Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Investors?

Comments

• 3 or 4 million for Solly ? .. he's a decent player .. but be realistic, if we get 1 million we should be well pleased. A 1/2 million is probably nearer reality

I've never read such a load of bollox in all my life.
    If we sold Solly for anything less than £3M plus add-ons there would rightly be uproar amongst the fans.
    Or perhaps if we do sell him for £500K we might play your favourite player Danny Seabourne there instead - you know the bloke you rate as a better defender than Wiggins.
    Give me strength.

Bollox yourself .. Read the rest of the posts before you start ranting. It's not a question of what value Powell and CAFC put on him, I for one would not sell him unless the offer was in excess of (say) 3 million. But I am not in the know as to how much CAFC needs the money. A fire sale might be in order. The issue is what price would any other club be prepared to pay and I don't think many other clubs would pay a lot for him unless they are desperate for a young right back who is untried at a high level. Any club after a full back can probably pick up an African international for a half million. And if he goes, Seabourne would not be too shabby a replacement. Does that give you strength?

So why say we should be PLEASED if we get £1M for Solly? That was YOUR point, though you say £500k is more realistic. Now you have completely contradicted yourself from one post to the next.
    If you post stuff simply to be provocative, then don't be surprised if people tell you you're talking shite

• edited December 2012
    I think .5m for Solly is unrealistic, but I also think 3m is bordering on it. There's little doubt that he is probably the one player in the team that could make the step up to the Premiership, however, any prospective buyer would be taking a gamble on a player who was playing in the 1st division earlier this year and their offer would reflect that.
    The step up from the 1st Div. to the Championship is a considerable one, and the one from there to the Premiership even more so with the likes of Bale, Young, Silva etc bearing down on you.

I'd hate to see him go whatever the price.
  • 3 or 4 million for Solly ? .. he's a decent player .. but be realistic, if we get 1 million we should be well pleased. A 1/2 million is probably nearer reality

If we sold Solly for anything less than £3M plus add-ons there would rightly be uproar amongst the fans.
    Or perhaps if we do sell him for £500K we might play your favourite player Danny Seabourne there instead - you know the bloke you rate as a better defender than Wiggins.
    Give me strength.

Bollox yourself .. Read the rest of the posts before you start ranting. It's not a question of what value Powell and CAFC put on him, I for one would not sell him unless the offer was in excess of (say) 3 million. But I am not in the know as to how much CAFC needs the money. A fire sale might be in order. The issue is what price would any other club be prepared to pay and I don't think many other clubs would pay a lot for him unless they are desperate for a young right back who is untried at a high level. Any club after a full back can probably pick up an African international for a half million. And if he goes, Seabourne would not be too shabby a replacement. Does that give you strength?

So why say we should be PLEASED if we get £1M for Solly? That was YOUR point, though you say £500k is more realistic. Now you have completely contradicted yourself from one post to the next.
    If you post stuff simply to be provocative, then don't be surprised if people tell you you're talking shite

PLEASED to get a million IF we were desperate for the money and decided to sell .. because no club will offer even close to 3 million for Solly .. you really should read the posts more closely and keep calmer, try a few deep breathing exercises
  • Solly won't leave in January.
  • edited December 2012
    Jenkinson went for a million in league 1 without any experience , SOlly has had a season and half in which some of it in the championship.
  • I'd hate to lose Solly but we already have a quality replacement in Wilson. All the cash needs to be reinvested in the midfield...

Give me strength.

PLEASED to get a million IF we were desperate for the money and decided to sell .. because no club will offer even close to 3 million for Solly .. you really should read the posts more closely and keep calmer, try a few deep breathing exercises
    Try posting something that makes sense for a change.

• First time I'd seen Solly play live yesterday and to be honest wasn't overly impressed. Better in the second half. Only a one game view though, but was expecting to be impressed having followed the scores and reviews on here. Wouldn't put him on that showing in the million + bracket. Was that a normal performance from him or below par?

What were you exactly expecting? Thought he had a good game again and his link up play was excellent with Wilson.

• edited December 2012

3 or 4 million for Solly ? .. he's a decent player .. but be realistic, if we get 1 million we should be well pleased. A 1/2 million is probably nearer reality

Give me strength.

Try posting something that makes sense for a change.

• I'd hate to lose Solly but we already have a quality replacement in Wilson. All the cash needs to be reinvested in the midfield...

I could have sworn Wilson had been playing right midfield for us.
    So sell Solly, move Wilson to right back and then we have another gap to plug in our problem area of midfield. Brilliant.

• Sponsored links:

• Chit chat, chit chat. I know this is a discussion forum, and I would never wish to stifle productive debate, but isn't all this 'will he / won't he', how little / how much' conjecture all rather tiresome and non productive?
    This club is on the way up, having hit bottom a fair while ago. We're doing okay. Let's just see what happens.
    Wild speculation achieves nothing. For those with a positive outlook, please consider joining the new CA Supporters' Trust.
  • edited December 2012
    As usual Lincs has made a very good point. Probably, one of his more sensible in fact.
    Sell Solly & replace him with a left footed centre half, namely, Seabourne. (who looked p*ssed in the last game :-)

As it's the season of goodwill to all men, I'll say no more :-)
  • Chit chat, chit chat. I know this is a discussion forum, and I would never wish to stifle productive debate, but isn't all this 'will he / won't he', how little / how much' conjecture all rather tiresome and non productive?
    This club is on the way up, having hit bottom a fair while ago. We're doing okay. Let's just see what happens.
    Wild speculation achieves nothing. For those with a positive outlook, please consider joining the new CA Supporters' Trust.

And what about the miserable buggers? :-0

• As usual Lincs has made a very good point.
    Sell Solly & replace him with Seabourne.

As it's the season of goodwill to all men, I'll say no more :-)

As you often do, to score cheap points, as you so rarely have anything constructive to offer in the way of comment, to quote my old friend mid life crisis .. you are talking bollox .. read the posts and stop misquoting me .. you really are a bore .. keep that end covered up
  • its ok solly is staying! just seen this on a reliable site : 28 Dec 2012 11:48:27
    Charlton manager Chris Powell is set to receive a £4million war chest during the January transfer window as 2 unknown European investors are set to join the board in days.
  • edited December 2012

its ok solly is staying! just seen this on a reliable site : 28 Dec 2012 11:48:27
    Charlton manager Chris Powell is set to receive a £4million war chest during the January transfer window as 2 unknown European investors are set to join the board in days.

what's this 'reliable site' .. UFO spotters weekly ?
  • edited December 2012

Lincs said "And if Solly goes, Seabourne would not be too shabby a replacement."

And what about the miserable buggers? :-0

Thought they were already on ITV
  • its ok solly is staying! just seen this on a reliable site : 28 Dec 2012 11:48:27

Train spotters weekly

• edited December 2012
    Wilson would mean that selling Solly wouldn't be a complete disaster, but we shouldn't forget that they link up very well together. If we are going to sell him, we need to sell him for big money.

How many of us would swap Jenkinson for Solly?....No, I thought not. Every player has a price- but that price often depends on how desperate the buyers are for a player in that position and how desperately the seller needs to sell. I hope we don't need to sell.

If we do sell him - let it work for us.

• Sponsored links:

By its very nature 95% of any discussion forum is unproductive.It's light entertainment with the occasional dark sub-text.

As much as I applaud the formation of CAST, it's not something I'd recommend if you don't wish to be party to 'chit chat, chit chat'

Train spotters weekly

lol .. anoraks rule OK .. IF only what you posted was true .. we've not had 4 million since Dowie/Pardew sold the family silver .. 4 million spent on players would get us promotion never mind stave off relegation
  • Powell has already shown that he can be ruthless and has a good idea of what he needs to do if he has the dosh. £4m in his hands would be powerful money.
  • Sky sports top 10 championship players on the move in January.

Ince - liverpool
    Zaha - arsenal
    Austin ?
    Buttland - Soton
    Will Hughes - Arsenal
    Lee chung-yong - Stoke
    Byram - Everton
    Solly - Wham/Villa
    Mcgugan - Fulham
    Stones - Chelsea
  • Pure lazy journalism by Sky. Zaha isn't going anywhere until the summer, and if they haven't made it. that's from RM, BTW. Solly to Villa will be some journo's memory playing up, confusing him with Stephens.

Muppets
  • Agree about Crystal Palace. Given the position they're in you hang on to your players, even sign another one or two, and gamble on going up. if zaha goes in the window it will be for stupid money, or palace have some deep fundamental financial issues.
    Either way, Crystal Palace may succeed short term, but they can't duck the stadium issue for ever, and thats gonna cost them big bucks.
  • Sorry but RM can't be sure who's coming or going at Palace. I doubt even the Palace board can say that.

He may well be right but don't confuse his opinions on other clubs with definate facts Prague.

I could have sworn Wilson had been playing right midfield for us.
    So sell Solly, move Wilson to right back and then we have another gap to plug in our problem area of midfield. Brilliant.

Wilson is a right back and was at his best there when Solly was moved to left back. I'm sure Powell purchased him in the summer thinking Solly could be on his way.

So I stand by what I say that the midfield needs the investment and also players should be played in their natural positions...
  • Palace would be mad to sell Zaha until the summer earliest. As for Charlton I think our squad needs to be reduced in order to bring in others.
  • lincs - u did say we would do well to get 1mil for both Solly and Stevo. That is bollox. We wouldn't sell for less than 4mil. See what Villa paid for Lowton and Westwood.