Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly, to sell or to stay

Chris Solly is the first person I would put down on our teamsheet.

However, do we sell him to raise funds for other players(assuming Mr Powell is allowed to use all the money), or do we keep one of our better players and get by as we are at present.

Comments

• Options
    Well if Paul Ince's takeover giveaway means we are close to a takeover at the moment, no.
  • Options
    He is going.
  • Options
    There is absolutely no reason to sell Solly for reinvesting in the squad. If we ever sell him, it'll be because we're skint and therefore Powell won't see a penny of it I'd imagine.

Keep him for as long as we can.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

He is going.

Sauce?
  • Options
    Heinz
  • Options
    Would love to keep him, but strongly suspect he's going to be this year's "player we sell right at the end of the transfer window". Everything this summer reeks of cashflow problems at the club, and unless the alleged takeover happens pretty sharpish, I reckon Solly will be sold to cover the shortfall in running expenses til January.
  • Options
    Second hand story but I met up with a Charlton fan who lives in Bolton at Barnsley yesterday. He lives round the corner from Dale Stephens's mum and also knows one of Stephens's best mates. They've been chatting and it seems Solly is more than pissed off that there has been no sign of any contract talks as yet. So, if true, the club might have no say. He'll probably play his contract out and then find somewhere where he'll feel appreciated.
  • Options
    'Everyone is for sale.'

If our financial problems get worse, i'd rather lose one player than go into administration.
  • Options
    All I know is that he's just had 3 of his worst games, since he's become established.

Having said that other sellable players, Wiggins, Kermo & Hamer have all been well below their best.
  • Options

Second hand story but I met up with a Charlton fan who lives in Bolton at Barnsley yesterday. He lives round the corner from Dale Stephens's mum and also knows one of Stephens's best mates. They've been chatting and it seems Solly is more than pissed off that there has been no sign of any contract talks as yet. So, if true, the club might have no say. He'll probably play his contract out and then find somewhere where he'll feel appreciated.

No offence but that sounds like a load of rubbish to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stephens was born in Bolton, so it's reasonable to assume, there could be some truth in it.

It might explain, why the players are performing so poorly.
  • Options
    Solly is a solid but unspectacular right back who has 9 months of his contract left. He isn't going to command much of a fee just like the rest of our squad, due to the piss poor management by our owners even If they wanted to raise some funds they are going to get peanuts compared to their value on a lengthy contract

And if you are trying to sell the club while selling it's best playing assets and still asking for £40m it just won't work. Jiminez will find the club back where he brought it unless something gives soon
  • Options
    Agree with BRE none of our players with less than a year on their contracts are going to command much of a fee, including Solly. I know with FFP you don'y want to commit to long term contracts but allowing your saleable assets to lose value in this way seems criminally negligent.
  • Options

Stephens was born in Bolton, so it's reasonable to assume, there could be some truth in it.

Funny I've read on various forums that he was born in Bolton, Bury, Blackburn, Oldham, Rochdale! Maybe his mum liked to travel in the red rose county?? :-)))
  • Options
    No offence taken DiscoCAFC. Like I said it was a conversation I wasn't personally privy to. What is true is that Stephens's best mate was at Barnsley to pick him up after the game to take him back to Bolton. Heard with my own ears that Dale is desperately homesick and goes back every chance he gets.
  • Options

No offence taken DiscoCAFC. Like I said it was a conversation I wasn't personally privy to. What is true is that Stephens's best mate was at Barnsley to pick him up after the game to take him back to Bolton. Heard with my own ears that Dale is desperately homesick and goes back every chance he gets.

If that's the case, it's daft that he is still with us
  • Options
    He is staying ... on a free at the end of the season so who would bother paying out now
  • Options
    Same as most. Problem is that our entire squad and management are going through this entire season with semi-uncertain futures.

That be healthy for mindsets and regardless of what people say, it will affect performance.
  • Options
    This is something that @airmanbrown points out in VOTV. We need some investment to get some stability.
  • Options
    If we sell, it'll be to cover debts and I'd imagine we'd be lucky to get £1m for him. His replacement will be Lawrie Wilson.

If he stays then we have to hope he's motivated a) by love of the club and b) that if plays well he'll get a bigger contract in a better team at the end of the season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    With 9 months left on contracts I'd be amazed if we got offers of anywhere near 7 figures for any of our players.
  • Options
    All other things being equal the length of player contracts will influence transfer fees, but if a Premier League Club were genuinely interested in any of our players they'd shell out, if only to beat the competition.

From the buyer's perspective the key question is how much do they need to spend to get the player now, not the length of the contract. Don't forget, £2-3m would be peanuts to WHU, for example, if Allardyce really rated Chris Solly and decided to buy him.

I can only assume that our players are not seen as particularly attractive to Clubs with money to spend.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Funny I've read on various forums that he was born in Bolton, Bury, Blackburn, Oldham, Rochdale! Maybe his mum liked to travel in the red rose county?? :-)))
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Stephens_(footballer)
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

With 9 months left on contracts I'd be amazed if we got offers of anywhere near 7 figures for any of our players.

exactly. take Harriott out of the equation and our whole squad wouldn't raise a million between them if (when) sold

• Options
    is it me or is jiminez and whoever else owns the fuckin club being massive dicks and also very stupid. when you invest in something, you dont just leave it for dead after 2 years, jiminez probably thinks he will get a ton of money from us, kevin cash aswell. personally i want jiminez out, michael slater out, kevin cash out, i want a board that supports chris powell. i am realistic, i know that the squad needed pruning, but i want us to know what exactly is goin on. i think we need to get the supporters trust to take over the club. personally i want jiminez and that lot to f*** off and put us into administration, then we could be bought by the supporters trust for £1. and we need to keep solly, addickupnorth, tell stephens no one wants him here, asides from like 3 great goals and 4 good passes hes done nothing.
  • Options

is it me or is jiminez and whoever else owns the fuckin club being massive dicks and also very stupid. when you invest in something, you dont just leave it for dead after 2 years, jiminez probably thinks he will get a ton of money from us, kevin cash aswell. personally i want jiminez out, michael slater out, kevin cash out, i want a board that supports chris powell. i am realistic, i know that the squad needed pruning, but i want us to know what exactly is goin on. i think we need to get the supporters trust to take over the club. personally i want jiminez and that lot to f*** off and put us into administration, then we could be bought by the supporters trust for £1. and we need to keep solly, addickupnorth, tell stephens no one wants him here, asides from like 3 great goals and 4 good passes hes done nothing.

liquid lunch Richard?
  • Options
    Someone's tired :)
  • Options

liquid lunch Richard?
    Let's hope not, he's only supposed to be 14 isn't he?
  • Options

The voice of reason is here!
  • Options
    Please mind your language. This is a family forum.