Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PDC in talks with Sunderland EDIT : Appointed

Comments

• Yeah the working class man taking a high wage from a charity very much a proving point of labour mps do not exist in the form that sinus Ed and his merry men would try to get you to believe

The left wing views on here i respect from some as they seem to follow the original views of the labour party

But davids actions are more in line with a tory mp than labour and therefor his views and stance on anything political is a fraud
  • Powell has said PDC will live or die by his past comments - not a great reference from such a "good friend'. Meant we were lead story on R5L sports news at 11.30...

And again this morning on Today programme sport. Was not sure what to think about his views before CP spoke. I read his autobio, and got the impression of an eccentric with a right wing viewpoint. But I'm afraid CP was hinting at something darker. Not a ringing endorsement as Weegie says.

• Powell has said PDC will live or die by his past comments - not a great reference from such a "good friend'. Meant we were lead story on R5L sports news at 11.30...

And again this morning on Today programme sport. Was not sure what to think about his views before CP spoke. I read his autobio, and got the impression of an eccentric with a right wing viewpoint. But I'm afraid CP was hinting at something darker. Not a ringing endorsement as Weegie says.

Agreed heard the whole interview on the supporters coach last night. Did not sound like a best buddy to me.

"He's an intelligent man, , some people may not think so with those views" or similar words.

Don't think CP liked being used as the example that PDC is not a racist. The epitome of "I'm not racist, my friend is black"

Agreed heard the whole interview on the supporters coach last night. Did not sound like a best buddy to me.

"He's an intelligent man, , some people may not think so with those views" or similar words.

Don't think CP liked being used as the example that PDC is not a racist. The epitome of "I'm not racist, my friend is black"

• redcarter said:
    And this is the person most wanted to lead "the working man's party"
    Classic Blairite though - make an utterly vacuous, hypocritical public stand for some principal or other, then grab the biggest fee possible.

Whatever PDC has done or not done in the past, he hasn't mouthed platitudes about the Geneva Convention whilst knowing that his own citizens were being held without trial and tortured, amongst other things.

He was a footballer, now he's a football manager. Milliband is / was supposedly a public servant. PDC has done far better at his job than Milliband, with far less damaging consequences for the world. I don't agree with Di Canio, but he has been more honest about his beliefs than Milliband ever has
  • Apparently Di Canio thought he was being appointed manager of Sudetenland.
  • Let's be clear, I am no fan whatsoever of David Milliband, he typifies the middle-class, intellectual Oxbridge wanker set that have dominated the Labour Party since the early 1990's.

However, all this talk of him 'selling out' is complete bollocks, the salary he is getting at International Rescue is £300,000 PA - that's big money to ordinary folk but the sort of remuneration that many in the City or Wall Street would consider pitiful.

If he really wanted to 'sell out' he could quite easily have gotten himself a nice gig at Goldman Sachs et al and used his global contacts to enrich the bank and make himself upwards of £3 million PA quite easily. I know a high-roller at GS who was collaring much, much more than that.

Milliband has made about £1 million in the last couple of years alone outside his MP's earnings so if the bloke wanted to take the piss he could carry on doing that and make more money than he would in his new job quite easily.

As for Di Canio, wartime fascism in Italy is extremely complex and unless you understand it - which very few people on here are likely to - then its very, very hard to judge Di Canio in the proper context.
  • I get the feeling Chris Powell thinks it was a bold decision for Sunderland to appoint him...
  • edited April 2013

Let's be clear, I am no fan whatsoever of David Milliband, he typifies the middle-class, intellectual Oxbridge wanker set that have dominated the Labour Party since the early 1990's.

However, all this talk of him 'selling out' is complete bollocks, the salary he is getting at International Rescue is £300,000 PA - that's big money to ordinary folk but the sort of remuneration that many in the City or Wall Street would consider pitiful.

If he really wanted to 'sell out' he could quite easily have gotten himself a nice gig at Goldman Sachs et al and used his global contacts to enrich the bank and make himself upwards of £3 million PA quite easily. I know a high-roller at GS who was collaring much, much more than that.

Milliband has made about £1 million in the last couple of years alone outside his MP's earnings so if the bloke wanted to take the piss he could carry on doing that and make more money than he would in his new job quite easily.

As for Di Canio, wartime fascism in Italy is extremely complex and unless you understand it - which very few people on here are likely to - then its very, very hard to judge Di Canio in the proper context.

Ormiston - You're right Miliband hasn't sold out - he never bought in.
    And don't forget that international organisations based in the US like The UN, IMF*, World Bank and International Rescue get very, very advantageous tax treatment for their US-based staff. While getting a big enhancement to his CV and using IR as a stepping stone to his next appointment, David Miliband won't be paying tax - perhaps he knows what his brother Edward has in store for the rest of us and has voted with his feet? It's certainly nice to know that he has been earning so much dosh, while not bothering to pitch up for about half the votes in Parliament. Great servant to his constituents - they are well shot of him.
    The Milibands' marxist father must be turning in his grave.

*Christine Lagarde while urging the Greeks to pay their income tax, pays no tax whatsoever on her IMF salary!
  • Sponsored links:

• People that work for charity's should do so for nowt so that the money is poor folk pay to the charity's goes to what we pay it for not for total knob ends like DM to further his career

I include the old biddies who open the shops and work the counters

It should be made compulsory for those able and on the social system Recieving money to work for them

But that's for another thread

• WSS said:

I get the feeling Chris Powell thinks it was a bold decision for Sunderland to appoint him...

Nice interview on SSN.
  • People that work for charity's should do so for nowt so that the money is poor folk pay to the charity's goes to what we pay it for not for total knob ends like DM to further his career

I include the old biddies who open the shops and work the counters

It should be made compulsory for those able and on the social system Recieving money to work for them

But that's for another thread

Turn it up!

It is very true that many top charities have created nice little fiefdoms for their senior management BUT if they did not pay salaries at all then they would raise fuck all in funds because the amateurs would have no idea how to run what are multi-million pound enterprises.
  • Get experienced multi millionaires who are entrepreneurs to run it for free as part of raising their profile
  • edited April 2013
    I cant see why PDC cant be racist because he has Chris Powell as a friend...CP is English and PDC doesnt have a problem with the English.
  • edited April 2013
    redcarter said:

Apparently Di Canio thought he was being appointed manager of Sudetenland.

Genuine LOL and WMT? post of the week.

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22012236

Feel a bit sorry for Powell, as invariably he got asked about PDC after the game, and now he's quoted everywhere, as if he'd called a press conference to air his views on PDC...
  • redcarter said:

Genuine LOL and WMT? post of the week.

agreed, best quip for ages
  • Even if Powell did like him and respect him, in the current climate it's best not to say so...

Probably sat on the fence with his words hoping there wouldn't be a headline, but there is one anyway.
  • The fact that Powell is often put on the spot by lazy and attention, headline seeking journalists when it comes to questions of dubious politics or racism is in itself a form of racism. Yes, Powell is a black man, it's plain to see .. so what ?? ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Going to CP just because he is black is a form of racism
  • redcarter said:

Very good, I might steal that : - )

I would have more respect for PDC if he came out and said, as he did before "I'm a fascist but not a racist". He never hid his views before which was at least honest. Why not explain if he still admires Mussolini and what being a fascist means to him? If he's changed his stance then good for him. Or has he just been caught on the hop, given how little attention was paid before to his fascism, now he is in a high profile role.

Instead he seems to be trying to avoid the uncomfortable questions but the questions, like the huge Mussolini Dux tattoo on his back, aren't going to go away.

Sunderland wanted a high profile "exciting" manager and it seems they got one but not for the reasons they thought.

Great player without a doubt but not sure what that has to do with his fascism. He could be a great manager. Should his fascism stop him being a manager? No, not in my opinion but still doesn't mean I have to like it.

Agree that the press seem to have suddenly discovered his fascism when it seemed to attract little interest at little old Swindon but that is the mainstream media for you.

The irony of the left v right debate here is that a few on here and plenty of those with loyalist tendencies constantly berated the previous Sunderland manager for his supposed political views based on entirely what he didn't or didn't wear once a year. Yet now many of the same people are saying "don't mix football with politics".

Going to CP just because he is black is a form of racism

That isn't fair. Di Canio named CP. he effectively invited the journalists to get a character reference from CP. And as a journo you would go and get it, knowing that CP is intelligent, articulate, and as a former PFA chairman, a spokesman for the game.

If you name somebody as a potential reference, it is both sensible and polite to ask the person first. Di Canio didn't. He has gone down in my estimation, when previously I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So you think PDC is racist for going to CP then. Fair enough.

I don't see it that way but if you do then carry on.
  • Hardly a ringing endorsement from CP, I don't think PDC has done himself any favours there.
  • edited April 2013
    Drunk man in bar: "Oi, Chris, you're black. Do you think I'm a racist?"
    Chris: "Jesus. Whatever."
  • PDC "all marxists should be burnt at half time £1 to get in" ------top man.
  • New statement.

PAOLO DI CANIO, Wednesday 03 April, 2013
    “I have clearly stated that I do not wish to speak about matters other than football, however, I have been deeply hurt by the attacks on the football club.
    “This is a historic, proud and ethical club and to read and hear some of the vicious and personal accusations is painful. I am an honest man, my values and principles come from my family and my upbringing.
    "I feel that I should not have to continually justify myself to people who do not understand this, however I will say one thing only - I am not the man that some people like to portray.
    “I am not political, I do not affiliate myself to any organisation, I am not a racist and I do not support the ideology of fascism. I respect everyone.
    “I am a football man and this and my family are my focus. Now I will speak only of football.”
  • Suppose we can see how friendly he is towards SCP when we meet in the Championship next year.
  • All the media hounding Paulo Di Canio about his fascist past. The media didn't hound the last Pope about his time in the Hitler Youth!