Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Might not be wise to write off Turkey just yet...

• A 3-0 win is quality at any level, fair play to them.
  • Italians will be quaking in their boots when we scrap a 0-0 against Croatia.
  • All the talk of Italy not having a world class striker etc. 

Immobile is the current golden shoe holder, scoring more goals last year than everyone, including Lewandowski, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Kane, Salah, Messi etc. And that's playing for a side that's only just getting into Europe in a very difficult and defensive Serie A.

He's a very underrated player, and this could be the tournament that he proves just how good he is
  • True, but Italy in knock out tournaments are always hard to beat.
    I can't see us knocking the ball around like the Italians did.
    I don’t think Croatia will be as shit as Turkey.

Croatia coming into the tournament with no much to lose, excellent performance last World Cup and the team is coming to an end age wise. It’s a free shot almost. Turkey are coming into the tournament with full of praise and being tainted as a dark horse and they shit themselves.
  • Why are italy wearing white?
    Turkey were drawn in position A1, Italy were drawn in A2. Technically Turkey at the home team.
    Thanks. Is that a new wank rule then that away team must wear away shirt even if no clash?
    It's always been like that - no red v blue. It's for those watching in black and white.
    I don’t think Croatia will be as shit as Turkey.

Croatia coming into the tournament with no much to lose, excellent performance last World Cup and the team is coming to an end age wise. It’s a free shot almost. Turkey are coming into the tournament with full of praise and being tainted as a dark horse and they shit themselves.
    To be fair that was the most unItalian Italian performance I've seen. Tactically Turkey looked lost. 
  • Italy look disconcertingly formidable. 

A draining evening for Turkey, which will hopefully help Wales next Wednesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Italy looked very good, Barella was excellent,Spinazolla aswell.
  • edited June 2021
    Thought Turkey were pathetic. Barely ventured forward even when losing and couldn't get any foothold in the game. Looked like they'd given up at times. 

Think we have better players than Italy going forwards, but what I'd give to have Chiellini and Bonucci at the back. 
  • edited June 2021
    Apologies everyone I didn't re-read my comments before posting, my finger or brain must have slipped it should say 8/1. Doh! Mind you I had drunk some of my homebrew beer during the game and it's 8.5% proof!
  • Often opening games of tournaments are a bit boring but I thought thanks to Italy that was a good game to watch. They passed the ball around and looked in great form although that may have been helped by a poor Turkey performance. Mancini certainly done a great job turning the round the last few years
  • One of the few times I've enjoyed watching Italy play. Let's hope attacking intent continues in the tournament.
  • Italy did look strong all over the park. Particularly impressed with their movement, control of the tempo and ball retention. A little like watching City when they are in the mood. In Spinazzola and Insigne they look really good down the left.

If I had one concern it's how their defence would cope with balls in behind. That said in Donnarumma they have a keeper who's more than comfortable coming for balls outside the box. Times last night he was playing sweeper.

Turkey were massively disappointing, that's true, but we would all be very happy had England put in that performance.

Good start to the tournament! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    was up town for dinner last night and there was a fan park next to Tower Bridge with big screen, bar, food outlet etc. Was hundreds there. Walking back to London Bridge around 10.30 there was literally thousands out and about, every bar and outside area packed with people. Get off the train and there are groups of lads singing 3 Lions and the Southgate Atomic Kitten song (cringe).

Massive buzz around, really had a 1996 feel to it all. 
    Probably a relevant post for the Covid thread too. Thousands of I presume under 30’s out and about en masse is the exact demographic for a spike. 

Thought Italy looked very good.
  • was up town for dinner last night and there was a fan park next to Tower Bridge with big screen, bar, food outlet etc. Was hundreds there. Walking back to London Bridge around 10.30 there was literally thousands out and about, every bar and outside area packed with people. Get off the train and there are groups of lads singing 3 Lions and the Southgate Atomic Kitten song (cringe).

Massive buzz around, really had a 1996 feel to it all. 
    my wife is a games maker / steward at that fan park next week (potters field) - she had free tickets for the scotland game at trafalgar square next friday but can't make it - might not be a bad thing to give that one a miss - can see a lot of ticketless jocks turning up there 
  • edited June 2021
    So my fellow little Englanders are you bitter and twisted like me and want the Welsh to fail miserably or are you a grown up who can rise above the sheep posse and wish them well , come on Switzerland 
    Will all be cheering on Switzerland at the BBQ today. Treating it like Switzerland are playing Nigels or Millwall and will be living and breathing every tackle. Come on you Swiss.

Yesterday result will make that group wide open as anyone can finish second.
  • SamB09 said:
    Oztumer just wasn’t good enough, nothing to do with his height as insigne has shown tonight.
    On last night's evidence he's probably got an international call-up coming 
  • So my fellow little Englanders are you bitter and twisted like me and want the Welsh to fail miserably or are you a grown up who can rise above the sheep posse and wish them well , come on Switzerland 
    Will all be cheering on Switzerland at the BBQ today. Treating it like Switzerland are playing Nigels or Millwall and will be living and breathing every tackle. Come on you Swiss.

Yesterday result will make that group wide open as anyone can finish second.
    Very passionate or anger issues hmmm  :D
  • well, last night Turkey looked like what a native New Yoiker might call a bunch o' Toikeys
  • It shows you that international managers can be naive. It is fine defending deep but there was no outlet. When the ball went forwards there was no support. Italy were struggling trying to pass their way through originally, but when they realised they were relative safe from a Turkey goal, it allowed them to push higher and a scrappy opener opened Turkey up.

I suspect Turkey went into the game happy with a 1-0 defeat in the context of the Group they are in but that backfired. I can understand a side like San Marino setting up like they did but Turkey should be better than that. Having said that, well done Mancini and Italy. The result was deserved. 
  • edited June 2021
    Being half Italian I want England to win about 75% and Italy 25%. I feel more English than Italian. I haven't put the flags out this year, but in the past I have had the England flag out and replaced it with the Italian one when we get knocked out. After we stuff Croatia, I'll find the flags in the loft! I am trying a new approach this year. It is funny how you can think that when you put the flags out may impact on the result! 

I recall watching us at Sellout and I was reading the programme as I walked to the ground and fell into a hedge. I think we won 4-0. Anyway, I made the point of falling into that hedge on purpose for a couple of games until the magic powers wore off and we lost!