Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Well that’s fucking shit!

3 games, 1 point, 1 goal simply isn’t good enough if you want to get out of the group’s 

back to supporting whoever you pricks are playing 😉

The Scotch invented scotch to drown their sorrows after being beaten by their effeminate southern neighbours again.  Unfortunately skirts and Graeme Sounsess teeth don't win tournaments
  • Options
    Well that’s fucking shit!

3 games, 1 point, 1 goal simply isn’t good enough if you want to get out of the group’s 

back to supporting whoever you pricks are playing 😉
    Come on mate don’t be like that. You will get another chance in 20 odd years.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    For anyone that needs help keeping track of the third placed teams etc...

Round of 16 fixtures:

26 June:
    In Amsterdam, Wales will play Denmark
    In London, Italy will play Austria

27 June:
    In Seville, Belgium will play Switzerland (25%), Group E third (50%) or Group F third (25%).
    In Budapest, Netherlands will play Czech Republic (75%) or Group F third (25%).

28 June:
    In Copenhagen, Croatia will play the runner up of Group E.
    In Bucharest, the winner of Group F will play Switzerland (75%) or Ukraine (25%).

29 June: 
    In London, England will play the runner up of Group F.
    In Glasgow, the winner of Group E will play Finland (25%), Ukraine (50%) or Czech Republic (25%).

To take this a step further, it's fairly safe to assume Group F will have three teams qualify based on the market odds available (shorter than 1/10 on both Germany and Portugal).

This narrows the possibilities down from 4 to only 2 (between Ukraine and Group E for the last qualifying spot, sorry Finland). From there, the third placed possibilities look like this:

In Seville, Belgium will play Group E third (50%) or Group F third (50%).

In Budapest, Netherlands will play Czech Republic (50%) or Group F third (50%).

In Bucharest, the winner of Group F will play Switzerland.

In Glasgow, the winner of Group E will play Ukraine (50%) or Czech Republic (50%).
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Does anybody play more boring football than England?
  • Options
    Maybe Scotland will become a better team when they look determined and frustrated getting a draw with England rather than celebrating like they have won something! They certainly edged the Wembley match but look who tops the Group and who is bottom!
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Portugal were boring in 2016 and Greece were really boring in 2004.
  • Options
    Maybe Scotland will become a better team when they look determined and frustrated getting a draw with England rather than celebrating like they have won something! They certainly edged the Wembley match but look who tops the Group and who is bottom!
    I said that to a mate, England were dreadful, the Scots thought they were great and celebrating,yet it was 0-0.all they did well was stop us playing. Didn’t really get all the over excitement, funny ole game!!.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Oh yeah forgot them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How did Finland finish ahead of Russia

I thought H2H was used ahead of Goal Difference so Russia should have finished ahead based on their 1-0 win? 
  • Options

I thought H2H was used ahead of Goal Difference so Russia should have finished ahead based on their 1-0 win? 
    Because Denmark, Russia and Finland all beat each other, the head to head is equal. So it is then decided on GD.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    And England won the World Cup with a very narrow formation for that day and age nicknamed "The Wingless Wonders".  Southgate's putting together a formation that is made for a Cup run. That is the nature of this competition and as we keep saying it is extremely difficult to win from behind.

The end will justify the means if we  our crowned Champions. But Southgate will get absolutely pelted if we go out with a wimp. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
    2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question;
    3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
    4. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 3, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 3 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams who are still level to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5 to 10 apply;
    5. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
    6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
    7. Higher number of wins in all group matches;
    8. If on the last round of the group stage, two teams are facing each other and each has the same number of points, as well as the same number of goals scored and conceded, and the score finishes level in their match, their ranking is determined by a penalty shoot out. (This criterion is not used if more than two teams have the same number of points.);
    9. Lower disciplinary points total in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
    10. Higher position in the European Qualifiers overall ranking.

Tiebreaker 2 goal difference:

- Denmark +2:
    Denmark 0-1 Finland, Denmark 4-1 Russia
    - Finland 0:
    Denmark 0-1 Finland, Russia 1-0 Finland
    - Russia -2:
    Russia 1-0 Finland, Denmark 4-1 Russia

Results against Belgium are irrelevant to the calculation.
  • Options
    If England win the tournament but the football is not free flowing, expansive, FIFA 21 style stuff then we'll still have half a country of whiners.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    England now hold the record for least goals scored while winning a group (two).

If Sweden draw 0-0 tomorrow while Slovakia and Spain play out a draw themselves, Sweden will have won their group while scoring only one goal from the penalty spot. Southgate would be proud.
  • Options
    Harsh or pretty much the stark reality?

• Options
    If you are gonna have the under 21s finishing bottom you have also got to have us finishing top this tournament 
  • Options

Where is the bit about beating Spain and World Cup finalists to reach the Nations League Finals where we finished third?
    Don’t you start letting the full facts get in the way of a certain narrative, whatever next………….😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Where is the bit about beating Spain and World Cup finalists to reach the Nations League Finals where we finished third?

Not to mention getting the players in the right mentality to actually win not one, but two penalty shootouts, probably our most successful Manager with them. It was also only Sweden that we beat in the QFs but we'd only beaten them once previously since 1968.

Id argue he's less of a fraud than Chris Coleman
    Granted that win in Spain, the first half was the best 45 minutes i think i've seen from an England side since we beat Holland at Euro 96.

But was the Nations league that good overall? Fair point we did beat Spain, but we also lost to them. In the finals, we then lost to Holland (only scoring from a penalty) and defensively we were a shambles, then drew 0-0 with Switzerland. Out of 6 games, we won 2.

Ultimately all it proves is what we already know, we're hard to beat because only 1 of those 6 games was lost in 90 minutes.
  • Options

Yeh but don’t forget these delights mate 😉;

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Bournesnr said:

Did you find the first half boring last night ?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I'd take Germany over France or Portugal. Pre tournament I expected us to concede a few goals as I dont really rate our centre backs but score a few goals because we have exciting attacking players.

I couldn't have been more wrong so far but could see us nicking a 1-0 against the Germans.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    se9addick said:
    I don’t think Southgate is a fraud (England just won their group FFS), but the major pre-tournament fear - that he wouldn’t be able to get the most out of England’s prodigious attacking talent - is looking worryingly accurate. 

It’s looking like Germany in the next round and I think that will be tough, but winnable, for England and I wouldn’t panic just yet. 

I would prefer Germany over France or Portugal because Hummel's could be done for pace by Saka, Sterling etc but I feel France v Portugal could be a draw and Germany beat Hungary so the French would visit Wembley.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I don’t think Southgate is a fraud (England just won their group FFS), but the major pre-tournament fear - that he wouldn’t be able to get the most out of England’s prodigious attacking talent - is looking worryingly accurate. 

It’s looking like Germany in the next round and I think that will be tough, but winnable, for England and I wouldn’t panic just yet. 

I would prefer Germany over France or Portugal because Hummel's could be done for pace by Sake, Sterling etc but I feel France v Portugal could be a draw and Germany beat Hungary so the French would visit Wembley.
    Ply the Germans with booze before the game, good thinking!