Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• 29 Jun 2013 20:46:16
    Christophe Berra to Charlton on a free transfer

29 Jun 2013 16:40:48
    Scotty parker returning to the valley
    Kevin nolan on way as well
    Obika wants to return full time contract!
    CP given green light to build squad for premiership It's the real deal then just watch
    Watch for big news coming out of charlton in week regarding American business man buy out massive news!
    Big signings on cards.

From FR, anyone know if the take over bit has any credit?
  • None of it has any credit
  • J Ackworth bored again then!
  • Awww shame
  • That FR website is embarrassing
  • That FR website is embarrassing

Its so bad its funny though , made up of 99.9999 untruths.

• wont be happy if Danny Haynes signs for Millwall & we sign a non-league striker instead.

love that FR twaddle - best laugh I've had in ages.
  • Charlton will look to sign Andrey Shevchenko ( spotted recently at Wimbledon on centre court )to cure their need for a striker, once the Russian billionaire takeover is pushed through.

Charlton will also consider tempting Andrey Arshavin back to English football, to plug the gap on the right hand side of Charltons midfield , due to Lawrie Wilson being shagged out in Borra Borra on honeymoon.
  • more likely to sign yuri gagarin
  • more likely to sign yuri gagarin

How tall is he ?

• Sponsored links:

• 5'2''- but I've heard he is out of this world
  • He's got his head in the clouds.
  • @FBL72: Bolton are ready to make a £9m move for Blackburn's Jordan Rhodes.
  • J BLOCK said:

@FBL72: Bolton are ready to make a £9m move for Blackburn's Jordan Rhodes.

I read things like that and it makes me feel a bit helpless; there seems to be such a divide in this league. (Probably due to the prem clubs being relegated into it, a few clubs with rich backers etc)

How on earth are clubs with small/medium budgets meant to compete with that? We're discussing a club spending £9m on a striker, when lets face it - neither club set the league alight this year. Yet when talking about our activity in the transfer market, how much have we realistically got? Certainly nowhere near that amount to spend on multiple players, let alone one.

Makes me feel proud of our team though - they were competitive and, had a few draws been turned to wins, could've made the play offs this year. Last year we brought in, what - Lawrie Wilson (A couple of hundred grand?) and Ricardo Fuller on a free? Hats off to the lads, they did incredibly well considering.

• Seeing stuff like that just makes me extremely frustrated we can't get just a little extra funding for a push. Spending that much on 1 player is a huge risk knowing that they could pay back their cost in PL but it's whether that single players' contribution is enough to gain promotion when you could've spend it on all areas of the team.

Just a shame some can do that yet we watch knowing that anywhere from 500k-2m would be enough to push us into the playoffs given Powell's astute spending record. Incredibly frustrating, praying we get *something* to spend on players but won't hold my breath.
  • Wolves are a good example of it is not so much having the players, but what you do with them. Wolves players were mouth watering prem players a skip ago, but now what? The managerial turmoil has damaged the club deeply, despite the 'names'. Whatever players we end up with, if it is Joe Piggot leading the line, then OK. What would be criminal in our situation is thinking that any managerial change would make things better. Heed the lesson of Wolves.
  • seth plum said:

Wolves are a good example of it is not so much having the players, but what you do with them. Wolves players were mouth watering prem players a skip ago, but now what? The managerial turmoil has damaged the club deeply, despite the 'names'. Whatever players we end up with, if it is Joe Piggot leading the line, then OK. What would be criminal in our situation is thinking that any managerial change would make things better. Heed the lesson of Wolves.

I agree with pretty much all you say. The folly of Wolves' panicky managerial changes was succinctly illustrated by Saunders' leaving Donny for a "bigger club" and a few months later Wolves passing Donny on their way down. However, I think it is our absolute right as paying customers to vent our criticisms of the owners, the manager, and the players as we see fit. Personally, I was highly critical of Powell's line-up that had only one man up front for many of the home games last season: such a defensive formation contributed to all those miserable defeats at The Valley. Furthermore, I wasn't alone in seeing that our midfield frailty was caused by Pritchard and Stephens misplacing their passes too often and getting knocked off the ball far too easily. Our spirited rally at the end of the season shouldn't mask the failings that went on before.

• Viewfinder, take your point. However if the poor home form can be laid at somebody's door, then the 'spirited rally' can also be given it's due.
    If you list the strengths of our management team, then the plusses easily outweigh the minuses in my view. One feature that constantly slaps you in the face is that we have created a genuine team ethic, perhaps the best since the days of the two promotions under Curbs.
    Of course be critical, but as Charlton fans I don't think criticism should become corrosive.
  • LuckyReds said:

J BLOCK said:

I read things like that and it makes me feel a bit helpless; there seems to be such a divide in this league. (Probably due to the prem clubs being relegated into it, a few clubs with rich backers etc)

How on earth are clubs with small/medium budgets meant to compete with that? We're discussing a club spending £9m on a striker, when lets face it - neither club set the league alight this year. Yet when talking about our activity in the transfer market, how much have we realistically got? Certainly nowhere near that amount to spend on multiple players, let alone one.

Makes me feel proud of our team though - they were competitive and, had a few draws been turned to wins, could've made the play offs this year. Last year we brought in, what - Lawrie Wilson (A couple of hundred grand?) and Ricardo Fuller on a free? Hats off to the lads, they did incredibly well considering.

You're discussing a silly rumour. Bolton won't spend that.
  • LuckyReds said:

J BLOCK said:

Fair point actually, I kinda forgot the thread I was in when I typed that.. ;)

That said, it's not a rumour that Blackburn splashed the cash on him last year - £8,000,000. Point still stands I guess.

Yeah I know they have parachute payments, have just fallen down from the top flight and that it did them no good anyway.. Still, you have smaller teams being thrown in with the big guys who can afford to spend more on one player than another team can spend in a whole window.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013
  • seth plum said:

Viewfinder, take your point. However if the poor home form can be laid at somebody's door, then the 'spirited rally' can also be given it's due.
    If you list the strengths of our management team, then the plusses easily outweigh the minuses in my view. One feature that constantly slaps you in the face is that we have created a genuine team ethic, perhaps the best since the days of the two promotions under Curbs.
    Of course be critical, but as Charlton fans I don't think criticism should become corrosive.

Agree with all that, Seth. The admirable team ethic will be especially valuable this coming season with what may well be a rather thin squad....

• Danny Drinkwater from Leicester apparently
  • Danny Drinkwater from Leicester apparently

Sauce?
  • DeeBee said:

Danny Drinkwater from Leicester apparently

Sauce?
    HP Sauce
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

J BLOCK said:

That said, it's not a rumour that Blackburn splashed the cash on him last year - £8,000,000. Point still stands I guess.

Yeah I know they have parachute payments, have just fallen down from the top flight and that it did them no good anyway.. Still, you have smaller teams being thrown in with the big guys who can afford to spend more on one player than another team can spend in a whole window.
    And where did it get them? Or Leicester for that matter? It took several seasons of heavy investment before Cardiff finally got out of the division. It often helps, but an open cheque book is rarely a magic wand for guaranteed success. And look at the clusterfuck that is QPR.

Conversly, 18 months ago Reading started a great end of season run and sealed promotion after signing Jason Roberts on a free transfer.

There's more than one way to build a successful football team. We should be a bit more thankful for what we have imo. I'm far happier with a modestly assembled but committed squad than a bunch of expensive mercenaries assembled to trip some chairman's ego a la Venkys and Blackburn.

We started the early nineties recently relegated, homeless and having to sell our best players every summer and replace them with cheap as chips players we hadn't always heard of, but the team spirit, a steady supply of homegrown youngsters and a great young manager meant we always managed to compete. We had to be patient but eventually we got our rewards and we were all proud of our club in a way we could never be if some oligarch had bought the equivalent of Messi and Ronaldo for us.

This, imho, is the Charlton way and long may it remain that way.
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

J BLOCK said:

And where did it get them? Or Leicester for that matter? It took several seasons of heavy investment before Cardiff finally got out of the division. It often helps, but an open cheque book is rarely a magic wand for guaranteed success. And look at the clusterfuck that is QPR.

Conversly, 18 months ago Reading started a great end of season run and sealed promotion after signing Jason Roberts on a free transfer.

There's more than one way to build a successful football team. We should be a bit more thankful for what we have imo. I'm far happier with a modestly assembled but committed squad than a bunch of expensive mercenaries assembled to trip some chairman's ego a la Venkys and Blackburn.

We started the early nineties recently relegated, homeless and having to sell our best players every summer and replace them with cheap as chips players we hadn't always heard of, but the team spirit, a steady supply of homegrown youngsters and a great young manager meant we always managed to compete. We had to be patient but eventually we got our rewards and we were all proud of our club in a way we could never be if some oligarch had bought the equivalent of Messi and Ronaldo for us.

This, imho, is the Charlton way and long may it remain that way.
    Oh no, I completely agree with you! I even said that the money didn't do those teams any good.

As for our current bunch - I think they are a great bunch and worthy of championship football. There's a brilliant team ethic and I get the impression that their all friends - no egos. Even where they may not be the best technically, they'll all pull together and put in a real shift - something which can count for a lot more than skill at times. (That's not to say we dont have skill; I think we have that in bundles. I am infact saying we have more than that) I wouldn't want to change that.

It just makes me realise just how uneven that playing field can be - but if any group of players, and any young manager, are capable of persevering then I think we've got them!

• Former England goalkeeper Scott Carson, 27, will leave Turkish team Bursaspor to sign for Championship side Wigan in an £800,000 deal.
  • Agreed Lucky, the parachute payments just completely skew the league. The only saving grace is that many of the teams that have them - Blackburn, Wolves, QPR are just complete basket cases and squirt the cash away.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!