Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    I don't think there is an obvious weaker half of the draw, unlike in 2018, so it's more important to play well, beat the Czechs and stay at Wembley. 
    No quarter finals are at Wembley so it's only the second round game. Either finish top and play a very strong side at wembley, finish second probably play Sweden (though it could easily be Spain or anyone in that group) in Copenhagen. I'm not sure what I'd prefer really, keep changing my mind each time I look.
    The game in Copenhagen will be against Spain if Sweden beat Poland, which I think is likely. Bookies discounting the Swedish odds because Poland need a result but Poland are pants when it matters in these big tournaments.

Theoretical path if we draw and land in the top half: Spain -> France -> Belgium/Italy -> Netherlands/Germany/Portugal

Theoretical path if we win and go into the bottom half: Germany/Portugal -> Sweden -> Netherlands -> Belgium/Italy/France

just to clarify for my little brain, are the groups decided by head to head first rather than goal difference? 
    Yes
    That's what I thought but that's not what I found when looking it up earlier:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/euro-2021-how-best-third-3rd-place-teams-advance-groups/6ce5esvedrun17nh2ghj0ion8
    That's how they rank all the third placed teams, one from each group. Which makes sense because head to head doesn't exist, they haven't played each other.

The groups themselves go by head to head, then by goal difference etc.
    Ok, so best if we lose and finish 3rd. Then we'll get Poland, Austria, Sweden and Australia.
  • Options
    How are we through based on last nights results 
    Because the third place teams in two Groups have three points and we have four. As only two third place teams miss out, it can't be a team with four points after last night's results. We cannot finish lower than third in our Group as the two teams that could potentially catch us are playing each other,
    And this is another unfair aspect of the format. Switzerland, for example, didn't know that before their game but we do. It's best to be in the last groups.
  • Options
    They are not going to go back to 16 teams so I think they should increase to 32 teams and have 8 groups with 2 going through from each group.

It gives more opportunity for lesser nations like Scotland to compete at a tournament but ensures you need to do more in your group to get through and the route is set out already.  

• Options
    edited June 2021
    We were through as soon as the final whistle went on Friday. With only two teams in third place not making it, it was always going to be 3 points and negative goal difference that didn't make it. Denmark have finished 2nd with 3 points which is great in the Circumstances but bizarre never the less.

• Options
    Yep England qualified after 2 games.
    I'm hoping for a draw tomorrow and then progression to the QF at least.
    (I know I'm in the minority and most want a win and us to face France or Germany, maybe Portugal).
    Are you really in the minority?
    I'm with you, in fact even a minor defeat would be better than a win imo.
    Terrible way of thinking. No footballer or fan should prefer defeat. And even then, if we finish second we have Italy, Belgium, France all on that side. 
  • Options
    For those wanting a draw or loss tonight to make second round easier, you only have to think of Euro 2016 when everyone thought we had an easier game against Iceland. 
    Agree. Or even last week when we played one of the poniest teams in the competition. An easier game doesnt mean we are through to the qtrs so might aswell go out win tonight and just deal with the next game when it comes.
  • Options
    We do need to find some momentum and tonight would be a good place to start.
  • Options
    Extra tickets to be released for semis and final apparently
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    I don't think there is an obvious weaker half of the draw, unlike in 2018, so it's more important to play well, beat the Czechs and stay at Wembley. 
    No quarter finals are at Wembley so it's only the second round game. Either finish top and play a very strong side at wembley, finish second probably play Sweden (though it could easily be Spain or anyone in that group) in Copenhagen. I'm not sure what I'd prefer really, keep changing my mind each time I look.
    The game in Copenhagen will be against Spain if Sweden beat Poland, which I think is likely. Bookies discounting the Swedish odds because Poland need a result but Poland are pants when it matters in these big tournaments.

Theoretical path if we draw and land in the top half: Spain -> France -> Belgium/Italy -> Netherlands/Germany/Portugal

Theoretical path if we win and go into the bottom half: Germany/Portugal -> Sweden -> Netherlands -> Belgium/Italy/France

just to clarify for my little brain, are the groups decided by head to head first rather than goal difference? 
    Yes
    That's what I thought but that's not what I found when looking it up earlier:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/euro-2021-how-best-third-3rd-place-teams-advance-groups/6ce5esvedrun17nh2ghj0ion8
    That's how they rank all the third placed teams, one from each group. Which makes sense because head to head doesn't exist, they haven't played each other.

The groups themselves go by head to head, then by goal difference etc.
    Ok, so best if we lose and finish 3rd. Then we'll get Poland, Austria, Sweden and Australia.
    Sure but if you want a serious answer for a moment. 

Say we did end up coming third in the group, we’d be playing round of 16 against the Netherlands 75% of the time, with a quarter final against Wales/Denmark OR the winner of Group E (Sweden or Spain) 25% of the time with a quarter final against Czechs / Group F runner up.

Only four combinations left after Switzerland and England are both guaranteed two of the best 3rds: ABCD ACDE ACDF ADEF. 

Three of those have Group D third against the Netherlands and the other one doesn’t.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taking things back into the realm of actually likely, that means that as long as there’s a winner at Hampden today, they are 75% likely to face the Netherlands in the next round. If it’s draw, both the Scots and Croatia are out.
  • Options
    I can't see Scotland beating Croatia, which is the only way third place could be a possibility. They celebrated a draw too much. They may have deserved more but they got a draw so not much to jump about for unless you are happy being a loser :)
  • Options
    ads said:
    Extra tickets to be released for semis and final apparently

The crowd capacity at Wembley will be raised to more than 60,000 for the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020, says the UK government.

It means the stadium will be at 75% capacity for the games.

The increase will also see the largest crowds assembled for a sporting event in the UK in more than 15 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57546042

• Options
    Well blow me down, they were threatening to hold it in Hungary with a 57,000 capacity.
  • Options
    To be fair there has only been one Tournament where England have gotten maximum points from the initial group stage so the fact we've drawn one doesnt change much historically 
  • Options
    For those wanting a draw or loss tonight to make second round easier, you only have to think of Euro 2016 when everyone thought we had an easier game against Iceland. 
    I think that result was the result of disunity in the squad just a day or two after the referendum. Brexit caused a lot of disagreements and I'd be surprised if the England players weren't affected.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    I think that result was the result of disunity in the squad just a day or two after the referendum. Brexit caused a lot of disagreements and I'd be surprised if the England players weren't affected.
    WTF ! 
    I think Jimmy’s on a wind up or he’s been on the vino, which is what they do this time of day in France  🍷 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting team ... Don't understand Sancho not getting a look in though ! 
  • Options
    I used my wildcard thing on the fantasy league this week, as I thought loads of my team would be rested etc.

Without exception, every time I chose player A over player B, player B has scored.

I came so close to putting in Shaquiri, Damsgaard, Maehle and Wijnaldum who've scored 6 so far this week.

Oh and I took out Lukaku as I thought they'd rest him.
    First decent shout of the match week - Perisic. 
  • Options
    Scotland's heroes currently losing to Croatia. Must have used everything after their fantastic nil nil win against us
    To have earned a whole point in three games must mean so much more when that point came in such heroic circumstances! 
  • Options
    Scotland's heroes currently losing to Croatia. Must have used everything after their fantastic nil nil win against us

• Options
    So 8 clean sheets in our last 9 games and not conceded for some 600 minutes. That is the way Southgate will continue to play until such time as he finds us in a position where we have to chase the game. It's Mourinho's pragmatism over Guardiola's adventure. Whether that will work against the best teams remains to be seen.