Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• Starting team v Bournemouth: Hamer Solly Morrison Dervite Wiggins .. Pritchard Gower Jackson Harriott .. Kermorgant, Pigott .. not too much change from the outfit that finished near the play offs last season, I would argue a slightly stronger eleven, specially in midfield than last season's strongest eleven

Ah yes, but what a peculiar season it was, with most of the clubs ending up concertinaed in the middle of the table and a couple of wins being the difference between a relegation scrap and the play-offs. That was highly unusual, and not likely to happen again in a hurry. There's a case for saying finishing 9th flattered us, bearing in mind all those poor home performances. If the other clubs in the division are improving their squads and kicking on, while we are left depleted, simple logic says we are going to struggle badly. Golfie and Large aren't "whining"; they are expressing perfectly rational concerns.

There isn't a case for 9th flattering us at all. "Bearing in mind all those poor home performances" can instantly be turned around and say 9th was unfair on us, bearing in mind all those great away performances. You finish where you deserve to finish and it really is as simple as that.
  • The actual rumours for those interested are that we are apparently close to signing Wood and we want Obika but face competition from Swindon (even though as others said above I think Obika would be mad to chose Swindon over us).
  • Logic points to a suggestion that a ninth place finish one season, with very little strengthening, but with rivals strengthening a bit, that we may finish around eighteenth this coming season. If that happens, then this time next year we may have more debt, but not be any worse off facing another season in the Championship. We may have gained more time to get to grips with the financial shenanigans, the trust may have grown, and the very promising younger players will have had a year of extra maturing.
    Logic plays a very capricious part in football, but if my above reading of things is what transpires, then I will be pretty content.
  • We are obviously going to bring a coupe of strikers in, but they are going to have to be the right players at the right price. I am genuinely underwhelmed with Millwall's signings and better we get players in late who will improve us than just anybody to keep some of you lot happy. Fuller joined us into the season last year and whilst the preference would clearly be to get them in early there are options like loans that tend to be later.

We seem to be keeping Solly, Morrow, Wiggins, Hamer, Pritchard, JJ, Harriott et all, which we surely wouldn't be if things were as desperate as some seem to think. Be patient. We tonked the Scottish cup winners on Saturday - definitely no crisis!!!
  • Starting team v Bournemouth: Hamer Solly Morrison Dervite Wiggins .. Pritchard Gower Jackson Harriott .. Kermorgant, Pigott .. not too much change from the outfit that finished near the play offs last season, I would argue a slightly stronger eleven, specially in midfield than last season's strongest eleven

Ah yes, but what a peculiar season it was, with most of the clubs ending up concertinaed in the middle of the table and a couple of wins being the difference between a relegation scrap and the play-offs. That was highly unusual, and not likely to happen again in a hurry. There's a case for saying finishing 9th flattered us, bearing in mind all those poor home performances. If the other clubs in the division are improving their squads and kicking on, while we are left depleted, simple logic says we are going to struggle badly. Golfie and Large aren't "whining"; they are expressing perfectly rational concerns.

There isn't a case for 9th flattering us at all. "Bearing in mind all those poor home performances" can instantly be turned around and say 9th was unfair on us, bearing in mind all those great away performances. You finish where you deserve to finish and it really is as simple as that.
    I'm suggesting that if we were to play this coming season at exactly the same standard as we did last season, we won't finish as high as 9th.

• edited July 2013

Starting team v Bournemouth: Hamer Solly Morrison Dervite Wiggins .. Pritchard Gower Jackson Harriott .. Kermorgant, Pigott .. not too much change from the outfit that finished near the play offs last season, I would argue a slightly stronger eleven, specially in midfield than last season's strongest eleven

I'm suggesting that if we were to play this coming season at exactly the same standard as we did last season, we won't finish as high as 9th.

Why? Just because teams below us have signed players doesn't mean they have improved. Bristol city spent a lot of money last summer, including on the incredibly hyped baldock, and they got a lot worse and were relegated. Signing players does not necessarily mean getting better. Pardew signed plenty of players in the champ the summer before we got relegated, did that improve us?
  • Apparently·Swindon are interested in signing jon obika.it would be a missed opportunity for charlton i would be gutted to see him sign for someone else.

• Obika part of Spurs second half team at Swindon tonight.
  • I expect Swindon asked to see him in action - probably sign for them by the end of the week.
  • Richard J said:

Obika part of Spurs second half team at Swindon tonight.

Hopefully Powell can snatch him up,i cant see him getting alot of game for spurs this year maby a few cup games that about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• since when was logic anything to do with football? We could buy 5 new players and finish bottom, or one more and reach the play offs.
  • This forum really is missing a rumours thread where I can read real / made up stuff about who we are buying....
  • we seem to be in the perfect position if you ask me - the hardest thing is offloading the players you don't want - we seem to have done that and now have plenty of time to bring a few in that we do want. Added to the fact we haven't lost anybody, I can't see what the problem is.
  • I wish people would man up what will be will be were going to wemberleee (alright far fetched) but bloody hell some of you are pussies would you rather CAFC in the 3rd division or not at all if you had to pick one

no one on here knows what is going on behind the scenes, I have heard snippets all insinuate work is going on but FFP and the fact we are up for sale mean we cut cloth accordingly

No we aint seen piggot in a league match he may be mustard and take to it like a duck to water

but all the time we have

Hamer
    Solly
    Jacko
    Yann
    Pritchard
    Morrison
    Wiggins

things cant be too shitty or they wouldve gone

how do you lot sleep at night being so scared think of your children they don't want pussies for a father

THIS from Fanny too ! See my post on the Danny Green thread !

• Jon Obika played for Spurs at Swindon last night ! Hope that doesn't mean that a deal between Swindon and Spurs is on the cards.
  • I just have a feeling we have missed out on Obika and he will end up at Swindon. I fear if we was able to sign him it would have been done by now so he could have been out with the first team squad in Spain like Mark Gower. Hope I'm wrong.
  • edited July 2013
    heavenSE7 said:

I just have a feeling we have missed out on Obika and he will end up at Swindon. I fear if we was able to sign him it would have been done by now so he could have been out with the first team squad in Spain like Mark Gower. Hope I'm wrong.

Might be the fact Spurs are asking too much for him? Gower was a free agent.
  • Swindon haven't got any money either have they?
  • Things must be bad if we lose out on Obika to Swindon
  • edited July 2013

Starting team v Bournemouth: Hamer Solly Morrison Dervite Wiggins .. Pritchard Gower Jackson Harriott .. Kermorgant, Pigott .. not too much change from the outfit that finished near the play offs last season, I would argue a slightly stronger eleven, specially in midfield than last season's strongest eleven

Same gk, same defence, same midfield as finished last season. Much weaker strikeforce.

Cant see how it is stronger?
    Stronger in that Gower and Harriott have had longer to 'bed down' in the team, neither played many games last season. As for 'weaker strikeforce' .. only Kermorgant and Jackson (a midfielder) got into goal scoring double figure last season, hardly a sign that last season's strikers were a lethal force. Pigott may be a disaster, I am hoping that he'll be a great success and that the boo boys and grumpy addicks aren't on his case if he does not score in the first 30 seconds .. that is IF he plays of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Watford through their link up are rumoured to be getting some Brazilian midfielder on loan from Granada, played 25 games in La Liga last year. @SuperHorns ?
  • Watford through their link up are rumoured to be getting some Brazilian midfielder on loan from Granada, played 25 games in La Liga last year. @SuperHorns ?

Iriney? 32 year old who moves every couple of years between the minor clubs in La Liga (Betis, Almeria, Celta Vigo, Rayo Vallecano)

We need better
  • Apparently,chelsea bid 10m plus mata for rooney apparently (last night). Has mourinho gone mental - definitely undervaluing how good mata is...
    apparently it was also rejected by united, man utd need a mata type player though
  • that's him.

• Addick90 said:

Apparently,chelsea bid 10m plus mata for rooney apparently (last night). Has mourinho gone mental - definitely undervaluing how good mata is...
    apparently it was also rejected by united, man utd need a mata type player though

Depends if he's getting Cronaldo in the replace him
  • edited July 2013

Same gk, same defence, same midfield as finished last season. Much weaker strikeforce.

Cant see how it is stronger?
    Stronger in that Gower and Harriott have had longer to 'bed down' in the team, neither played many games last season. As for 'weaker strikeforce' .. only Kermorgant and Jackson (a midfielder) got into goal scoring double figure last season, hardly a sign that last season's strikers were a lethal force. Pigott may be a disaster, I am hoping that he'll be a great success and that the boo boys and grumpy addicks aren't on his case if he does not score in the first 30 seconds .. that is IF he plays of course.
    Could I borrow a couple of straws or are you clutching them all !
  • When does the Sky money come in? That's when we bought last year and hoping Obika has been persuaded to hang on. Jimenez is still tied up in the Wise court case.
  • Nonsense to suggest (as someone did earlier) that we can't play Piggott because he's never played for the first team at a competitive level. So what? Solly hadn't once, or Harriot for that matter.
  • You can't say we are stronger having released Haynes, Fuller and with Obika going back to Spurs. The players released and Obika scored about fifteen goals plus the various assists. How does that make us stronger? Don't buy your flimsy reason that Harriott and Gower have had more time. If we got Macheda,Sordell and Obika then we would have a chance of being stronger. As se9addick said, a lot of straw clutching going on.
  • What happened to Swindon being under a transfer embargo anyway? Or did I just imagine that?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!