Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hillsborough The Search For Truth ITV1 10.35 Tonight (Monday)

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:

how many of them are there trying to get in in the space of 30 seconds?

Wembley 1986 has no relevence to the Hillsborough disaster.
  • Options
    I always found it disturbing that the Leppings Lane stand was never knocked down and rebuilt like Ibrox was.

We played Wednesday, I think it was the following season, when the terrace was closed down and empty.

We were sat above it, looking down on what to me seemed to be really a living grave.

I still find it bizarre that all SWFC did was just put seats on the terracing.

• Options

I always found it disturbing that the Leppings Lane stand was never knocked down and rebuilt like Ibrox was.

We played Wednesday, I think it was the following season, when the terrace was closed down and empty.

We were sat above it, looking down on what to me seemed to be really a living grave.

How bizarre putting seating in making it safe????
  • Options
    edited September 2012

clb74 said:

The point I was making with that link was ticketless fans got in but there were no deaths. So they couldn't be a major factor as it was a common occurrence at the time. I think Owl has his figures wrong, there was loads of space in the side pens which the forest fans in the kop even picked up on.

Completely agree.

On a different note, will today's finding be a step towards safe standing?
  • Options

clb74 said:

The point I was making with that link was ticketless fans got in but there were no deaths. So they couldn't be a major factor as it was a common occurrence at the time. I think Owl has his figures wrong, there was loads of space in the side pens
    Yes the centre pen was packed but that was quite a bit before kick off, by the time kick off came look at the away end and tell me the side pens were empty.

Anyway Manslaughter charges to be brought in against SWFC, so it looks like we'll be relegated into L2, nevermind just have to tell the Juventus fans about justice I suppose.

• Options

On top of the same terracing 96 people died on.

Stay classy.

• Options
    I havn't posted on this before because it just upsets me too much partically the idiots who don't know what they are talking about but I signed the pitition to get these papers realeased and thank God the truth is now out there. Anyone who went to football partically away games back then knows how the police treated spectators so how anyone could of blamed the fans is beyond me. What also upsets me is that some of those who died would have been at the Selhurst games against Liverpool so we would have shared a football match with them.
    I'm going to try and watch the news without bursting into tears of rage and oh yes can we make sure MacKenzie never stinks up the Valley by his presence again.
  • Options

makes me ill that Kelvin Mckenzie 'supports' our great club

Didn't know that, does he go that often?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2012

clb74 said:

The point I was making with that link was ticketless fans got in but there were no deaths. So they couldn't be a major factor as it was a common occurrence at the time. I think Owl has his figures wrong, there was loads of space in the side pens
    Yes the centre pen was packed but that was quite a bit before kick off, by the time kick off came look at the away end and tell me the side pens were empty.

Anyway Manslaughter charges to be brought in against SWFC, so it looks like we'll be relegated into L2, nevermind just have to tell the Juventus fans about justice I suppose.

• Options

Stay classy.

Nothing to do with class, it was to do with making that stand safe, back in the late 80s Wednesday did not have the money to just build a new £20m stand.

So what do you say to that, just close it forever? I'm, sure had this been at the Valley you would just be as critical re health and safety.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Unbelievable that the Sun sponsored a Wednesday V Liverpool game in 98.
  • Options

Stay classy.

Nothing to do with class, it was to do with making that stand safe, back in the late 80s Wednesday did not have the money to just build a new £20m stand.

So what do you say to that, just close it forever? I'm, sure had this been at the Valley you would just be as critical re health and safety.

Our East terrace was closed forever. Any opinion of the photo I've posted?
  • Options

Stay classy.

If you look carefully that clock says 14:55, I know from BBC footage I've seen that the whole end by the time the game was a few minutes into the game it was packed.

But I know the al of them was just went into the tunnel was there was no one directing them into the side pens, to be honest i'm glad them days are gone.

• Options
    So. The report released today has found evidence of a cover-up by SYP. I wonder if anyone will now face conviction for 1. their actions on the day. 2. Their actions and others involvement in the cover-up. 3. Because of this, does the general public have grounds to believe that other police forces have acted like SYP and covered other actions of their own up. Anyway, lets hope the 96 can rest in peace.
  • Options
    I went to Hillsborough the year after to watch us play too. It was eerie and sad and the game didn't mean too much I clearly recall - I think we lost 3-0 but I recall being moved to tears at regular intervals as you couldn't take your mind away from what had happened. There was one incident that day that demonstrated to me that many of the SYP were severely traumatised. A good point was made about the way Police treated away fans back then -it wasn't right. I have said that this is the beginning of the closure- the retribution is now required - that sounds bitter but put yourself in the position of the families. Here's hoping that tonight 96 innocent souls are resting a little more comfortably in peace and those still spouting the stories that blame the fans just show some respect and shut up.

• Options

Stay classy.

If you look carefully that clock says 14:55, I know from BBC footage I've seen that the whole end by the time the game was a few minutes into the game it was packed.

But I know the al of them was just went into the tunnel was there was no one directing them into the side pens, to be honest i'm glad them days are gone.

If they went in to that side pen and filled it within 5 minutes there would've been no crush in the centre pens.

• Options
    Operation Pig
    I don't wish to have a pop at you, nor do I particularly dislike your club. But I recommend you to read David Conn's book "The Beautiful Game?". Not only does he have a chapter on Hillsborough, but later on he tracks down and interviews Graham Mackrell, the CEO at the time, and the de facto safety officer. Mackrell refused to resign after Hillsborough, yet he resigned as CEO of West Ham after it was discovered that West Ham had fielded an unregistered player for 8 minutes of a League Cup quarter final. This was the man who with "Sir" Dave Richards refused constant requests over 10 years to put up a memorial to the fans who died.
    I am glad to hear that today your club finally apologised for its role in the disaster.
  • Options

doubt it. He had a weekly column in the sun not that long ago I think were he just slagged us off non-stop but called himself a fan. So much so he held a vote to see if he should change to support QPR.

Wanker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

doubt it. He had a weekly column in the sun not that long ago I think were he just slagged us off non-stop but called himself a fan. So much so he held a vote to see if he should change to support QPR.

Wanker.
    Absolutely, can't stand the bloke...hopefully he has fuc... off to QPR.
  • Options

Wanker.
    There was a foto doing the rounds of him at The Valley with Jiminez and Slater soon after the takeover.

What's just as bad is the way he keeps on getting onto Question Time and Newsnight (and getting paid for it) in the interests of 'balance' maybe because too many BBC types are scared of him after years of bullying tactics by his Sun.

Wanker.

• Options
    FOD - must have been all them drunk ticketless fans again *shakes head*
  • Options
    I think South Yorkshire Police wil

Operation Pig
    I don't wish to have a pop at you, nor do I particularly dislike your club. But I recommend you to read David Conn's book "The Beautiful Game?". Not only does he have a chapter on Hillsborough, but later on he tracks down and interviews Graham Mackrell, the CEO at the time, and the de facto safety officer. Mackrell refused to resign after Hillsborough, yet he resigned as CEO of West Ham after it was discovered that West Ham had fielded an unregistered player for 8 minutes of a League Cup quarter final. This was the man who with "Sir" Dave Richards refused constant requests over 10 years to put up a memorial to the fans who died.
    I am glad to hear that today your club finally apologised for its role in the disaster.

Good post PA, I'll keep my eye out for that book, someone told me about it but I soon forgot about looking it up, but both Mackrell and Dave Richards are not held in high regard over here, out chairman at the time was Bert McGee IIRC, but he was replaced by Dave Richards who later went on to be head of the F.A.

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

It seems that some people won't be happy until the whole thing is blamed on the ob.

My God, "DRAIZE IN BIG ROB AGREEMENT SHOCKER"...

This is exactly the case. The scousers simply refuse to except any proportion of blame for what happened at Hillsborough because they cannot face the cold hard fact that they themselves are partially responsible for the deaths of their own fellow supports.

Their stance from the incident to this day is born from their own guilt, nothing more, nothing less. They claim to be so hurt and sympathetic towards the families that lost people that day but their continual denial of their obvious roles in the tragedy is actually an insult to their memory. They constantly bleat about a police cover up yet they have continually conducted their own type of cover up by trying to extricate their own involvement in the terrible events of that day. Disgraceful club, disgraceful supporters.

Utter prick.
  • Options

I think South Yorkshire Police wil

Operation Pig

Good post PA, I'll keep my eye out for that book, someone told me about it but I soon forgot about looking it up, but both Mackrell and Dave Richards are not held in high regard over here, out chairman at the time was Bert McGee IIRC, but he was replaced by Dave Richards who later went on to be head of the F.A.

I do recommend it, mate. There's a separate chapter on your Richards years. You'll see how all of us have been let down and duped by those who have run the game, both individual club owners and the governing bodies. I also know that after reading it you'll come back here and say 'in that book it describes Charlton (in the Prem) as one of the few really well run clubs- what happened to you lot? '. And we don't have a coherent answer for you!

But back to the thread topic...

• Options

FOD - must have been all them drunk ticketless fans again *shakes head*

There were no deaths though, the first minute of this video gives the answer why.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rU8UMe8C8g
  • Options
    so the Old Bill changed 100 statements (thats FORGED !!!!) and they lied under oath (PERJURY) not only that the lied to the media right away blaming the fans and kept that lie going alll those years.
    How many will get nicked for forging statements and perjury ? to the nearest NONE ------ c++ts.