Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PDC in talks with Sunderland EDIT : Appointed

Comments

• Options
    How some of you lot ain't running the country and world is beyond me to be honest

According to Clarke Carlisle on talk shite fascism has been hijacked by racists and that the origins of fascism as far as his research shows were not racist

So maybe PDC is an old school fascist with no racist undertones.

• Options

I think the opposite i think sunderland will relish the attention

Warnock and holloway are just as nutts as is jose mourhino

Time will tell but i wish him well and hope he is a succesful mgr

The bloke gave us a great season

And dont forget when he caught the ball against everton as a gesture of fair play the guy is pure class

I wouldve pushed allcock over for being a cock

They'll relish it for a month or two. At most. None of those reasons sway me. Warnock and Holloway have had success to make up for their madness. Mourinho is not remotely crazy. Not in the slightest.

How PDC played for us, him catching the ball... none of this makes him a tactical genius.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Loved him at The Valley, but PdC is a total lunatic. He won't last 12 months. He's perfect Sky Sports News fodder. The press conferences will be hilarious, there'll be some ridiculous short term controversy, then someone at Sunderland will realise he's mental, fire him and realise the damage is done.

His brand of insanity as a player, but as a manager it won't wash. Swindon enjoyed the attention he brought. Sunderland won't.

Good use of the words mental and insanity. What qualifies you ?
    I need qualifications to pass an opinion on a football forum? Are you f****** serious?
  • Options

Just to all those people defending fascism, arguing that his views are his and shouldn't effect his job. In a fascist society you can't hole any independent views - you tow the line or wave goodbye to any job/liberty. Also do you all like freedom of speech? Yeah, thought so..

You're absolutely right.

Whereas in a Communist society everyone is equal and you can say and do what you like.

Someone should tell China
  • Options

Just to all those people defending fascism, arguing that his views are his and shouldn't effect his job. In a fascist society you can't hole any independent views - you tow the line or wave goodbye to any job/liberty. Also do you all like freedom of speech? Yeah, thought so..

You're absolutely right.

Whereas in a Communist society everyone is equal and you can say and do what you like.

Someone should tell China
    If only I new how to do a sarcastic thingy.
  • Options
    Am i the only one who thinks this all a massive over reaction by the press and fans. Why wasn't there all this fuss made when he was a player? Or when he became manager of Swindon?

Some Sunderland fans reportedly going to stop going whilst he's in charge. Pathetic. If di Canio is a success there and they survive and move up the table, then no one will give a sh*t.
  • Options
    I thought there was fuss about his beliefs when he joined Swindon?
  • Options
    Soon forgotten about when they started winning games though
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I thought there was fuss about his beliefs when he joined Swindon?

Don't remember it personally. Infact, I'd actually forgotten about all of this until the press decided to bring it up again.
  • Options
    Loved the guy as a player and made the year he was with us a special one, but his time at Swindon was very volatile and can only see this ending badly. To put it simply I wouldn't want him managing charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The chairman of Swindon who appointed Di Canio stated, something along the lines of, that press conferences to annouce managers at Swindon normally attracted the local paper and the local radio station, but when they appointed Di Canio they had ~80 members of the media from around the world.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    It bothered the BBC so much they gave him a column!

• Options
    Adrian Durham asking why Powell was overlooked as manger on talksport, also written about it in the mail today.
  • Options
    Because he is ours the ginger mug only wants him to leave as it would help posh
  • Options
    Ian Wright makes a good point in his column in the Sun today, about this countries obsession with foreign managers. Said there's better, more experienced homegrown managers who probably weren't even on Sunderland's radar and that if di Canio was actually called Paul O'Kane then he wouldn't have had a sniff of getting the job. Hard to disagree really.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Sums up this argument perfectly. No controversy when joining Swindon, manages a premier league club and all of a sudden his political views are a problem. Why?
  • Options
    I get the feeling Durham quite likes Powell, and us in general as a club.

I'll be more worried about Powell when Pearson gets the chop in the summer if Leicester continue to blow it
  • Options

Ian Wright makes a good point in his column in the Sun today, about this countries obsession with foreign managers. Said there's better, more experienced homegrown managers who probably weren't even on Sunderland's radar and that if di Canio was actually called Paul O'Kane then he wouldn't have had a sniff of getting the job. Hard to disagree really.

Having not read the article, from your summary it's something that is pretty much impossible to disagree with.

• Options
    PDC was a great player no question but sorry he is a few Fries short of a Happy Meal I am just glad he's not on the manager market anymore because if CP did leave for whatever reason I wouldn't want him at The Valley.

By the way my prediction is that he won't be at Sunderland very long either he can have a row in an empty room that man!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

I'll be more worried about Powell when Pearson gets the chop in the summer if Leicester continue to blow it

Yeah, agree on both points there
  • Options
    Couldnt see him lasting anywhere for long,blokes just so unpredictable.think this is big gamble for sunderland and can only presume they had no faith in martin keeping them up.
  • Options

It has not exactly been a quiet start for Paolo Di Canio. Within 24 hours of taking over as Sunderland manager the Italian has been forced to defend himself against allegations of racism and fascism on the back of David Miliband, the former Foreign Secretary, resigning from his position on the club's board because of "past political statements".

By replacing Martin O'Neill, a man who was a master in the art of saying a lot without revealing anything, with Di Canio, whose press conferences have the potential to provide regular material for the front as well as the back pages, Sunderland have walked into a storm completely of their own making.

Di Canio has long had a magnetic attraction to controversy and he did nothing to alter that reputation during his time as Swindon Town manager, where he left quite an impression. "Often I refer to it as management by hand grenade," Nick Watkins, the former Swindon Town chief executive, said after Di Canio quit the club as manager in February. "Paolo would chuck a hand grenade and I would do the repair work at the end, like the Red Cross."

At Swindon Di Canio was treated like an A-list celebrity. One of his post-match rituals involved going on to the pitch at the final whistle, saluting the club's supporters while holding a scarf above his head and lapping up the acclaim. "It was like he was a rock star," said one of the staff who worked alongside the Italian at the County Ground. "It was as if he thought he was Robbie Williams playing in front of 100,000 people at Knebworth."

In reality the crowds rarely reach five figures in the lower leagues of English football, never mind six. A big fish in a small pond, Di Canio revelled in all the attention that came his way, sometimes leaving a trail of destruction behind him. On more than one occasion Swindon were contacted by police to tell them that the way Di Canio goaded opposition fans at the end of games was unacceptable. Presumably someone at Sunderland will have a quiet word in his ear before the potentially explosive Tyne-Wear derby at St James' Park on Sunday week. By that point there may be signs as to whether Di Canio's approach to management has changed at all from the roller-coaster 21 months he spent with Swindon, where the admirable success the Italian achieved on the pitch – promotion from League Two as champions in his first season and a League One play-off position when he resigned – contrasted sharply with the problems that piled up off the field.

Di Canio, to put it simply, was high maintenance at Swindon. According to Andrew Black, their former owner, he was "uncompromising" and would "be on your case the whole time". Come the end, the board respected the team's results but were left to regret their failure to do more to control the maverick who would openly refer to himself within the club at times as "God", said one source. If Swindon could turn back the clock, a code of conduct would have been laid down from day one.

Instead Di Canio called all the shots, including everything from bringing in his agent, Phil Spencer, to work on player recruitment, and insisting on overnight stops for short trips against local rivals such as Bristol Rovers and Oxford United, which is normally unheard of at League Two level. Questioning his decision-making never went down well. "There was no room for negotiation and no room for debate. Paolo had a view and it was 'This is my way'," the Swindon source said.

There were several clashes with players. In August 2011 Di Canio was involved in a physical confrontation with Leon Clarke, a Swindon striker, in the tunnel at the County Ground. "I saw Leon insulting my colleagues. So, as his manager, I put my arm round his shoulder and told him to go down the tunnel," Di Canio later explained.

"He kept on swearing. I had to grab his shirt and put him up against the wall. It wasn't violent. But he'd been saying 'fuck off' repeatedly, to people older than him. Imagine Sir Alex Ferguson in that situation. Eventually I had to say: 'OK. Now you fuck off.'"

Di Canio fell out with Paul Caddis, the former captain, in the summer and earlier this season called Wes Foderingham "the worst professional I've ever seen".

Foderingham, the Swindon goalkeeper, had exchanged words with Di Canio and kicked a water bottle after he was substituted 21 minutes into a 4-1 defeat at Preston. A few days later Di Canio blamed Aden Flint for the 1-0 defeat against Oxford. "Flint came in tonight as if he was on holiday and this is not acceptable. He has to take the responsibility. We lost because of him."

There are run-ins at football clubs all the time but it is the way those incidents are handled that defines man-management. Arguably lower league players will be more willing to roll up their sleeves and get on with it in the face of criticism partly because someone with Di Canio's status will be revered, but also because their livelihoods depend on their next contract. The dynamics, though, are much different in a Premier League dressing room, where the power lies with the players sitting on multi-million pound contracts rather than the manager who scored with a spectacular scissor kick for West Ham against Wimbledon 13 years ago.

If Di Canio brings the methods he used at Swindon with him, the Sunderland players are in for a shock. The Italian ruled with an iron fist at the County Ground and was particularly tough on discipline. He introduced double sessions, monitored the players' diets closely and imposed a strict fitness regime.

In his first seven weeks at the club the players had one day off, which proved to be a sign of things to come over the remainder of the campaign. There was little in the way of family time while keen golfers were told to forget about improving their handicaps. Di Canio's motto is eat football, drink football, sleep football. Everything else can wait.

Under Di Canio there is a sense that things may work out at the Stadium of Light in the short term, with his fiery personality engendering exactly the sort of reaction from the players that Sunderland need to pull clear of the relegation zone in the final seven games, although the bigger picture seems less certain. Whatever happens, it promises to be quite a ride if Di Canio's first day at the office is anything to go by.

• Options
    So he would never be manager of WHU re their owners ?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

PL54 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Loved him at The Valley, but PdC is a total lunatic. He won't last 12 months. He's perfect Sky Sports News fodder. The press conferences will be hilarious, there'll be some ridiculous short term controversy, then someone at Sunderland will realise he's mental, fire him and realise the damage is done.

His brand of insanity as a player, but as a manager it won't wash. Swindon enjoyed the attention he brought. Sunderland won't.

I need qualifications to pass an opinion on a football forum? Are you f****** serious?
    With such an understanding of Mental Health issues I just assumed you worked for a social care provider or something similar.

It's like saying he was disabled or, as it was put previously by one of our players on Twitter, a Downy - classy that was.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Rothko said:

Yeah, agree on both points there
    I had a chat with him at some event a few months back, and he does.
  • Options
    "If Di Canio brings the methods he used at Swindon with him, the Sunderland players are in for a shock. The Italian ruled with an iron fist at the County Ground and was particularly tough on discipline. He introduced double sessions, monitored the players' diets closely and imposed a strict fitness regime.

In his first seven weeks at the club the players had one day off, which proved to be a sign of things to come over the remainder of the campaign. There was little in the way of family time while keen golfers were told to forget about improving their handicaps. Di Canio's motto is eat football, drink football, sleep football. Everything else can wait"

I don't see the problem with this, players are well paid to work hard, be professional and be prepared.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

The Italian ruled with an iron fist at the County Ground and was particularly tough on discipline.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    PL54 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

PL54 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

With such an understanding of Mental Health issues I just assumed you worked for a social care provider or something similar.

It's like saying he was disabled or, as it was put previously by one of our players on Twitter, a Downy - classy that was.
    No it's not, you buffoon. Get over yourself. *apologies to all up-tight buffoons out there who might take offence*