Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Haynes is set to leave

123457»

Comments

• I think CP may be becoming Curbs like in that he will only keep those that he really wants around and will only buy those that he thinks will improve the squad. Maybe he needed to trim now to know what he has to spend on wage bill. As others have said, if money is available but tight, better to have a player of average ability that will be paid for 46 games and be available for 46 games rather than one that is likely be be usain bolt but only availble for 15. If someone is out for half the season, he then needs to find another pot of money to replace them, hence having to pay two players to fill one position. FFP will become a leveller soon enough and will give all clubs better bargaining power over the players and more importantly, the agents!
  • I think CP may be becoming Curbs like in that he will only keep those that he really wants around and will only buy those that he thinks will improve the squad.

I'm not being picky, but is this not what all managers do?
  • The other thing about Haynes, how much are we paying on medical bills for him? On top of his wages?
  • JonnyK said:

It's the budget and the FP regs! All the sick notes are going to be released as managers build squads on lower budgets. Why take a risk on a senior pro who may only play a handful of games????

Agree with this - even if we're not skint we'll be working to a budget, Haynes is too injury prone to keep on, think we'll spend the wages on a replacement they'll believe will play 35+ games next year, not 20 again, or less.
  • We have around 18-20 in the first team squad now that a few players have left. FFP means that a number of clubs will be letting players go this summer perhaps on the cheap to ensure that their accounts comply at the end of next season. With the quality CAFC showed in the last 8 games and the direction we are going then I would hope that the club is an attractive proposition... hopefully for Obika and a couple of others up front.
    I am sure that long term the board want the Academy to fill the gaps but are there any strikers ready for next season? Personally I would prefer Haynes stayed as we know him as do the squad and management - but let's see what happens over the summer.
  • We have some good youngsters that need to come into the squad too at this point of their development.
  • We have some good youngsters that need to come into the squad too at this point of their development.

We need senior strikers to come in. Smith, Azeez and Piggott are not ready and won't be ready next season for anything other than emergencies or the odd cameo. In fact all three would benefit from extended loans. If they were close I think we might have seen some involvement in a similar way to Feeley appearing on the bench last term. I don't think we should expect or will see much of the youngsters yet which means I see it as seven coming in. Three up front and four across the middle.

• Sorry to see him released, didn't we know he was injury prone when we signed him? Also can we guarantee his replacement will not be injured as much. In my opinion a backward step to let go a player of his quality!
  • Sorry to see him released, didn't we know he was injury prone when we signed him? Also can we guarantee his replacement will not be injured as much. In my opinion a backward step to let go a player of his quality!

Gary Rowett wasn't injury prone when we signed him and neither was Gary Poole or Cory Gibbs. Injury just happens to some people and DH falls into that category.
  • edited May 2013
    Agree SHG, I'm pretty sure this "clear out" isn't making room for youngsters, instead Powell is looking to improve on what we had. Similar things were said after our first season in League 1. In the end we signed several senior players and some of those youngsters have since dropped down the leagues. Realistically I don't think we can challenge for promotion and bring 3/4 young players through in the same season. I'd be more confident of that happening had a few of them really impressed out on loan in League 1 or 2.

With BWP almost certainly going we'll need 3 senior strikers. Smith will be 22 next season but didn't quite force his way into Colchester's side. Azeez was a sub for Wycombe in League 2 and injury ended his loan at Orient. Pigott went out on loan in the Blue Square South. It's a big step up - if any were 4th choice they'd be expected to perform, a couple of injuries and they'd be starting every week. Harriott only started for the first team after Jackson, Cook, Kerkar and Wagstaff all featured at left midfield, and he was one that really looked like he had a good chance of making it.

We might even see 1 or 2 defenders come in with Taylor and most likely Evina leaving. Suddenly the suggestion the other day that we'd sign 10 players doesn't sound too far off.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think CP may be becoming Curbs like in that he will only keep those that he really wants around and will only buy those that he thinks will improve the squad.

I'm not being picky, but is this not what all managers do?
    Not all, some might sign someone so they can get a nice brown envelope for the signing...

On a seperate note... I wonder who Redknapp and Pardew will sign next season?

• I understand the disappointment but not the surprise at the release of Haynes. He was not first choice in League 1 starting just 3 league games and although it was really pleasing to see him up his game last season (starting 12 games) and impress with his goal tally it still has to be a huge risk to take up his option on the basis of his injury record.

It is all very well suggesting he could sort out his hamstrings, and indeed he may but you have to balance such eventuality against the fact there are other players available in the out of contract market who simply do not carry that risk. I really wish him well but with limited resources I am not sure we could afford the risk. Sadly it isn't just the cost of his salary there is also the cost of bringing in cover/ a replacement in his absence to consider, not to mention the on going disruption to the squad.

Grapevine is spot on with this.
    If you look at his career since joining Ipswich in 2006 he has only featured for a reasonable number of games (Bristol City and Barnsley) in his first seasons.
    It would appear loss of form or injury limited his appearances during his subsequent seasons. No doubting his talent when fit but I doubt many clubs facing new financial restriction would be prepared to take a risk on him.

• I understand the disappointment but not the surprise at the release of Haynes. He was not first choice in League 1 starting just 3 league games and although it was really pleasing to see him up his game last season (starting 12 games) and impress with his goal tally it still has to be a huge risk to take up his option on the basis of his injury record.

It is all very well suggesting he could sort out his hamstrings, and indeed he may but you have to balance such eventuality against the fact there are other players available in the out of contract market who simply do not carry that risk. I really wish him well but with limited resources I am not sure we could afford the risk. Sadly it isn't just the cost of his salary there is also the cost of bringing in cover/ a replacement in his absence to consider, not to mention the on going disruption to the squad.

If you look at his career since joining Ipswich in 2006 he has only featured for a reasonable number of games (Bristol City and Barnsley) in his first seasons.
    It would appear loss of form or injury limited his appearances during his subsequent seasons. No doubting his talent when fit but I doubt many clubs facing new financial restriction would be prepared to take a risk on him.

I wonder whether like Fuller the door might be open to him if his wage demands were lower.
  • Richard J said:

I understand the disappointment but not the surprise at the release of Haynes. He was not first choice in League 1 starting just 3 league games and although it was really pleasing to see him up his game last season (starting 12 games) and impress with his goal tally it still has to be a huge risk to take up his option on the basis of his injury record.

I wonder whether like Fuller the door might be open to him if his wage demands were lower.
    I thought that too but it would be a dangerous waiting game on the part of Charlton to leave themselves with just Yann in the possibility that either might sign on reduced wages. I think we have to assume that both Fuller and Haynes are gone. We have to sign replacements.

• Richard J said:

I understand the disappointment but not the surprise at the release of Haynes. He was not first choice in League 1 starting just 3 league games and although it was really pleasing to see him up his game last season (starting 12 games) and impress with his goal tally it still has to be a huge risk to take up his option on the basis of his injury record.

It will probably turn into another Reo Coker situation. He won't drop wages because he thinks other teams will have him, he will spend pre season training with us and then sign for someone like Yeovil.
  • Derby,Burnley,Barnsley and Udders all interested in signing him
  • It must be extremely frustrating trying to build a consistent settled side with players like Danny Haynes. Invariably he'd come back into the team, look very dangerous, score a cracking goal or two, then suddenly get injured again and leave a large void to fill. Disappointed to hear that he's leaving but can understand Powell's decision.
  • Wish DH all the best. No doubt he'll sign for someone else and have an injury-free season (it's the charlton way). Quality player, just wish we'd seen more of him on the pitch..............
  • Wish DH all the best. No doubt he'll sign for someone else and have an injury-free season (it's the charlton way). Quality player, just wish we'd seen more of him on the pitch..............

Just dont think he has an injury free season in him. As others have said good player but not worth the waste of budget.
  • It is far too early to start making assumptions, most players will be under a sunshade by now. I am going to stay cool for a few weeks on all fronts, not that we have much of a choice the way the weather is.
  • Sponsored links:

• I understand that Haynes having talks with Smallwall about joining them on a free
  • Disappointed if true!!
  • A Man Needs to eat.
  • As has always been said , if his injury record wasn't so bad he'd be playing in the prem.
  • For Thierry Racon read Danny Haynes. If he plays more than 20 games in a season, I'll be surprised. Sicknote innit...
  • buckshee said:

As has always been said , if his injury record wasn't so bad he'd be playing in the prem.

Makes me wonder why we let him go at 16 and kept the likes of Lloyd Sam around
  • In the prem behave
  • In the prem behave

When fully fit last season he was terrorising the oppo Dyer. As soon as he got an injury he was a different player. Never quite ran at full steam as he was worried about his dental floss hamstrings.
  • buckshee said:

As has always been said , if his injury record wasn't so bad he'd be playing in the prem.

Makes me wonder why we let him go at 16 and kept the likes of Lloyd Sam around
    Completely different age group, there's 3/4 years between them.

Had a look and he was in the same age group as Lawrie Wilson and Myles Weston (the two who have probably had the best careers of that group).

Strange looking back as it wasn't long until he started appearing in Ipswich's first team.
  • Agreed that Haynes is a Prem quality player when fully fit.

Keep in mind the likes if Luke Varney, DJ Campbell etc have played in the Prem recently.