Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Button signs

Comments

• Options
    If we lose Solly,Stephens and Hamer expect Powell to be not far behind.
  • Options
    This transfer really puzzles me. I know other people are speculating the same but this kind of fee for a back up GK?
    IMO Hamer being sold with Button as a replacement is the only logical explanation.
    Sullivan being loaned out for Button to be number 2 surely doesn't make sense?
    If a club are experiencing financial difficulties, then having a goalkeeper of Hamer's quality is excellent and you would be content with Sullivan as number 2.
    I just cannot believe that we would spend any fee on a goalkeeper and let Sullivan go if the financial crisis is really bad. Just makes no sense, although if we only have a little amount to spend and Powell has chosen to spend it on a back up Gk, then I think that's a bad decision.
  • Options

Just makes no sense, although if we only have a little amount to spend and Powell has chosen to spend it on a back up Gk, then I think that's a bad decision.

All summer Powell has been saying he's been wanting another keeper, so no surprise there.

Powell has also been saying he has had targets, which he hasn't been able to bring in - but says he still needs another CM (irrespective of whether Stephens stays or goes).

Bad decision by Powell?

I should imagine that Button is only one part of the jigsaw, even if a player first has to be sold before bringing in others who fit the plan.
  • Options
    A very good back up keeper who will provide good competition for Hamer.

However is he to good to be Hamer's number 2 meaning bye - bye Hamer? I hope not but it could be the case.
  • Options
    I understand that Powell might not have felt Sullivan good enough to provide back up, hence Button signing. But if the reported financial crisis is true, why so much money on a back up. If things were pretty bad, having Sullivan at number 2 would be ok - not the end of the world.
  • Options
    If we think about it, Button was exactly in the same position at Spurs as Hamer was a year ago at Reading.

Hamer had been out on loan at a number of League clubs, aquitted himself well and highly regarded, but had no chance of breaking into Reading's 1st team unless they experienced an unprecedented keeper crisis.

Button fits the plan.

• Options
    Hamer won't be going anywhere. We have simply bought a keeper in who can challenge hamer rather than fill in if need be.

Powell obviously doesn't see sullivan as good enough for championship football and had bought in a keeper to challenge hamer for a place in the team.
  • Options

Hamer won't be going anywhere. We have simply bought a keeper in who can challenge hamer rather than fill in if need be.

Powell obviously doesn't see sullivan as good enough for championship football and had bought in a keeper to challenge hamer for a place in the team.

I agree 100% on how Powell see's Button/Sullivan. But would we be splashing out 250k + add ons if we had no money? Yes probably if we desperately needed an addition, but for a back up GK when having Sullivan there wouldn't be too bad. It is only a back up so would surely be down the priority list. Just seems odd with that and Wilson. Although I would obviously be delighted if it means we are in a position to buy Button without major implications.
  • Options
    *maybe* just *maybe* the financial issue isnt that bad and there is still a transfer budget to spend, just not one that is sizeable enough for Powells first choice. That's why we've signed a back up keeper. Pope and Sullivan to go out on loan methinks.
  • Options
    Meh

That is all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sullivan clearly going overseas

John Sullivan (@JohnSullivan13)
    28/08/2012 23:11
    Geography lesson with @katy_thorpe...

Me: what continent is Argentina in?
    Katy: SPAIN

#excuseme
  • Options
    Chill out!!!!

SCP Already was quoted saying he will be sending out Sullivan on loan, a he needs game time for his career.

Considering he is out of contract, it's a chance for Sullivan to put himself in the shop window and get a club come next summer.

If SCP sells Hamer, and loans out Sullivan (which is going to happen, just a case of agreeing the loan contribution from the other club), that means we have Button, and Pope (who is in rehab after a bad injury).

Hamer is going nowhere. We didn't pay 500k upfront, there will be add ons. The fee upfront is more likely around 200k.
  • Options
    John certainly needs football. Just checked his wiki and unbelievably, he's only played 30 or so matches in his career. Luckily, he's only 24 and for a gk that's young.

He also seems a really good guy and I'd imagine he likes the club. Good luck to him.
  • Options

John certainly needs football. Just checked his wiki and unbelievably, he's only played 30 or so matches in his career. Luckily, he's only 24 and for a gk that's young.

He also seems a really good guy and I'd imagine he likes the club. Good luck to him.

This

• Options
    If Hamer stays, and got injured I would be very concerned about having Sullivan as our number one keeper.

It will certainly be interesting to see how good Button is.
  • Options
    Sullivan needs to play matches, I'm sure he will sign for a league one club.
  • Options
    this is really surprising,whilst I don't believe that Sullivanis good enough, surely there are enough decent "free" back up keepers around. If we are so hard up splashing out £500,000 seems surprising, if it is true.However you never know the truth about fees, could be nothing but lots more if he plays for England or plays 500 games.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The Daily Mirror has a reputation as a gutter rag tabloid which sensationalises stories, so that people buy their newspaper.

So when they publish an alleged transfer fee of £500,000 for Button, why take it as gospel?

On the Charlton OS, it states the transfer fee as "undisclosed".

The word on the street is that the package is around £200,000 plus hefty add-ons should Button be transferred later at profit.

But even that is conjecture.

• Options
    strange signing for me, personally didn't see anything wrong with Sullivan at all and to 'waste' a quarter of a mill on a keeper, think it could've been much better spent elsewhere
  • Options

strange signing for me, personally didn't see anything wrong with Sullivan at all and to 'waste' a quarter of a mill on a keeper, think it could've been much better spent elsewhere

yawn .... how many times ... the amount is undisclosed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I look at it a different way.

Sullivan isn't good enough for champ football. If hamer gets injured, Sullivan comes in.

We've bought button in to 'challenge' hamer. Hamer at the moment is number 1 and knows it and is comfortable knowing sullivan won't take the shirt.

I've not seen anything of button but that's not my job. I'm guessing Powell and the scouts know button will keep hamer on his toes just like fuller will with bwp & the kermonator.
  • Options

so he's free then is he?

haven't scoured the whole thread, not enough time, but did notice that JohnBoy (who's usually pretty accurate with Spurs talk) mentioned in the region of £250k I believe

• Options
    Surely the main reason Button has been brought in, is that the management see him as a good prospect?

Isn't that one of the main business principles of the club at the moment, to bring in undervalued youngsters to nurture?

Button ticks the box.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

so he's free then is he?

haven't scoured the whole thread, not enough time, but did notice that JohnBoy (who's usually pretty accurate with Spurs talk) mentioned in the region of £250k I believe

reading the whole thread won't clarify the proce .. if anything it makes it more and more confusing :o)

Hoping its a one off amount of say £200K with add-ons for about the same value if he plays for England and lands on the moon etc
  • Options
    Another moneyball signing
  • Options
    edited August 2012

so he's free then is he?

As Charlton has published on the OS that the fee is undisclosed, we know that a transfer fee has been negotiated.

Even if guessing that £200,000 is the base fee, then because it's common practice to pay in 12 month instalments - we may have paid only in the region of £50,000 or so up front to Spurs right now.

All conjecture, of course.

The player will be entitled to a signing on fee - but even that could well be included in the package.

• Options

so he's free then is he?

reading the whole thread won't clarify the proce .. if anything it makes it more and more confusing :o)

Hoping its a one off amount of say £200K with add-ons for about the same value if he plays for England and lands on the moon etc
    I don't think anyone is disputing that it is at least £200k up front. That is just under a quarter of a million before the add-on's.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Isn't that one of the main business principles of the club at the moment, to bring in undervalued youngsters to nurture?

Button ticks the box.

No one at the Club has ever said that that is the business principle at all. People on here have guessed that it is but if so Fuller doesn't fit the bill.

Another moneyball signing

Not sure how the moneyball principle works in football. Button doesn't get on base or have a decent ERA

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Oggy stop using the word "conjecture"
    Any tabloid readers won't be able to understand its meaning ...
  • Options
    I know nothing about Button but it seems like a very good move to me. Sullivan looks a good shot-stopper but causes concern over crosses, which has appeared in the past to spread to his defenders. Perhaps it was hoped that this could be ironed out as he developed but I personally would've been worried if he'd had a prolonged spell in the first team.

Button comes highly rated from a leading club and has clearly been watched for a good while. If Hamer's form makes him automatic for the next two seasons we're laughing; look at the string of good keepers who failed to depose Deano. If he loses form or gets a knock we now hopefully have good cover while the youngsters push on. Only a handful on here claim to know what the finances really are but I find it strange to blame anyone for backing CP with the funds that he sees as an astute investment. His judgement's been pretty good so far.