Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Voice of The Valley returns - Feb 9th, 2013

Comments

• Options
    The wrong bus story cracked me up, great read hope there will be more to come and please bring back echoes where people can write in some pure gold there in the past.
  • Options
    Ordered online. £2.60 is an absolute steal.

Any chance you could set up a subscription service?
  • Options
    Didn't have time to read mine yesterday but have just finished doing so. An interesting and enjoyable read - congrats to Airman and the other contributors. Please just watch that the occasional prodding of the senior hierarchy doesn't come across as motivated by personal bitterness - that would put me off, and no doubt some others also. I'll be a regular buyer for sure.
  • Options
    Can only be honest, have skim read and only read about a third of it properly so far, but a bit disappointed to be honest.

Felt in many ways I had been transported back to circa 1994. The presentation, the writing style, the subject matter etc. Once the warm nostalgic flow wore off, it felt (to me) a little too heavy without anything hard hitting, and a bit dated.

If the approach was to test the market, and strike a little warning shot to Slater, Jimi, and PT Prothero of where it could potentially go, then I think it achieved that well.

As I said to Rick when purchasing, I do genuinely wish you the best of luck with it, and as someone who has always wanted to do a fanzine, I can see and appreciate the considerable amount of work that must have to go into it.

• Options

Quite exciting really, reminds me of Nelson Mandela getting released from jail in 1990!

Please tell me that was a "joke".
  • Options
    I think you need to put some In the cons a little scamp wanted one and was not happy not that he is normally happy to get his own and told a fat one to go get him One which was refused

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Off_it said:

Quite exciting really, reminds me of Nelson Mandela getting released from jail in 1990!

Please tell me that was a "joke".
    He's not wrong. Saw people in the club shop just walking out with whatever they could get their hands on.straight past the tills.
    When security asked one fella what the hell he thought he was doing, he just replied "Rick Everitt is free!"

;-(
  • Options
    I'll add, certainly worth the cover price, and good to see back
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Didn't have time to read mine yesterday but have just finished doing so. An interesting and enjoyable read - congrats to Airman and the other contributors. Please just watch that the occasional prodding of the senior hierarchy doesn't come across as motivated by personal bitterness - that would put me off, and no doubt some others also. I'll be a regular buyer for sure.

ps - really great to read Kevin Nolan and Peter Cordwell again. I had forgotten just what excellent writers they are.
  • Options

I think you need to put some In the cons a little scamp wanted one and was not happy not that he is normally happy to get his own and told a fat one to go get him One which was refused

Sales staff were reluctant to leave the Lib for Con.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Regardless of what people make of the content - and there are bound to be a variety of views - one thing we learned today is that there is still an appetite for a printed fanzine. Thanks to everyone who bought. Sales were well into four figures and pretty comparable with what I'd have expected in the 1990s.

Ah, but if you're using the same tried and tested formula as the club use for ticket sales, that'll be around three actual sales with the rest being comps left in magazine racks in Doctors' waiting rooms :-) (Bought mine BTW.)
  • Options

Plenty of revelations coming down the track. The Voice isn't the place to break them, but I will certainly be reporting them when they come.

AB
    Can you please explain why The Voice isn't the right place and which place is the right place.

I'd imagine that by the time anything interesting gets reported in the VoTV that it'll be all over the internet and especially sites like this/Into the Valley making the VoTV look a bit out of date.

Good luck with the re-launch Rick, along with the Trust we need some independent sources of news and information that can report on whatever's going on with a bit of clarity and insight.

• Options
    I can see what AFKA means about it being a bit dated.

The counter to that would be that it was the first issue so was going to rely on old faces with old styles.

I liked the fact the cover was the same style and nostalgia does sell. Brand recognition I think WSS, Kap and Prague would call it.

With time I hope it attracts new "young gunslingers" as writers, a letters page and a more modern feel.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

With time I hope it attracts new "young gunslingers" as writers, a letters page and a more modern feel.

I'd potentially be up for that. I've written for websites before, have old blogs that I can link and go to a fair few games.

I've ordered my copy online so will have a read through and can perhaps come up with an idea or two.

• Options
    Can we have a hooligans corner?

:-)
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Plenty of revelations coming down the track. The Voice isn't the place to break them, but I will certainly be reporting them when they come.

AB
    Can you please explain why The Voice isn't the right place and which place is the right place.

I'd imagine that by the time anything interesting gets reported in the VoTV that it'll be all over the internet and especially sites like this/Into the Valley making the VoTV look a bit out of date.

Good luck with the re-launch Rick, along with the Trust we need some independent sources of news and information that can report on whatever's going on with a bit of clarity and insight.

I'm not going to do anything which may have the potential to compromise any legal proceedings.
  • Options
    Airman, any news on whether or not you are able to ship a copy of VoTV to those Addicks based overseas? PDF format is fine.
  • Options
    Weren't on sale at Lansdowne Mews entrance - so had to search around to find out where they were on sale.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Weren't on sale at Lansdowne Mews entrance - so had to search around to find out where they were on sale.

I was lucky that Large bought me a copy (don;t worry, i've paid him back) from Corrina around the back of the North Stand, but I hope in future someone can sell it up at the Lansdowne Mews entrance as a lot of fans do go in that way.

As Fanny said, not a lot on TV last night so i mamged to read almost all of my copy - some very interesting articles by AB and PV and I have to disagree with a few posters on here as I liked the content & style and reads as it should - as a fanzine, although I disagree with AB & hope that there is a letters page in the future.

• Options
    Great to see it back, but in todays instant media world! un less you have genuine exclusive material keeping it current and relevant it will be a challenge going forward for it not to appear dated. Anything of note is discuses
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apologies,discussed here
  • Options
    Will it be on sale at Hull?
  • Options

Great to see it back, but in todays instant media world! un less you have genuine exclusive material keeping it current and relevant it will be a challenge going forward for it not to appear dated. Anything of note is discuses

fair point ...but I would still buy it ...can still be relevant even in such circumstances ...print may be very useful for 'campaigns' and as a rallying point
  • Options

Nadou said:

I was lucky that Large bought me a copy (don;t worry, i've paid him back) from Corrina around the back of the North Stand, but I hope in future someone can sell it up at the Lansdowne Mews entrance as a lot of fans do go in that way.

As Fanny said, not a lot on TV last night so i mamged to read almost all of my copy - some very interesting articles by AB and PV and I have to disagree with a few posters on here as I liked the content & style and reads as it should - as a fanzine, although I disagree with AB & hope that there is a letters page in the future.

We had to make a bit of a decision on Lansdowne Mews, knowing we would lose a few sales by not doing it. There will be letters pages in future and plenty of scope for other contributions but I wanted to keep this one under wraps until it was done, so it was just not possible this time.

• Options

Will it be on sale at Hull?

Not sure yet.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

So, did any beans get spilt?

I think you're thinking of another thread on here about countdown .
  • Options

Can only be honest, have skim read and only read about a third of it properly so far, but a bit disappointed to be honest.

Felt in many ways I had been transported back to circa 1994. The presentation, the writing style, the subject matter etc. Once the warm nostalgic flow wore off, it felt (to me) a little too heavy without anything hard hitting, and a bit dated.

If the approach was to test the market, and strike a little warning shot to Slater, Jimi, and PT Prothero of where it could potentially go, then I think it achieved that well.

As I said to Rick when purchasing, I do genuinely wish you the best of luck with it, and as someone who has always wanted to do a fanzine, I can see and appreciate the considerable amount of work that must have to go into it.

Agree with this. To coin a well worn Charlton Life phrase it left me a little underwhelmed.

Having said that it was far more readable than the match day prog (which incidently I haven't bought for about 4 years).

Anyone else notice the slight dig from the official club Twitter feed.
  • Options
    This one?

@CAFCOfficial Valley Review getting a good mention via Sully. He spoke to the only matchday magazine that matters this week and its a good read (GH) #CAFC

I thought Airman has a good relationship with the comms department so I'm sure it's just 'banter'.
  • Options
    I did say slight dig......as you say, doubt its anything sinister.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    WSS said:

This one?

@CAFCOfficial Valley Review getting a good mention via Sully. He spoke to the only matchday magazine that matters this week and its a good read (GH) #CAFC

I thought Airman has a good relationship with the comms department so I'm sure it's just 'banter'.

Correct. I thought the Flanagan piece in the programme was very good, BTW.