Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• Millwall closing in on Scott McDonald according to SSN just now. Also making a bid for Sam Baldock - so says the guy on tele.

Yes I know they finished behind us - but sooner or later signings like this will push teams (not just then) above. We simply have to do better than the likes of Rob Hulse who a team like Millwall rejected.

Not having a moan (to cover myself from getting shot to bits). Just a bit fustrating really. Cant help but feel jealous of what they are looking to do.

I just cant see how a team with 7,000 crowds can maintain this investment in a sound business sense.

Sam Baldock didn't push Bristol City above us last season? Neither did Morrison for Leeds. We still have a better team than them. They're making signings because they were god awful last season. We Weren't.
  • edited July 2013

Millwall closing in on Scott McDonald according to SSN just now. Also making a bid for Sam Baldock - so says the guy on tele.

Yes I know they finished behind us - but sooner or later signings like this will push teams (not just then) above. We simply have to do better than the likes of Rob Hulse who a team like Millwall rejected.

Not having a moan (to cover myself from getting shot to bits). Just a bit fustrating really. Cant help but feel jealous of what they are looking to do.

I just cant see how a team with 7,000 crowds can maintain this investment in a sound business sense.

Sam Baldock didn't push Bristol City above us last season? Neither did Morrison for Leeds. We still have a better team than them. They're making signings because they were god awful last season. We Weren't.
    I really do get that we were better than them last season. Honestly. But when do you draw the line and say I team has pushed on and passed someone. We were god awful the season before we won league 1. But we bought better players and it made the season before irrelevant.

Ironically, what is happening at Millwall is probably taking my mind off the rest of the league and what they are doing (ie not a lot).

But honestly, saying Morison, McDonald, Bailey, Martin and Baldock don't make someone a better team (significantly) is nuts. Nothing we can do about it - it's just a fact.

As a side, how about we go in and hijack McDonalds move. Guy is class - we have just released Haynes and Fuller so must have room in the wages to at least match Millwall. And he would surely pick us in front of 7000 every week at the toolbox. Guy is class and would make us a better team.

Just a thought.
  • TRR yes mate true they were shit shame they werent worse. However they have identified the fact they were shit and are doing something about it, which again is a shame.

Lets not say we wouldnt take, Morrison,easter, Bailey, Chaplow, Scott McDonald, Baldock(assuming they sign). I would defo have at least three of those.

Taylor is on trial at Port Vale, even their budget is bigger than ours.

• Although this is possibly the wrong thread can someone explain to me in simple terms why we are in the situation we are in. I struggle to explain to non cafc fans the reasoning why we haven't got any money to invest when we get 18-20k each week and finished 9th in the league last season and when we need to push on it seems as if we are going backwards. is it simple a question of the board cannot bankroll the club in terms of having money to spend we don't have (as other clubs do)?
    Another question I'm always asked is "Why doesn't anyone buy out Charlton, London club, good ground, good players and management, surely a bit of investment could see you back in the premier league?!" to which I reply "We've got a lot of debts". I see clubs like Doncaster being supposedly bought out and just can't help but think that CAFC must be a better proposition.

(Awaits for meltdown to commence)
  • There is easily enough new talent there to make up the points gap. Thank god the rest of the teams below us are not doing the same. At least that is a positive.
  • sometimes I wished we went into administration 18 months ago..........didn't do Saints any harm.
  • Millwall closing in on Scott McDonald according to SSN just now. Also making a bid for Sam Baldock - so says the guy on tele.

I really do get that we were better than them last season. Honestly. But when do you draw the line and say I team has pushed on and passed someone. We were god awful the season before we won league 1. But we bought better players and it made the season before irrelevant.

Ironically, what is happening at Millwall is probably taking my mind off the rest of the league and what they are doing (ie not a lot).

But honestly, saying Morison, McDonald, Bailey, Martin and Baldock don't make someone a better team (significantly) is nuts. Nothing we can do about it - it's just a fact.

As a side, how about we go in and hijack McDonalds move. Guy is class - we have just released Haynes and Fuller so must have room in the wages to at least match Millwall. And he would surely pick us in front of 7000 every week at the toolbox. Guy is class and would make us a better team.

Just a thought.

Not denying they'll make Millwall a better team, in fact that's exactly what I said. It just doesn't make them a better team than us.
  • I wouldn't ever want to wish that golfie atleast local business gets paid

• Millwall may have a better team than us but we have a better manager. That's what's more important to me
  • That cup run must have earned Millwall a few Bob .. spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave
  • Sponsored links:

• If FFP has any bite then Millwall splashing the cash could be a last role of the dice by their chairman...promotion or nowt this season...can't see how they would be sustainable going forwards otherwise...I know he is rich but if fines are £4£ and they lose £8M per year (for arguments sake) then that would be £16M of an Americans cash burnt pa in South London...I don't see it...especially when you then throw in a transfer embargo meaning you are spending all that cash with no chance of promotion in future.
  • If FFP has any bite then Millwall splashing the cash could be a last role of the dice by their chairman...promotion or nowt this season...can't see how they would be sustainable going forwards otherwise...I know he is rich but if fines are £4£ and they lose £8M per year (for arguments sake) then that would be £16M of an Americans cash burnt pa in South London...I don't see it...especially when you then throw in a transfer embargo meaning you are spending all that cash with no chance of promotion in future.

I think with millwall they've given their new manager a budget to play with to "take them to the next level". A lot like we did with Dowie... fat load of good that did us.
  • Administration is not the right way out of our position, neither is buying players if we don't have any money. I don't really understand how we can be so badly off financially given we have a squad largely signed in league 1 and better than average crowds but looking at the number of free and undisclosed transfers by Championship clubs we're far from the only ones.

There's a few weeks left of the transfer window yet but at least we still have our best players from last season who showed themselves to be Championship standard. Think a few people need to man up and stop worrying so much about everyone else. Not saying its going to be a great season but doubt it'll be a disaster either so we might just have to be patient for our next taste of 'success'.

If its impossible to get success doing things right, i.e. running a sustainable, morally robust business, then sobeit. Personally I'd rather wait until football wakes up to reality than follow a success at all costs model.

The thing that worries me is, if things really are that desperate the best players will be sold and the club sold to anyone who can pass the criteria and we become a portsmouth style basket case for a succession of inadequate owners to play pass the parcel with. Some might argue Murray has already started that by selling to the current owners but rather than a cup win all we have to show for it is the League 1 title. At least we don't have Arry in charge and the likes of Solly have not yet been sold off on the cheap which still gives me cause for hope.

I still believe the club will exist and be in the championship in 2014/15.
  • TRR yes mate true they were shit shame they werent worse. However they have identified the fact they were shit and are doing something about it, which again is a shame.

Lets not say we wouldnt take, Morrison,easter, Bailey, Chaplow, Scott McDonald, Baldock(assuming they sign). I would defo have at least three of those.

Agree with most of that except to me its shows Taylor not good enough for championship and that's why we let him go...
  • And Scott McDonald is only 5'8!
  • Where the heck are Millwall getting their money from?
  • Well said Ex
  • Scott McDonalds brother on twitter saying can't believe my bro is now a lion

Not at the moment they are not

Not at the moment they are not

Know this for certain do you?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2013
    Yes. Not saying they won't get paid but over the summer this is the way we have been operating.

Thing is, Goonerhater, these players have to get to know each other. Sounds as though only a handful of last season's Spanner Squad will still be in the Toolbox on 3rd August...

Remember that much touted word on CL a couple of seasons ago?

Begins with a "g"....

• Fanny u know my spelling "G" aint much help !!

Is it goldfish re the Millwall ?
    Glamour re you and Curb-it ?
    G for Getting old me and Len ?
    Some rag of a paper begins with a G and end with a leftwingKnobhead

ok how about Going Up ?
  • I think if piggot plays with kerm over the next few friendlies , surely a sign that that will be the starting two upfront against Bournemouth
  • Think something sticky , cold and goes " shcluuuup" when you stick your finger in it ...

( And it's not Jeff )
  • My mate went to the game against Thurrock on Sat, he wasn't that impressed with Piggot - nothing to suggest he should be in the first team yet...
    sammy391 said:

I think if piggot plays with kerm over the next few friendlies , surely a sign that that will be the starting two upfront against Bournemouth

• Think something sticky , cold and goes " shcluuuup" when you stick your finger in it ...

( And it's not Jeff )

Lol the mind boggles. And not in a good way.
  • Piggot was going to AFC I thought.

( And it's not Jeff )

Come on , GH !

A final hint, you can put it on your hair.....

( And it's not Jeff )

Come on , GH !

A final hint, you can put it on your hair.....

Grecian 2000??

;-)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!