Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly, to sell or to stay

Comments

• Options
    He really is injured Rob.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Weird to say this, but that is good to hear! Will still be surprised to see him at the club in a few days though. Plenty of clubs in the prem could do with someone like him

• Options
    Rob62 said:

Weird to say this, but that is good to hear! Will still be surprised to see him at the club in a few days though.

Just keep believing, Rob

• Options
    I have been a fan for 30 years and bottom line is we have ALWAYS been a selling club - Parker proved that - so Solly leaving would be nothing new.

Players come and go and if the £2 million quid for Solly keeps the good ship afloat until better days arrive then so be it, the club is more important than one player.
  • Options
    If Solly is still here when the window shuts I'll give £10 to the Upbeats If someone pledges to do the same if he leaves.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Weird to say this, but that is good to hear! Will still be surprised to see him at the club in a few days though. Plenty of clubs in the prem could do with someone like him
    Not to sure about Solly playing in the Prem. In between trips to the Valley, I get freebies to watch Norwich City saw them play Everton on the first day of the season and Southampton yesterday. The quality of players in the Prem is far greater than the Championship.
    Chris Solly is a very good footballer for Charlton and may make a squad player in the Prem, but i'm not sure he's good enough to go straight into a team.
  • Options
    He is better than jenkinson imo and jenks is living the dream atm. Im sure it will be a massive challenge for solly but I also think its a challenge solly can handle.

Only joking if any scouts are lurking on here.
  • Options

I have been a fan for 30 years and bottom line is we have ALWAYS been a selling club - Parker proved that - so Solly leaving would be nothing new.

Players come and go and if the £2 million quid for Solly keeps the good ship afloat until better days arrive then so be it, the club is more important than one player.

Apart from say Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, everyone is a selling club really.

This is liable to be pure fiction but I heard yesterday that Arsenal made a bid. Probably complete rubbish but I'd happily take £2.5m plus for him, if we are selling him then it's a shame we didn't do it 6 or 8 weeks ago.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If Solly is still here when the window shuts I'll give £10 to the Upbeats If someone pledges to do the same if he leaves.

I'll take that pledge Len.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Jack Hunt went to Palace for around £2million so if Solly does go then at least the same amount.

How long did Hunt have on his contract though?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shirty5 said:

Jack Hunt went to Palace for around £2million so if Solly does go then at least the same amount.

How long did Hunt have on his contract though?
    Yes and this is the silly situation we find ourselves in. Even now clubs might baulk at paying even 500k now when they could get him for less in Jan or on a free next summer. Quiet word with his agent telling him the club will pay him x amount pw and a nice signing on fee next summer and even if offered one by us now he might decide not to sign it. Who could blame him?
  • Options
    For me it all depends on how much the offer on the table is and what that money is used for. If its enough to cover the extended contracts of the majority of our playing squad, which in turn will lead to Powell signing on too, then selling would, for me, be the right option.
  • Options

@RichCawleySLP: Had heard whispers of Fulham being interested in Chris Solly over the weekend but CP says there has been no bids or enquiries. #cafc
  • Options
    Bubble said:

@RichCawleySLP: Had heard whispers of Fulham being interested in Chris Solly over the weekend but CP says there has been no bids or enquiries. #cafc

Fulham signed Sascha Riether on a permanent deal this window. The right back that was brilliant for them last season. Must rule Solly out.
  • Options
    If Solly leaves, I think you'll find Morrison becomes the replacement Right Back with Cort/Dervite Central Defence partnership taking over in the middle and Wood as back-up for them and Wilson back-up for Morrison. Unless, of course, we sign a replacement for Solly.
  • Options
    Morrison right back no thank you
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

If Solly leaves, I think you'll find Morrison becomes the replacement Right Back with Cort/Dervite Central Defence partnership taking over in the middle and Wood as back-up for them and Wilson back-up for Morrison. Unless, of course, we sign a replacement for Solly.

As your name sake would say - "I don't believe it!"
  • Options
    If he's injured I'm the queen of sheba, now where's me dress..
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

thats where he played saturday basically

• Options
    I think if Solly leaves we'll sign someone else on Loan and either Wilson will be played at Right-Back or we'd play 3-5-2 more often (this)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicholas said:

I second that

• Options

Nicholas said:

No he didn't, he played as the right-sided centre half in a 3-5-2 and covered Wilson who played a s a wing back.
  • Options
    razil said:

If he's injured I'm the queen of sheba, now where's me dress..

He is definitely injured.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

No he didn't, he played as the right-sided centre half in a 3-5-2 and covered Wilson who played a s a wing back.
    that might've been how they were supposed to play, but most of the time we were set up with him at RB and Wiggins at LB with Wilson in front of him in a narrow 4 man midfield
  • Options

Nicholas said:

that might've been how they were supposed to play, but most of the time we were set up with him at RB and Wiggins at LB with Wilson in front of him in a narrow 4 man midfield
    Looked very much like a 3-5-2 to me.
  • Options
    For the record, I don't want Morrison at Right Back either, but Powell and Morrison have been quoted before as recognising him as someone who can play in that position...................and, for me, Morrison WAS playing Right Back on Saturday, behind Wilson.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

For the record, I don't want Morrison at Right Back either, but Powell and Morrison have been quoted before as recognising him as someone who can play in that position...................and, for me, Morrison WAS playing Right Back on Saturday, behind Wilson.

Who was playing left back then?
  • Options
    Wiggins!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

thats how I saw it, admitedly there were times you could tell they were trying to get the shape of 3 centre backs, but most of the time it was pretty disjointed, not complaining as we won, but I'm not a fan of the system personally.
  • Options
    Certainly Morrison was advancing down the right hand side a lot for a CB, much more than Dervite the left sided CB, so it was 3-5-2, but with hints of 4-4-2!

As for Solly, I want him to stay ideally, but not if his contract runs down to nothing (though as he's under 24 we would get something for him).