Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Leicester 2-1 (2012) Post-Match Views & Opinion

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Spankie said:

I drew two conclusions from last night.

A. We will be able to compete in this division
    B. Each and every match will be very hard work.

Quality first half confining Leicester to one snap shot wide. Slowly grew into the game and BWP's goal just came at the right time giving us a boost and putting them on the back foot. So happy for Yann to score, it obviously meant a lot to him and got the monkey off his back. Second half we didn't turn up and Leicester rightfully came back into it but for all their possession and pressure we held firm and stood tall. We were expert in taking the lead and expert in keeping that lead. Bodies on the line, last ditch tackles, straining every muscle to ensure you win the header. We got promotion back in 98 with a team anyone outside the Prem would've struggled to recognise but they worked tirelessly for the shirt and the manager. Same here, not a team of superstars or egos but an honest bunch of footballers giving 100% for the manager. SCP has clearly embarked on a journey and he's taking us all with him! Superb night, great game to which Leicester definitely contributed and they will be in the mix up for promotion come the Spring.

Agree with this 100%, but also acknowledge the less favourable views expressed in other posts.

My one disappointment was the size of the crowd. Even taking into account holidays and people needing to get away early from work it just wasn't good enough. SCP and the team deserve to be playing in front of 19,000-20,000 every home game in this league.

Proud, happy, knackered (long drive home) and excited about Hull on Saturday. Come on you Addicks!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Great first half, got over run in the middle of the park for a while in the second. JJ still not fit, his errors nearly cost us just beofre he came off.

I think it was a first for us to win with the pitch mowed in circles, Leeds 1-6, B'ham 1-3.

It's a sign, I tell you it's a sign. Belinda Carlisle sung about circles in the sand grass. We all know Carlisle and promotion.
  • Options
    I think it is wrong to assume that Leicester will be typical opponents - they are the bookie's favourites for a reason. Birmingham who were thought to be one of the better sides may be a better marker of where we are - which I believe is very close to the top.

It is also fair to say that we more than matched them when we needed to and the fact that we had a lead to defend influenced the way we played in the second half. They were a decent side- with good strength, energy and some skillfull players although they did not look as clinical as us in the final third and I think our defence is much better.
  • Options
    Think Leicester split us open on several occasions and a combination of profligacy and determined defending stopped them scoring. They play with great pace and have quality all over. They will be there or there abouts come may. Compared to them we looked at times ponderous but we worked hard and tirelessly to earn our victory. I don't care what anybody says our centre midfield needs sprucing up as I cannot see anything of acceptable quality off the bench if we should get injuries. For me it's now the one piece of the jigsaw that is missing.
  • Options
    1 - Great game of entertainment.
    2 - I think yesterday showed the importance of having a good depth to your squad. Imagine how many consecutive games the first 11 could play at that level of intensity.
    3 - Danny Hollands is an excellent central midfielder.
  • Options
    It was my birthday, and what a treat it was!

Pulsating game that had everybody entertained and must have been great for the neutral. Every player played their part and was excellent in almost everything they done. BWP was easily the stand out player and Yann scored the winner against his former club.

Just to top it off, I predicted a 2-1 win with BWP and Yann to score, it happened. Just like I predicted that Cort would score at Birmingham. I'm getting quite good at this!

I also had a bet on for Yann to score and Charlton to win, get in!
  • Options
    Some random observations:-

1st half when they played it back and accross, we immediately pushed out which helped the midfield stay tight. Long may it continue although we sat back under 2nd half onslaught.

I don't think JJ is a candidate central where his lack of pace will be exposed more - remember a previous captain who always got there as the ball was heading elsewhere, and midmielders in possession strolled past him.

BWP, Morro, Hamer and Pritch immense but we need to perform for 90 minutes. I'd like to see how the newbies stand up to a mid-table side with this quality around them. Can't believe we only had two shots off-target.
  • Options

Look what I found (goal is about 45 secs in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrAYRZQ80fI&feature=g-u-u

i need to learn the rest of the dream of kermorgants song!
  • Options

Couldn't be there last night as I'm still on holiday in Spain. Was following the match via the Sky Sports App and got a few funny looks in the restaurant we were eating in when I shouted out 'get in' as we went 2 up. Only thing to disappoint me was the crowd. Thought that it would've been higher. Bring on Hull. COYR

Crowd was smaller as all you rich sods on your hols.

If it had been a sat game not in the hols it would have been packed. Fox's bought at least 2000. Shocked into silence for most of the match. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Is it me, or is the intensity of the football in the Championship risen in the past 3 or 4 years since we've been out of it? Also the build and height of players seems to have gone the way of the Premier League, with everyone over 6 foot and fast.

we were saying the same thing, their No 5 was an absolute beast!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But he wasn't that good a footballer- I don't think we should assume Leicester will be representative of the division.
  • Options
    There number 5 was a beast but an absolute donkey aswell
  • Options

Wes Morgan? Former Forest player. Clattered into Wiggins (I think) towards the end of the game, Definite free kick in everyones eyes...............all except the ref. Shocking decision
  • Options
    The ref ruined what was a decent game for him in those last few minutes - I think he got a bit carried away in the atmosphere of a cracking game rather than was biased, but he missed some blatent fouls- one of which could have cost us a goal!
  • Options
    and he played about 10 minutes injury time or atleast it felt like that!
  • Options

Wes Morgan? Former Forest player. Clattered into Wiggins (I think) towards the end of the game, Definite free kick in everyones eyes...............all except the ref. Shocking decision
    was already booked too. he was grabbing bwp and kermo all game
  • Options
    It was either their LB or a CB (big black guy) who kept smashing into BWP. No card given, hardly any fouls given. Did my head in.
  • Options
    BWP is a quality player, Kermorgant played well tonight winning nearly every header. Your defense was solid held on at the end when we were the better team. Also quite good support from your end. Well done
  • Options
    LCFC_FOX said:

BWP is a quality player, Kermorgant played well tonight winning nearly every header. Your defense was solid held on at the end when we were the better team. Also quite good support from your end. Well done

Out of interest, what do you make of Beckford? Your lot seemed a whole lot better once he got yanked off and therefore the forty yard shots into the top of the stands stopped?
  • Options
    Out of interest, what do you make of Beckford? Your lot seemed a whole lot better once he got yanked off and therefore the forty yard shots into the top of the stands stopped?
    I like Beckford. Some games hes a real talent and will score and take people on for the fun of it. But some games he can't pass a ball and his shots go miles over. For me I think hes better when he comes on for the last 20minutes when running at tired defenders. If he don't do something good early on in the game he will play bad. If he does the crowd will be chanting his name and he will have a quality game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Lucky boy to have been yanked off!

Thought he was poor yesterday, nothing like the threat as a player he was when he was with Leeds (accepting that it was a division lower). He had an early chance on goal and blasted well wide, had he shown half the form in front of goal he is suppossed to be able to display it might have been a different story for us.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Couldn't be there last night as I'm still on holiday in Spain. Was following the match via the Sky Sports App and got a few funny looks in the restaurant we were eating in when I shouted out 'get in' as we went 2 up. Only thing to disappoint me was the crowd. Thought that it would've been higher. Bring on Hull. COYR

Crowd was smaller as all you rich sods on your hols.

If it had been a sat game not in the hols it would have been packed. Fox's bought at least 2000. Shocked into silence for most of the match. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.
    Did they? Looked more than there were cos they were quite spread out. Sold 1400 up front. Be surprised if they had over 2k, not that I'm knocking it either way.
  • Options
    they had 1600 or near enough
  • Options
    thought hamer was excellent, especially in the last 15mins. He liteally saved about 3 or 4 point blank chances. granted the foxed ripped the shots right at the keeper... hamer did well to not only stand his ground but he also held on to the ball without forcing a rebound or corner... quality game from hamer!
  • Options
    Hamer did play well, but he'll pick up more yellows for time wasting than anything else this season...wish he wouldn't do it cause it only gets added on, drives me mad
  • Options
    Charlton fans were superb, Solly's swagger with the ball up the touch line towards the end of play said everything to me about the team having confidence, ability and a deep determination to play for each other and win. Every team fancies there chances at promotion; all we have to do is fancy our chances at winning the next match. Hull, Leicester, Birmingham....they are all contenders so lets be as focused as we were last night as players and fans.
  • Options
    So I wonder if SE9 still thinks we have turned into a team that can't play football?