Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The boy done good - CAFC U9 Academy

Comments

• Options
    Steve

Re the keeper mate I am the first person who will always defend a keeper being one myself for over 8 years!
    The kid who by the way is smashing kid and is always upbeat wouldn't have made it into our our B team on a sunday morning. I believe the club panicked when signing him as we would have been a keeper down?

You know yourself at 8 and 9 by the way boys shape's up and the way they act on a football pitch that they look like a footballer well this boy hasen't got it as much as it pains me to say! If we hadn't had scored a hatfull of goals on Sunday to start with we would have been up against it again!
    3 of the goals he threw directly to there strikers even though we had 2 players on at any given time in space! the 5th goal the ball was hit shoulder high instead of making an easy catch (trust me it was an easy catch) he punched it in the air and the boy in front just nodded it in Aghhhhh!

Morts

Four 20 minute periods.

Far from it mate but the calibre of these players even at this age are outstanding. They start off by passing the ball about like they do in training 3 times a week then as soon they go a goal down the attack mode kicks in and off they go!
  • Options
    cheers Terry , so thats 2 matches of 20 mins each half ?

• Options
    itsmyball said:

the keeper is only as good as the players in front of him.

disagree

• Options
    I just hope the dad off the keeper does not read this.
    or the coach of your team. if you are saying this about the kepper I can bet your boy knows your feelings as will other boys in the team and then the keeper will know your feelings. this is not a good foundation for development .
    let the kids enjoy it they are 8 and 9 as you say they have a very long long way to go before they make it even if any of them do.
    all I say is there is a reason why the club don't put up match reports of the young teams TO MUCH PREASURE.
  • Options
    oohaamortimer .
    your telling me that if your defenders and midfield are rubbish and you are a world class keeper you are going to make a difference in a game. yes a slight difference but it becomes shooting practice for the attacking team.
    and no matter how good you are you are going to let goals in. yes you will save more than a keeper who is not as good but I can guarantee you will they will let goals in .
  • Options

Steve

Re the keeper mate I am the first person who will always defend a keeper being one myself for over 8 years!

So can you play in the under nines?

• Options
    itsmyball said:

oohaamortimer .
    your telling me that if your defenders and midfield are rubbish and you are a world class keeper you are going to make a difference in a game. yes a slight difference but it becomes shooting practice for the attacking team.
    and no matter how good you are you are going to let goals in. yes you will save more than a keeper who is not as good but I can guarantee you will they will let goals in .

I'm saying it does make a massive difference if the keeper has got a clue or hasn't and clearly the defence and midfield will make a difference
    I have a 7 year old son who has half a clue how to play in goal and he is the best defender as well in his team and his team do better with him in goal than one of the clueless kids in goal and my son in defence.
    Keeper is a massively important position , I don't know what the story is with Terrys boys team but I understand where he is coming from , even if it isn't nice
    And I totally agree with letting the kids enjoy their football at a young age
  • Options
    The boys make their feeling known don't worry about that!!

I agree to some of what you say but I like I said at this level even though it is only U9 the pressure is intense I agree enjoy the football but unless you have coached at acadamy level its a different story!!

A few remarks were made on Sunday (not by me!) by what I am posting wouldn't make a blind bit of diffrence.

I was asked the a question and I answered how I and many others see it. We don't shout at the boy in question the complete oppisite we give him praise at any time we can and even when he is making mistakes we are praising him even more so then maybe the coaches!
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism. Too many kids are pampered around these days by their nambi pambi parents and teachers.

The keeper I'm sure, is all too well aware he needs to improve and he should be told so. It will benefit him later in life.
  • Options
    Thats the thing Brendan me personally I wouldn't say nothing to the boy that is up to the coach.

I was only saying as I see it! If I have upset ItsMyBall soz pal maybe don't read the thread anymore but if you read back from post one I have never slagged of any boy only sometimes MY boy!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    terry no way has it upset me.
    and as you say the pressure is intense , this is one of the main things with English football of why we have so many problems.
    to much pressure to young for them to enjoy it. yes we all want to win,
    and terry I have been involved for many years with academy football and I can tell you the pressure put on some of the boys is just too much.
    yes the coaching is good but they are taken out of an environment of where they should be , playing for local teams and playing for there academy team on a Saturday,
    and to finish off why would you slagg off your boy , this sums up my point TO MUCH PRESURE
  • Options
    OK wrong word on my part I call it constructive criticism!

Sometimes Alfie dosen't want to hear it but if I don't tell him where he is going wrong and the coach dosen't tell him (Not saying I'm better then the coach because I'm not!) I think its my duty as a dad to point him in the right direction and most of the time he will take it on board!

The word preasure is used a lot but that is the most frustrating thing as our team bring preasure on themselfs and that was the point I was making re the goalkeeper!

Anyway upwards and onwards Watford away on Sunday COYR
  • Options

at this level even though it is only U9 the pressure is intense

Madness.Anyone that's putting pressure on 8 year olds needs to take a look at themselves.

• Options
    my point carly.
    have you ever been to an academy game.
  • Options
    Even last year in the selkent league U8 league cup final you could have cut the atmosphire with a knife!!!

Intense is not the word!!
  • Options
    Christ knows how this thread has so many posts.
  • Options
    Spot on Semedo, it's a strange one.
  • Options
    In my experience of managing boys teams (for a number of years) many parents think they know best, they don't like losing & they all want to pick the "best" team.

Many of them also think their own kid is the best player in the world & try to live out their own football fantasy's through them, often criticizing other kids to hide their own child's deficiency's

Shame really because most have no idea, about coaching, teamwork or what to look for in players. Most of them would be much better off letting the qualified coach do what he does best and at that tender age let the boys enjoy themselves.
  • Options

Don't read it then?

Simples!

• Options
    Started off as a fairly interesting thread that gave an insight into how Charlton develop youngsters and the views of a parent who was witnessing it.

I don't think it is appropriate that it is used to criticise other youngsters or question the methods of the coaches. Could become a little self indulgent.

But as Terry says, we do not have to read it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't read it then?

Simples!

Thought the next post would be you, seeing as 80% of them are...

I read it for the first time today thanks Terrence, and as a member of the forum thought I'd post my two cents. I thank you for your attempt at moderation, though.
  • Options
    to be fair the thread has kind of lost track, personally I was enjoying reading about life at academy level and getting a bit of an insight from someone involved.

do agree that it seems far to much pressure placed on kids U9....they should just be enjoying it!!
  • Options

Don't read it then?

Simples!

Thought the next post would be you, seeing as 80% of them are...I read it for the first time today thanks Terrence, and as a member of the forum thought I'd post my two cents. I thank you for your attempt at moderation, though.
    Not surprising really as he started the thread about his sons progress after being asked about it.
  • Options
    it is a great thread written by a proper Charlton fan who is buzzing his kid picked cafc, if you don't like it don't read it and don't make snidey faceless comments

fuk em al
  • Options
    Love how many of the posters on here dig out Hamer, Pritch, Church for fun, yet this Alfie lad is hailed as a hero. Bizarre
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    cos he is a9 yr old boy not a proffesional footballer there to be shot at are you being serious just on the piss take
  • Options
    edited November 2013

it is a great thread written by a proper Charlton fan who is buzzing his kid picked cafc, if you don't like it don't read it and don't make snidey faceless comments

fuk em al

Is it Groundhog Day again? "Fuck 'em all", that's all you ever seem to say. Switch those other two brain cells on chump, the one you have left is getting lonely.
  • Options
    the 9 year old goalie seems to be getting 'shot at'
  • Options
    you cant even read semedo it says fuk em al not all
  • Options

Love how many of the posters on here dig out Hamer, Pritch, Church for fun, yet this Alfie lad is hailed as a hero. Bizarre

i think it's your post that is bizarre MLS, it is a thread from a proud father about his young son being in the acadamy.