Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Leicester 2-1 (2012) Post-Match Views & Opinion

Comments

• Options
    Great joy in reading the match thread after the match here in 34 degrees at 11.30 pm Valencia......can I just back up a previous request that the score does not appear on any of the post match headings...thanks.
  • Options
    This team impresses me more each time I see them.

To a man they worked their nuts off again. Back 5 outstanding even though it was last ditch at times. Thought Yann was class and seemed to win everything, esp 1st half. Pleased he scored. But BWP was my MOM, best I've personally seen him play.

That was a bloody good Leicester team who will do well, but we showed tremendous character, even if we did ride our luck at times. But that amount of effort deserves some luck, esp after Birmingham on Sat.

Great advert for the Championship, really good game and I thought it was a cracking atmosphere in the Covered End.

And indoors in Maidstone by 10.35!! And Maidstone won!! And Palace lost :)
  • Options
    Slight negative. Anyone else think our bench looked a bit weak or at least inexperienced. I didn't feel any of the seven could come on and make a real difference. Perhaps Taylor.
  • Options

Shrew said:

Cracking result, great start. Shows me the importance of keeping the defence intact. Chris Solly must not be allowed to go anywhere. 4 points absolutely top end of my expectation.

Those of us who rely on Player are going to have to get something done about the commentary though. I hate to have a go at Peter Finch, since he's a willing and hardworking amateur. But there should be a pro alongside him, and the BBC has plenty of them.And we pay good money for this.

When Pete Finch is not there the main commentator does do ok, However when Peter Finch is there they waffle on and on endlessly not giving us a clue what is happening on the pitch.

You really notice the difference when Bradley Allen is the summariser
    Because he played at this level. I switched to the Leicester commentary. They had an ex-player co-commentating and he really gave an insight into tactics, team formation etc. In addition I also had a clear idea of what was going on in the game.
  • Options
    Couple of extra points:

# I have what I class as a football headache from singing too much, its been a while

# during the course of the journey home, I picked 5 different mom's

# I am going to annoy every single person around me with the most pathetic Salon Kerkar song all season

# even the half time steak pie was good
  • Options

I had to read that a few times before I got what you really meant!
  • Options
    And you even had the dubious pleasure of walking to the ground with me.....always a pleasure Danny old son, always a pleasure.
  • Options
    Just back - needed a beer after that 2nd half! Looked too easy in the first half - their defence weren't tracking back in numbers, and our 2-0 was deserved.
    Completely different game in the second half. They tricked, jinked and ran us ragged - absolutely dominated until around the 70th minute. Utterly amazing performance by Hamer to keep us in it.
    Really, really pleased for Yann!! That 'A' bet paid off after all.. :)
  • Options
    Sometimes a backs to the wall defensive solid performance is almost as satisfying(equally as terrifying) as a fantastic win. SO PROUD of that 35mins of solid defence. It ain't easy
  • Options
    Bloody hell, everyone's happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great performance and a great result, best atmosphere down the Valley in a while as well.
  • Options
    I walked away from work this evening buzzing I wasn't going to another midweek game against Rochdale, Bury or Yeovil (no disrespect to those teams mind we were where we were for a reason) and my oh my I wasn't disappointed! What a game, what a night! This league is going to be very exciting this year, Leicester were full of quality especially second half and they'll be in the mix come May.

But when it comes to our boys they all put a shift in, "the final 20 minutes was like a cup final" (quote 1905) as everyone on the pitch had ran themselves into the ground. They really earned that win.

Absolutely buzzing!
  • Options
    walked out of the valley bursting with pride tonight.
    absolute quality in the first half,all the midfielders were great.

ive called bwp a lazy bugger on many occasions in the past ,but tonight i thought he was awesome and ran his nuts off!,and topped it off with a goal.

second half was just out and out guts, and pride in the shirt. midfield got tired,as leicester got better,. and then our back five do the business!
    every player put thmselves on the line tonight.
    we really do have our charlton back!!!!!!
    bring on saturday, cant wait,coyr!
  • Options

# I have what I class as a football headache from singing too much, its been a while

Ditto to both - most I've enjoyed a home game in yonks!!

Anyone else not know Fuller had signed till coming on here after? Happy with that signing!!

• Options

Bloody hell, everyone's happy.

I'm not. The Best was off. Ruined my night. Might never come back. I want a refund on my season ticket.

;)
  • Options
    Slightly less convinced by that performance than some on here I'm afraid. Someone nearby reckoned JJ took a knock late first half and that would explain a lot... he looked knackered long before he came off and several moves broke down accordingly, not to mention some slightly worrying defensive lapses he would normally prevent just by stopping the ball getting that far. Solly I thought looked most uncharacteristically out of sorts save for THAT extra time surge, the admittedly talented Leicester winger seemed to have his number more than most players would.

I would also add that CP really should have made changes a bit earlier, Leicester improved with the half time subs and momentum kept building in their favour. Hamer had to pull off some decent saves and Morro was good also, but can't count on that happening every time. Taking the game to them would have relieved a lot of the pressure of that I am sure. That said, this was precisely the kind of game having Fuller to unleash off the bench would be ideal, glad he's on board.

So as not to sound a total Golf-clone/negative brigade... top class effort and spirit amongst everyone, BWP had one of the best games I have ever seen him play in either division and to hold out showed great character. Just hope for the sake of my blood pressure that we don't see too many more games like that!
  • Options
    A great evening, that shows why this league is so tough. Leicester are clearly a top 6 or more team, but came away with nothing.

A great first half, where we exploited some holes in their defence, but Leicester looked dangerous going forward.

The 2nd half, they tightened up, e.g. defending the long throw much better, and we became a bit predictable with too many long punts to Yann. They ran us ragged, scored an excellent goal and somehow managed to not score again! We looked tired, perhaps SCP should have brought on fresh legs a bit earlier, as our players worked really hard, BWP was a terrier up front, perhaps he saw Fuller in the stand :-)

We will have many such games this season, now we've shown we can compete at this level, we need to relax more when defending a lead, and keep the ball better, as we proved we belong at this level and shouldn't fear the opposition.
  • Options
    Game of two Halfs. We were superb in the first half . We closed Leicester down and looked in control for the most part . Pritchard dominated midfield .
    Second half Leicester came out and showed us what a good side they are .
    We did our usual and sat back and defended too deep and I still don't know how we held on.
    Jacko was out on his feet and if it wasn't for the hard work put in by BWP and Yan I think we might have crumbled.
    Great night , fantastic 3 points .
  • Options
    Great performance from the lads and topped off with a quality signing! Happy boy tonight.
  • Options
    Wheres golfie to send out the doom

That was a excellent value for money football game

First half we played well no where near as good as saturday imo but that was because leicester never let us

We took our goals fantastically well , and we work so hard for eachother and for scp

2nd half wow leicester are quality absolutely quality if we have to face this week in week out i dont think we can hold out as the pace and power is too much for the current numbers

We were screaming for a sub as jacko and stephens tired and were spent

Moving pritch inside was the only option but who did we have to bring on to replace

So imo you coukd sense SCP wanted to leave it as long as possible but leicester was really turning the screw

Positives for me

True heart
    True team spirit
    BWP was immense
    Mozza was immense
    Hamer was unflappable

I am really impressed with this first 11 but mainly and more importantly i am so proud to be an addick

What a nerve shredding buzzing evening

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If ooh aah is the person I think he is (he was pointed out some years ago) he certainly enjoyed it jumping up and down to chrissy powells red n white army like he had just won Olympic gold in his team GB Top.

Superb tonight a real edge to it we were the underdogs again the players gave there all for the team getting numerous blocks in.

The fans were superb with 20 left really getting behind them.

For me BWP is mom his hold up play his chasing down and his skill was everything I want out my charlton team

Superb boys very happy
  • Options
    What a cracking match. Both teams going for it in front of a loud crowd. Absolutely outstanding first half from Charlton in which every player contributed. We pressed them high up the pitch and unsurprisingly couldn't quite keep up that tempo after ht.

Leicester really went for it after scoring but those defensive qualities instilled last year saw us through - the number of body blocks closing down long range shots can't be a coincidence and even under pressure we rarely concede soft free-kicks in threatening positions. All 4 defenders had great moments but Morrison was exceptional tonight. It was suggested on here that we might have sat deep - we didn't; we were just forced back as we tired and they grew in confidence with 2 early subs making an impact.

But back to the first half - breathtaking at times as we fought hard for possession before passing it slickly forward to the tireless pair who both deservedly scored. Please no-one call BWP lazy again - he ran them ragged and wouldn't let them out. Every couple of minutes a tremendous moment; Hollands' Parker-like track back & tackle, Morro's jink and sprayed pass, Wiggins sweeping across the area and distributing it in tight corners, fine passages of inter-play turning defence into attack. In short, no lack of skill to go with the obvious effort.

This was everything you could reasonably ask of a Charlton side. Hope Ricky Fuller caught the bug and fancies some of that himself. Thank-you SCP for another great evening.
  • Options
    Jackson and green were just on Talksport, brief chat on the way home, good banter
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited August 2012
  • Options
    Superb result and team effort , they put their bodies on the line and left every ounce of energy on the pitch
    I'm loving Hamer coming to claim /punch etc near the end to tidy up their aerial threats
    Bwp and Yann quality but for me the crowd were the Men Ladies of the Match , don't think we've had a League match atmosphere like that for donkeys years , the place was buzzing and it was how I dream of it being all the time ... Brilliant brilliant
    I'd have bitten your hand off for 2 points from these two fixtures so 4 is a miracle and as said above its a team of 11 playing to their maximum only worry is the depth in squad imo isn't there but will cross that bridge if we have to
    Hope the substitutes satisfied all, well the result was brilliant !
    Was there really 3 and 4 mins worth of injury time in that match? And I presume Morro had a cut for him to be ooofed off the pitch for that scary last corner..
    4% top 6 ..... 41% 7th-12th .....51% 13th-21st and 4% relegation
  • Options
    Wow what a win. Best performance from bwp I have ever seen, just a brilliant all round night. Proud.
  • Options
    And what a relief to be watching half-decent football again rather than some of the garbage served up by us and our opponents over the past few years. Alright, it's only the start, but some cracking stuff at times tonight.
  • Options
    just spent an hour up the Greyhound in Keston smoking cigars and drinking guiness. Fantastic performance -BWP magnificent. Cannot agree with SCP when it comes to substitutions, but wtf do I know. Will never be persuaded that Stephens is good enough, but again, wtf do i know?
    Normal service resumed in South London.
  • Options

Slight negative. Anyone else think our bench looked a bit weak or at least inexperienced. I didn't feel any of the seven could come on and make a real difference. Perhaps Taylor.

Take your point, but Cook looks very decent and one run he made was not rewarded with a pass. I think he is quality and could even get the nod over Jacko this Sat. I also think Kerka adds a lot and Fuller signed today! I would like to see a really good holding MF as I cannot stand too much of this pressure!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Take your point, but Cook looks very decent and one run he made was not rewarded with a pass. I think he is quality and could even get the nod over Jacko this Sat. I also think Kerka adds a lot and Fuller signed today! I would like to see a really good holding MF as I cannot stand too much of this pressure!
    Totally agree, cook could be excellent given a chance, Kerkar looks like he has something and fuller is a great signing! Gonna be a good season