Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PDC in talks with Sunderland EDIT : Appointed

Comments

• Options

New statement.

“I am not political, I do not affiliate myself to any organisation, I am not a racist and I do not support the ideology of fascism. I respect everyone.

Well said PDC. Still doesn't explain why attended a fascist terrorist's funeral (see the Sun for details)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If a self confessed BNP/NF admirer were to be appointed to a similar role to di Canio there would be uproar in the press, the unions, the media, politicians, the race relations industry and uncle tom cobley and all. All the left leaning CLifers would be spitting bulllets in outraged indignation that such a swine is walking the planet, never mind working in the football industry.
    But because good ol' Paulo is a bit of an eyetalian eccentric, wears a funny hat now and then, dosno spikka de ver good inglisi, kicks one of his players in the backside in jest, pushes over a referee, catches the ball to waste a goal scoring chance because an opponent is injured, because he is a cheeky loveable rogue of a foreign chappie, when he lands a plum premiership managerial job, only a few mild words have been spoken questioning the veracity of his appointment.
    He played about 30 games for CAFC, I never saw him as I was abroad during his valley time. To me, a few games does not a legend make. I have not and will never meet di Canio. What I have seen and read about him I do not like. I wish him nothing but the most gross bad luck during the remainder of his time in England.
  • Options

Going to CP just because he is black is a form of racism

It was PdC who cited his friendship with CP as a reason why he wasn't racist. Looks like good work by the journalist to follow up and see if CP felt the same way.

Even if fascism is not inherently racist (I would disagree as it was strongly pro-Italian and nationalist) it was violently anti-working class and anti-trade unionist in particular. Under Mussolini Italian Fascism promoted a corporatist economic system which negated the power of the worker.
  • Options
    Not for the first time there are far too many people rushing to judgement based on superficial knowledge. Italian Fascism is a complex "nationalist" topic. Under Mussolini it was a self serving tool to secure/maintain power. It is true at one level there are concerning racist disciplines. Though I thought Powell was spot on with his comments, seldom are even the most sure footed of footballers as erudite off the field of play. PDC, no matter his statement today, will I suspect continue to be pressed to clarify his "support" of fascism, but why now?

Why because it is good "copy"? It sells - nothing more, nothing less? What will the consequences be? Only time will tell but guilt by association is always questionable.

I find the reaction to the PDC appointment beyond sad. He is different, he is volatile so the medias' "lets attack the loony" springs into action. If it were in the playground it would have all the hallmarks of bullying - quite perverse when you think of the fascist connotations.

PDC is his own man and has achieved much in his chosen profession. There can be little doubt, that tied to his undoubted playing ability, he has been successful because of his overriding passion for the game he clearly loves. On more than one occasion that passion has brought him into conflict with the authorities and with those around him.

Such excesses in a managerial role are going to be an enormous challenge for him but that challenge should not diminish his ability with players. He may be "politically" incorrect in the boardroom but his iron discipline within the dressing room and on the training ground is probably exactly what Sunderland need. To balance that he clearly has a talent to raise players ability to perform.

I am reminded of two Charlton related events. Firmani, as manager having developed his game in Italy sought to impose a clear "Italian style of discipline" which brought about the conflict with Ray Crawford. I have little doubt PDC will generate friction in Sunderland but he will not care because he is confident/ arrogant enough to believe his way IS THE right way. If enough good players buy into the vision he may well deliver salvation.

If you doubt his influence on players I will remind you of Kevin Lisbie who paid tribute to him after his memorable hat trick against Liverpool (PDC was on the bench). It was working alongside PDC, that for a brief spell at least, gave Lisbie the confidence to perform to the level of his potential. Sadly injuries all too soon once again interrupted his progress.

As for PDCs' public acclaim" whether in Italy or Swindon I suggest there is a measure of deliberate misinterpretation. I have little doubt there is an element of playing to the crowd in "showing his solidarity with the people" who share his passion for the project he is undertaking. In Italy it was a confirmation of his solidarity with people with whom he had grown up. That many within that community demonstrate extreme racial views is very much to be regretted and a matter of concern. PDC has sought to distance himself from such views but I doubt the story will end there.

For the moment in footballing terms, in an era of too many grey people, I wish him well.

Grapevine49
  • Options
    Apparently in his autobiography 12 years ago he wrote that he feared Italy was in danger of becoming a Muslim country if they weren't careful. That right after the bit talking about his fascist views and respect for Mussolini.

Admittedly I'm quoting Adrian Durham here so I'm assuming he has his facts right. If true, then the Muslim bit tells you all you need to know...
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Not for the first time there are far too many people rushing to judgement based on superficial knowledge. Italian Fascism is a complex "nationalist" topic. Under Mussolini it was a self serving tool to secure/maintain power. It is true at one level there are concerning racist disciplines. Though I thought Powell was spot on with his comments, seldom are even the most sure footed of footballers as erudite off the field of play. PDC, no matter his statement today, will I suspect continue to be pressed to clarify his "support" of fascism, but why now?

Why because it is good "copy"? It sells - nothing more, nothing less? What will the consequences be? Only time will tell but guilt by association is always questionable.

I find the reaction to the PDC appointment beyond sad. He is different, he is volatile so the medias' "lets attack the loony" springs into action. If it were in the playground it would have all the hallmarks of bullying - quite perverse when you think of the fascist connotations.

PDC is his own man and has achieved much in his chosen profession. There can be little doubt, that tied to his undoubted playing ability, he has been successful because of his overriding passion for the game he clearly loves. On more than one occasion that passion has brought him into conflict with the authorities and with those around him.

Such excesses in a managerial role are going to be an enormous challenge for him but that challenge should not diminish his ability with players. He may be "politically" incorrect in the boardroom but his iron discipline within the dressing room and on the training ground is probably exactly what Sunderland need. To balance that he clearly has a talent to raise players ability to perform.

I am reminded of two Charlton related events. Firmani, as manager having developed his game in Italy sought to impose a clear "Italian style of discipline" which brought about the conflict with Ray Crawford. I have little doubt PDC will generate friction in Sunderland but he will not care because he is confident/ arrogant enough to believe his way IS THE right way. If enough good players buy into the vision he may well deliver salvation.

If you doubt his influence on players I will remind you of Kevin Lisbie who paid tribute to him after his memorable hat trick against Liverpool (PDC was on the bench). It was working alongside PDC, that for a brief spell at least, gave Lisbie the confidence to perform to the level of his potential. Sadly injuries all too soon once again interrupted his progress.

As for PDCs' public acclaim" whether in Italy or Swindon I suggest there is a measure of deliberate misinterpretation. I have little doubt there is an element of playing to the crowd in "showing his solidarity with the people" who share his passion for the project he is undertaking. In Italy it was a confirmation of his solidarity with people with whom he had grown up. That many within that community demonstrate extreme racial views is very much to be regretted and a matter of concern. PDC has sought to distance himself from such views but I doubt the story will end there.

For the moment in footballing terms, in an era of too many grey people, I wish him well.

Grapevine49

Top, top post. People need to stop overreacting and do their research on Italian fascism as well as where PDC grew up. He's denied being a fascist anyway, so what?
  • Options
    Mussolini, di Canio's hero, sent troops into Ethiopia (then called Abyssinia) in 1935 to expand the Italian African empire, the Italians already had Libya and a large part of what is now Somalia.
    The 'campaign' was notorious for the use of mustard gas against both Abyssinian troops and civilians and the indiscriminate aerial bombing of largely undefended towns and villages. The mustard gas was used despite the well reported effects of this dreadful 'weapon' during WW1.
    I accept that all empires are built on might and not right, but this incursion by the Italians was especially pernicious and was a foretaste of both the Spanish Civil war which Franco would probably have lost without Italian and German support, and of course German and Italian expansion into Greece and the Balkans in WW2.
    Italian fascism is not a good role model for anybody. It has its roots of course way back in the Roman Empire as does much of the Nazi ideology .. hail Caesar = heil hitler for example
  • Options
    We have the rule of law. If someone does or says something that is a criminal offence then prosecute them or if a private citizen wants to sue someone in civil court, they can do so.
    Short of that, we are all entitled to believe and say and do what we want.
    I prefer Oscar Wilde's perspective on the subject of extreme politics (of whatever "wing"): “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”
  • Options

New statement.

PAOLO DI CANIO, Wednesday 03 April, 2013
    “I have clearly stated that I do not wish to speak about matters other than football, however, I have been deeply hurt by the attacks on the football club.
    “This is a historic, proud and ethical club and to read and hear some of the vicious and personal accusations is painful. I am an honest man, my values and principles come from my family and my upbringing.
    "I feel that I should not have to continually justify myself to people who do not understand this, however I will say one thing only - I am not the man that some people like to portray.
    “I am not political, I do not affiliate myself to any organisation, I am not a racist and I do not support the ideology of fascism. I respect everyone.
    “I am a football man and this and my family are my focus. Now I will speak only of football.”

That should draw a line under it all.
    Hopefully he can get on with the job now.
    I love PDC, always have. At Wednesday, West Ham and with us. Always felt relived when he was named in the side.
    I personally think he will have a massive positive effect on Sunderland and they will pull clear of trouble sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Lots of people just don't understand that fascism and nazism aren't the same thing and Mussolini only enabled any racial laws due to the pressure of Hitler. In Italy there was never a de-nazification like there was in Germany and Mussolini doesn't have the same stigma that Hitler does( Mussolini's grandaughter is in Italian politics at the moment) and Berlusconi has spoken about his admiration for Mussolini, so Di Canio describing himself as a fascist isn't that big a deal. The way this man has been treated for having beliefs that don't affect anyone is disgusting. He's been hounded for supposedly harbouring racist views despite no evidence and has been used as a scapegoat by Milliband to get off the Sunderland board. The Durham miners association's reasons for withdrawing their banner are stupid as people have died for Britain for all sorts of reasons. Would they be equally offended if Sunderland signed a Spaniard or a frenchman because Englishmen have died fighting those too. Our society is supposed to be one of tolerance but the moment someone believes anything that doesn't fit with the majority ideal they're insulted and dismissed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparrently his first move will be changing the kit... Playing in brown shirts next week.
  • Options
    This place is the best learning centre I've ever known...thanks chaps and chappesses, I'm now a better educated and more well rounded individual.
  • Options
    Adam Johnson will be key... Says most of their goals will come from the right wing.
  • Options
    Rude, arrogant, short tempereed, unpredictable and a bully.....but passionate. Just the sort of boss we would all love to work for.
  • Options
    Why was there not this furore when he joined Swindon? Surely if it is a principle at stake it should not matter if he were appointed manager of PL Sunderland or non league Southport. Slow news week so the journos have to have something to write about. Great article in tonight's Standard by Mihir Bose. Perhaps some other reporters should read it, digest it and take a deep breath.
  • Options

Why was there not this furore when he joined Swindon?...

Because nothing beneath the Premiership is worthy of comment. In fact, it doesn't really exist.
  • Options
    Don't think the fans will be looking forward to the match pogroms.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    banknote said:

Lots of people just don't understand that fascism and nazism aren't the same thing and Mussolini only enabled any racial laws due to the pressure of Hitler. In Italy there was never a de-nazification like there was in Germany and Mussolini doesn't have the same stigma that Hitler does( Mussolini's grandaughter is in Italian politics at the moment) and Berlusconi has spoken about his admiration for Mussolini, so Di Canio describing himself as a fascist isn't that big a deal. The way this man has been treated for having beliefs that don't affect anyone is disgusting. He's been hounded for supposedly harbouring racist views despite no evidence and has been used as a scapegoat by Milliband to get off the Sunderland board. The Durham miners association's reasons for withdrawing their banner are stupid as people have died for Britain for all sorts of reasons. Would they be equally offended if Sunderland signed a Spaniard or a frenchman because Englishmen have died fighting those too. Our society is supposed to be one of tolerance but the moment someone believes anything that doesn't fit with the majority ideal they're insulted and dismissed.

David Milliband resigned from the board as a matter of principal.

Have the Durham miners taken that action because Paulo is Italian, I thought it was because of his fascist beliefs? There is a big difference - if a Spaniard or a Frenchman were to be appointed and espouse far right views they would, in my view, receive a similar response.

We have a tolerant society and always have had, however fascists do not want that kind of society and are rightly considered to be a threat to democracy and free will. This is why people from this country fought in the Spain and Germany against fascism (and it's bastard son Nazism created by Hitler).

My late father, a lifelong Conservative voter, was very clear about the dangers of the BNP and it's predecessor the National Front - he fought in a war and saw his friends die to protect this country from falling into the hands of a totalitarian regime.

Having got that off my chest, I think PDC is right to say that he is not a politician and will now only talk about football. There are people in all walks of life who privately hold extreme views, they keep them private and it doesn't affect their ability to carry out their work.
  • Options
    Milliband didn't resign as principle
    and had already accepted a job in the USA and had resigned as an mp To take the role

He saw an opportunity to walk away on the morale high ground and to look good in the US That's obvious

The miners have a fair point if that's what they feel and believe

But folk IMO don't under stand about facism and most my age ain't seen it so IMO it's an age thing that is causing so much fury or a politician feathering his own cap
  • Options
    banknote said:

Completely agree, also anyone not worried about hung parliaments etc in this country and liberal party having all the power, read up on how Mussolini got to power and the car crash that was Italian politics.

Learning about Italian fascism at a level was actually a lot of fun, rather than treading over the same old hitler stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love the fact that so many English are frothing about his support for Mussolini in his book. What was actually said wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. "I think he [Mussolini] was a deeply misunderstood individual. He deceived people. His actions were often vile. But all this was motivated by a higher purpose. He was basically a very principled individual. Yet he turned against his sense of right and wrong. He compromised his ethics." Obviously footballers should only have bland media friendly Beckham views that could never be selectively quoted by an under-informed media and public.
  • Options
    For anyone thinking Fascism doesn't contain racism:

Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenation and asserts that "superior" nations and races should attain living space by displacing weak and inferior ones.
  • Options

For anyone thinking Fascism doesn't contain racism:

Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenation and asserts that "superior" nations and races should attain living space by displacing weak and inferior ones.

South London is better than East London.......
  • Options
    Morts

I thank you
  • Options
    @Saga Lout
    1). What David Milliband says he resigned and why he actually resigned are two different things.
    2) You misunderstood. The point I'm making is that people throughout history have died for England fighting all sorts of people and beliefs yet I doubt they would kick up the same fuss over anything that isn't fascism. Just because their fathers and grandfathers fought against it it's fresh in the memory and they're sensitive to it.
    3) Your beliefs are your beliefs, but you cannot try and eradicate the antithesis to your thought as then you're undermining liberalism and fundamental rights.Di Canio's beliefs have never harmed anyone so no one has any right to try and force him out of his work place and discriminate against him. You go out and vote and so does he and if a fascist party gets elected( which is never going to happen anytime soon) then that's fair as that's what the majority(or plurality in this country) want.

@Mortimercician
    The guy has a tattoo of DUX, which I think(although admittedly I'm not sure of the exact translation) means leader in Latin, which is what Mussolini called himself -Il Duce. If that's not showing support for someone I don't know what is.
  • Options
    banknote said:

@Saga Lout
    1). What David Milliband says he resigned and why he actually resigned are two different things.
    2) You misunderstood. The point I'm making is that people throughout history have died for England fighting all sorts of people and beliefs yet I doubt they would kick up the same fuss over anything that isn't fascism. Just because their fathers and grandfathers fought against it it's fresh in the memory and they're sensitive to it.
    3) Your beliefs are your beliefs, but you cannot try and eradicate the antithesis to your thought as then you're undermining liberalism and fundamental rights.Di Canio's beliefs have never harmed anyone so no one has any right to try and force him out of his work place and discriminate against him. You go out and vote and so does he and if a fascist party gets elected( which is never going to happen anytime soon) then that's fair as that's what the majority(or plurality in this country) want.

@Mortimercician
    The guy has a tattoo of DUX, which I think(although admittedly I'm not sure of the exact translation) means leader in Latin, which is what Mussolini called himself -Il Duce. If that's not showing support for someone I don't know what is.

1) You don't know why David Milliband resigned - you are speculating to suit your own views. In my view (I don't know either) I imagine he would have been very happy to continue in an unpaid and presumably very part time position at the club he supports, but felt he could not when PDC was appointed. And you can't tell me that he was in the role there for publicity because I don't think anyone knew he had that role until he resigned it.

2) And you misunderstood me. The point was not that he is Italian it is because of his political beliefs. You are right to say that we've had dust-ups with most nations over the years, so we'd have a very English football league if we were going to hold grudges BASED ON NATIONALITY.

3) In a free society which believes in freedom of speech and the freedom to express all kinds of beliefs it is very difficult to say that some beliefs are unacceptable, but we do have to draw a line to protect the freedoms we enjoy. I'm not trying to force PDC out of work and neither was David Milliband. I'll grant you there may be some people in this country that would have that aim.
  • Options
    so all it takes is for someone to say they are a fascist and a topLabourTosser naffs off out the country-----------------Hopefuly the Ultra right all admit it then and then rest of the labour rabble can f++k off as well----job done.
  • Options
    Piece in the Mail today with Mick Collins' name on it, quite disappointed in him to be honest, helping to drag Powell further into this for no reason. Powell is just being used here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2305121/Chris-Powell-surprised-Paolo-Di-Canio-best-friend-claim.html
  • Options

Apparently in his autobiography 12 years ago he wrote that he feared Italy was in danger of becoming a Muslim country if they weren't careful. That right after the bit talking about his fascist views and respect for Mussolini.

Admittedly I'm quoting Adrian Durham here so I'm assuming he has his facts right. If true, then the Muslim bit tells you all you need to know...

Why?

He might be a devout Roman Catholic ie a Christian.

Italy, like Britain, has traditionally been Christian. Christianity is steadily, and arguably deliberately, being undermined throughout the EU in particular and Europe in general.

You don't have to be a fascist to be concerned about that.