrisons drag back in the firts half was just stunning. You just do not expect it. What a game he had!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cracking game, pace of it was electric and we faded in second half when Leicester threw the kitchen sink at us. If every game is played like that there will be no one fit to play come christmas!!
  • Options
    Very proud of the team tonight, really important result especially the way we hung in there. A 2nd last minute goal to deny a win would've hurt us alot.

On the game it was a good one to watch, Leicester have alot of pace in there side and will be up there come the end of the season, they had a couple of really good chances you would've expected them to score from. We ran out of ideas and sat back for most of the 2nd half but that was to be expected. Personally don't think we'll come up against teams with that amount of pace for the rest of the season, which is good news.

BWP and Morro were brilliant, Yann got better as the game went on, only negatives for me were JJ tiring easily and being a passenger for the last 20 and the subs we brought on showed the lack of depth in the squad although Cook looks useful. Maybe a few loanees will come in in the next few weeks to fill some gaps (or Mr Cash re-finds his love for us)

Overall I think most games we'll face this season will be tight and nervy, if we can keep the team spirit and us as fans get behind them we can go along way. Atmosphere was the best in ages hope it continues, and 4 points from two of the better teams in the division is a brilliant start. Proud of the team tonight they put in a shift and got the job done.
  • Options
    Great game, atmosphere and result. Yann and Morro showed Leicester how wrong they were to let them go, both outstanding along with BWP and Hamer. Only negative was the weakness of the subs, early days but we need more depth in the squad to get us through a championship season. Based on subs tonight there isn't as much competition for places in the starting line-up as we need. Also last year we got lucky with very few injuries. If we lose key players such as Yann, Hollands, Morro or Wiggins this year we may struggle.
    But a great night all the same.
  • Options
    Cracking game I too have a football headache.

Sat next to a Leicester fan who didnt enjoy me saying 'that's why we signed him' on every header and flick on he won then screaming in said fans face when Yann scored.
  • Options
    I have no doubt we will be up there if the boys give the same effort every game as they have the first two. This team is definitely used to winning and it shows. It does feel like We've got a lot of our Charlton back and Chrissy is doing wonders getting the team up for each game. I think one more signing in the middle (a loan from a prem club maybe) to give us a bit more cover and we will have no problem consolidating in this league. VERY VERY HAPPY ADDICKS SUPPORTER.

ROLL ON HULL.
    COYR!!!
  • Options
    was an excellent performance although we rode our luck at times in the second half! Only our second game at this level and the players will learn a bit more every game so hopefully not all games will be that nervy!
  • Options
    IM SO HAPPY I LOVE HADDOCK AND CHIPS I TELL THEE!!!

(big winky smiley face).
  • Options

Leicester made the mistake of playing 4-4-2 against us - First half we looked quality going forwards - our delivery from corners is something to savour and defensively we were sound where as Leicester's cbs looked a bit slow movement wise. 2nd half they rectified the formation and because we were leading and always back ourselves defensively we let them come onto us a bit. The could have got a draw but the lads held out which shows their character.

As for Leicester, the don't have our qulaity in the final third and defence looks powerful but suspect against pace. They are a physically strong, direct competeive team though and I think they are well equiped to put the lesser sides to bed and will be up there in the end so makes the result all the better for us.

Strongly disagree about this last paragraph, Leicester have a squad full of quality, their passing and movement in the second half was excellent. Thankfully for our defence, I don't think most other teams are to that standard
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Phew! tough match , the pace seems a lot faster than League 1 , (Jackson seemed to struggle with it) almost like a Premiership game , technical ability also a lot better , we are going to have to be 'at it' each game as i don't think there will be many easy games in this division.

Thought we were superb in the first half, Leicester through everything at us , was Beckford injured? can you imagine taking BWP off at half time!

4 points from 2 games very very happy with that , hope we can give a performance and result against Hull on Saturday , not sure about Kerkar , kept giving the ball away , and looked a bit lightweight, needs to bulk up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One slightly down moment was the free kick on the left - perfect for Yann but JJ took over and wasted it. I was hoping to see Yann bag the freekick in front of their fans... But that was not so...
  • Options
    I think Hollands deserves a mention, he showed that even at this level he is class.

Stephens still concerns me slightly though, I cant help feeling we will be punished by one of his mistakes soon.

Apart from that, however, nothing to complain about IMO. Leicester are a very good side and we beat them :D

It's good to be a Charlton fan at the moment.
  • Options
    Great evening, one which we'll not forget easily. A real sense that WE'RE BACK...and that we can compete at this level. 4 points is an excellent return from two very tough fixtures.

Plenty of positives, Morrison's performance the pick for me. And it's great this is last year's team. I sense this can have a hugely positive impact on team spirit - SCP brought players in on the promise that they could progress, and he is giving them all a chance (well, not Clarke) rather than parachuting others in.

Yes, we rode our luck and there are some concerns...but let's worry about that another day
  • Options
    They all deserve a mention - and I rated BWP 9.5 and am now thinking I was a bit harsh on him.
  • Options
    BWP def MoM, the best game I've seen him play for us, but also a big shout for the other Bradley, he covered so much ground tonight and I reckon he will get better & better.
    2 years ago playing at Hayes and now mixing it with the best of the championship and coming out on top.
    No superstars just a real team that's plays for each other.
    Also like to mention the covered end (as I was exiled to west upper tonight) You were superb!

I'm a proud Addick tonight!
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Cracking result, great start. Shows me the importance of keeping the defence intact. Chris Solly must not be allowed to go anywhere. 4 points absolutely top end of my expectation.

Those of us who rely on Player are going to have to get something done about the commentary though. I hate to have a go at Peter Finch, since he's a willing and hardworking amateur. But there should be a pro alongside him, and the BBC has plenty of them.And we pay good money for this.

Not to mention that its about as stable as a Jenga tower in a earthquake, Saturday it kept cutting out (as usual) and tonight I couldn't get on at all. Always seems to be working when I switch to the oppositions commentary feed (except tonight when none of it worked). I can't remember the last time I logged in and it just worked for 90 minutes without me having to refresh or log out and back in etc.

Anyway, don't want to be neagtive tonight... great result, great start to the season and a great feeling to have a team we can rely on in what I consider our natural level. The Championship is a really good division imo and it's brilliant to be back in it and competeing and not getting humped on a weekly basis like last time we were in it.
  • Options
    Pritchard is a fantastic discovery - You could tell from the Reading game last season, there is something about him. i agree- he is going to go from strength to strength and will ultimately be a central midfielder and a Premiership player.
  • Options
    Did want to mention the ref
    WTF was that all about at the end in making MM come off when defending a corner?
    Was he bleeding or something?
  • Options
    Have to admit after watching the Olympics I was wasn't ready for the football season, but after tonight and Saturday I remember why I love football and Charlton so much
  • Options
    Morrison made his 50th Addicks start today. 50th! After one season and two games. That's a testament to how important playing a consistent team has been for us and it's a testament to how brillaint Morro's been. Top player