Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Button signs

Comments

• Options
    Course you Ken.
  • Options
    Alot of money for a back up keeper if we're potless, same for the Wilson deal.

I'm going to put my rose tinted glasses on and hope we've found some investment from somewhere and we'll be signing Messi in he next 48 hours
  • Options
    if we have paid that dough for him i will worry about Hamer
  • Options

Hamer will still be number one. But Button might be a better challenger for Sullivan. I didn't mind Sullivan when he first came to us. I wish him all the luck, except against us.
  • Options
    Madz said:

Hamer will still be number one. But Button might be a better challenger for Sullivan. I didn't mind Sullivan when he first came to us. I wish him all the luck, except against us.
    Not sure that's what he meant!
  • Options
    @BackPage: Tottenham goalkeeper David Button is joining Charlton in a £500,00 switch. #THFC #CAFC

I saw this tweet earlier and think it has the correct amount '0's but the decimal point is in the wrong place.
  • Options
    If we paid that amount , then Hamer is off.
  • Options

Tend to agree. Totally confused now about our finances.

• Options
    The question is why are we forking out 500,000

Surely if we had kept that 500,000 then we would not need to consider offers for Stephens or solly ?
  • Options
    It's not 500k.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    200k upfront, another 50k for promotion, 50k for apps and a sell on fee is what I heard
  • Options
    Still a lot of money for a backup.

• Options

sigh...
  • Options
    The plot thickens......
  • Options
    He will challenge Hamer for the No.1 spot and the competition between the two will make them both better keepers.
  • Options
    Half a million quid for a 23 year old, 3rd choice keeper who has never played a first team match.

Either we have tons of dosh (perhaps from a player sale), or one of our keepers is on the way out.
  • Options
    Even £200,000 up front is a lot for a back up keeper. Southend just signed Paul Smith for nothing.
  • Options
    PaulCAFC said:

Even £200,000 up front is a lot for a back up keeper. Southend just signed Paul Smith for nothing.

who ?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    PaulCAFC said:

Yes and you get what you pay for.
  • Options
    cambi22 said:

PaulCAFC said:

Yes and you get what you pay for.
    Very true, I think we are just clutching At straws here, why all the negativity, hamer seems happy, playing well and getting regular footy, no teams have expressed an interest , should be more worried about stephens IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2012
    Well, it might just be that it's not all doom and gloom then. Heaven forbid that we actually do have some money. Nah, too positive for lil ol' Charlton and some of its supporters. Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Options
    Perhaps our perceived lack of money is just a smokescreen so we can new players in without being charged a king's ransom. I like the signing of Button and to me it shows we are definitely trying to compete rather than survive in this league. The full picture will become apparent by Friday night I guess!

(n.b. - I do know that an electrician at The Valley wasn't paid for a couple of months so there certainly has been cash flow issues, just hope it isn't for too much longer)
  • Options
    To make any progress at this level you need two frontline keepers. I am sure Button has no intention of coming to us as a back up, he has come here to compete for the No1 job. Competition for places is a positive. Two options for every position is what Powell has been preaching from the outset. Whats the problem?
  • Options
    Button sounds decent. Spurs fans not happy he's been sold (well, the ones who commented on a story about the transfer)
  • Options
    Our Benny isnt going anywhere. Theres no need to worry. He will be challenging hamer.
  • Options
    I hope so hamer is turning into a quality keeper

I would rather have saved 200k though
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Powell supports Spurs doesn't he?

Makes sense with all these spuds players coming in. ;)
  • Options
    Did not see this one coming. I think we all agreed that another keeper would be required but I assumed it would be an experienced keeper at the other end of his career, maybe released on a free or minimal fees.

Good news = strengthened the squad
    Bad news = does this mean Hamers also off???
  • Options
    It seems that Button has all the makings of a decent keeper - but will never get Prem game time at Spurs.

I guess Powell thinking is that he's signed a rough diamond to polish and bring through, like he's doing with Hamer.

Keeps Benny on his toes, of course.

• Options
    I think we've done well to get buffon but I thought he was older than 23 and also Italian