Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• That is why I think they would have been happy with a narrow defeat. It didn't make sense otherwise. It wasn't that Italy pushed them back, they sat back tactically from the off.
  • I've gone for Portugal or Italy to win the thing

I did the predictions and came out with Italy beating Portugal in the final. I'm just going to enjoy the tournament and not get as stressed as watching Cafc. I see no reason England  can't have a good tournament but we would need everyone on their A game and the rub of the green.

Bellingham is a cracking young player but because he is so keen he can pick up yellow cards, and he is still 17 for a couple more weeks.
  • Think England are decent but we don’t seem to be able to compete against the really top teams. I’m expecting quarters and Semis if everything goes really well but I don’t see us holding a candle to France or Italy. 
  • edited June 2021
    Yeah doubting whether Italy will win it given their overall performance tonight... If they had a Kane or Mbappe I think it would be a different matter 
    I thought for their first game Italy were fluid  despite the lack of ambition by Turkey who just froze on the night.
    TBF, Ciro Immobile has scored 123 goals in 177 games for Lazio and 14 in 47 for Italy.
    Many games for Italy were in a defensive set up. 
  • I think England would beat Italy at the moment. They looked good last night but the Turks let them set the tempo of the game whereas hopefully England wouldnt. We will come unstuck when we meet someone like France, Germany or Portugal 
  • I still think it’s hard to know much about Italy as it stands. They looked good second half but I think Turkey put in one of the worst Euro performances I’ve ever seen.

Whether that’s down to Italy’s brilliance I’m sure we’ll soon find out. But to me it felt more like Turkey trying to play way too negative and getting found out.
  • switzerland wales draw
    denmark
    belgium 

would be my picks for today will only likely watch the wales game. 
  • No Charlton connections start for Wales

Gunter | Lockyer | Williams | Levitt all on the bench this afternoon.
  • edited June 2021
    Laddick01 said:
    I still think it’s hard to know much about Italy as it stands. They looked good second half but I think Turkey put in one of the worst Euro performances I’ve ever seen.

Whether that’s down to Italy’s brilliance I’m sure we’ll soon find out. But to me it felt more like Turkey trying to play way too negative and getting found out.
    Italy’s qualifying was impressive. They concede very few goals. That said. The opposition wasn’t very high quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bale as a player seems the opposite of Giggs. He seems obsessed with playing for his country but less motivated by club football, whereas I'm struggling to remember Giggs doing much for Wales
  • edited June 2021
    I always support Scotland and Wales, even though I've never got anything but stick from Scottish and Weldg fans.

Always liked Kiefer Moore whenever I saw him play against Charlton one of those players which was always out on loan in league 1. Nice to see players like him get a chance on a big stage to show his ability. 

Always liked Kiefer Moore whenever I saw him play against Charlton one of those players which was always out on loan in league 1. Nice to see players like him get a chance on a big stage to show his ability. 
    Great effort from him... Switzerland do look the better team here
  • Cracking save that from Moore. 
  • Deserved a goal that flick but fair play the keeper. 
  • The BBC Audio choice on the red button has been a godsend. Managed to avoid listening to Jenas last night and Savage this afternoon. Much better. 
  • Lack of a big crowd in this game hurts it. Feels like COVID football again. 
  • Tutt-Tutt said:
    The BBC Audio choice on the red button has been a godsend. Managed to avoid listening to Jenas last night and Savage this afternoon. Much better. 
    Savage is an awful commentator. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    Lack of a big crowd in this game hurts it. Feels like COVID football again. 
    A cracking atmosphere in the historic footballing city of Baku...........
  • Huge let off for Wales! 
  • cafctom said:
    Ridiculous how Baku is holding such events now
  • cafctom said:
    Commentators even mentioned that tickets were available could be purchased by locals for £25
  • Baku allowing 50% capacity by the way. Here’s a picture of the attendance seconds before kick off.

• Can we hope that these attendance numbers at least shames UEFA into never giving major tournament football to countries that don’t care? Too much to ask? Probably...
    Why no use of VAR? Clearly shirt pulling.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:
    The BBC Audio choice on the red button has been a godsend. Managed to avoid listening to Jenas last night and Savage this afternoon. Much better. 
    Savage is an awful commentator. 
    Awful as a radio presenter as well.

Wales have been very poor. Switzerland poor up front.

I doubt Italy will be worried watching this.
    VAR is in use
  • edited June 2021
    Huge let off for Wales! 
    VAR is in use
    Yeah, VAR was used last night for a possible handball, but today when the Welsh defender almost pulled the shirt off the player he was marking, nothing.