Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall vs. Charlton | 1st December 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Team, News and Views

WSSWSS
edited November 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

This will be the 65th meeting between Charlton and the East London Exiles. In that time it is fair to say that Millwall have had the better of the battles. They have 31 wins compared to Charlton’s 11 and Chris Powell’s men will be hoping to emulate the teams of 1996 and 1978 and pick up a rare win in Bermondsey. Off the back of 13 points from a possible 15, the Addicks should be going into the game with confidence and from recent camp murmurings – the impression is that the players know how big this game is going to be.

You also get the feeling that this Charlton team will have a bit more fight about it than previous ones. The 4-0 capitulation back in 2009/10 was a particular low in the Parkinson era with Chris Solly playing at left back, Christian Dailly doing his customary donkey impression and more players hiding than was forgivable. Can you see Chris Powell letting that happen again?

The Team

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Players returning from injury, loan signings, decent form and suspensions are giving Chris Powell some headaches. Danny Seabourne’s return from a one game absence added balance and nous to the back four on against Peterborough but that is cancelled out (and some) by Michael Morrison picking up his fifth yellow card of the campaign in the same game. Powell is likely to opt for the more mobile, ball playing Dorian Dervite in his place due to more game time as opposed to forgotten man Matt Taylor.

Midfield remains a problem whilst the pace and drive of Lawrie Wilson is missing from the team so Bradley Pritchard’s tenacity will remain on the right side of midfield despite the fleeting Danny Green contribution for Yann Kermorgant’s returning goal on Tuesday. The capture of Emmanuelle Frimpong was heralded by many and although there is obvious quality there, he probably is not as fit as we would’ve like and his impact has been tempered by this. He’ll play at The (New) Den though, the game is made for him to be the ultimate hero or the ultimate villain (or a combination of the two depending on what colour shirt you wear) and his partner in midfield crime will be Johnnie Jackson – however harsh that is on Dale Stephens. Kerkar can’t be the shirker either on the left.

Everyone hopes that Danny Haynes will find his hamstrings before 3pm on Saturday as his pace could be vital against Millwall and if they are hanging about with Ricardo Fuller’s – that could be a double boost. Regardless, the return of Yann Kermorgant, the form of Rob Hulse and the option of Bradley Wright-Phillips shows an enviable attacking threat. Could this be when Bradley Wright-Phillips kick starts his season? We’ll have to wait and see on what Chris Powell decides…

The Opposition

As painful as it is to say, Millwall are in incredible form. Unbeaten in the last 12 games, won the last four and won the last three at home. With 20 goals shared between Darius Henderson, Andy Keogh and the in-form Chris Wood the makeshift Charlton defence is going to have to be on top form to stop the threat. Midfielder Liam Trotter also has six goals to his name although it is touch-and-go as to whether he’ll play or not.

Danny Shittu and TOWIE wannabe Josh Wright are likely to face their old club and have been playing well by all accounts. Dany N’Guessan has come off of the bench in the last couple of games as well – let’s hope the age-old curse does not strike once again.

Prediction

A crap record, over 3,500 travelling fans, on a decent run of form and a hero for a manager. Which way is this going to fall? History suggests a defeat – it’s ingrained in many of the older Charlton fans heads but this is a new team, we have a new make-up of support who are not haunted by years and years of hurt. We’re going to be surprised, and surprised well. 1-3.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    I've been following Charlton since 1968 & I have NEVER seen us beat Millwall. We've come close a couple of times, somehow throwing away a 2-0 lead at the old Den with time already up & then being pegged back at the death at the Valley in the recent 4-4 draw.

The good news, however, is that I'm here in Dubai & won't be attending the game!! So at least that gives us a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately, it is only a very small glimmer. Morrison & Wiggins will be badly missed at the back & Haynes is not going to be fit in time. I can see us getting badly beaten again, maybe 3-1. It's going to be another depressing afternoon out in Bermondsey for the travelling Valley hordes.
  • Options
    I feel sick...
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Tomorrow is what makes being a football fan so special. Nerves already kicking in, local derby, beers and piss taking with mates who support both sides, cracking atmosphere and almost sell out away end.

I cant see us keeping a clean sheet but neither will they.

im praying for a win of course but i think a score draw is most likely.

1-1

If we do lose, lets remember this is just game number 20 of 46. It'll be hard to take but not the end of the world.
  • Options
    nerves are starting to kick in now, going to be a tough afternoon at the toolbox addicks to beat the spanners in a hard fought 2-1 win

• Options
    Today's Thursday Gary
  • Options
    will be a cracking game but the Spanners will prevail 1-0.

just to clarify, is the game on Friday or Saturday?
  • Options
    oh shit yeah
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Macronate said:

just to clarify, is the game on Friday or Saturday?

its on saturday

• Options
    There is a massive onus on cort in this game with morro out and it is going to be up to him to organise the defence with devite looking solid but also as if he has the capacity to shirk responsibility. If wiggins was fit he would definatly start but seabournes cb/very defensive left back roots may prove invaluable in an away defence dealing with the loss of morro.

Unfortunately this will leave kerkar even more on his own and I fear this may be the crucial battle of the game with karl henry a very good player on his day, I don't rate kerkar and he is going to have to put in a shift on saturday.

The midfield will not change but cp may be forced into a couple of changes with fullers injury and yann played longer than anticipated against boro. Although quality players individually I think with those two we struggle to get in behind as was the case on tuesday night and the pace of haynes (if fit) would be a big boost...having said that I would happily take a non-existant bwp with yann leading the line if he puts away just one of the big mans flick on

Roll on saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-0
  • Options
    Going to be toughest out of all the teams in the league this is the hardest test of them all at moment.

1-0 Jackson
    COYR
  • Options
    3-0 millwall.
  • Options
    4-4
  • Options
    more so than any other game this season, the score could literally be anything
  • Options
    Can't see us winning this one,1-0 to them.
  • Options
    Only missed 1 mfc v CAFC game (home and away) in the last 40 years.....last season at the rusty toolbox.
    Not going Saturday (unless someone has a free ticket spare).
    2-2 prediction.
  • Options
    2-0 defeat. Morrison is a huge loss. Don't care about game time, I'd definitely have Taylor back in. Dervite will get beaten up by Wood, Henderson or Keogh.
  • Options
    I think their defence will be very worried about our players too. Hard fought local derby 1.1
  • Options
    going for 1-1, but will not rule out a rare win against the spanners 1-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @CAFCofficial
    We have some good news on the injury front coming up within the next 15 minutes or so. (IL) #cafc
  • Options
    Woohoo. Hopefully Haynes and fuller

1-1 if they play.
  • Options
    Fuller or Haynes. Or both?
  • Options
    Heart says best we can hope for is a draw. They have got their scoring boots on added to a fairly tight defence - so suspect they'll win - as long as its not 4-0! Hoping that, just maybe, we can scrape a 2-1. Suspect that will be the scoreline but the other way around...
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2012
    Wilson eyes Lions return?!

@CAFCPlayer
    New on CAFC Player: Video: Wilson eyes Lions return: Watch an interview with the Charlton utility man ahead...
  • Options
    didnt expect that. was hoping for Haynes if im honest.
  • Options
    Was hoping for Haynes too.

Disappointed about Wilson coming back - what else are we going to talk about now we have a right sided midfielder back in the team?
  • Options
    Morro's suspension is a major setback and i can see them scoring. We will put in a decent performance and come home with a point. 2-2
  • Options
    2-2 for me