Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Voice of The Valley returns - Feb 9th, 2013

Comments

• Options
    Yup, it was a good read
  • Options
    I'm 22 so was a bit too young to appreciate Voice of the Valley when it last came out.

Really enjoyed my first issue yesterday. Found it genuinely informative. Was great to have a fanzine to buy at and read after the match. In recent years I've always felt there was room for one.

I have learnt a little bit about VOTV over the years but was really inspired to learn of its history in influencing and reporting the club, as well as energized and comforted by the presence of inquisitive and passionate fans still present.

I do think there are many younger Charlton fans like myself who are getting to the age where they are beginning to gain a greater understanding of how a football club works and developing an interest and commitment to the club that goes beyond just watching the games. Perhaps the Red Division is an example of this? I definitely think there is an appetite amongst younger fans for fanzine culture (look at the success of STAND Against Modern Football as an example) at Charlton as much as anywhere. A few young bloggers who I'm sure would be interested in contributing and helping VOTV - maybe even graphic designers to work on the design?
  • Options

I'm 22 so was a bit too young to appreciate Voice of the Valley when it last came out.

Really enjoyed my first issue yesterday. Found it genuinely informative. Was great to have a fanzine to buy at and read after the match. In recent years I've always felt there was room for one.

I have learnt a little bit about VOTV over the years but was really inspired to learn of its history in influencing and reporting the club, as well as energized and comforted by the presence of inquisitive and passionate fans still present.

I do think there are many younger Charlton fans like myself who are getting to the age where they are beginning to gain a greater understanding of how a football club works and developing an interest and commitment to the club that goes beyond just watching the games. Perhaps the Red Division is an example of this? I definitely think there is an appetite amongst younger fans for fanzine culture (look at the success of STAND Against Modern Football as an example) at Charlton as much as anywhere. A few young bloggers who I'm sure would be interested in contributing and helping VOTV - maybe even graphic designers to work on the design?

Have you joined the Charlton Supporters Trust ? By doing so you would be making a statement that you are committed to the long-term future of the club and supporting the people who have got the trust off the ground and who are now beginning to engage with the owners and senior staff. It is easy to join at CASTrust.org and you would be very welcome.
  • Options
    Pico said:

Have you joined the Charlton Supporters Trust ? By doing so you would be making a statement that you are committed to the long-term future of the club and supporting the people who have got the trust off the ground and who are now beginning to engage with the owners and senior staff. It is easy to join at CASTrust.org and you would be very welcome.
    Pico, I have joined yeah! But I agree totally with your sentiment, CAST is an exciting development
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Quite exciting really, reminds me of Nelson Mandela getting released from jail in 1990!

Please tell me that was a "joke".
    Oh, do behave yourself!

I love Mandela as much as anyone but he sure ain't no Rick Everitt.......:)
  • Options
    I love reading any old charlton chuff and that was more enjoyable to read than the programme and websites
    Not sure how viable it will be going forward cos I'm not sure how many Charlton nut nuts there are out there who will wanna read stuff that will prolly be dated by the time it goes on sale
    good luck with it
  • Options
    Rick, can we have a reprint of the first VOTV for those of us unfortunate not to have one? The nostalgia, the history and the memories would be great for all, especially younger fans who are interested. Fantastic to see it back.
  • Options
    "But he is not we and I is not him" Hmmm.
  • Options
    Nice to see it back, but hopefully it'll broaden its agenda a bit as time goes on.
  • Options
    Can I order one to be sent to France? I looked at the link but only p&p in the UK was available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can I order one to be sent to France? I looked at the link but only p&p in the UK was available.

Fixed this now. It seems to be a known issue with Paypal that you can't set up international postage and have to find ways round it.
  • Options
    Are there any pictures in it and can we have a spot the ball comp? Oh and nearly forgot...a colouring in page too.
  • Options

Nice to see it back, but hopefully it'll broaden its agenda a bit as time goes on.

First issue (OK, Issue 105), I'm sure it will grow & grow, with more contributors and a letters section, an alternative to the PR driven, sanatised and non controversial matchday programme.
    Thats not a dig at the programme either, just how it is and has to be.
  • Options
    not forgetting CAS Trust News, next edition out later this month/early March
  • Options
    How long has The Skipper been lodging at Irving Towers?

Long enough, judging by the photo on the back, to have unfettered access to the cardigan cupboard!

:-)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I’ve been really enjoying reading the return of voice of the valley. My dad is also very pleased that you didn't discard the paper form for a more up to date internet blog.

Keep the good work up lads.
  • Options
    oh and i very much liked your description of what a drink by palace would be.
  • Options
    really enjoyed it and great to see it back, buy a programme sometimes if my daughter asks for one - but would always buy a VOTV.

played football against Steve Dixon yesterday and he said he'd already had a few comments with regards his photo back in his younger days.
  • Options
    It's good to see VOTV back, going forward there probably is a space in the market for something that can go into issues in some depth.

2 suggestions
    1) Bring back the front cover 'funny' . I remember the one from around the 1992 general election, with the headline "Kinnock for No 10", and Neil saying "No chance boyo, they'll never drop Garry Nelson!".
    2) Keep the tone and content balanced, i.e. some light hearted articles, and don't let it become too anti the current owners, as otherwise it may be seen by the board as the moaning sheet for 'the old guard'.

As for PV's article, I never expected it to cover his relationship with TJ and MS, as PV is a professional with a need to maintain his reputation and contacts. It would be an interesting tale as it was PV who helped bring them in, in the first place...
  • Options
    razil said:

not forgetting CAS Trust News, next edition out later this month/early March

Nice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does Steve Dixon still go Charlton ?
    was it out of him and Varney who got the chief executive position years ago
    does Steve work for Orient
  • Options

Yes, was chatting with him before Sheff weds.

Worked at orient, then Wembley staduim and now with a bigger football retailer
  • Options

yeah he goes when he can, think he was Marketing Manager (someone will correct me on this) when he worked there.
  • Options

Just can't see this competing with the official match day programme to be honest which at £29-99 remains great value containing those essential editorial gems about the favourite hip-hop bands of the women's team's kit man, how many pies were consumed in the 1947-48 season and hot action photos from a game we lost several weeks ago.
  • Options
    cheers ,
    nice fella , he was a few years above me at school and was a font of all Charlton knowledge
    and he persuaded me not to cancel my Valley Gold years ago when he was working for the club
  • Options
    Steve's a top fella, known him a long time, he's also a pretty handy centre half as well!
  • Options
    Update for those who have placed orders via votvonline.com - all UK orders for single copies have gone out tonight first class and should arrive on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Count me out.

Already being used as political tool
  • Options
    Great, really looking forward to getting my copy.

• Options
    Last couple of Anorak Addicks have had rave reviews btw...:)