Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Haynes is set to leave

Comments

• purdis said:

I'm stunned by this news, tbh. Can only assume we have some big names lined up for the Prem push.

ho ho ho...........didn't realise it was the panto season already !!!
  • No great loss tbh trimming before building.
  • tough but correct decision. See this similar to letting semedo, racon and anyinsah go. Could do a good job at the level we were at, but i still think there are better players out there.
  • purdis said:

I'm stunned by this news, tbh. Can only assume we have some big names lined up for the Prem push.

ho ho ho...........didn't realise it was the panto season already !!!
    Oh, how cynical! Why else would CAFC release so many strikers? They're not going to bring in worse replacements, are they? Oh, no, they're not!
    Look behind you :)

• It's sad that he has his injury problems, but clearly SCP didn't feel his wages justified the number of games we got out of him. I'm sure he has new strikers lined up.
  • Haynes was out of contract. We had as much entitlement to sign him as any other club..</

Wrong. There was a years option which we decided not to take up.

• In Powell we trust!
  • Going to be interesting to see how this transfer window plays out. Whoever comes in has to be better than those departing. If not we will be in big trouble.
  • Maybe we are showing a strength in the youth development that makes the mgmt think about where we spend our cash going forward

I like haynes i would like him to stay but he is not a first choice due to his injury plagued career

The season has only just finished if we are releasing and not signing players a week before it starts then worry not now chill out enjoy your summer
  • Hugely surprised about Haynes going. Yes, he had injury problems, but he also has pace, a quality we otherwise lack up front. And look at the Goal of the Season clips for two blistering strikes. Would welcome BWP back - as long as he is coached to work harder....
  • Sponsored links:

• rananegra said:

Sad to see him go, hopefully we'll retain Harriott so we still have some pace. Appreciate it's a tough call, when I saw the announcement I didn't feel good; the earlier releases were understandable in terms of the players, Haynes scored some great goals for us last season, if only he was fit more. I can see him ending up in SE14, sadly.

Harriott has very quick feet on the ball but I don't see him as a 'pacey' player who will just drift past people with ease.

Haynes is one of those who can just knock a ball past a defender and jog beyond them with ease.

I don't know if there's a quicker forward in the whole of the Championship. I haven't seen any at The Valley apart from maybe Lloyd Dyer.
  • edited May 2013
    I understand the disappointment but not the surprise at the release of Haynes. He was not first choice in League 1 starting just 3 league games and although it was really pleasing to see him up his game last season (starting 12 games) and impress with his goal tally it still has to be a huge risk to take up his option on the basis of his injury record.

It is all very well suggesting he could sort out his hamstrings, and indeed he may but you have to balance such eventuality against the fact there are other players available in the out of contract market who simply do not carry that risk. I really wish him well but with limited resources I am not sure we could afford the risk. Sadly it isn't just the cost of his salary there is also the cost of bringing in cover/ a replacement in his absence to consider, not to mention the on going disruption to the squad.
  • edited May 2013
    Good point Grapevine about the cost of bringing in a replacement! I easily forgot about that.
  • edited May 2013

Hugely surprised about Haynes going. Yes, he had injury problems, but he also has pace, a quality we otherwise lack up front. And look at the Goal of the Season clips for two blistering strikes. Would welcome BWP back - as long as he is coached to work harder....

Would be pleased if we keep BWP - I still think he could be a 20+ man at Championship level. As for the working harder bit - when he was scoring instinctive goals for fun, the one critisism was that he could work harder and when he couldn't buy a goal, he got lots of favourable comments about his workrate!
  • I think we might be surprised at who comes in, it looks to me like SCP is going to focus on 'quality' over 'quantity' next year and look to cut off squad players who either aren't good enough (BWP, Taylor, Kerkar, Waggy) or not fit enough (Haynes, Fuller) and use the cash savings to bring in some better quality players.

That's what I am hoping anyway!
  • what is it with some of you on here ??? BWP coming back - do me a favour !! CP didn't play him last season, so why would he suddenly play him next season ??

As for spending money on strikers............if we didn't do it last season when it was more important seeing as we went up a division, why are we going to do it now.
  • what is it with some of you on here ??? BWP coming back - do me a favour !! CP didn't play him last season, so why would he suddenly play him next season ??

As for spending money on strikers............if we didn't do it last season when it was more important seeing as we went up a division, why are we going to do it now.

because we had 3 strikers already here and Fuller didnt come cheap. Now we don't have 4 strikers.
  • Hugely surprised about Haynes going. Yes, he had injury problems, but he also has pace, a quality we otherwise lack up front. And look at the Goal of the Season clips for two blistering strikes. Would welcome BWP back - as long as he is coached to work harder....

Would be pleased if we keep BWP - I still think he could be a 20+ man at Championship level. As for the working harder bit - when he was scoring instinctive goals for fun, the one critisism was that he could work harder and when he couldn't buy a goal, he got lots of favourable comments about his workrate!
    A good point well made, Muttley. It was a mystery to me why BWP's "instinctive" goals dried up; remember all those missed one-on-ones with the keeper at the tail end of the 2011-12 season? Was it lack of confidence? I thought he might rediscover his old touch by getting more involved, harrying opposing defenders, perhaps dropping a bit deeper to receive the ball.

• Im sad to see Haynes go but excited to see us needing to sign 3 strikers
  • Shame he couldnt stay fit, good luck to the lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Slightly worried at the lack of strikers currently. But hopefully we manage to get 1 or 2 in as replacement.

If Haynes wasn't so injury prone, he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet. Such a shame.
  • Got hamstrings like cheese strings
  • Anyone know the real reason why rather than just speculating?
  • It's the budget and the FP regs! All the sick notes are going to be released as managers build squads on lower budgets. Why take a risk on a senior pro who may only play a handful of games????
  • If you were running a small business and had a staff member who was hugely effective but called in sick on more than half the days that they were supposed to work you'd probably understand why Powell would think about letting Haynes go. Good player, but you've still got to pay him while he's up on blocks.
  • In my opinion it sounds like we were keeping Haynes but then we had a change of mind, think CP found (what he believes) to be a better option to spend the wages on.
  • Would be pleased if we keep BWP - I still think he could be a 20+ man at Championship level. As for the working harder bit - when he was scoring instinctive goals for fun, the one critisism was that he could work harder and when he couldn't buy a goal, he got lots of favourable comments about his workrate!

BWP has never been a 20 goal a season man in the Championship and never will be. Look at his previous record with other teams in this division before he was relegated to League 1 with Plymouth. Whilst he had a 'good' season in League 1 scoring some important goals he didn't set the world alight like the top strikers at that level have done in the past (Rhodes, Lambert, Holt etc.).

My view at the start of the season was that he couldn't make the step back up to the Championship and I think CP shares the same view also. A decent League 1 striker but no more.

I'm sure Haynes is one of the better paid players on the wage bill and this coupled with his terrible injury record makes him a liability that as a club we cannot afford.

• I think this is one of the problems that SCP has created. In a good way.

In the past we have said good riddance to a lot of players, when they have been released. McOxo, Kyle Ried et al. But since last year SCP has created a team with such a spirit, and a pride for the club, that we have a real affection for them, and connection with them. The realities were that Danny was too injury prone, but like all the players that have been released so far, each one were part of that team, and will be missed.

It's nice that we are in that situation now.
  • Simon E said:

I think this is one of the problems that SCP has created. In a good way.

In the past we have said good riddance to a lot of players, when they have been released. McOxo, Kyle Ried et al. But since last year SCP has created a team with such a spirit, and a pride for the club, that we have a real affection for them, and connection with them. The realities were that Danny was too injury prone, but like all the players that have been released so far, each one were part of that team, and will be missed.

It's nice that we are in that situation now.

good point imo
  • edited May 2013
    dizzee said:

Got hamstrings like cheese strings

I like cheese strings!