Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Leicester 2-1 (2012) Post-Match Views & Opinion

Comments

• Options
    woah, if every game is like that this season, we are in for a hell of a ride.

make no mistake, Leicester are a good side and to get a result like that is a great confidence booster.

BWP worked his socks off and linked well with Kerm.

so pleased Kerm got his goal.

said to my mates last night that this is what it's all about, great atmosphere, lots of away fans and a great game of football.
  • Options

Ref was good until the end when he seemed to want to gift Leicester an equaliser - the fouls he didn't call were close to scandelous - never mind, we won but I wasn't happy.

This. Not to distract from Leicester's obvious skill, but the pushing, pulling and shirt-holding became more brazen as they realised they were getting away with it. For balance, our lads got away with some of it too. The ref may as well not have been there for parts of the 2nd half.
  • Options
    What kind of reception did konch get???
  • Options

What kind of reception did konch get???

Not my favourite ex player and from me get a whispered boo, but the rest of the crowd gave him polite applause, which give him his due he returned. No reactions to him when he was on the ball. He started the second half powering forward but faded.

• Options
    Konch got some minor booing and some polite clapping as well.
  • Options
    I can't comment directly as I wasn't there, but I did notice at half time that the stats showed that Leicester had not managed a shot on target, which to me says attack is the best form of defence.
  • Options
    I drew two conclusions from last night.

A. We will be able to compete in this division
    B. Each and every match will be very hard work.

Quality first half confining Leicester to one snap shot wide. Slowly grew into the game and BWP's goal just came at the right time giving us a boost and putting them on the back foot. So happy for Yann to score, it obviously meant a lot to him and got the monkey off his back. Second half we didn't turn up and Leicester rightfully came back into it but for all their possession and pressure we held firm and stood tall. We were expert in taking the lead and expert in keeping that lead. Bodies on the line, last ditch tackles, straining every muscle to ensure you win the header. We got promotion back in 98 with a team anyone outside the Prem would've struggled to recognise but they worked tirelessly for the shirt and the manager. Same here, not a team of superstars or egos but an honest bunch of footballers giving 100% for the manager. SCP has clearly embarked on a journey and he's taking us all with him! Superb night, great game to which Leicester definitely contributed and they will be in the mix up for promotion come the Spring.
  • Options
    Great result against a side that was probably technically better than us but it was sheer determination and hard work got us through with the help of two well taken goals. If we are honest we hung on a bit second half and Leicester did miss some very good chances but hey ho you have to hit the net! Great, exciting game and now can't wait for Saturday. Well done lads!
  • Options
    Posting without reading previous posts but just wanted to say FANTASTIC !

SO hope SCP reads this thread and can feel the love - and share it with his gutsy lads.

Everything we could have wished for in the Championship was on display last night.....long may it continue.

That first goal for BWP was such a confidence booster for him & he looked a different player to the one we witnessed towards the end of last season. My MOM with Pritch & Morro close behind.

Can't think of anyone that didn't give their all - I am so proud of this team, I could burst !

Couldn't sleep much as kept replaying the match in my head so herre's to more sleepless nights ahead.

Onwards & upwards !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think last night was a great leaqrning experience for the team, the tempo of this game was greater than anything we have seen for a good few years. It was a different class of football from Div 1 and shows how well the team have stepped up to the mark.

I suspect that we are going to need all of our squad this season with the intensity of these games and we will pick up more bookings than last year.

Not sure I can sit through a whole season of second halves like yesterday, but it was great. Hats off to both the Leicester fans and our North Stand (not that they had a north stand) for creating a great atmosphere
  • Options
    Was great to be back, my first home game in years and only one more to go on Saturday before heading back across the Atlantic for who knows how long.

Typical Charlton then that I spent the last 20 minutes willing for it to end!!

Really impressed with the team, particularly the work ethic and spirit, not sure about the strength in depth but if we can go into most matches with that attitude we will do alright this season....
  • Options
    Can't add much to what has already been written before. Really enjoyed it and all the players were immense last night. It was good to see the Jimmy Seed so full on a mid-week game and reminded me of PL nights gone by. Leicester really should have equalised or even won with the quality of their 2nd half attacking but for the our stout defending and the grace of God we held on to the lead. If I have any gripe it's I wish SCP had made some substitutions earlier in the 2nd half when our midfield seemed to be over-run and the lack of width was telling. In future games we may not be so lucky if we are slow to react to the oppo's tactical changes. Nevertheless we won, I'm proud to be an Addick (as always) and I am really looking forward to see what our amazing team can do this season.
  • Options
    Every ones forgetting the man who controlled the game scp
    Had a great game held his nerve and never stopped believing great time wasting use of subs as well.
  • Options
    Superb display from 11 lads on the top of their game

Yes the strength in depth isn't there and central midfield especially might be a weak area for us as the season goes on but I have no doubts that this wont be a comfortable season for us

Might be over stating this but for the size of the crowd and against a good away support I think that is the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at The Valley, hope it stays like that every week

My only moans of the night are losing my car park space (the old carpet and beds shop near makro) and the club shop not having any Nike kits for my 4 year old only the pikey stuff, hey ho

Can't wait till Saturday
  • Options
    I must be out of practice, as my voice is shot this morning!

A great start to the season, we need to build on the many many positives from last night, but also address some of the problems in the second half, as we needed to keep possession better, and looked a bit predictable going forward, with every goal kick for example aimed at Yann, and often coming straight back at us. Hamer never seems to throw the ball out for example
  • Options
    Is it me, or is the intensity of the football in the Championship risen in the past 3 or 4 years since we've been out of it? Also the build and height of players seems to have gone the way of the Premier League, with everyone over 6 foot and fast.
  • Options
    Can't really add much to what has been said already, but no player had a bad game that's for sure. last night represented the minimum effort required by the team and the fans every game this season.
    Little shout out for Danny Hollands, late into pre-season, played loads of football over the last fortnight or so, and still giving it last night. Danny and (the excellent last night) Morrison are examples of the players brought in who really represent the spirit of Charlton these days...obviously could add more names, but well done Danny.
    Really loved that late run by Chris Solly last night that ended with our throw, most relationships start with an early passion that dilutes with familiarity, but with me and Chris the loves gets stronger every day!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Slightly less convinced by that performance than some on here I'm afraid. Someone nearby reckoned JJ took a knock late first half and that would explain a lot... he looked knackered long before he came off and several moves broke down accordingly, not to mention some slightly worrying defensive lapses he would normally prevent just by stopping the ball getting that far. Solly I thought looked most uncharacteristically out of sorts save for THAT extra time surge, the admittedly talented Leicester winger seemed to have his number more than most players would.

I would also add that CP really should have made changes a bit earlier, Leicester improved with the half time subs and momentum kept building in their favour. Hamer had to pull off some decent saves and Morro was good also, but can't count on that happening every time. Taking the game to them would have relieved a lot of the pressure of that I am sure. That said, this was precisely the kind of game having Fuller to unleash off the bench would be ideal, glad he's on board.

So as not to sound a total Golf-clone/negative brigade... top class effort and spirit amongst everyone, BWP had one of the best games I have ever seen him play in either division and to hold out showed great character. Just hope for the sake of my blood pressure that we don't see too many more games like that!

I agree with this entirely, but that said it was one of the most enjoyable games I've had a t the Valley for a while.

I think we rode our luck and played far too deep - I was holding my breath with every Schmeichal kick. Our back four looked a little slow and out of their depth but I think/hope that was a reflection of the quality of Leicester (who will be top four thsi season) rather than on them.

• Options
    PS...worst aspect of our game last night was some poor throw ins, including a first half one from Chris Solly which nearly led to them scoring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a game! Can't remember an 'ordinary' mid-week league game having such an atmosphere - we should pat ourselves on the back for that.

Hope we (players and fans) can maintain that intensity throughout the season. To echo what's been said above, I'm also concerned about the depth or our squad. Can't wait to see Fuller though, assuming he's fit maybe that will be Saturday?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Is it me, or is the intensity of the football in the Championship risen in the past 3 or 4 years since we've been out of it? Also the build and height of players seems to have gone the way of the Premier League, with everyone over 6 foot and fast.

Its the way of the world these days all real man are 6 foot and fast!!

• Options

Rothko said:

Its the way of the world these days all real man are 6 foot and fast!!

I'm half way there then. ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Saga Lout said:

Rothko said:

Its the way of the world these days all real man are 6 foot and fat!!

How tall are you?
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Rothko said:

How tall are you?
    4ft 10.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Glad that my Doherty prediction has been rewarded

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19331193
  • Options
    Fabulous first half, what a pleasure to see such quality after 3 years of dross. You could not fault the effort from every player with BWP and Morrison particularly outstanding. Great to see the manager keeping faith with last years players.Second half was nervy, after Leicester scored but we beat a very good team last night.
  • Options
    A good game and those who went will want to come back for more .On balance we were very lucky to get a win (Leicester missed 3 good chances late on) .However magnificent spirit throughout the team and id pick out Morrison and BWP for overall performances Our midfield tired in the 2nd half (all four faded ,bit worried for Jacko as i thought the game passed him by a bit)and Leicester just played through us .

Reckon we might suprise ourselves a tad this season ..top half ,Fuller a good signing .And just great to be back to the place !
  • Options
    I dislike Leicester's sponsors with a passion: one of the most corrupt organisations in Thailand and that takes some doing! So it was very pleasing to wake up this morning to find out we had beaten them.